Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sixteen12

macrumors regular
Nov 14, 2011
It is an awefully bad sign for lumia 920 that there is still no release day or pricing announced. Normally when a manufacturer announce a phone, they want to get all the information out there. They only have one shot to create excitement for their product and Nokia miss it.

This is for sure what will kill this phone. Lots of hype after the event for a really impressive phone. But people will forget about it because now the iPhone 5 launched and the Note 2 is coming out shortly. Hell, Google could very potentially release the new Nexus before this comes out.

If Nokia had that event and launched the phone a week later, it would have sold extremely well. I'm sure a few people would have given it a shot over the iPhone or android.

tigress666

macrumors 68040
Apr 14, 2010
Washington State
With no price and no release date, it can only mean on thing. None of the carrier can come to term with Nokia. They either don't like the price or the volume that Nokia want them to sell the phone at.. I would guess the problem has a lot to do with Lumia 900. It sales are very poor (something like 600,000 phone shipped to carrier last Q but no one know how many of the 600,000 is still in inventory). No one is really sure if it is a Window ecosystem problem or a Lumia 900 problem.. If it is a Window problem, Lumia 920 will have a very poor sales as well..

Honestly, I think it's windows and app availability. It seems Nokia has been doing a good job of coming up with some nice phones (least from what I've seen) but I know for me I'd be more considering of them if they ran Android than Windows. Or at least it seems a shame they run windows, mainly cause the app availability is crap. I don't care about 2 years in the future as by then my upgrade would be up and I'd want a new phone anyways. Additionally, it probably wouldn't run the apps by then cause it would be considered pretty old.

Honestly, the only reason Microsoft might survive is they have the money to wait it out (cause without that they don't really have the time to wait a few years to get the apps cause already it seems the writing is on the wall so that will chase developers away from that). Right now, to most people who are even paying attention that there is a windows phone, it looks like the OS is dieing and that isn't a good thing. It's why way back when I chose the PlayStation over the Sega's machine. It was because I could already see the writing on the wall: The Playstation was obviously attracting more of the game makers and without games a console is crap, and that is what I feel about computers/smartphones. And it seems that is about the level MS is on right now. Still getting some apps, still surviving, but if you are paying attention you can see who "won" so to speak, and it isn't MS. The only difference is MS has money to keep throwing at the problem unlike Sega.

It kinda makes me sad because before I was an iPhone fan and wanted a smartphone I liked Nokia phones cause in general they made pretty solid build phones (They did go through a time they had horrible user interface on the phones, like weird dailing keypad format).

Last edited:

pgiguere1

macrumors 68020
May 28, 2009
Montreal, Canada
I appreciate the use of an IPS screen instead of the usual PenTile AMOLED Samsung uses. The camera seems pretty good too.

But. Why so big of a phone if it's not that powerful?

This thing is 130.3 x 70.8 x 10.7 mm and 185 g and all it has is a dual-core SnapDragon S4 and 1GB RAM?

It's weird that the GS3 released long before it has better specs and is thinner.

This is also going to feel like a brick next to the iPhone 5, weird that it'll be slower too. Let's see how smooth Windows Phone 8 is first but I doubt it'll match iOS in terms of smoothness at equivalent specs.

nokia-lumia-920-conn.jpg

I guess that's the kind of compromise you have to make to get inductive charging? I'm glad Apple didn't make it with the iPhone 5.

Overall it looks like a good phone but there's nothing groundbreaking in there, unless inductive charging is a must for you or think Windows Phone is superior. I hope this makes Android OEMs consider using IPS screens too.

Last edited:

cwwilson

macrumors 68000
Jan 27, 2009
Oklahoma City, OK
I don't know man, the 920 might be nice and all, but having owned the 900 it didn't leave me heartbroken when I switched to the SGS3. Great as the build of the phone was, call quality, earpiece clarity, and wonderful Skydrive sync, it let me down big time with the weak specs, less than sub par screen resolution and horrible 3rd party app support. The only apps I even liked were the WPCentral app and Weave (which was actually abandonware). The facebook app was below average at best, the twitter app was a mess and Youtube was a joke (nothing but m.youtube in an app wrapper). Speaking of Youtube, it lagged really bad and put out choppy low quality video even on LTE due to the hardware not being handle video very well. To test, I even made some small videos using the camera and even those lagged a bit.

