Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mr Rogers

macrumors regular
Oct 24, 2003
Hong Kong
@pifman,

Your graphic illustrations is fine - however, whilst the iMac has not seen a significant design overhaul since October 2009 - a classic inspired design in my opinion despite a few niggling technical issues - it may prove better for Apple just to iron out engineering problems on this refresh - upgraded USB3, RAM, HDD, CPU and GPU - rather than launch a new design now that fails to incorporate significant gains expected from the next generation of Intel chips, namely Haswell.

As such, I'm hoping just for an upgrade on this occasion as my iMac BTO i7 27in 2011 revision still has lots of life left in it - a Haswell designed iMac, perhaps even with a upgraded LCD panel makes more sense with Haswell and expected upgraded mobile GPU's in 2013, rather than today.

Anyway, having sold one 2011 BTO iMac in May this year in hope of the June refresh and only requiring another iMac for my parents use - a cheaper refurbished 21in i5 or 27in i5 will be welcome news - the 2011 models having more than enough power for what my parents do.

Antares

macrumors 68000
I am so stoked as well as this will be my fist Mac. Is it really true, Mac computers hold up really well and last years (had yours since 2006)?

Yep. And mine was a first model (Revision A)...which many people say to avoid. The first of the Apple products to use Intel chips. Those people who say to avoid "Revision A products" are dead wrong...I've bought several first generation products from Apple over the years and have never had a single problem with any of them.

The only problem I had with my current iMac was that my hard drive died earlier this year. But a hard drive lasting 6 years of extremely heavy use is pretty good. I replaced that hard drive, myself, with more hassle than I would have wished. That's the only negative.

I just hope the new iMac will not be any more difficult to replace the hard drive. That is the only part that you really have to worry about failing on most computers. All hard drives will fail, eventually.

Lancer

macrumors 68020
Jul 22, 2002
Australia
My new 27 incher that I bought on 4 Oct is still working well.

A bit disappointing that I had to buy it so close to the new models coming out but hey, it's still a great machine (setting up new office so needed it by 4 Oct at the latest).

If delivery of the 27 inchers is late November then I'll be happy enough that I didn't try to bridge the (time) gap somehow.

I'd suggest just keeping it for say 2 years, with Apple care any new owner will have 1 year of cover. I'm sure the 2011 will serve you well for the next 2 years.

----------

Didn't realize it's been right on 3 years since the current design was launched... it's time for something new :)

Confuzzzed

macrumors 68000
Aug 7, 2011
Liverpool, UK
Superb ... my Student Card expires on the 20th of October ... So no bloody discount on this thing ! As if they knew ....

Order it on 19th Oct and if a new iMac is launched on 24th, you will no doubt get the new one. Or buy it from an Apple store directly, don't open it and take it back on the 24th to swap it for the new one!!

JackieTreehorn

macrumors 6502
May 22, 2005
Amsterdam
I want to do this but I'm concerned about the what to do with the thermal sensor. How did you handle it?

I let a certified Apple tech do it - he told me he needed to add software to deal with the thermal sensor. I nodded, told him to do what was needed, and within an hour I was installing OSX 10.8 on my SSD (crucial M4).

I am quite sure that you can swap SSD yourself, but I'd rather pay a bit more money and be on the safe side by letting a certified tech guy do it.

sasasule

macrumors member
Feb 25, 2011
Netherlands
how can you guys afford to refresh your Imac every year that there is a refresh?...are you guys rich? do you sell the older one? I have a 2010 Imac, and I don't see how I can expend $3,000 bucks only 2 years later without selling my car or something, how do you guys do it? Seriously...

Good thing with Apple product is they keep value longer then for example any other PC vendor...So yes at list what I do I buy unit use it for year or year and half and then i sell it...I add little bit more cash and I get new unit...Only first initial investment is higher but later on it is not so expensive to refresh unit with minor investing...To give you example

Bought first iMac BTO for 3000EUR
Sold after 18month of use for 2000EUR

iMac at end cost me 1000/18month = 55EUR/month

Now I have 2000EUR ready for new iMac and extra that I will need to add will not be 3000 but only maybe 1000-1200EUR...

On this way you can have new unit all time but you will not need to invest too much money...In long run it will pay out..

