Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ATG

macrumors regular
Aug 7, 2005
Crysis is not going to run smooth as butter on any iMac. It would barely run smooth on the currently old x1900 in the mac pro with medium settings. Besides it's a DirectX10 game.
No, it's a DX9 and DX10 game. I'm pretty sure Crysis will run on a new iMac on medium quality (Core 2 + 8600? = hell yeah).

I'm waiting for the new iMacs to come out too. It seems pointless buying a current model ATM.

mathwhiz90601

macrumors 6502
Jul 5, 2007
SoCal... wannabe Canadian
That seems like an odd day for Apple to release a update. Has apple always stuck to Tuesday's for new releases?

Yes.

I don't know when the iMacs need to be available to leverage the "back to school" spending. Somehow I feel it should be August and not September.

Earlier. I would say June but that's gone.

THERE IS NO BRUSHED ALUMINUM!!! lol :eek: :eek: :apple:

Agreed. ThinkSecret always falls down on that.

I think that would be in September at the Apple Expo in Paris. Apple wouldn't unveil two big products at once. They want maximum publicity and limelight on each product for as long as possible.

Yes. iPods in September. iMacs in July (please!) or August

You have to admit think secret is great at this kind of stuff. I hope they are on for the release date since I am in the market for a new home computer.

Shoot enough times and you'll hit eventually. TS is unreliable.

I work at a computer store and last week we had an Intel rep come to visit and give training. I asked when we would see quad cores in laptops and he told us that it would not be untill mid 2008. Being a Mac lover i said 'i take it we'll see them in apples first' it was to this that he let slip and said 'well apple already have a laptop type....' then he stopped went a dark shade of red and went 'oops'. so putting 2 and 2 together im holdin out for a quad core 24' iMac that would explain the brushed metal 'Pro' format.

just a rumor though

Lol... but a Quad core BTO iMac would be great.

If ThinkSecret keeps guessing, they are bound to get it right one day.

Yep.

I think TS actually might overshoot the release date. I'm shooting for July 24 or 31.

I think there's a conspiracy, actually... Apple has a plant in AppleInsider and feeds them news to gauge the market. TS doesn't because Apple sued them for leaking actual info, and is forced to guess wildly. MR usually rehashes all the rumors from around the web.

freddiecable

macrumors 6502a
May 16, 2003
Sweden
1. I have the money in the bank...waiting

2. 9to5mac sounds realistic - but a quadra-core laptop cpu would be awesome :p

3. this rumour has an echo to itself - will anyone read think secret if it's not released on the 7th?

zioxide

macrumors 603
Dec 11, 2006
Seems like a good date for them. If it is going to be August 7th and a major case revision, then Apple will most likely be sending out invitations for a special event soon.

I really doubt that they will be ANODIZED aluminum (the current pro lines aren't "brushed"), but they might come in both white and black like the Macbook.

Also, new iPods will be Sept-Oct just like the iPods have been like for the past few revisions. Maybe the Paris show or whatever.

TunesRus90

macrumors newbie
Jul 17, 2007
new iPods

Well personally, I am looking forward to the new iPods most because I actually plan on getting one of those. My 15GB 3rd gen is getting a little outdated :p However, I really hope that this is not accurate because that would be the ugliest iPod ever. I doubt apple would make something that grotesque.

Also, I want to see the new iMacs just out of curiosity. I have been hearing so much about them for awhile, and although I have no plans on buying one (one more year until college), I am still curious to see what apple can whip up.

D

davidmyers

august 7 date is not an accident

I would think that :apple: would give you the latest version. You may need to call and be insistent with them though...

I doubt it will work. It appears that Apple has chosen August 7th specifically
*because* of the tax free days. SEVEN states (AL,GA,TN,MO,NM,NC,SC)
with tax free weekends that apply to computers have their days
scheduled for the first weekend in August.

This is extra stinky in two ways-
1) anyone who wants the newer chip has a dilemma
2) we were hoping for/promised 10.5 would be out, but you'll have to
fork $129 for that come October

The saving grace is that most people buying during tax free days
are probably buying for school (most of the states' dollar limits are around
a 1000 for the tax holiday), and Apple is once again throwing in iPods.

(Notice also how waiting until October for 10.5 means you get lose
the iPod?

'Course 10.5 costs $129 and the iPod rebate is $200... but then
again it's a *mail-in* rebate, bleh.)

My point is just- Apple's not stupid. They know how to play the calendar
game for maximum profit.

Thomas2006

macrumors 6502
Sep 2, 2006
it would be a complete surprise if Apple released the next version of iLfe before Leopard shipped. Just does not make sense. If they release it, I suspect very slow sales until Leopard ships.
I think iLife '08 will get demoed and released at MWSF2008. The demo won't be just about improvements to the apps, but also the updated .mac service, iPhone, new (hopefully) iPod, and how they compliment each other.

It is almost certain the new iWork suite will have a spreadsheet application, and maybe even a database application, so I do not see it getting released until after Steve gives a demo of it at the Apple Expo in Paris.

