Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gary568

macrumors newbie
Jan 22, 2013
Get the XT, I am sure the noisy fan/cooler on the GT would drive you nuts. As for the extra Pixel Shaders, I assume that they are NOT used if you flash a XT chip, since this is set by either the BIOS or the driver or probably a combination of both. This is just product differentiation (read: ATI produces a wafer full of R580 GPUs. Due to the production process, chips in the center of the wafer will end up being the "full" GPUs with every pixel shader activated, ending up on the XT cards. The chips away from the center will have defects resulting in fewer functioning pixel shaders, making them the GT chips. Since the number of pixel shaders must be fixed somehow, the BIOS or driver has to tell the card how many shaders to use. I don't know of a tool equivalent to GPU-Z which could tell how many pixel shaders are actually in use..)

@Colpeas: I am currently not able to send you the ROM file since I'm away from my G5. Send me your e-mail address via PM and I'll get back to you on the weekend.

Hi Thorns,

Sorry to revive this semi-old thread...I just purchased a PowerMac G5 dual-core 2.3 and love it, it is my first Mac following being a PC user for 20+ years. I would like to swap out the 6600LE card for a x1900 / x1950 but cannot find anywhere where I can download the ROM for it. Could you send me the ROM file please?

Thanks,

Gary

Nameci

macrumors 68000
Oct 29, 2010
The Philippines...
Hi Thorns,

Sorry to revive this semi-old thread...I just purchased a PowerMac G5 dual-core 2.3 and love it, it is my first Mac following being a PC user for 20+ years. I would like to swap out the 6600LE card for a x1900 / x1950 but cannot find anywhere where I can download the ROM for it. Could you send me the ROM file please?

Thanks,

Gary

Send me a PM...

Blackberryroid

macrumors 6502a
Aug 8, 2012
/private/var/vm/
You've got a better computer than you think, tho crippled a little by the LE video card. Late 2005 final revision PMG5 Dual Core 2.0.

16 gigs of ram
2 TB HD
Quadro video card.

You'd be happier than you think with it.

I might understand the 2 TB HDD part, but 16 GB RAM and Quadro Video Card? Seriously? With that processor, it's nearly useless as a rock. You can't run Windows off of it, that means no gaming, cancels the video card.

And it's not like you are going to do video editing on it, because, again, barely any apps run on it and that processor is really going to irk you with the rendering time, thus making the 16 GB worthless.

A low-end Mac mini is worth more than that machine. I say, sell it.

MisterKeeks

macrumors 68000
Nov 15, 2012
I might understand the 2 TB HDD part, but 16 GB RAM and Quadro Video Card? Seriously? With that processor, it's nearly useless as a rock. You can't run Windows off of it, that means no gaming, cancels the video card.

And it's not like you are going to do video editing on it, because, again, barely any apps run on it and that processor is really going to irk you with the rendering time, thus making the 16 GB worthless.

I don't know if you have used a G5, but I think you don't give it enough credit. Perhaps for gaming, you are stuck with games from 2008-2009 (I wouldn't know, I don't game), and for video editing, it's not optimal, but it can be done, Final Cut Studio 3 runs on it, etc.

However, it is good for most basic things- web browsing, that sort of thing.
The OP ended up keeping it, and judging from his recent threads, it is a media server.

Jethryn Freyman

macrumors 68020
Aug 9, 2007
Australia

I got a fairly slow G5 CPU, a dual 1.8GHz. I've also got an SSD boot drive, maxed out 4GB memory, and the fastest GPU you can get.

Everything I do, it's the CPU that is the bottleneck. Both in raw single-CPU pace, and the face that most PPC software can only work with a single CPU.

Still, it supports three PCI cards and can be easily fixed and upgraded compared to a current mini. Not to mention, you can even grate cheese on it, if you love cheese, lack a grater, and get really desperate.

prvt.donut

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 1, 2008
I'm keeping it for now, I did buy a few upgrades for it, 8GB of RAM, and I ended up getting the Apple airport/Bluetooth card as I had a Magic Mouse and Apple Keyboard already. Also I ended up getting an SSD for it because ever since I had my first computer with an SSD 2 years ago, I refuse to have a computer with an OS on a spinning drive. And I can always move the SSD to my next computer.

Right now, it is working nice, I still might flash that x1900xt I have. I wouldn't buy a GPU for it though. It's a bit too much for the value of it. Considering the power and cost of new cards.

I will keep it for now, it fulfills a role of holding my media and I have Aperture on it for my photos.

I live in Tokyo, and space is limited, I am tempted to build a CustoMac, I can build with the latest parts and have more fun with it.

wobegong

May 29, 2012

You're being a little bit unfair - The memory and video card will be ebay/second hand so not expensive. Games wise I have the exact same machine with a 7800GTX card and yes you are limited but still run Civilisation III & IV, Quake IV, Doom III (all at maximum settings), Amnesia (surprisingly a modern game), then old Call of Duty's, Medal of Honor, Unreal Tournament 2004, Quake III etc etc. For all other tasks it is an admirable machine though I will agree with you on larger rendering jobs but as mine were all converting to .264 I used an Elgato Turbo.264 USB dongle to speed those up to almost as fast as my MacbookPro i7.....

