Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

LTSmash

macrumors newbie
Oct 5, 2013
How can all these unlocking sites do this when it's illegal?

So if I bought an iPhone 5s using AT&T Next program, could I use one of these sites to unlock my phone before it's paid off

I know on eBay, if the phone was bought after 1/26/13 they won't unlock it.

Most the people doing unlocks seem to be outside the United States, checking eBay and such they'll come up as China, etc. For them it's not illegal.

Currently it seems as though no one can do 5s unlocks, but if they do start working then yes you could use one of those sites to unlock your phone.

eBay sellers will do it if the phone was bought after the laws took effect, it's just a disclaimer added so eBay doesn't suspend the account. It's the same reason why they all state something on the lines of "this item will be physically shipped to the buyer to comply with eBay terms". -- If it came down to it they'll claim they don't have a way of checking when the phone was purchased and I'm sure the good majority are on so called "stealth" eBay accounts.

CEmajr

macrumors 601
Dec 18, 2012
Charlotte, NC
How can all these unlocking sites do this when it's illegal?

So if I bought an iPhone 5s using AT&T Next program, could I use one of these sites to unlock my phone before it's paid off

I know on eBay, if the phone was bought after 1/26/13 they won't unlock it.

Because the whole no unlocking phones law is a joke that's basically unenforceable.

scotrinaf

macrumors 6502
Oct 6, 2013
Blountville, TN
I purchased an unlock through eBay on Friday afternoon around 5pm EST for around $1.62 USD. I received the following E-mail from the ebay seller yesterday afternoon.

++++++++++++++++
Dear Customers

Starting Oct 1 the servers have been down Unexpectedly. Since then I have desperately been trying to find a source to Unlock all the IMEI's being sent to me.

Any unlock service that you find on eBay now will be $30 and UP.

This is due to the fact that At&t has decided to CHARGE for Unlocks (before it was free) Slow Unlocks are now $30 and Instant is $40+

This batch of Unlocks is literally the last Low Cost Unlock that will be processed.

The only problem is that the Unlocks will take place on Tuesday October 8th, 2013

If you do not have the patience to wait till then, please tell me now and I will refund you immediately. But do understand you will be paying $35+ later on. I advise you wait till Tuesday and I promise your iPhone will be Unlocked as the Order will be "Marked as Shipped"

My Guarantee: If your iPhone is not Unlocked by the date specified, I will issue a Refund IMMEDIATELY - No Questions Asked.

Thanks again, and I do apologize for all the trouble
++++++++++++++++

Ramio

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2011
Houston, TeXas
Service is back on s-url.ro they charge 17.00

His website just changed the price to $17. I just paid the $17 and hopefully the unlock will be done soon. I'm used to paying less than $2 for unlocking so paying $17 was not easy but from what I understand AT&T is making it harder and charging for unlocking.

iPhoneReseller

macrumors newbie
Oct 5, 2013
His website just changed the price to $17. I just paid the $17 and hopefully the unlock will be done soon. I'm used to paying less than $2 for unlocking so paying $17 was not easy but from what I understand AT&T is making it harder and charging for unlocking.

Let me know if it worked for you, i purchased an unlock on hackiphone yesterday and im waiting but i cant afford unlocking all the iphones that i import at $33

iPhoneReseller

macrumors newbie
Oct 5, 2013
Hackiphone just sent me an email telling that the order may take 48hrs an if i wanted to unlock or to cancel the order... it sounds to me that he is having issues as well

DblHelix

macrumors 6502a
Mar 19, 2009
I purchased an unlock through eBay on Friday afternoon around 5pm EST for around $1.62 USD. I received the following E-mail from the ebay seller yesterday afternoon.

++++++++++++++++
Dear Customers

Starting Oct 1 the servers have been down Unexpectedly. Since then I have desperately been trying to find a source to Unlock all the IMEI's being sent to me.

Any unlock service that you find on eBay now will be $30 and UP.

This is due to the fact that At&t has decided to CHARGE for Unlocks (before it was free) Slow Unlocks are now $30 and Instant is $40+

This batch of Unlocks is literally the last Low Cost Unlock that will be processed.

The only problem is that the Unlocks will take place on Tuesday October 8th, 2013

If you do not have the patience to wait till then, please tell me now and I will refund you immediately. But do understand you will be paying $35+ later on. I advise you wait till Tuesday and I promise your iPhone will be Unlocked as the Order will be "Marked as Shipped"

My Guarantee: If your iPhone is not Unlocked by the date specified, I will issue a Refund IMMEDIATELY - No Questions Asked.

Thanks again, and I do apologize for all the trouble
++++++++++++++++

Who did you order from? Sounds like same guy I did. Also when did you order? I just got a notice that he will be refunding me and I am a bit pissed cause I am trying to unlock mine for travel

nicholasss

macrumors regular
Apr 18, 2012
Usa
So far the service has been ok.

Only problems I'm facing are with the 5s and 5c.

All other models are getting unlocked.

----------

this will be a litle bit out of subject, are the verizon iphone 5 already factory unlocked right?

Yes.

Last edited:

scotrinaf

macrumors 6502
Oct 6, 2013
Blountville, TN
Who did you order from? Sounds like same guy I did. Also when did you order? I just got a notice that he will be refunding me and I am a bit pissed cause I am trying to unlock mine for travel

I ordered from nf-trading, and I placed my order on Friday, October 4th, he said they would be processed on Tuesday, October 8th... I'm going to wait and see, don't want to spend $40 if it isn't necessary...

scotrinaf

macrumors 6502
Oct 6, 2013
Blountville, TN
All of this talk about AT&T charging...

Who is actually being charged here? I'm obviously not understanding something.

At this point it's not clear, but I would think that the unlock process is being more tightly controlled, and whoever is letting those access the database for whitelisting the phones will be allowing access through a fee based system. I spoke with a friend last night that works in upper management at an AT&T collection center and he confirmed that AT&T is revamping their system to more tightly control access.

muuhamed

macrumors member
Feb 13, 2013
anybody know of a legit site who doesn't overcharge to unlock?

I remember I paid $1.29 for an unlock on eBay, I'm not sure where these fools came from overcharging/robbing us at upwards of $35+ :mad:

Looking to spend no more than $10

Thanks guys

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.