Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cirus

macrumors 6502a
Mar 15, 2011
7th Generation CPU's - Pentium 4

8th Gen - Intel Core 2

9th Gen - Intel Core i3, Intel Core i5, Intel Core i7, AMD Phenom II...THEN, still in this generation, is Sandy Bridge.

Significant power gains does not automatically make it two generations. You can squabble all you want but I bet in 50 years when they are writing this history books on tech... They are going to follow this generational mode, not yours. Technically neither is wrong, it's a loose translation at this point.

The context of the guys remarks earlier made his statement sensational (and irrational as far as I'm concerned).

Ugh, how can you list phenom II in the same generation as Sandy Bridge, Did you see the benchmarks?

http://www.tomshardware.com/charts/...ance-SiSoftware-Sandra-2010-Pro-ALU,2408.html
http://www.tomshardware.com/charts/desktop-cpu-charts-2010/Cinebench-11.5-Multi-threaded,2407.html
http://www.tomshardware.com/charts/...ng-iTunes-9.0.3.15-wav-to-aac-Audio,2422.html
In those charts you see even pentium, core 2 duo, and core 2 quad beating of matching AMD phenom 2 processors (itunes encoding). Similar for the other benchmarks.
Intel beats AMD badly. The two are definitely not in the same class.

ratzzo

macrumors 6502a
Apr 20, 2011
Madrid
This possible option will continue to add to the portability and simplicity of the Air line, increased battery life, high as it was already, will blow other manufacturer's performance away. Ideal for a decent low demanding user, as clearly it won't be a powerhouse in comparison to, say, the MBPs.

kdimitt

macrumors member
Feb 28, 2009
Ugh, how can you list phenom II in the same generation as Sandy Bridge, Did you see the benchmarks?

http://www.tomshardware.com/charts/...ance-SiSoftware-Sandra-2010-Pro-ALU,2408.html
http://www.tomshardware.com/charts/desktop-cpu-charts-2010/Cinebench-11.5-Multi-threaded,2407.html
http://www.tomshardware.com/charts/...ng-iTunes-9.0.3.15-wav-to-aac-Audio,2422.html
In those charts you see even pentium, core 2 duo, and core 2 quad beating of matching AMD phenom 2 processors (itunes encoding). Similar for the other benchmarks.
Intel beats AMD badly. The two are definitely not in the same class.

Yes, they are. I don't care if they performed badly, If you have qualms with AMD, more power to ya. But their performance compared to Intel's processor has nothing to do with the generation. As the other user pointed out earlier, there is a difference between manufacturing generation and the microarchitectual generation.

Fishcake21

macrumors member
Feb 25, 2011
Pretty much its going to use the integrateds graphics, which is a good thing, benchmark wise it will probably lost a few frames, maybe up to 5-7 on open gl games, and probably more with directx when using bootcamp.

cleric

macrumors 6502a
Jun 7, 2008
youtube has a html5 version available for a very long time

Not ready for the prime time in my experience still buggy and there are many others Hulu also when an official version of VLC is out with hardware acceleration for Mac I know I'd rather have the 320M.

cirus

macrumors 6502a
Mar 15, 2011
Yes, they are. I don't care if they performed badly, If you have qualms with AMD, more power to ya. But their performance compared to Intel's processor has nothing to do with the generation. As the other user pointed out earlier, there is a difference between manufacturing generation and the microarchitectual generation.

Yes, but Intel is justified in calling them the next generation if they have such a performance gain compared to the older processors.

AidenShaw

macrumors P6
Feb 8, 2003
The Peninsula
gotta ask...

do you use comic sans because it brings a smile to anyone's face, no matter the context?

No, I use it because I like sans-serif fonts, and the numberals in Comic Sans are slightly taller than the letters - makes it easier to read mixed letter/number stuff.

kdimitt

macrumors member
Feb 28, 2009
Yes, but Intel is justified in calling them the next generation if they have such a performance gain compared to the older processors.

They can call them a new generation if they want! It doesn't matter! Are you reading what I say at all? Manufacturing generations and microarchitectural generations are different! From a historical technological point of view, it's not two generations. From Intel's, marketing/production's point of view, it's a new generation of processor. There is a difference, and because generation has no set meaning they call it that...Do you get it now?

Shanpdx

macrumors 68030
Sep 24, 2008
Blazer town!
It's possible depending on how far Apple takes the supposed 2012 Macbook Pro redesign -- especially in the 13" model.

I was referring to the white macbook, MBP 13" can be considered also.

what is the hold up with white macbook? even the 13" MBP slapped with intel IGP.

WWDC upgrades/announcements? or apple is already moving in 15Watts middle ground like the Intel future road map?

from what i heard, Intel is at lest two generations away on better IGP (I know is is more or less equal to nVidia 320M, it is ok for now but in 12 to 18 months)

Intel IGP is under clocked once you go below 35 watts

fmaxwell

Nov 27, 2008
For when you want a computer that's only slightly faster than your cell phone. 1.2Ghz dual core Samsung Galaxy S II anyone?

