Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Fimeg

macrumors regular
Jun 12, 2013
Weird. I'm running 10.1.2 (legit of course) and never saw the update. I'll try to reinstall. However, it does work on Yosemite with that tweak.

fs454

macrumors 68000
Dec 7, 2007
Los Angeles / Boston
The real world uses either Avid or FCP lol

I'm (very) in the real world, and we solely use Premiere inhouse, and require Premiere for any out-of-house jobs so we can work with the project files easily. Hasn't been an area of contention for anyone we've worked with, and we push BIG jobs.

Many of the big edit houses here in LA use Premiere. Sunset Edit, Milk, etc are all big Premiere houses.

Many seasoned editors, sports media and news organizations still use Avid, but honestly nobody uses FCP anymore. 10 is far too simplified and the interface is choppy on even the highest end Mac Pros, and FCP7 is far too old at this point - it can only address two 32-bit cores, 4GB of RAM, and limited if any GPU acceleration. This is why it crashes so damn often.

Premiere is cutting edge in terms of hardware support and on-the-fly transcoding of nearly all codecs, operates exactly like FCP7 and isn't absurdly expensive or complicated to train on. No reason not to use it over Avid unless you're doing a feature.

bjb.butler

macrumors 6502a
Aug 18, 2008
Southern California
If you made a Time Machine backup of Mavericks before you installed Yosemite, you can be back in Mavericks in a matter of moments with everything running. If not, download Mavericks (if need be) and install again.

How exactly does one download Mavericks again? I know there are tons of torrents out there, but torrents are blocked on my campus, and I need to downgrade. Thanks

Antoni Nygaard

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2009
Denmark
How exactly does one download Mavericks again? I know there are tons of torrents out there, but torrents are blocked on my campus, and I need to downgrade. Thanks

I you already downloaded Mavericks before in the App Store go to the purchased section and download it.

cjmillsnun

macrumors 68020
Aug 28, 2009
Time for me to drop out of college then. This is ridiculous.

Why do you update a computer's OS as soon as it comes out when you depend on the computer for work or school?

Never ever, EVER update an operating system without checking compatibility with all of your apps. That can be done with a simple google search.

n-evo

macrumors 68000
Aug 9, 2013
Amsterdam
Does Apple prevent you from reinstalling OS X Mavericks? If not I'm finding this all to be a little bit dramatic. I totally appreciate it sucks you can't run this app on OS X Yosemite, but let's not pretent there are no other options.

AkuskaUK

macrumors 6502
Mar 18, 2011
Shanklin, Isle Of Wight
You need to update FCPX to the current version 10.1.3. Your old version will not run on Yosemite. 10.0.8 the version your running is 4 or 5 updates old. That's why is doesn't work.

Hopes this helps.

Can't you just upgrade to 10.1.3 ? It's working fine on Yosemite for me so far.

EDIT: Wow, sorry for being redundant, others posted nearly at the same time.

Was about to reply this too!

neil1980

macrumors 6502
Nov 1, 2008
Out of interest does 10.1.2 work ok with Yosemite?

Heard bad things about 10.1.3 so held of updating... failing that I guess its stick with what I get till the next FCP update

n-evo

macrumors 68000
Aug 9, 2013
Amsterdam
Mavericks is no longer available in the app store, so unless you previously downloaded Mavericks, you won't be able to download it anymore.
It's safe to say someone downloaded OS X Mavericks at some point if said person ran OS X Mavericks before. Even if your Mac shipped with OS X Mavericks and you never downloaded it yourself it's still added to your Apple ID.

DisplacedMic

macrumors 65816
May 1, 2009
Yes because it's so funny. *******.

well that and this:

combined with the fact that you've obviously got a pirated version of the software...yeah, it's kind of funny.

For future reference, I always backup before I do almost anything - especially a major update like this.

and i never ever ever push an update on release day or soon there after on a mission critical computer.

neil1980

macrumors 6502
Nov 1, 2008
Out of interest does 10.1.2 work ok with Yosemite?

Heard bad things about 10.1.3 so held of updating... failing that I guess its stick with what I get till the next FCP update

I decided to give it a go seeing as I still have time to roll back to Mavericks before I really need FCP.

10.1.2 opens up ok, not had chance to test it any further.

poematik13

macrumors 65816
Jun 5, 2014
I'm (very) in the real world, and we solely use Premiere inhouse, and require Premiere for any out-of-house jobs so we can work with the project files easily. Hasn't been an area of contention for anyone we've worked with, and we push BIG jobs.

Many of the big edit houses here in LA use Premiere. Sunset Edit, Milk, etc are all big Premiere houses.

Many seasoned editors, sports media and news organizations still use Avid, but honestly nobody uses FCP anymore. 10 is far too simplified and the interface is choppy on even the highest end Mac Pros, and FCP7 is far too old at this point - it can only address two 32-bit cores, 4GB of RAM, and limited if any GPU acceleration. This is why it crashes so damn often.

Premiere is cutting edge in terms of hardware support and on-the-fly transcoding of nearly all codecs, operates exactly like FCP7 and isn't absurdly expensive or complicated to train on. No reason not to use it over Avid unless you're doing a feature.

The thing with LA is that it's crowded and full of niches and cliques of production people that work in certain ways. In my universe over there, narrative projects are done on avid or fcp and premiere is mostly for one-man-bands that use the entire adobe suite to do different things. whatever floats your boat i guess.

personally, it took me hours just to figure out premiere and i loathe using it but i was cutting away in fcp x within minutes of downloading the app. its way more intuitive and eventually everything will move in that direction.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.