Now used as an XMBC Media Server (because yes, the MBP is much smoother and more importantly able to run modern software) and (seriously...) runs XBMC smoother and (menu transitions) faster than my Macbook 2.4 C2D.....

aboutkab

macrumors newbie
Mar 5, 2013
Belgium (Mechelen)
If you are still interested, I still have the ROM file I got from Thorns some time ago...

Hello Colpeas,

I am sorry to parasite this thread but I am new here and I didn't find a way to PM you directly.

Somebody sent me to you about a 7800 GTX 512mb rom file. I need this file as I got me a PC Graphics card. I have a Power Mac G5 Quad.

Can you help me out with this ?

Greetings

Colpeas

macrumors 6502
Sep 30, 2011
Prague, Czech Rep.
Hello Colpeas,

I am sorry to parasite this thread but I am new here and I didn't find a way to PM you directly.

Somebody sent me to you about a 7800 GTX 512mb rom file. I need this file as I got me a PC Graphics card. I have a Power Mac G5 Quad.

Greetings

Unfortunately I can't. In order to flash 7800GTX you need Quadro FX4500 ROM file, which I don't have and never had.

Whoever sent you to me, pointed you in the wrong direction, sorry.

@Colpeas yes I'm still interested but I can't send pms.

See attachment.

Attachments

• X1950MAC.zip
    17.3 KB · Views: 88
Last edited:

prvt.donut

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 1, 2008
Ahhhh, I sold it in the end...

Got $650 for it including the 23"ACD, Magic Mouse and Apple wireless Keyboard, 240GB SSD and 1 TB data drive.

Now I have built a nice corei7 980x, 18GB Ram, 5970 Mountain Lion Hackintosh/Windows Gaming box.

As I don't have a monitor, I have to use the TV (40" 3DTV), I discovered that it plays Crysis 3 very nicely in full 3D HD!!!!:D

I am still working on the setup, but currently have ML on a 240GB SSD, a 250GB drive for a CCC backup, Win7 on a 160GB drive that I will change to a 120GB SSD soon and then use the 160GB drive as a backup image drive and just a little 500GB RAID 1 storage drive for both OS's to use.

Hackintosh's, they are the way forward!

Arkious

macrumors 6502a
Mar 14, 2011
Newcastle, UK
For your reference;

I have a quad G5 late 2005 2.5GHz.

I have 16 GB of RAM on it.

I have an SSD as boot drive and 1 terabyte of HDD for data.

I have Quadro FX4500 as my gfx card.

I also have an apple cinema display 23" same as you.

I fitted it with original apple extreme card.

For external storage, I have a 1 terabyte for back up and time machine connected to an eSATA PCIe card on my G5. Accessing my external is faster than accessing my data disk.

My job entails working in illustrator and photoshop as well as doing CAD work.

And I will still have to find a thing that could choke my G5.

If I were you I would keep and slowly kit it. It would last you for at least another 5 years.

Leopard all the way.

For graphics card, get the ATI x1900. It is faster if not better than QFX4500. The 4500 is a work station card, special functions can only be utilized if you are doing CAD work or some video stuff. The ATI is a much faster card than QFX afaik.

That's quite a beast of an old G5!

grapels

macrumors newbie
Apr 20, 2013
I just built one also...

I would have kept it... but that's me... I don't like the idea of running hackintosh b/c I have use it for business...

I've had it for about 3 weeks and built it out of spare parts I had laying around. I paid $200 for a g5 2.3ghz with 2 23" apple cinema displays.

I loaded a 2 1tb hard drives in it and bumped the ram up to 12gb.

I plan to use it for editing/video work... It's a much cheaper entry still than mac pros. So far it's taken everything I can throw at it, and the performance is very snappy.

I plan to use it as my main machine for the next few years... then I'll probably move the drives over to a pro, and keep the monitors.

Caveat, I don't think you made a mistake selling the G5... I would have kept the monitors if I were you though, they are awesome. The detail level and richness of blacks is worth it if you do graphics/video work/doc layouts... it is noticeably better and easier on the eyes, and accurate, than my 1920x1080 led lg.

For performance unless you *have* to run intel apps, it's a bargain. I just use Office 2008, Adobe CS4, FCP6... still can get perfect quality stuff out of them.

I have a macbook if I really need to run intel apps, but, the macbook can't handle the video/processing like this thing. nor does it have the screen space I need.

Optimally I'd get a mac pro, but this can get 95% of everything done I need to, so....didn't see the point of dumping so much more money.

Last edited:

mgwardencki

macrumors newbie
Mar 1, 2013
try this

Hello Colpeas,

Greetings

Attachments

• GTXG5.zip
    30 KB · Views: 107

SuperPolli

macrumors regular
Apr 20, 2013
New Jersey
I Like It

I use a late 2005 Power Mac G5 with a 320 GB HDD (Getting a 500 GB in a few weeks) 6 GB RAM, and the same graphics you have. I love it. It makes a great media server.

I'd say keep it.

tevion5

macrumors 68000
Jul 12, 2011
Ireland
Did they throw out that 23" cinema display as well? An aluminium one?

I wish this company that likes to throw awesome things at people for free existed nearer to me! :p

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.