Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

LoganT

macrumors 68020
Jan 9, 2007
I totally agree with you, a business as smart as apple doesn't seem like they'd release a brand new imac when their brand new operating system is right on the horizon.

What's probably happening is the new imacs will be officially announced on August 7th, for a release date of October __th when Leopard comes out.

It makes perfect sense. You buy the computer and then are forced to buy Leopard. Apple gets more money. Besides they can't wait any longer, June was waiting too long and they didn't release them.

mrmjd

macrumors regular
Jul 7, 2007
What's probably happening is the new imacs will be officially announced on August 7th, for a release date of October __th when Leopard comes out.

Is it possible that they would announce it so far in advance? Is that the Apple way? Just seems a long time to wait :(

cleanup

macrumors 68030
Jun 26, 2005
Toronto
OT: You have an awesome avatar. I was pushing my thumb on the screen trying to kill it.

Muahahahaha. My ingenious plan to trick all MacRumors members into pressing on their screens hopelessly in order to smudge fingerprints all over their LCDs is working!

vandlism

macrumors 6502
Jun 20, 2007
apple takes the site down just so that they can screw with us. they probably have macrumors up while they do it, just to see our response time.

"Ed? ED?! Have you got the stopwatch?"
"Yeah, yeah"
"Alright, as soon as Ed throws the switch, we're gonna load the macrumors forums. Does everybody know the rules? For every mention of the new iMac, we take a shot."

You know what's going to happen? iMac with Leopard on October.

Nah. It's been nearly 11 months since the last iMac update. Before that, the longest wait was 9 months. If anything, we'll see updates to this update when Leopard comes out. Clock speed upgrades or a bigger screen could be announced alongside Leopard, that's not entirely unreasonable. Anyways, the only rumors we've been hearing about any Mac stuff is that the new iMac would be out mid to late summer. Well, that's where we are right now. As far as paying for Leopard is concerned, I'm willing to bet that Apple will allow purchasers of the new iMac to upgrade to Leopard for $20. Was 10.1 a free or $20 upgrade from 10.0? I remember the public beta being $20 which came with a voucher for a discount on the final release of 10.0.

As far as the new iLife goes, there is one thing that I would like to see Apple implement in iPhoto. Though I can't find much information on it anymore, I remember Microsoft demoing a feature in Vista called Group Photo or something of the sort. Essentially it allows you to analyze several photos that have multiple people in them and merge them into one. So, say you had a picture of yourself and a friend. For simplicty, in one photo your eyes are shut and in the other your friends eyes are shut. Group Photo let you select the open eyes in each picture and give you a final picture with both people's eyes open. Yes this may be a trivial thing for some in Photoshop or even less, but for many people this would be a dream feature.

Gav

macrumors regular
Jun 23, 2007
Personally, I think its unlikely. It would be weird if they released a whole new design of product, with no major event.

The iMac G3, G4, G5 were all new designs and all had major events associated with them. Personally, I think that it may be a little later in the year.

BiikeMike

macrumors 65816
Sep 17, 2005
Wirelessly posted (Treo: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows 98; PalmSource/Palm-D052; Blazer/4.5) 16;320x320)

cleanup said:
OT: You have an awesome avatar. I was pushing my thumb on the screen trying to kill it.

Muahahahaha. My ingenious plan to trick all MacRumors members into pressing on their screens hopelessly in order to smudge fingerprints all over their LCDs is working!

AWESOME!

maccompaq

macrumors 65816
Mar 6, 2007
I totally agree with you, a business as smart as apple doesn't seem like they'd release a brand new imac when their brand new operating system is right on the horizon.

If Apple announces on August 7 that new iMacs will be out in October, most sales of iMacs would die until October.

maccompaq

macrumors 65816
Mar 6, 2007
What is the expected life of the iMac logic board? I am almost afraid to buy one because of the tight enclosure keeping heat inside. Have been holding off on a new Mac purchase until a headless Mac arrives.

Any ideas?

I know quite a few people who have had the logic board of their iMacs die. This includes the G3 iMac.

Can I hear from you readers your experience or opinion?

Jimmdean

macrumors 6502a
Mar 21, 2007
The longer this takes the more of a disappointment it's going to be if there is not a major upgrade in the internals. At this point, even matching the MBP would be a big let-down for me. Nothing less than a move to the desktop cpu and memory components and something better than the 8600M would satisfy at this point (or maybe that new extreme mobile part).

Yateball

macrumors regular
Jul 25, 2007
Internals

I anticipate we'll see a boost in the standard RAM (possibly just in the 24"), slightly higher clockings on the Core 2 processors, and the move to 8600 graphics chips.

I don't see them doing anything beyond the 8600's for graphics, but who knows.

EDIT: Oh and more than likely the HDD's will make the jump to 320gb, or if apple is really bold 500gb

farmwood1

macrumors newbie
Jul 30, 2007
I wonder how many thousands who like me don't post, are just sitting waiting for a look see at the new iMac. Apple has better security than the U.S. government.

mathwhiz90601

macrumors 6502
Jul 5, 2007
SoCal... wannabe Canadian

gaaah! No please no! Apple doesn't announce computers two months before release. Plus, they've gone WAY TOO LONG without an update.

mongoos150

macrumors 6502a
Sep 20, 2005
Definitely do not think Apple would wait until October to release the new iMacs. They would completely lose out on BTS sales! This is the prime time to announce - and release - new school products, and iMac is the perfect machine for either students or semi-pros (24" of course). Waiting until October would kill off a large potential demographic waiting to buy these machines (or who are just now starting to shop for a new machine, including college kids, parents, new grads, etc...).

Cavemate K

macrumors member
Jul 17, 2007

Hey, that's cool. As long as they give us the specs and show us the pics and whatnot on the apple site, that'll hold me off until October. :D

Cavemate K

macrumors member
Jul 17, 2007

Fingerprints? I've been trying to eat that little guy for an hour (I forgot my lunch money again)!:p

armani

macrumors regular
Jul 20, 2007
I have just spoken to Apple rep online. They have "back to shool" offer, which is $129 off the price and free Nano iPod. Sounds like nothing is going to happen on 7th.

But really, how big is the difference between nVidia 7600 and 8600?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.