1. Your level of ignorance is astounding. You're completely, and totally, wrong.

2. The average smartphone has more computing power than 90% of the public needs, so even if your statement were true, it would not make the MacBook Air with those new CPUs undesirable. If you weren't trying to use your computer's clock speed to compensate for your undersized *****, you would realize that what people actually need is long battery life, a good quality screen, nice keyboard, and responsive trackpad.

3. It's a laptop for grown-ups, not game console for tweens who want a portable version of a Playstation 3.

Grow up.

fmaxwell

Nov 27, 2008
My goods do not represent my social persona. I do not interact in society based on the goods I own.

Yes, you do. Show up at an important meeting wearing overalls and sporting a pink Acer netbook and tell me that the goods you own (the overalls and the pink Acer netbook) didn't affect your social interactions.

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
Do we consider Penryn a generation? :rolleyes:

No. Penryn was a die shrink. However, Nehalem was a new microarchitecture, as is Sandy Bridge. That both Nehalem and Sandy Bridge are called Core i3/i5/i7 is purely a marketing decision by Intel. They still use the Celeron name for some of their chips, even though they are based on Nehalem. Does that mean that a "Celeron" from 2002 is the "same generation" as a Celeron in a budget desktop today? Of course not.

gitome99

macrumors newbie
May 22, 2011
thank you!
It's probably going to lose the nVidia 320M, however, so I'm not sure it's all good for games

Shanpdx

macrumors 68030
Sep 24, 2008
Blazer town!
No. Penryn was a die shrink. However, Nehalem was a new microarchitecture, as is Sandy Bridge. That both Nehalem and Sandy Bridge are called Core i3/i5/i7 is purely a marketing decision by Intel. They still use the Celeron name for some of their chips, even though they are based on Nehalem. Does that mean that a "Celeron" from 2002 is the "same generation" as a Celeron in a budget desktop today? Of course not.

Sandy Bridge also die shrink (45nm to 32nm) right? :confused:

2nd Gen parts has 2 in front like i5 2410 (Sandy Bridge).

tick tock tick tock ...

Last edited:

KnightWRX

macrumors Pentium
Jan 28, 2009
Quebec, Canada
Yes, you do. Show up at an important meeting wearing overalls and sporting a pink Acer netbook and tell me that the goods you own (the overalls and the pink Acer netbook) didn't affect your social interactions.

I always show up to meetings at my workplace, even the important ones, in jeans (25$ jeans, not branded) and a t-shirt (all my t-shirts come from the 9$ rack). I never bring a laptop, I just take mental notes.

So I don't really see your point.

You do realise not everyone places as much importance in physical goods that you seem to right ?

flopticalcube

macrumors G4

He was being sarcastic, hence the eye roll at the end.

Sandy Bridge also die shrink (45nm to 32nm) right? :confused:

2nd Gen parts has 2 in front like i5 2410 (Sandy Bridge).

tick tock tick tock ...

Ivy Bridge is the die shrink of Sandy Bridge ... to 22nm. Sandy Bridge adopted the Westmere die shrink from Nehalem of 32nm.

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
thank you!
It's probably going to lose the nVidia 320M, however, so I'm not sure it's all good for games

There's no "probably" about it. NVIDIA isn't licensed to pair the 320m with any chip past the Core 2 Duo. The next MacBook Air will have Sandy Bridge and the HD 3000 integrated graphics chip.

jonnysods

macrumors G3
Sep 20, 2006
There & Back Again
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Mobile/8J2)

Man, it's a toss up between this new MBA and the current 13" mbp. I'm going to have to choose the mbp, just because of hard drive space (I need 600gb). I hate the optical drive, love the screen rez on the MBA....

Sigh. If the mbp didn't have such a low rez I wouldn't have any hesitation pulling the trigger. I will anyways, but I'm sad it's not a bto

natethomas1

macrumors newbie
Feb 14, 2011
I always show up to meetings at my workplace, even the important ones, in jeans (25$ jeans, not branded) and a t-shirt (all my t-shirts come from the 9$ rack). I never bring a laptop, I just take mental notes.

So I don't really see your point.

You do realise not everyone places as much importance in physical goods that you seem to right ?

That's pretty inaccurate. Literally everyone makes snap decisions based on the physical evidence presented to them. For example, when we are driving and we see red octagons on the side of the road, we will invariably assume those are stop signs, regardless of the words written on them. Likewise, if a person shows up to a multi-million dollar business meeting in jean cut-offs and a sleeveless shirt, EVERYONE else at the table will have certain automatic responses to the visual data. The human mind has been trained to work like this since we came down from the trees and had to start dealing with predators.

Of course, people can and will correct their initial snap judgments, but A) not all the time, and B) even after correction, those snap judgments tend to color future behavior.

Um. Also, I really want the upcoming refresh of the Air. Take my gpu and give me cpu. I'll deal with it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.