The iMac is getting released before the Apple Expo so the new "headless" Mac can get the attention. I know the "headless" Mac discussions have been beaten into the ground, but with the 17" iMac not getting updated, the Mac mini left to stagnate (EOLed?), and games coming back to the Mac I see a model that can take the place of the 17" iMac. It will cost the same as the 2.0 GHz model but instead of having a built-in monitor it will be designed with updatability in mind.

MacinDoc

macrumors 68020
Mar 22, 2004
The Great White North
you are correct!

Think Secret hasnt had a good source for over 2 years, their track record in the past 18 months is lessthan pathetic. they may be correct with the date, but as stated above, it is a pure guess, and they are bound to guess correct once.
I think they're even guessing the date. I suspect they just picked a Tuesday within the timeframe already rumored for release. It's still early enough to catch some of the back to school sales, but not so early that it would steal any thunder from iPhone's release. Add to that rumors of iLife going GM, and it doesn't take a genius to guess the date that TS did. The only other possible dates are July 31 and August 14 (which is getting a bit late for back to school).

milo

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2003
Isn't iLife/iWork supposed to rely on some Leopard features? If so, won't they release these all with Leopard in October?

I'm wondering that too. iLife has always shipped with or after OS updates (although I don't know if it has required the latest). It would be odd to release it a couple months before an OS update, the new apps are always great opportunities to show off new OS features.

filmmakerken

macrumors newbie
Jul 17, 2007
Virginia Beach, VA
iMac Update

Speculation and guess work. Still, I hope I won't have to wait any longer than three weeks to get a new iMac.

Seems to me there ought to be a leak from someone at MacMall or MacConnection some time in the next week or two. Apple will expect them to order their stock before the release.

DaBrain

macrumors 65816
Feb 28, 2007
ERIE, PA
Well personally, I am looking forward to the new iPods most because I actually plan on getting one of those. My 15GB 3rd gen is getting a little outdated :p However, I really hope that this is not accurate because that would be the ugliest iPod ever. I doubt apple would make something that grotesque.

Really! I think that looks like crap! IM expecting a more iPhoneish look!

oscuh

macrumors 6502
Apr 27, 2007
Michigan
I just hope they come out SOON. As soon as the new 24 inchers get updated, I get to replace my work machine (17" CD iMac). In the meantime, I guess I'll have to make due with a new 20" ViewSonic for extended desktop... finally, no more palette piling!

Porchland

macrumors 65816
Apr 26, 2004
Georgia
I think steve said in last years wwdc presentation of leopard that it would be full featured meaning the ilife apps would be included, but it has been more then a year so maybe if you play that from the apple site you can be sure about it ;-).

Apple ships iLife installed but does not consider it to be part of the OS, i.e., an upgrade to Leopard won't get you iLife but buying a new computer will.

As for iLife, it was about time to skip a year:

* iPhoto needs Coverflow and some cosmetic tweaking, but it is extremely solid for a consumer/pro-sumer photo manager. (It's not Photoshop, but that's why Adobe makes Photoshop.)

* iMovie needs the usual new transitions, new titles, etc., but the handling and asset management seems fine to me.

* iDVD needs a refresh and the ability to burn to Blu-ray.

I haven't used GarageBand or iWeb very much.

DaiKirai

macrumors member
Jan 17, 2005
I'm also skeptical of ThinkSecret after they got it completely wrong at WWDC, and their constant chanting of "brushed aluminum" is getting tiresome.

I was hoping for a July 24 release, but that seems unlikely if we haven't seen any concrete evidence by now. Pity, I would have really appreciated two extra weeks of summer vacation to play with my brand new iMac...

corywoolf

macrumors 65816
Jun 28, 2004
Sounds like Apple could be possibly dropping the yearly naming of iLife. I would favor that over the nearly forced yearly updates.

plumbingandtech

macrumors 68000
Jun 20, 2007
boy if they are right , people that were expecting an iphone like video ipod are going to be mifffed..

if they are right...

Loge

macrumors 68030
Jun 24, 2004
England
That iPod sure looked ugly - sort of Blackberry-like proportions. Here's hoping it's false, in favour of a full wide screen video iPod.

zap2

macrumors 604
Mar 8, 2005
Washington D.C
I'm kind of doubting that iPod....Apple has made the iPhone work with so many iPod add ons, seeems foolish for Apple to go an change the design, so it won't work with many docks, speakers etc

steve_hill4

macrumors 68000
May 15, 2005
NG9, England
I think anodized aluminium is more likely than brushed, especially since Leopard seems to have finally done away with the brushed look.

My question is more personally do I buy immediately after Leopard shipping is announced and hopefully get a brand new iMac with Tiger and iLife 08 and then pay £11.99 for the discs for Leopard or wait another couple of months and hope they do a minor bump in specs at the same time as Leopard. I doubt the latter so I may not bother waiting.

Blu Ray would be awesome on the iMac too, especially if iMovie, Final Cut Studio 2 and Final Cut Express all got free updates to support authoring of BD. iMovie 08 may have this built in anyway, FCS2 should be updated for free considering how long it's been available and FCE perhaps could be released as a new version. Blu Ray, more RAM, bigger HD, new C2D, better graphics and a few extra ports would be awesome for the same price, unlikely though.

How about for a massive event with lots of updates "Something Old, Something(s) New, Something Borrowed, Something Blu." That would set the rumor sites buzzing for the interim period for sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.