Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

unfrostedpoptar

macrumors regular
Jan 29, 2010
If I'd spent $700 on a used iMac and found out that it was in unusable condition - I'd have protested to the seller and if that failed to eBay.

Did and did. The $700 loss was AFTER I got money back from eBay/PayPal. That brings up another lesson. If there's something wrong, don't be nice and reasonable and try and work with the seller. And, if for some reason you do, don't have any money the seller gives you for repairs go through PayPal.

I worked with the seller for several weeks - lugging the 27" iMac back and forth to the store. He was reasonable at first and payed me back for the repairs. However, at the end, he wouldn't pay or even return my messages - or even eBay's messages. And, because the money he had sent me was through PayPay and referenced the original eBay purchase, eBay marked that money as a seller refund which was deducted from my purchase price when they ruled in my favor. Therefore, I ended up eating all the repair costs - and returning the iMac to the seller - and paying for that shipping!

I was an idiot since most Macs on eBay only go for a little more than the cost of a refurb on Apple's site - which includes a year warranty! I try not to think about it :)

Elsmar

macrumors member
Oct 5, 2008
West Chester, Ohio, USA
<snip> So, if you fix anything yourself, you void all existing AND FUTURE warranties!!!
Not unusual. Break the seal and warranties are void, including "future" warranties", on many products. That certainly isn't unique to Apple.

Personally I have never bought anything off of Craigslist or Ebay and have no desire to. I do not doubt a person can sometimes get "good deals', but I'll stick with reputable companies and have repairs to broken electronics (or other items for that matter) made by certified service centers.

WilliamDu

macrumors 6502
May 22, 2012
What impatience!

The grousing on here by the folks worrying about earthshakers like the huge upgrades from 2009 to 2011 has been fun reading as I sit here working away with my PowerPC G5 dual 2.3 GHz, 2.5 GB DDR2 SDRAM, 320GB HD boat anchor from 2005 or so. My OS got stuck at 10.5.8 when Apple left we ancients in the dusty past history.
If you really want to complain about something, fuss about talking to a 1964 IBM 1401 with a handful of punched cards that you had to punch yourself!
I have a suspicion that whatever Apple puts in their top of the line 2012 27" is going to be entirely satisfactory as long as I can run the RAM up to at least 12GB myself and get the thing delivered with a 2TB hard disc installed.
I think I can live without SDD, and agreeably without Retina to replace my ancient 21" 2004 Apple display. And I think I can wait for a delivery sometime this year although November would be nice.
From the standpoint of 50 years in the computer business, all of you fellow Apple loyalists have it really super guys, so calm down, have a little more patience, and in a couple of weeks or so you're going to have a computer that would make some of us weep for joy!
It will be a different universe even from my 1984 Little Mac.
This forum is very enjoyable, which of course is what it's for.
Hang in there, folks - Apple will do their thing.
Dream on, you only have about a week left for imaginative projection.:)

Last edited:

krravi

macrumors 65816
Nov 30, 2010
After griping about the iMacs and how they use laptop components and how it will never be as fast my PC(Core i7, 9GB RAM, 1 TB Hard Disk,nVidia GTX 260) I took my now defunct PC and tried to install Mac OS X Lion.

I wanted to do it for fun and was never going to use it for work or home.

So after 4 hours of struggle and mix and match of drivers, finally got everything working. Its such a wierd feeling to be running Mac OS on a PC. In fact I am typing this from my PC which is a Mac now.

So how do I feel about it? Are things zippy and smoking fast? Actually no. They are pretty much the same and if not slower, must be the drivers. I really don't know.

Then I go sit on my iMac and things are so silky smooth... Well there is a reason they are pricey after all. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.