Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macgeek2005

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 31, 2006
someguy said:
Erasing as in formatting? Disk zeroing? What does unplugging the machine do to fix a "broken" hard drive?

Just, a plain erase, using Disk Utility.

Josh

macrumors 68000
Mar 4, 2004
State College, PA
macgeek2005 said:
Just, a plain erase, using Disk Utility.

When you erase your drive, and re-install OS X (if you do), and continue to have trouble, please do not create a new thread.

You've been given the proper advice, but are not taking it. Erasing the files on a drive that is physically failing will leave you with nothing more than a failed disk that is empty.

macgeek2005

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 31, 2006
Josh said:
When you erase your drive, and re-install OS X (if you do), and continue to have trouble, please do not create a new thread.

You've been given the proper advice, but are not taking it. Erasing the files on a drive that is physically failing will leave you with nothing more than a failed disk that is empty.

I started a thread asking how to make iChat work. You guys didn't know what to do. You gave some suggestions, and they didn't work. So now, i'm just doing what I think I can do. Erasing a hard drive can solve problems, if the problem was cause of corrupted files or code.

Suspended
Dec 27, 2003
Haha!!

macgeek2005 said:
I started a thread asking how to make iChat work. You guys didn't know what to do. You gave some suggestions, and they didn't work. So now, i'm just doing what I think I can do. Erasing a hard drive can solve problems, if the problem was cause of corrupted files or code.

Dude, you have NO IDEA what you are doing, do you?

It's okay, you can admit it.

Josh

macrumors 68000
Mar 4, 2004
State College, PA
macgeek2005 said:

It seems it was pointed out that your drive is failing.

If that is the case, it is not due to corrupted files or code, but the drive itself actually failing - in which no amount of erases and re-installs will fix.

someguy

macrumors 68020
Dec 4, 2005
Still here.
macgeek2005 said:
Erasing a hard drive can solve problems, if the problem was cause of corrupted files or code.
You've been told numerous times that the message you received upon startup pointed to hardware failure of some sort. That said, good luck with your format.
I mean that, I'm not being sarcastic or anything.
Let us know how it goes. :)

Suspended
Dec 27, 2003
Yes, but...

macgeek2005 said:
"No Repairs were Neccesary".

That's what I got after erasing the hard drive.

Same thing happened to me last summer...three days later my hard drive dead and completely unmountable.

Best of luck to you though, I'm sure you know exactly what you are doing.

macgeek2005

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 31, 2006
appleretailguy said:
Same thing happened to me last summer...three days later my hard drive dead and completely unmountable.

Best of luck to you though, I'm sure you know exactly what you are doing.

Well, i'll keep all my stuff backed up just in case, it's not like I don't have enough external hard drives.

Suspended
Dec 27, 2003
Well then...

macgeek2005 said:
Well, i'll keep all my stuff backed up just in case, it's not like I don't have enough external hard drives.

Well then.

aquajet

macrumors 68020
Feb 12, 2005
VA
Have you used a program such as Disk Warrior to do a surface scan? Failing sectors on a drive can cause weird behavior.

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Mar 16, 2004
Andover, MA
aquajet said:
Have you used a program such as Disk Warrior to do a surface scan? Failing sectors on a drive can cause weird behavior.
FWIW, assuming you already have a backup, a new HD often costs a lot less than DW - which is a great app when it works, but it is a very expensive app if it doesn't.

macgeek2005

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 31, 2006
Alright, i'm up and running. It's working great, I did software update, downloaded all the TONS of software that I use, like FireFox and stuff..... and now, 3 hours later.... my computer is back where it was! Yay!

MazaGRANDEman

macrumors member
Jan 22, 2003
macgeek2005 said:
Alright, i'm up and running. It's working great, I did software update, downloaded all the TONS of software that I use, like FireFox and stuff..... and now, 3 hours later.... my computer is back where it was! Yay!

But the real question is, does the iChat work? :D

What! Someone had to ask it!

macgeek2005

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 31, 2006
MazaGRANDEman said:
But the real question is, does the iChat work? :D

What! Someone had to ask it!

Yes yes, it works, it works. It's all good. My hard drive is fine. Erasing it really does fix problems. I've done it 3 times within the last few weeks. On different computers.

Spanky Deluxe said:
Failing that, try kissing it better, kissing macs is very underated.