I doing same with my iPhone...take one use it for 2years sell it and invest cash that you get plus add little bit more and buy new iPhone...

yes, agree here... sometimes this is insane.
Not insane it is invest one time and on long run you will have benefit from it.

cybercap

macrumors newbie
Aug 1, 2010
Very likely the all new iMac to be Retina Display, but 4k2k will be the Top Resolution on any Mac, so the iMac 27 when Available will have a 4K2K panel too.

i'd love to see that but i don't think so :(
i'm pretty sure we won't see any retina on the new iMacs, and hardly any change in the screen at all apart from the protection glass glued to the panel to reduce reflections

theluggage

macrumors 604
Jul 29, 2011
Very likely the all new iMac to be Retina Display, but 4k2k will be the Top Resolution on any Mac, so the iMac 27 when Available will have a 4K2K panel too.

RMBP = 2880x1800 pixels, ~ 220 ppi
27" iMac = 2650x1440 pixels, ~ 112ppi

...but, "retina" depends on the angular resolution of the eye, so you have to factor in the viewing distance. So, although the pixels on the 27" are about twice as big, if you view them from double the distance then the angular size is the same as for the rMBP.

Of course, that's a piece of string but I don't think it's too unreasonable to suggest that people typically look at a big 27" iMac screen from twice as far away as a 15" MBP.

Personally, I wouldn't hold my breath for a "retina" 27" - more likely might be a smaller ~21" iMac with the same pixel density as the rMBP.

Hakone

macrumors 6502a
Oct 5, 2011
Southern California
Like this? I dunno... The silver/white keyboard and white mouse are a dubious match. They'd have to make the whole kit black. And then, any white cables would stick out like a sore thumb. It's a slippery slope, and at the bottom is an iMac that looks just like an HP/Dell AIO if you squint.

That would look so awesome in my office. It's kinda got a lot of gray and dark wood so this would be an excellent fit.

Thanks for the pic! :)

krravi

macrumors 65816
Nov 30, 2010
Yep. And mine was a first model (Revision A)...which many people say to avoid. The first of the Apple products to use Intel chips. Those people who say to avoid "Revision A products" are dead wrong...I've bought several first generation products from Apple over the years and have never had a single problem with any of them.

The only problem I had with my current iMac was that my hard drive died earlier this year. But a hard drive lasting 6 years of extremely heavy use is pretty good. I replaced that hard drive, myself, with more hassle than I would have wished. That's the only negative.

I just hope the new iMac will not be any more difficult to replace the hard drive. That is the only part that you really have to worry about failing on most computers. All hard drives will fail, eventually.

The Hard Drive replacement has been made impossible by Apple starting from 2011 iMac's I think. You have to short the wires and run some fan control software..

Wonder how hard it is going to be in the new one...

----------

LOL!

Blu-ray is dead. This is a 4K/8K era. I never understood all the Apple critics dissing Apple because no BD in Macs when 4K/8K trumps Blu-ray. :confused:

I am looking forward to a thinner iMac sans optical drive.

Good luck downloading those 4k videos from iTunes. Your ISP will be on your back.

Mago

macrumors 68030
Aug 16, 2011
Beyond the Thunderdome
cybercap:
at least the Retina iMac 21 is not a fantasy, you can find it screen is currentrly build by Sharp, some difuculty as with rMBP but Retina iMac is true.

theluggage:
What I cant find is realiable info on 27" or maybe 31"4k2k panels, so at least a new iMac 27 is less likely than R-iMac 21, may receive new chipset but I dont beleieve the iMac 27 to have a Retina Follow on, at least this year.

lemonhead118

macrumors newbie
Oct 17, 2012
I really hope the base model for this new one has a price point of £999. If it does I can get one in March.

LagunaSol

macrumors 601
Apr 3, 2003
I am so stoked as well as this will be my fist Mac. Is it really true, Mac computers hold up really well and last years (had yours since 2006)?

Absolutely. My wife is still using a 2006 iMac. As are my kids. As is my mother-in-law. As are a couple of friends and a coworker. We picked up a boatload of them on a university bookstore closeout. They take a licking but keep on ticking.

That said, I will soon retire my 2009 (pre-unibody) 24" iMac to my wife and upgrade to the newest model once it's announced. Hoping a 2TB drive will come standard.

I will miss the 24" though. It seems like the ideal size sweet spot. Not too big, not too small. Just right.

Looking forward to what I hope will be a huge performance boost in Parallels/Win 7 from my current machine.

Antares

macrumors 68000
The Hard Drive replacement has been made impossible by Apple starting from 2011 iMac's I think. You have to short the wires and run some fan control software..

Wonder how hard it is going to be in the new one...

----------

QUOTE]

I believe the only fan mods/shorting of wires are required when installing an SSD or an extra drive. Replacing a stock drive for another similar one shouldn't cause a problem.

That said, I just hope its not MORE difficult for the upcoming models...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.