Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Benz63amg

macrumors 601
Oct 17, 2010
Hey guys, just got this case in the mail.

all i can say is WOW. what an awesome case. its beautiful, sure the sleep/wake isnt working but i dont care.

It looks just like the leather smart cover from apple, it protects the back of the iPad, very stylish.

sdwhite1215

macrumors member
Oct 2, 2010
Tracking info said out for delivery. Came home from work and didn't see it at the front door so I went to the mailbox and found a signature slip and an envelope saying I owed an additional $4.20 for shipping. WTH?

Anyone else get this?

Thinking about checking return to sender and putting the slip back in the mailbox.

overlyunderme

macrumors regular
Jun 22, 2010
Houston
Yes it's a nice case, but it seems folks go to test the sleep/wake function confirm that it isn't working then go on a rant about how the case sucks. Funny how no one says why they hate it other than magnetgate. One guy did mention having a issue taking pics with it, but they clearly didn't make an attempt to fold the cover over to allow taking pics without removing the case.

Even without the magnet issue, this case still sucks. I can't wait to call them to get my shipping ticket to send it back for a refund. I bought a Targus VuScape and it is so much better in every aspect. the leather on the Lexington feels cheap and flimsy as well as the stitching. When in landscape view mode, the flap doesn't always stay tucked under. The VuScape has 2 adjustable viewing angles whereas this one only has one. Overall, build quality just isn't there for what I paid for this case. Couple that with having to wait a week for it to get in my hands just sours my experience with Incipio.

Yanksrule311

macrumors newbie
Mar 22, 2012
All, I found the following on an amazon review. If its true it would explain the issues manufacturers are having with sleep/wake

http://www.amazon.com/review/R3T1OZZL9E6DFM/ref=cm_cr_pr_viewpnt#R3T1OZZL9E6DFM

Edit: According to various web sources, the problem with the cover not sleeping or waking the iPad is caused by a change in the iPad 3 -- Apple changed the design so that only one polarity of magnet will activate the switch. (The iPad 2 wasn't polarity specific, so when users folded their smart cover around the back side of the iPad, they would sometimes activate sleep mode.) It's not Belkin's fault; apparently, Apple didn't inform the accessory manufacturers of this change. I assume that Belkin will correct this problem and will update my review when they do, but buyers with 3d gen iPads might want to hold off until it is fixed.

Benz63amg

macrumors 601
Oct 17, 2010
Even without the magnet issue, this case still sucks. I can't wait to call them to get my shipping ticket to send it back for a refund. I bought a Targus VuScape and it is so much better in every aspect. the leather on the Lexington feels cheap and flimsy as well as the stitching. When in landscape view mode, the flap doesn't always stay tucked under. The VuScape has 2 adjustable viewing angles whereas this one only has one. Overall, build quality just isn't there for what I paid for this case. Couple that with having to wait a week for it to get in my hands just sours my experience with Incipio.

Sucks? yeah okay.. pfft. :rolleyes:

Its an awesome case with or without the wake/sleep function, very slim and provides all around protection, it looks like i have the 80 dollar apple leather smart cover on from a few feet away.

i love it, the only thing im not a fan of is the buckle but oh well, ill get used to it.

richpjr

macrumors 68040
May 9, 2006
how in the world did you figure that they will not want you to ship the old one back?

Im pretty sure they will want the non working case back.

I just called customer service and they said that they WILL want the defective case back because they have to put in the defect database of the company..

Not all vendors are doing this. Maroo is letting people keep both the cases with the reversed magnets and the replacements.

kobyh15

macrumors 6502a
Jan 29, 2011
Wirelessly posted

Got mine today as well. Fits perfectly and looks really good. I'm going to keep it despite the magnet debacle. Does Apple not communicate with any accessory makers? A simple heads-up about the changing of the sensors would have been enough to have avoided all of this confusion.

dromi

macrumors member
Oct 17, 2011
Still no response from incipio. Hmmm, should I call them?

they must be pretty overhelmed with emails, and you have your case already. Why not just chill out for a bit, since they won't have the replacement for 2 weeks at least.. There is also the support chat in the website, maybe they will confirm receipt of your email..

Alboma

macrumors newbie
Mar 19, 2012
they must be pretty overhelmed with emails, and you have your case already. Why not just chill out for a bit, since they won't have the replacement for 2 weeks at least.. There is also the support chat in the website, maybe they will confirm receipt of your email..

