Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ItHurtsWhenIP

macrumors 6502
Aug 20, 2013
'Merica!
I've never owned an iPhone, but believe me I was as close as I've ever been when deciding between a 6S Plus and the Nexus 6P last fall.

I sure as hell wouldn't and won't consider any smartphone without a headphone jack...I don't care if it's Android or iOS.

Appleaker

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jun 13, 2016
The elimination of the headphone jack means charging and listening cannot occur simultaneously unless there is a kludge adapter of some kind. But what if Apple also -- finally -- introduces wireless charging, so you could simply put down the phone and charge it on a pad while you listen via Lightning? The rumors all say they have eliminated the antenna bands on the back of the phone, which makes some sense if you are going to need charging sensors there.
They'll expect you to be listening through wireless headphones so it's therefore possible. Although I expect 3rd parties to produce an adapter with both lightning and 3.5mm (maybe dual lightning).
They have not eliminated the antenna bands, just cleaned up how they look. It would make no difference anyway. The limiting factor is the aluminium which means wireless charging cannot be implemented unless they use the hybrid material they patented.
[doublepost=1470194497][/doublepost]
I've never owned an iPhone, but believe me I was as close as I've ever been when deciding between a 6S Plus and the Nexus 6P last fall.

I sure as hell wouldn't and won't consider any smartphone without a headphone jack...I don't care if it's Android or iOS.
Yeah I think it will push some people away from iPhone, along with the similar design and proposed iPhone 6SE naming.

BenTrovato

macrumors 68040
Jun 29, 2012
Canada
Wireless headphones is actually the first thing Apple has done that will make me move away from the brand. Their pathetic non upgrade able computers was tough, but they just don't make sense anymore. A $1000 32gb device with no headphone jack. Cool. Who's calling the shots there? Fire them.

Reactions: nope7308

Armen

macrumors 604
Apr 30, 2013
Los Angeles
Wireless headphones is actually the first thing Apple has done that will make me move away from the brand. Their pathetic non upgrade able computers was tough, but they just don't make sense anymore. A $1000 32gb device with no headphone jack. Cool. Who's calling the shots there? Fire them.

Apple hasn't even announced the iPhone 7 yet and 2 manufacturers are already releasing phones with no headphone jacks based on rumors that Apple was going to remove theirs. How's that for not making any sense?

http://www.theverge.com/2016/6/10/11900992/moto-z-specs-no-headphone-jack
http://www.theverge.com/circuitbreaker/2016/6/9/11893044/leeco-headphone-jack-usb-c-smartphones

Oh, and that "pathetic non upgradeable" computer is outselling PC's.

http://fortune.com/2016/04/12/dude-youre-getting-a-mac/

Last edited:

buster84

macrumors 6502
Oct 7, 2013
Apple hasn't even announced the iPhone 7 yet and manufacturers are already releasing phones with no headphone jacks based on rumors that Apple was going to remove theirs. How's that for not making any sense? Who takes action based on a rumors?

http://www.theverge.com/circuitbreaker/2016/6/9/11893044/leeco-headphone-jack-usb-c-smartphones

LOL, that would be good marketing. Apple tells everyone there removing it, realizes how stupid of an idea it is and how terrible the end user would feel so they cry wolf and hope people try to steal the idea then release the iphone 7 with the headphone jack coming out and saying, "those other manufactures dont understand the customer base, look they removed their headphone jacks. So free Dr Dre beats we gave you for buying an a mac would have more annoying to use"

Armen

macrumors 604
Apr 30, 2013
Los Angeles
LOL, that would be good marketing. Apple tells everyone there removing it, realizes how stupid of an idea it is and how terrible the end user would feel so they cry wolf and hope people try to steal the idea then release the iphone 7 with the headphone jack coming out and saying, "those other manufactures dont understand the customer base, look they removed their headphone jacks. So free Dr Dre beats we gave you for buying an a mac would have more annoying to use"

Wasn't Apple first to remove the floppy disk drive as well and everyone followed?

Reactions: robpow

buster84

macrumors 6502
Oct 7, 2013
Wasn't Apple first to remove the floppy disk drive as well and everyone followed?

I wouldnt say that, more so by bigger hard drive but the cd-rom is what really did it. Portable disposable discs that allowed you to write 750mb and 800mb cds.

