Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TSE

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jun 25, 2007
St. Paul, Minnesota
How sweet would it be if Apple went back to it's roots and really started targeting their products to creatives again and made the iMac screen work with the Apple Pencil? They would need to redesign the hinge, but I think that would be freakin' awesome!

Go for it Apple!
710x440_DTK2400HD_01.jpg

EnesM

macrumors 6502
May 7, 2015
I'm pretty sure iPad Pro is the first step in that direction. I believe they will make it possible to share the iMac screen with iPad Pro so you can draw on your iPad and do the rest on iMac or other Macs. Drawing directly on iMacs screen really doesn't make sense.

Monkey King

macrumors newbie
Jun 29, 2016
I'm pretty sure iPad Pro is the first step in that direction. I believe they will make it possible to share the iMac screen with iPad Pro so you can draw on your iPad and do the rest on iMac or other Macs. Drawing directly on iMacs screen really doesn't make sense.

I know that this is a bit old now, but in 2010 Apple did file a patent for this purpose:

patentlyapple.com_Apple_iMac_patentx380A.jpg

As for the purpose, it would be spectacular to be able to side step WACOM and work directly on your iMac screen.

varian55zx

macrumors 6502a
May 10, 2012
San Francisco
How sweet would it be if Apple went back to it's roots and really started targeting their products to creatives again and made the iMac screen work with the Apple Pencil?
Not sweet at all

I wouldn't like that. Not saying others may not find a use for it.

I prefer the keyboard and mouse set up.

louis_mihael

macrumors newbie
Aug 21, 2015
It would be awesome if Apple did that! Also it would be pretty cool if they had Apple Pencil support on MacBooks.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
My wife has a All in One from HP that's touch screen, I think its a nice feature (except for the finger prints on the screen).

I think if OS X, err umm, macOS can be updated to have a touch interface, this will be a nice addition. I do believe the market is moving towards the touch screen, just look at all the models that PC makers are rolling out with touch screen.

subjonas

macrumors 603
Feb 10, 2014
Wacom already makes great pen input displays for desktop, and they have for many years. The displays could use a little improvement in the resolution department, but it's getting there. What's wrong with using one of those? Sure it's expensive especially buying it as a second display with an iMac, but at least the tech is available. What we've never had, however--and still don't--is a really good PORTABLE (ie. standalone) Mac with pen input. Modbooks are a deadend at the moment. If Apple ever makes MBP with Apple Pencil support I will cry for joy.

ApfelKuchen

macrumors 601
Aug 28, 2012
Between the coasts
How sweet would it be if Apple went back to it's roots and really started targeting their products to creatives again and made the iMac screen work with the Apple Pencil? They would need to redesign the hinge, but I think that would be freakin' awesome!

Go for it Apple!
710x440_DTK2400HD_01.jpg

What, exactly, is "targeting creatives?" It always seems to boil down to, "targeting my needs/desires."

What's more, I believe that Apple is very much sticking to its roots. WTF are GarageBand and iMovie, Photos, Pages, Keynote, the markup tools in Preview and Notes... why can MacBooks drive multiple displays, handle optical digital audio inputs, and communicate with PCIe peripherals via Thunderbolt? (And don't get me started on all the ways iPhone and iPad have stimulated creativity in the masses...)

My 12-year-old produces short animations and posts them to his own YouTube channel. Reminds me of the scene in 'Steve Jobs' when Lisa produced a drawing on the first Mac.

Apple didn't set out to make high end gear for pros. At the time, "pro" gear was produced by the likes of Silicon Graphics and DEC. Apple set out to make the power of computers accessible to everyone, and tear down the barriers to creativity.

And the platform they built also made it possible for professionals to do work on personal computers that previously had required incredibly expensive, specialized equipment.

But let's pretend for a moment that only pros can be creative...

The thing is, "creativity" is a huge, catch-all phrase. It's not the kind of thing a mass-market manufacturer can target with pin-point precision. Would a visual artist care to pay for a Mac loaded for pro audio? Does a writer need a 12-core CPU and bleeding edge GPUs?

While there are plenty of good uses for pen input, the pen doesn't uniquely address my particular creative needs (writing and photography). I have plenty of use for a 27" display, but I don't know if I'd want to pay a premium to have a 27" touch screen.

If I were still doing pro audio, yeah, a 27" touch surface for manipulating faders would be very nice. Actually, two, three, or or more of them side by side could be awesome (I never had use for more than about 36 faders - imagine what the Hollywood crowd could use). But pen... not nearly as essential.