Now I know the 920 is supposed to be a whole new deal but I just don't think there's enough interest in WP to make it successful. In today's world, there's iOS and Android and that's where the developers are. I know Nokia has snatched up some big names but those apps will be exclusive to those phones, that's not really helping WP as a whole.

wongulous

macrumors 6502a
Dec 7, 2002
Really thought about the Lumia 920 (or 922 on Verizon)...

But in the end, the stuff that wowed me was gimmicky - colors, a new novel OS, the wireless charging (and really, Apple were right - it doesn't solve anything), NFC (same), the new headphone stuff. The camera is pretty cool but in the end it wasn't as great as the fake video Nokia first put out.

If it'd been thinner, a bit smaller and lighter, and been available for me to order on the 12th, I really might have ordered it instead. Too bad they are so slow to get a product out.

I'm sure I'll be very, very happy with my iPhone 5. :D Hope they don't go out of business though... Nokia and MSFT are really on the right track here!

Alx9876

macrumors 6502a
Jan 26, 2008
NorCal
This is the only alternative to the iPhone I would truly consider and currently am. I am not going to buy an iPhone 5 until I get some hands on time with the Nokia L920.

I am proud of Windows for the first time not going the Droid route as it is the inferior OS.

This new Windows 8 cell phone OS is looking very promising and refreshing. Makes sense since a former Apple engineer designed it.

daneoni

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2006
It has nice features and looks nice, But there's just one problem. I already know where to buy an iPhone 5 and for how much.

I don't have that same information about the Lumia. If i'm in the market for a phone now i can't buy this...i have to wait till November. Its also bigger, heavier and has a less robust ecosystem.

Why wouldn't i just buy a GS3 or iP5 now and be done with it.

Last edited:

Simoquasimo

macrumors member
Jun 23, 2010
Finland
This is the only alternative to the iPhone I would truly consider and currently am. I am not going to buy an iPhone 5 until I get some hands on time with the Nokia L920.

I am proud of Windows for the first time not going the Droid route as it is the inferior OS.

This new Windows 8 cell phone OS is looking very promising and refreshing. Makes sense since a former Apple engineer designed it.

Same thing here. I have to try Lumia 920 before I go or don't go to iPhone 5. Hopefully it's pretty soon available here in Finland. I never thought this day would come so soon that I'm might be going back to Nokia.

kalex

macrumors 65816
Oct 1, 2007
Really thought about the Lumia 920 (or 922 on Verizon)...

But in the end, the stuff that wowed me was gimmicky - colors, a new novel OS, the wireless charging (and really, Apple were right - it doesn't solve anything), NFC (same), the new headphone stuff. The camera is pretty cool but in the end it wasn't as great as the fake video Nokia first put out.

I guess if apple said it doesn't solve anything then it must be useless. After using Pre and Pixi for 6 months I find the wireless charging very very useful. Don't have to fumble with stupid usb cables, dock connectors etc. But then again Apple didn't invent it and patent it so it must be useless. I bet you with iphone 5s or iphone 6 Apple will be calling it with some new acronym and it will be the greatest thing to date.
Same goes for NFC. used it for few months with Nexus S phone and found it extremely useful as well. Can't wait to get 920 with NFC.

Alx9876

macrumors 6502a
Jan 26, 2008
NorCal
There's just one problem. I already know where to buy an iPhone 5 and for how much.

I don't have that same information about the Lumia. If i'm in the market for a phone now i can't buy this...i have to wait till November. Its also bigger, heavier and has a less robust ecosystem.

Why wouldn't i just buy a GS3 or iP5 now and be done with it.

Because I am in no rush to buy anything even though I still have a regular iPhone 4 on hand.