Appleaker

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jun 13, 2016
Engadget seems to give Apple credit for killing the floppy disk drive.

https://www.engadget.com/2010/04/28/the-floppy-disk-is-dead-and-apple-helped-kill-it/

I guess we can give Apple credit for killing the headphone jack.
Yeah we're probably going to see the same thing with the headphone jack. They'll say something something like "Apple was right all along and we wouldn't have moved on if it weren't for the iPhone 7". Again, the difference is there is no obvious alternative that holds all the advantages as there was with other removals. Steve Jobs knew when to kill something off but I don't think I could say the same thing for Tim Cook. I could be wrong.

Suspended
Apr 4, 2016
Steve Jobs knew when to kill something off but I don't think I could say the same thing for Tim Cook. I could be wrong.
believing that the CEO of any company takes decisions about design, technology and features of a product means not knowing how a company works.

yes, in this regard Steve Jobs was probably one of a kind, an exception, who also as CEO continued qgiving strict directives to his fellows and taking many of the decisions by himself and probably thanks to his great vision on consumer gadgets, that's how many great devices came to life.

Cook is different, he was and is now the economic and marketing mind behind apple, not the one who genuinely cares about 'making great products', as Jobs always claimed about himself.
Cook is rather the one who is best able to advertise and make profit out of any piece of garbage.
(some due sarcasm here).

Appleaker

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jun 13, 2016
believing that the CEO of any company takes decisions about design, technology and features of a product means not knowing how a company works.

yes, in this regard Steve Jobs was probably one of a kind, an exception, who also as CEO continued qgiving strict directives to his fellows and taking many of the decisions by himself and probably thanks to his great vision on consumer gadgets, that's how many great devices came to life.

Cook is different, he was and is now the economic and marketing mind behind apple, not the one who genuinely cares about 'making great products', as Jobs always claimed about himself.
Cook is rather the one who is best able to advertise and make profit out of any piece of garbage.
(some due sarcasm here).
No it doesn't. Wih Steve Jobs, Apple didn't work like a traditional company. He was involved in a lot of the decisions because he wanted the products to be good rather than simply to make money, something that is not shared by Tim Cook. Now, Apple are moving towards operating like a traditional company where decisions are made by the board, in-company analysts, designers, etc. But Steve Jobs did make those decisions.
[doublepost=1470257084][/doublepost]

(some due sarcasm here).
Sorry, just read beyond the first paragraph now. Yeah, I agree except Tim Cook would likely have a say in decisions like these.

eoblaed

macrumors 68030
Apr 21, 2010

1. Apple didn't tell anyone they were removing it.
  2. It's not a stupid idea.
  3. The end user won't feel terrible, despite all the pearl clutching going on at the moment.
  4. I have no idea how to interpret "So free Dr Dre beats we gave you for buying an a mac would have more annoying to use"

(I was hoping my 1000th post would've been something epic, oh well, o_O)

BenTrovato

macrumors 68040
Jun 29, 2012
Canada
Apple hasn't even announced the iPhone 7 yet and 2 manufacturers are already releasing phones with no headphone jacks based on rumors that Apple was going to remove theirs. How's that for not making any sense?

I'm not sure how macs outselling pc's makes them not pathetic. Marketing is one thing, value is another. You're speaking to someone who drank the Apple koolaid and has a Mac. What I'm saying is that the koolaid is running out. That amount of money for non upgrade able computer doesn't make sense anymore. People will figure it out on their own time. I might be slow or ahead of the curve, I don't really know.

Armen

macrumors 604
Apr 30, 2013
Los Angeles
I'm not sure how macs outselling pc's makes them not pathetic. Marketing is one thing, value is another. You're speaking to someone who drank the Apple koolaid and has a Mac. What I'm saying is that the koolaid is running out. That amount of money for non upgrade able computer doesn't make sense anymore. People will figure it out on their own time. I might be slow or ahead of the curve, I don't really know.

Well, when people start talking with their wallets than maybe Apple will listen.

TJone

macrumors 6502a
Aug 2, 2010
I am happy Apple is removing the headphone jack and therefore my incentive to upgrade this year. I never like upgrading anything if it means downgrading a feature I use. I like that I can use my aux in jack in my car and charge simultaneously. Well I am happy to save some money on a phone upgrade this year. I bet the 2017 anniversary iPhone will introduce a revolutionary feature that will change everything after extended customer protests... A headphone jack. ;)

ozipital

macrumors newbie
Aug 4, 2016
Although I expect 3rd parties to produce an adapter with both lightning and 3.5mm (maybe dual lightning)..

I currently use my earphones through a Dragonfly DAC/headphone amp which connects via the lightning port and gives much improved sound, however the lightning port connection is inherently unstable compared with a headphone jack so the sound frequently stops when I am on the move. i think people will get very pissed off if this happens with a jackless iphone 7.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.