I can't speak for those who draw, my experience is pretty thin in that realm, but I do appreciate that the size of the canvas can affect expression. I certainly understand why a touchscreen-and-pen larger than a WACOM tablet or iPad Pro could be very attractive. I just don't think that it defines a computer that a wide range of creatives would need.

nss_gabriele

macrumors newbie
Oct 12, 2016
Hi suggested the same thing in the other topic a week ago :D

Wacom already makes great pen input displays for desktop, and they have for many years. The displays could use a little improvement in the resolution department, but it's getting there. What's wrong with using one of those? Sure it's expensive especially buying it as a second display with an iMac, but at least the tech is available. What we've never had, however--and still don't--is a really good PORTABLE (ie. standalone) Mac with pen input. Modbooks are a deadend at the moment. If Apple ever makes MBP with Apple Pencil support I will cry for joy.

I draw on a Wacom Cintiq 27. It's a great tool for work but it hasn't Apple standards on both hw and sw side.
The touch is completely broken, the sw keyboard is useless, the screen resolution is way too low for todays standards and the whole package (stand, etc) is a bit clunky. The lack of good "screenless" mac forces you to use it as a second screen, when I'd prefer to use just one big screen and save space on the desk.
But, yeah, the product exists (and I wouldn't buy another one right now).

A portable mac with a touchscreen... I just can't imagine it. How could you use it? If you press on the screen it would flip backwards... the only solution is an ipad pro.

@ApfelKuchen
You're basically saying you wouldn't be interested in it. Fair enough. Others may be, though!
But maybe it's a niche market for Apple, more than the iPad pro's.

subjonas

macrumors 603
Feb 10, 2014
A portable mac with a touchscreen... I just can't imagine it. How could you use it? If you press on the screen it would flip backwards... the only solution is an ipad pro.

Oh no, touchscreen, please never for Macs. I always disable touch when I use touch Cintiqs. Only pen input for me. But yeah it wouldn't work with the current clamshell design. The MBP would have to be completely redesigned into some sort of convertible tablet just for pen input, which I don't see Apple ever doing. And iPad can't run the software I need, probably won't for at least a decade, not to mention it's a bit small. And I'm done with Windows after a long bitter history. So I'm pretty much out of luck.

nss_gabriele

macrumors newbie
Oct 12, 2016
Oh no, touchscreen, please never for Macs. I always disable touch when I use touch Cintiqs.

I disable the touch too because it's really broken, but I can see the potential of it (even for pan/zoom only), just Wacom hasn't been capable of delivering it.

sunapple

macrumors 68030
Jul 16, 2013
The Netherlands
The MacBook just needs a new hinge and it's ready to go. If Apple wants to, it can be done. I don't like bringing my Wacom everywhere or having a separate iPad Pro, having Pencil support on the MacBook would be a game changer.

iMac? If the MacBook has it, the iMac should support it too I guess, but Wacom tablet work fine for now (if not a little clunky and expensive.

subjonas

macrumors 603
Feb 10, 2014
I disable the touch too because it's really broken, but I can see the potential of it (even for pan/zoom only), just Wacom hasn't been capable of delivering it.

I suppose if keyboard shortcuts and express keys aren't available, touch could be useful, but I hope I never get into that situation. Not for work, anyway.

The MacBook just needs a new hinge and it's ready to go. If Apple wants to, it can be done. I don't like bringing my Wacom everywhere or having a separate iPad Pro, having Pencil support on the MacBook would be a game changer.

iMac? If the MacBook has it, the iMac should support it too I guess, but Wacom tablet work fine for now (if not a little clunky and expensive.

I'm with you there, but I don't know... I just don't believe Apple cares enough about us on-the-go Mac pen users. We don't generate enough numbers for them.

nss_gabriele

macrumors newbie
Oct 12, 2016
I suppose if keyboard shortcuts and express keys aren't available, touch could be useful, but I hope I never get into that situation. Not for work, anyway.

Sure, but I wouldn't mind having the possibility.

For example: a proper touch could mean a proper sw keyboard that comes out fast and let you do the minimal typing required when working (example, naming layers), like on iOs. Now the sw keyboard is clunky, slow, too small to be used with fingers, completely useless. So you're forced to keep a real keyboard nearby.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
If any Mac would get the support, it would be a MacBook, I don't see Apple doing this with the iMac.

nss_gabriele

macrumors newbie
Oct 12, 2016
MS has just done what Apple should have done years ago.
The creative scene was Apple's playground, back in the days.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.