Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cmaier

Suspended
Jul 25, 2007
California
The new Intel's are fast indeed, but who needs this much power when most software can't even use it?

Those people whose software can use it. Which is a lot of people. Engineers, scientists, people who do rendering, people who work with large data sets, etc.

marksman

macrumors 603
Jun 4, 2007
I'm tired of waiting for the Pro line to be refreshed. As a first-time Mac buyer, I've been holding off on the purchase of a new MBP because of the "alleged" updates that are soon to come. First time, ever, I've been disciplined enough to actually save the amount I'll need to buy a big-ticket item, and go figure, I have to keep on waiting. Hopefully we'll see these new processors in all of the new hardware updates.

Don't worry.. I did the same thing about 3 years ago or so. Decided I wanted a MBP, and a refresh was imminent, and it seemed to be forever before I actually got one.

Your patience will likely be rewarded.

iMacmatician

macrumors 601
Jul 20, 2008
more cores means more threads. means your database server that runs 20,000,000 some commands a day will run better. there is also support for new low power memory. i haven't run the math, but you will probably see a big payback in electricity savings
According to Anandtech it can be a 10% reduction.

Master Chief

macrumors 6502a
Mar 5, 2009
Those people whose software can use it. Which is a lot of people. Engineers, scientists, people who do rendering, people who work with large data sets, etc.
Yeah I know that, but how many are that? And how many of them are using Mac Pro's and not any other brand... and I say this as engineer myself. I tell you nobody here is even interested in Apple, but we do have almost 74.000 HP, Dell and Sun workstations [world wide] yet we only have 2 Mac Pro's [the onces I am working with].

And I have budget for two more new Mac Pro's this year so bring it on Apple.

alent1234

macrumors 603
Jun 19, 2009
According to Anandtech it can be a 10% reduction.

i read that this morning. where was the 10% reduction? we're looking to replace 2 OLTP SQL servers which showed a huge performance gain due to more threads being worked on at the same time.

we're looking at dual x5650's, 72GB of low power RAM and some other goodies for 2 servers that will run in a cluster

cutthroughthebs

macrumors member
Feb 14, 2010
Yeah I know that, but how many are that? And how many of them are using Mac Pro's and not any other brand... and I say this as engineer myself. I tell you nobody here is even interested in Apple, but we do have almost 74.000 HP, Dell and Sun workstations [world wide] yet we only have 2 Mac Pro's [the onces I am working with].

Most if not all pro musicians use macs because they spend their time polishing and honing their music instead of dialing in the box. When you have issues @ work a simple image push is all that's needed to get going again... in a musicians position, they just want it to work so they can focus on their craft.

Master Chief

macrumors 6502a
Mar 5, 2009
Me. For no reason in particular. Next . . . . .
And you are not alone. Even I want one, but only because I can use the extra cores.

Most if not all pro musicians use macs because they spend their time polishing and honing their music instead of dialing in the box. When you have issues @ work a simple image push is all that's needed to get going again... in a musicians position, they just want it to work so they can focus on their craft.
I would love to see some official numbers, by Apple, to see what kind of people are using the Mac Pro... but I guess that we will have to guess, indefinitely, since Apple isn't likely to forward this info.

alent1234

macrumors 603
Jun 19, 2009

i thought Pro Tools had the most market share?

cvaldes

macrumors 68040
Dec 14, 2006
somewhere else
The new Intel's are fast indeed, but who needs this much power when most software can't even use it?
Consumer tasks that benefit from increased CPU performance are accumulating.

It's not unusual for consumers to edit large photos, edit 1080p HD footage, rip DVDs and audio CDs, etc. Many of these media-focused consumer applications can take advantage of multicore processors.

While admittedly most consumer applications can't, the fact of the matter is that a typical consumer will benefit at some moments from increased CPU performance.

I would love to see my DVD rips and HD movie renders be cut in half.

cmaier

Suspended
Jul 25, 2007
California

In certain industries MP's are huge (e.g. 3d animation, lots of university science departments, etc.) Several small chip design startups I know use MPs (because the only practical alternative is linux boxes or sun workstations).

FoxyKaye

macrumors 68000
Trust me I agree with you. People always see me as an Apple hater on here. I am not. I am just upset with the way Apple has moved. Computer are no longer what Apple does. Apple runs iTunes and the AppStore and its surrounding products. Everything else is secondary.

I think its safe to say though with the Mac Pro's it will be just like all the other models. So close to being amazing, yet so far.
You're not the only one who feels this way, trust me.

There's a minimal level of Fanboy/Fangirl-ism required for MR that really gets on my nerves after a while.

But the writing was on the wall when Apple ceased being a "Computer" company when it took that part of it's corporate name away, and instead became a "lifestyle" company.

xgman

macrumors 603
Aug 6, 2007
If Apple ends up abandoning the desktop market, they would do well to sell the OS to PC users who would probably buy it in droves if they made it compatible..

Mattie Num Nums

macrumors 68030
Mar 5, 2009
USA
If Apple ends up abandoning the desktop market, they would do well to sell the OS to PC users who would probably buy it in droves if they made it compatible..

Something tells me 10 years from now Apple's Desktop OS will be a thing of the past. Everything will be linked to the Appstore and Locked down.

alent1234

macrumors 603
Jun 19, 2009
Something tells me 10 years from now Apple's Desktop OS will be a thing of the past. Everything will be linked to the Appstore and Locked down.

then everyone will move on to something else. almost all the big tech people got their start on Mac's because you could play, tinker and hack on them unlike Windows.

lilo777

macrumors 603
Nov 25, 2009
In certain industries MP's are huge (e.g. 3d animation, lots of university science departments, etc.) Several small chip design startups I know use MPs (because the only practical alternative is linux boxes or sun workstations).

Apple in VLSI CAD? That's new to me. I thought VLSI CAD software was only available on Linux and (to a lesser degree) on Windows. HP-UX and SUN were big there once but this is the past. Do these companies run Windows on these MPs? Sounds like a waste of money.

doctor-don

macrumors 68000
Dec 26, 2008
Georgia USA
Consumer tasks that benefit from increased CPU performance are accumulating.

It's not unusual for consumers to edit large photos, edit 1080p HD footage, rip DVDs and audio CDs, etc. Many of these media-focused consumer applications can take advantage of multicore processors.

While admittedly most consumer applications can't, the fact of the matter is that a typical consumer will benefit at some moments from increased CPU performance.

I would love to see my DVD rips and HD movie renders be cut in half.

And my only complaint is that the photo editing software (Adobe) I would prefer to use is too expensive. I bought one set for my daughter in her college coursework, but I am unable to use it on my computer because of the restrictive licensing of Adobe.

And I don't see Apple abandoning Mac Pro since it does what we need it to do - and quickly.

cmaier

Suspended
Jul 25, 2007
California
Apple in VLSI CAD? That's new to me. I thought VLSI CAD software was only available on Linux and (to a lesser degree) on Windows. HP-UX and SUN were big there once but this is the past. Do these companies run Windows on these MPs? Sounds like a waste of money.

You are mistakenly assuming everyone runs Cadence or Avanti. Hell, even at AMD we ran mostly in-house software for everything except routing and spice.

cmaier

Suspended
Jul 25, 2007
California
Well if youre a chip maker, depending on your size you wouldnt always have the resources to make/acquire in-house software.

Ah. The big guys tend to be more conservative. Intel and AMD, though, have no choice to write a lot of their own software because the stuff you buy sucks. Startups often write a lot of their own stuff because they are cheap, or because they are doing something not anticipated by Avanti or Cadence.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.