Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sdhalpern

macrumors member
Dec 12, 2006
Washington, DC
Specs?

Any idea what the tech specs should be on the 21.5"? Specifically wondering whether we will see the following:

-3rd generation Intel chips (Ivy Bridge)

-No clue on what graphics cards are making waves right now. Can someone clue me in on what we can expect from apple? I'm specifically evaluating this computer with starcraft 2 in mind. (Yes I will probably boot camp it to max graphics)

bobob

macrumors 68040
Jan 11, 2008
Do desktop computers really need to get thinner?

Sounds like the classic symptoms of anorexia to me...

ipodmac

macrumors regular
Sep 23, 2012
UK
This sounds like good news for those awaiting the new iMac's. However, if they're going to be released a day after the anticipated iPad Mini event, I seriously doubt we'll see a majorly updated design as some have speculated. I would like to think they'd use an event to show off a refresh of the design.
So I am thinking another round of spec bumps is what we'll see this year.

Why? I expect all the products announced to be available next day except for the iPad.

podlasek

macrumors member
Feb 28, 2008
USA
WOW, this has to be the longest I've personally owned an Apple product(in a long time) that wasn't replaced in 1 year or less with a bigger, badder, faster machine:eek::D:D

element1108

macrumors member
Oct 8, 2008
Toronto
Not to get too off topic, but that describes all the iPods save one. Apart from the Touch, none of them can stream or play games or connect to the cloud, including the Nano that came out last week.

Oh wow, I thought they would have implemented that for sure...I obviously don't know a darn thing about the ipods anymore.

Oh well, thanks for info mate.
:cool:

DennisD7

macrumors member
Jul 17, 2012
London, UK
because it took six months to engineer a case that no-one, except the foolhardy or iFixit, will want to open and make some handy upgrades....

gradually, Apple is eliminating all customers with a bent on making their own little upgrades, like replacing the DVD with a caddy + SSD, fitting their own SSD with handy cables by OWC.

I've come to the conclusion that Apple really 'hates' a certain subsection of it's users, people like the folk who come on these forums looking for advice on how to fit an SSD in a 2009 iMac.

If this is the case with the new iMac, it'll have to be a new 'old style' MBP, one of the few remaining Apple machines that can be 'upgraded' without paying the Apple Tax.

I actually believe this version will be more user accessible than the current one. Sometimes Apple do listen to what users want, and this is a desktop after all (also: Steve Jobs is gone, so some of the obsessiveness might have faded).

The screen will be glued to the glass, so opening it up does not immediately increase the risk of dust between the glass and the screen. It also makes it easier to reach the internals without having to go through a lot of screws.

Kefa

macrumors newbie
Oct 16, 2012
Great!!

Superb ... my Student Card expires on the 20th of October ... So no bloody discount on this thing ! As if they knew ....

HarryKNN21

macrumors regular
May 25, 2012
Hong Kong
I guess the top end iMac would have GTX GPU, as no GT680M GPU exists, if so it would be great.

But this makes me looks so stupid to buy a 15" MBP prior to this iMac release:(

Any guess on the spec bump?

vikpt

macrumors regular
Feb 20, 2012
13 in retina Macbook Pro plus an iMac next week??? :eek: OMG! Finally!!! *faints*

timcullis

macrumors member
Oct 9, 2012
London
... if they're going to be released a day after the anticipated iPad Mini event, I seriously doubt we'll see a majorly updated design as some have speculated... I am thinking another round of spec bumps is what we'll see this year.

Which I am quite happy with. Not interested in retina. Don't see the point in a thinner case. Quite happy to retain optical drive.

What I want is
- up-to-date chipset with USB3,
- up-to-date CPU and graphics,
- non-glare 27" or larger screen and
- maybe higher capacity hard and solid state disk drives.

freddiecable

macrumors 6502a
May 16, 2003
Sweden
It's really entertaining reading the joy from such a "small thing" :D

I join the choir of exciting voices :p but except for speed bump what can they do?