It is true...I am one of many who sent email to Incipio on Wed, after placing the order (oops!) The shipment is actually on the way. Got replied by email today that said the same thing about replacement in about 2 weeks. I am happy with their response. So I decide to test the case first once it arrive probably next week, and decide with the given option later. Can't really blame them. It's caused by Apple's last minute decision with the magnet design and no informing to the third-party manufacturers.

number84

macrumors 6502
Mar 30, 2011
Why does everyone keep saying can't blame them, it's Apple's fault for not telling 3rd party accessory makers their plans for their device? All these companies are making money making accessories and should be testing these things before shipping out. It was their choice to start manufacturing them without having an actual device to test it on - to be first to market. But as soon as the iPad was available, they should have tested it right away. It's a 2 second test to see if the thing even works as advertised. What's even more shocking is there isn't even a magnet to be had on these things. So, they didn't even put magnets in there in the first place! So, my gut is telling me they knew full well that that feature would not work. But still advertised it.

Anyway, sorry for the rant. I have a defective one on the way and a replacement should be following shortly thereafter. I'm going to give the case a try still, but you people who keep saying "who cares if the magnets work or not", these people (including myself) bought it under the assumption that it would!

LR Hog

macrumors newbie
Mar 7, 2012
Just received my Lexington today

Very stylish and sleek. Reminds of the Apple case for iPad 1. I could do without the tab/flap, as it is a little annoying but the look and feel outweigh any negative there. I called about the sleep/wake function not working and the customer service rep was very helpful. She said Apple changed magnet specs after they had released dimensions to third party vendors. New Lexington cases will be ready in 1 to 2 weeks and they will ship me a new one. I will receive a email letting me know when it ships. She said I do not have to send back the original non-working case.

Last edited:

rich1489

macrumors newbie
Mar 21, 2012
Sending out a fixed case

Customer service responded today - said they would send out the replacement in about a week. No mention of whether they want the old one back. I would assume so. I have no need for it anyway - I just have one iPad.

I do like the case. The tab has loosened in a few days. If you use the tab when you fold the cover over it stays put well.

foamposite

macrumors newbie
Mar 19, 2012
Customer service responded today - said they would send out the replacement in about a week. No mention of whether they want the old one back. I would assume so. I have no need for it anyway - I just have one iPad.

Did they mention how they will send you a replacement since it doesn't release until a week or so?

Nebrie

macrumors 6502a
Jan 5, 2002
Why does everyone keep saying can't blame them, it's Apple's fault for not telling 3rd party accessory makers their plans for their device? All these companies are making money making accessories and should be testing these things before shipping out. It was their choice to start manufacturing them without having an actual device to test it on - to be first to market. But as soon as the iPad was available, they should have tested it right away. It's a 2 second test to see if the thing even works as advertised. What's even more shocking is there isn't even a magnet to be had on these things. So, they didn't even put magnets in there in the first place! So, my gut is telling me they knew full well that that feature would not work. But still advertised it.

They used to do this for key accessory makers back in the iPod days. They stopped after each one ran straight to Macrumors after being told.

Stealthipad

macrumors 68040
Apr 30, 2010
how in the world did you figure that they will not want you to ship the old one back?

Im pretty sure they will want the non working case back.

I just called customer service and they said that they WILL want the defective case back because they have to put in the defect database of the company..

I purchase the Targus Slim leather case which fit perfect but the magnets did not work. I contacted Amazon who credited my account instantly for the $50 and gave me a Targus phone number to call. Targus has me on a list to send the new case before they even release it to retail. They also said that there was NO REASON TO RETURN THE DEFECTIVE CASE and that I can use it till the new one arrives and toss it.

Macman45

macrumors G5
Jul 29, 2011
Somewhere Back In The Long Ago
I purchase the Targus Slim leather case which fit perfect but the magnets did not work. I contacted Amazon who credited my account instantly for the $50 and gave me a Targus phone number to call. Targus has me on a list to send the new case before they even release it to retail. They also said that there was NO REASON TO RETURN THE DEFECTIVE CASE and that I can use it till the new one arrives and toss it.

So it seems that true iPad third generation cases are just as hard to get back home as they are here? So far it's all April release dates...I found a Targus rear shell, but that still hasn't despached, and although the company show it as in stock, I doubt it. Maroo, Kaja etc. nothing until April.

Trying to decide between the Maroo and the Kaja London...Meantime? I'd settle for a rear shell!

Stealthipad

macrumors 68040
Apr 30, 2010
So it seems that true iPad third generation cases are just as hard to get back home as they are here? So far it's all April release dates...I found a Targus rear shell, but that still hasn't despached, and although the company show it as in stock, I doubt it. Maroo, Kaja etc. nothing until April.

Trying to decide between the Maroo and the Kaja London...Meantime? I'd settle for a rear shell!

Right now I am used the smart cover I purchased for my iPad 1 and will just be a little careful for a few weeks and use my SF Bags sleeve. I am giving case hunting a rest till the makers get it all sorted out.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.