I'm not in a active contract since my 2 year commitment already expired 4 months ago.

To make a good informed decision I need to have hands on time with all of them. I know what the iPhone is about and I know what the GS3 is about but I don't know anything about the Nokia L920.

I have no doubt what will be better in the long run. But I am in no rush to buy anything. I rather hold in my hands the competition before buying it. Including the iPhone 5.

The ecosystem of Apple is not holding me back one bit. I really wish the iPhone 5 were wider not just longer but this goes back to "I need to hold it in my hand" before buying.

It might not matter really (The 4 inch screen size) but I won't know until I see/hold a physical device at the Apple store.

N23

macrumors regular
Aug 3, 2009

Same here, I have an upgrade I can use next month and I'm hoping the 920 releases shortly after.
I've had the last three iPhones so I know the iP5 is most likely suite me just fine, but the 920 looks promising.

I don't mind that it's running windows, I have an iPad and MBP but still do most of my work on a PC.
iOS has honestly been underwhelming for me and I wouldn't mind some change.
My only concern with the 920 would be the size, I'd have to see how it functions in my hands.

Technarchy

macrumors 604
May 21, 2012
I agree. The 920 looks great and runs wonderfully. The user experience is very good.

Flaws:

-It's a brick

-Nokia should have used matte materials instead of high gloss. Not a fan of the high gloss plastic

-The app situation is horrid, which blows my mind because we are talking Windows and Microsoft.

-Lumia phones are just too big. Why they don't make them slimmer especially is anyone's guess.

vistadude

macrumors 65816
Jan 3, 2010
I'd buy it over a new iphone if it weren't so big. They need the form factor of the Lumia 800 with the specs of the 920.

The lumia 820 size might be okay, but it will be underspecced in some way.

Grolubao

macrumors 68000
Dec 23, 2008
London, UK
Don't understand the obsession with thinness. This is not a model show...

At least the Lumia got it right with the number of holes in the bottom of the phone ;)

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
I appreciate the use of an IPS screen instead of the usual PenTile AMOLED Samsung uses. The camera seems pretty good too.

But. Why so big of a phone if it's not that powerful?

This thing is 130.3 x 70.8 x 10.7 mm and 185 g and all it has is a dual-core SnapDragon S4 and 1GB RAM?

It's weird that the GS3 released long before it has better specs and is thinner.

This is also going to feel like a brick next to the iPhone 5, weird that it'll be slower too. Let's see how smooth Windows Phone 8 is first but I doubt it'll match iOS in terms of smoothness at equivalent specs.

I guess that's the kind of compromise you have to make to get inductive charging? I'm glad Apple didn't make it with the iPhone 5.

Overall it looks like a good phone but there's nothing groundbreaking in there, unless inductive charging is a must for you or think Windows Phone is superior. I hope this makes Android OEMs consider using IPS screens too.
I think the design is good looking (though I find it amusing that no one seems to be complaining that the 800, 900 and 920 all have a very similar look and feel' especially when that seems to be a complaint about iPhone 5), but don't like that it's so thick. It's a brick. :eek:

hawk1410

macrumors 6502
Jul 5, 2011
It is a nice and goodlooking phone, but the app eco system is weak, hoping it will get better after Win 8 is re;eased and metro becomes more widespread.

Heavenly

macrumors member
Sep 16, 2009
Northwestern University
And to be honest, is there really a place for a 3rd OS in mobile space? WebOS has failed, and Blackberry is on a major decline.

Will WP be able to break through the market? Remains to be seen.
W8 Phone certainly has the most potential for growth over the next 2-5 years(they will still be 3rd but market share can be be ~10%). However, the risk is so high and if Microsoft doesn't get out of their 2-3% market share with W8P, it's pretty much the end for Nokia.

vistadude

macrumors 65816
Jan 3, 2010
If it's $199 for the Lumia 920 on a 2 year contract (let's say the 820 is not an option or not available on your carrier of choice), would you go for it?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.