1. thinner form factor. agree with others that this is not very usable - but nice. but i'd rather have possibility - like many other states - to have more disk space etc.

2. usb 3 - given

3. no optical - given (apple is moving away from this for sure). but give us something back.

4. desktop cpu and gpu? dont see that happening. i think apple calculates on i7 quad is enough for 95% of their customers...

ipad mini and a new imac soon on my desk :D

MentalFloss

macrumors 65816
Mar 14, 2012
Well, let's see if this is really the "iMac Air" that I am expecting, i.e. the iMac without optical drive, without HDD and without any user upgradeability whatsoever. We all know how Apple likes to kill technologies that they consider outdated, and I think the HDD will be the next target.

Not that I am really complaining too much about it. It's 2012, so SSD should be the core option. HDDs can be attached via Thunderbolt (or USB 3.0) without real performance losses. The main thing I will mourn is the RAM upgradeability, because it was just so easy to buy a 4GB iMac and upgrade it to 16GB instead of paying Apple's premium price. :D I guess there is a chance that Apple will keep the RAM slot, but I think it's much more likely that they will create a sleek unibody device without a single visible screw.

NunoBerny

macrumors regular
Feb 12, 2012
Lisbon, Portugal
Finally!!!

Now let's see what they will doing about the price.
Heard rumors it would go up, which is definitely NOT cool.

I don't care if it's thinner or if it has Retina.
I want USB3, nice processor, better GPU and maybe a bit more RAM and HD capacity.
Making it thinner can bring problems regarding heat,for example. I say no to that. The current version is more than thin enough!

If they can offer this...I'm buying one the next day it's released.

iHorta

macrumors newbie
Aug 23, 2011
OMG !!! An iMac refresh??!!!! I would buy one!!! I am waiting for an iMac refresh for a long time. This has to be a joke. Apple doesn't care to desktops anymore. LOL OH YA ITS A JOKE. YOU GOT ME YOU ASSES!!!!!

:D

HarryKNN21

macrumors regular
May 25, 2012
Hong Kong
It's really entertaining reading the joy from such a "small thing" :D

I join the choir of exciting voices :p but except for speed bump what can they do?

1. thinner form factor. agree with others that this is not very usable - but nice. but i'd rather have possibility - like many other states - to have more disk space etc.

2. usb 3 - given

3. no optical - given (apple is moving away from this for sure). but give us something back.

4. desktop cpu and gpu? dont see that happening. i think apple calculates on i7 quad is enough for 95% of their customers...

ipad mini and a new imac soon on my desk :D

iMac is sure using the desktop CPU, but for the desktop GPU nowadays, the possibility to fit in any all-in-one is ZERO.

How to fit a giant cooling tower in a all-in-one to stop the desktop GPU melting down??

SpyderBite

macrumors 65816
Oct 4, 2011
Xanadu
While I'm always in the "Wait and See" camp..

At least we'll get 7 days of reprieve from the whiney thread hijackers spouting "What about the iMac" off topic dribble.

MentalFloss

macrumors 65816
Mar 14, 2012
Which I am quite happy with. Not interested in retina.
Neither am I, and I would be very surprised about a retina iMac, because the price at these sizes should be huge. Who will pay $3000 for a basic-configuration iMac just to get a retina display?
- maybe higher capacity hard and solid state disk drives.
I am quite sure that 512GB SSDs will become at least an option.

They should also adapt the pricing to current standards. If you buy an iMac right now, you pay SSD prices from last year. :eek:

krazzix

macrumors 6502
Jun 15, 2010
Netherlands
No! i want my 2011 iMac to be the fastest there is for a while longer! :D

No seriously, i'm happy for you guys waiting this long (almost 18 months :eek:)

I hope it will have Retina Display, standard 256GB SSD and an all new design!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.