Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

William Gates

macrumors 6502
Oct 26, 2007
Why is everyone always so pissed at Apple for having “old” hardware, when it’s Intel that’s been causing the delays? Besides, my Late 2013 15” rMBP still works darn well for my power user workflow.
Well, Skylake processors suitable for the Macbook Pro have been available for several months now and not a peep from Apple on when it will be updated. As for your 2013 rMBP working well for you, that's great. I on the other hand am on a 2011 MBA and don't want to shell out $2k for a 16 month old machine.

cambookpro

macrumors 604
Feb 3, 2010
United Kingdom
Why is everyone always so pissed at Apple for having “old” hardware, when it’s Intel that’s been causing the delays? Besides, my Late 2013 15” rMBP still works darn well for my power user workflow.

Chips for the MacBook Pro, Air, Mac mini, and Mac Pro have been available for a long time and Apple have had ample time to produce updated machines. You can't say it's Intel's fault that that Mac Pro hasn't been updated for over three years, or the MacBook Pro for almost a year and a half.

apolloa

Suspended
Oct 21, 2008
Time, because it rules EVERYTHING!
Chips for the MacBook Pro, Air, Mac mini, and Mac Pro have been available for a long time and Apple have had ample time to produce updated machines. You can't say it's Intel's fault that that Mac Pro hasn't been updated for over three years, or the MacBook Pro for almost a year and a half.

Actually yes you CAN. The new Intel CPUs that are suitable for the MacBook Pros have only come out in the last month or two. And it will be the same long wait time for Kaby Lake mobile processors that are suitable.

Reactions: ShaunAFC3 and R3k

BaltimoreMediaBlog

Suspended
Jul 30, 2015
DC / Baltimore / Northeast
I'm reminded of Steve Jobs' frustration over the slow progress in PowerPC, resulting in the shift to Intel. I'd like to see Apple capture the margin Intel earns, and use it to advance their A family architecture.

You can bet if Steve Jobs were still alive, he'd be keeping internal builds of OS X for PowerPC, ARM, and would probably be interested in HP's new chip architecture they're starting from the ground up. I just read an article about IBM latest big push for PowerPC too. He might not switch chipsets, but he'd definitely starting lighting a fire under the asses at Intel on a regular basis.

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007

Because Skylake started shipping last year and Apple hasn't updated most of their computers since before Skylake.

Apple went so long between updates that I now mostly use a Dell laptop from work. It's pretty nice. Not sure I'll be bothering with spending my own money on another Apple branded computer. The longer Apple takes, the more people are going to shift away from Apple, and there's the question - will we ever bother shifting back?

cambookpro

macrumors 604
Feb 3, 2010
United Kingdom
Actually yes you CAN. The new Intel CPUs that are suitable for the MacBook Pros have only come out in the last month or two. And it will be the same long wait time for Kaby Lake mobile processors that are suitable.
Dell, Razer, HP, Asus, Lenovo, etc. have all produced laptops with Skylake chips similar to the MBP.

The 15" MBP is still using Haswell processors, never mind Broadwell, Skylake or Kaby Lake.

It's a great shame, as Apple used to be on the forefront of personal computing. It wasn't too long ago they had chips before any other manufacturer.

Quite frankly, I find it insulting that Apple still charge thousands of dollars for technology which is years old, without reducing the price at all, but there you go.

sziehr

macrumors 6502a
Jun 11, 2009
So who here thinks they might just might go straight to Kaby lake since it has every thing they want on there new machine with out a lot of co-processors eating up power.

This may very well be the chips being shipped to apple early. Why cause intel screwed them with skylake

Reactions: ShaunAFC3

ozarkcanoer

macrumors member
Sep 21, 2012
This huge delay on Mac updates is making me think that ARM Macs are coming sooner rather than later.

Finally I've ended my year long parallel use of Quicken Mac 2016 & Quicken Windows 2013 so no longer need to use my Windows 7 virtual machine (VirtualBox -thanks). I'm ready for an Apple A1X cpu instead of an Intel in either a new iMac or MacBook Pro to replace my iMac (late 2012).

If I have to wait past 2016 I'll probably replace the Fusion drive with a single SSD.

Reactions: ShaunAFC3

ThisBougieLife

Suspended
Jan 21, 2016
Northern California
Who decides they are outdated? I'm very happy with my 2015 15" Pro. Blazing fast compared to what it replaced (late 08 Pro) and while newer stuff might give me a few more minutes of battery and a few better specs I need a computer to edit 4K videos and this one does it and does it well. Specs are for PC users and always have been.

I can't facepalm this enough. Like, there isn't a palm that can hit my face hard enough to express the embarrassment I feel for you and for others while reading this awful comment.

It's this kind of backwards thinking that causes these kinds of delays and causes Apple to charge $2500+ for a laptop with years-old processors...

Last edited:

kiranmk2

macrumors 68000
Oct 4, 2008

Apple will have received engineering samples from Intel to enable them to design their new MBPs - thus they should have been ready to go as soon as the chips were available en-masse. It's even worse for the rMB - these chips started shipping last year but only ended up in a new (non-redesigned) Mac in March. Pure and simple this is Apple being stretched too thinly and taking its eye of the Mac market and onto Apple Music, TV rights deals and the Watch.

MacAddict1978

macrumors 68000
Jun 21, 2006

Well, let's see.... Skylake has been available for over a year.... and Macbook pros haven't been updated in over a year.... so sure, we can blame intel for that.
*shakes head*

Johnny907

macrumors 68000
Sep 20, 2014
Skylake already supports Thunderbolt 3, so who cares? Kabylake offers a modest bump in speed and really that's about it. Yeah it would be nice if Mac's shipped with the latest and greatest like they used to, but that's no reason to hold off on buying the next Macbook Pro.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.