Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gusruck

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 15, 2006
I have been trying to figure out what case to buy for my MacBook. At first I had my eyes set on the STM Small Alley bag, but after seeing it in person I realized it wouldn't be ideal for grad school as I will have to carry some books every now and then.

I also realized that I allready have a rather nice black leather messenger bag that is more than big enough to carry both my laptop and books when needed. Only problem is that it offers no protection for the computer.

I have been coveting a nice neoprene sleeve for my computer; I like the Incase one but it never seems to be in stock and people have been complaining about its lack of zipper protection.

If anyone actually has the MacBook Incase sleeve (the one specififically designed for 13.3" computer), could they please post a mini review.

jason2811

macrumors 6502a
May 8, 2006
I have heard that they don' provide the MacBook with a tight and snug hold. They are a little loose on one of the sidess.

ravenvii

macrumors 604
Mar 17, 2004
Melenkurion Skyweir
Also, if you read the reviews on Apple's site, as well as elsewhere, you'll find that some had their MacBooks scratched by the zipper because there are no protection.

I'm going with the nylon sleeve. Take that for what it's worth.

If you want a minimalist sleeve with no handles or anything, check out RadTech's Glove or Rebound. They may fit the bill.

gusruck

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 15, 2006
after checking the reviews it does appear the incase sleeve is too big. the radtech sleeves look nice but one isnt going to be released until after august and the other is backordered. It appears that there are no neoprene sleeves available at all.

Does anyone else have any suggestions on brands?

gusruck

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 15, 2006
hey guys thanks for all the input. I went to my local apple store to see what they had, they had an olive small alley bag in stock. Since it was only 39.99 i decided to give it a shot.

It might work out better than just buying a sleeve as ill be far more careful if the bag just has my computer in it.

Ill post again with my impressions later.

d wade

macrumors 65816
Jun 27, 2006
Boca Raton, FL
i have one and i like it alot. my macbook doest travel alot, so it is good for the few short times i need to protect it from scratches and stuff

Acehigh

macrumors 6502
Mar 5, 2006
jason2811 said:
I have heard that they don' provide the MacBook with a tight and snug hold. They are a little loose on one of the sidess.

You heard wrong.. The Incase sleeve for the macbook was made just for the macbook. That is why it took longer to come out.

The STM alleyway is very small.. If you only want to carry your laptop its fine. Also that is very loose inside and you probably need a sleeve anyways. Its not really worth it. Better to buy a sleeve and another bag.

Attachments

• DSC00703.JPG
    DSC00703.JPG
    150.4 KB · Views: 247
  • DSC00705.JPG
    DSC00705.JPG
    144.3 KB · Views: 207
  • DSC00704.JPG
    DSC00704.JPG
    133.8 KB · Views: 137
  • DSC00708.JPG
    DSC00708.JPG
    152.8 KB · Views: 128
  • DSC00706.JPG
    DSC00706.JPG
    143.2 KB · Views: 130

Acehigh

macrumors 6502
Mar 5, 2006
ljump12 said:
I purchased this sleve offa ebay; and am realllly happy with it; It cost only $20, yet fits the macbook like a glove.[/IMG]

Was that $20 included shipping? If not what was the total..

QCassidy352

macrumors G5
Mar 20, 2003
Bay Area
let me third waterfield. the sleeve is a little bit bulky, but then again, that's better protection. :) It's a great product.

Brandon Chapman

macrumors newbie
Jul 17, 2006
ljump12 said:
I purchased this sleve offa ebay; and am realllly happy with it; It cost only $20, yet fits the macbook like a glove.

I have that same one. I like it a lot so far (2 days.)

gusruck

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 15, 2006
so far im very impressed with my stm small alley bag. It has padding on all sides of the computer compartment. The compartment is a little wide but fits snuggly on allother sides so it does not move around much at all. The bag holds more than i thought it would.

I highly reccommend the bag as its a good value for the quality product you get.

I will eventually end up getting an sleeve but for now im happy with the stm bag

sunfast

macrumors 68020
Oct 14, 2005
sunfast said:
i've got a Be.ez LaRobe coming. Will post about it when it's here.

Well, it's here! Collected it yesterday and very happy so far. Feels well made and nicely thought out. Can post some pics if people are interested.

moesker007

macrumors member
Jun 28, 2005
Minneapolis, MN
sunfast said:
Well, it's here! Collected it yesterday and very happy so far. Feels well made and nicely thought out. Can post some pics if people are interested.
Hey, pics would be great! I really want the green sleeve for my lil macbook but i have no idea where to get one in the US, where did you get yours?

iHeartTheApple

macrumors 6502
Feb 13, 2006
Boston, MA
Hmm...The incase sleeve looks nice, but the "no zipper protection" bugs me a bit. I think I may just go with an STM Glove or Rebound to replace this terrible Bitolithic sleeve. :( :D

mattcube64

macrumors 65816
May 21, 2006
Missouri
Heh, I was looking through the thread, and had a great since of deja' vu'. Turns out this got bumped from like, five moths ago, lol.

Anyways, I ended up picking up the InCase sleeve during the time this thread was still around. No complaints. I love it.

daneoni

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2006
I've had inCase for almost two years now, i used it with my PowerBook and transferred it to my MacBook Pro with no qualms although its a tad tighter with the MBP nothing major.

No scratches.

extraextra

macrumors 68000
Jun 29, 2006
California
I think the people who complain about it being too wide ordered the wrong size, pff. I have one and it's perfectly snug! The zipper doesn't scratch either, but be sure to remove the tag inside (just cut it out with scissors) because that will scratch a Macbook.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.