I second kissing the mac... Also, why not just do a repair and install? Keeps all your stuff you currently have installed, fixes broken OSX apps, and makes you reinstall all the updates from scratch. Just make sure to make a backup to some other media (I prefer external HDD, tape and DVD) of your user folder. Anyway, it would take some time but since you've already probably messed up some stuff goofing around trying to fix this the hard way, you might as well just do the whole thing....

Cheers! If you need anymore help, just email me or IM me on yahoo (they have an online service browser-based service too).

Oh, and chill out, until you've had a $200,000 piece of equipment just not turn on before and it takes 6 months to get a new one, you don't have a right to freak this much. Hell, even then I just had some coffee, punched a hole in the wall, and went on with my life.

killmoms

macrumors 68040
Jun 23, 2003
Durham, NC
uberpenguin said:
Oh, and chill out, until you've had a $200,000 piece of equipment just not turn on before and it takes 6 months to get a new one, you don't have a right to freak this much. Hell, even then I just had some coffee, punched a hole in the wall, and went on with my life.
Woah, snap! What kind of equipment was that, if you don't mine my asking? I'm curious.

zerolight

macrumors 6502a
Mar 6, 2006
Glasgow
macgeek2005 said:
Yes yes, it works, it works. It's all good. My hard drive is fine. Erasing it really does fix problems. I've done it 3 times within the last few weeks. On different computers.

I've just been reading through this slightly old thread and am wondering what happened to macgeeks hard drive over the past few months?

I know that running disk utility won't do a surface scan which will highlight bad sectors of a drive. I also know that erasing the drive won't repair those bad sectors but rather just exclude them. So the drive may look like its repaired. But once a drive starts failing it keeps on going, and more and more sectors start to go until one day the drive won't even boot and it's too late to do anything about it.

I'm amazed, given how cheap HDDs are these days, that he didn't just bung in a fresh, new, faster, larger HDD in there before reinstalling his OS. It's not like he's running an iMac where he can't get two drives in there at once.

haleyvan

macrumors regular
Feb 26, 2006
why would you ever ask "who uses ichat?" and tell him to just get adium. the whole point of having ichat is the multiple video and audio conferencing ability. adium has none of those. ichat is built into osx. it should work. adium isn't that great except for the customizability. get over adium.

Edit: wow didnt realize how old this post is.

Tommygun45

macrumors newbie
Sep 23, 2008
Same Problem

I am running Mac OS X 10.4.11. When I run either ICHAT OR ADIUM the exact same problem occurs.... When i simply double click a buddies name in my buddy list, the IM window will pop open, and then the program will vanish. I have an error log but its pretty long. Here are the first few lines....

Date/Time: 2008-09-24 00:38:18.228 -0400
OS Version: 10.4.11 (Build 8S165)
Report Version: 4

Command: Adium
Path: /Applications/Adium.app/Contents/MacOS/Adium
Parent: WindowServer [1659]

Version: 1.3.1 (1.3.1)

PID: 1751
Thread: 0

Exception: EXC_BAD_INSTRUCTION (0x0002)
Code[0]: 0x00000002
Code[1]: 0x9dcbaf30

Thread 0 Crashed:
0 com.apple.WebCore 0x9dcbaf30 WebCore::JSHTMLBodyElement::put(KJS::ExecState*, KJS::Identifier const&, KJS::JSValue*, int) + 0

HERE IT IS FOR ICHAT

Date/Time: 2008-09-24 00:39:50.419 -0400
OS Version: 10.4.11 (Build 8S165)
Report Version: 4

Command: iChat
Path: /Applications/iChat.app/Contents/MacOS/iChat
Parent: WindowServer [1659]

Version: 3.1.9 (446)
Build Version: 1
Project Name: iChat
Source Version: 4460000

PID: 1764
Thread: 0

Exception: EXC_BAD_INSTRUCTION (0x0002)
Code[0]: 0x00000002
Code[1]: 0x9d9e3300

Thread 0 Crashed:
0 com.apple.WebCore 0x9d

The ironic thing is that AIM itself actually works pretty flawlessly. But I dont like it on my mac id like to use a fancier program. Anyone have any ideas here? Ive looked around alot and Ive already tried deleting all of the plist's from the library, to no avail. Thanks for any help.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.