Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

inkswamp

macrumors 68030
Jan 26, 2003
I was hoping Apple would eventually make a TableTop Surface Computer...like an iOS touchscreen device on the scale of a 27" iMac or something, but Steve Jobs was already against this and I think Cook and Co. have adopted the same no-go on super-large touchscreen devices...

I doubt Jobs and Cook were against it per se but probably a bit gun shy given that Apple has a lousy track record creating products specifically geared toward industry and enterprise. They've just never had any traction in that area (look no further than their efforts with servers.) Apple has always done its best work when catering to consumers. Why there's any surprise that they aren't creating a table-sized iPad for use in business and other non-consumer areas is beyond me. It's just not their thing and never has been.

EwanMcTeagle

macrumors 6502
Mar 26, 2012
Lodz, Poland
Surface Pro 3 is definitely an improvement over the 2, but getting $1 billion is still 5 times less than what Apple made from iPads, so I don't think they're panicking at Cupertino yet. Nevertheless I agree that Apple should, or rather, could make a presence in the Surface segment. They would be late to the party just as they were with bigger phones, but they could always say that at least they "got it right". I'm just afraid that they won't. iPhone 6 and 6+ are really great phones, my 6 is the best iPhone I've ever had, but it doesn't have one feature that would justify its screen size, even one that would let Apple say: "Ok, we were late, but it's because we wanted to get it right and not just blow up the screen". But they didn't. If they had at least given a landscape mode in the 6 then it would've been something, but they limited it to the 6+, making the iPhone 6 just a bigger iPhone. But no…
There's no multitasking, no split screen, no new gestures that would utilise the bigger screen. iOS i starting to look a bit stale compared to Android in my opinion - sure, the Android doesn't feel as polished as iOS (even with the Lollipop), but at least it's trying something new, like the 360 mode in the camera app (and that has been already there in KitKat I think). It's a trick, but a really neat one just like the panorama. I don’t want widgets or being able to arrange icons randomly -these are the least of my worries/needs. But since my iPhone has a 4,7 screen and it can display more info in Safari and have more functions available right away in the keyboard, why can’t I have a split screen, so that I could reference a Pages document when writing an email? Really Apple, what’s wrong with that? Its not elegant enough or what?:)
Anyways, to make the iPad Pro work, Apple needs to use their brains and come up with something really good. Adding more rows of icons isn’t it. 2-in-1 products that combine laptops with tablets are tricky. All those Windows based Yogas etc that I’ve tried (at least when checking them out in stores) have felt very, very awkward and forced. The same was true for the Surface line. Even Surface 3 looks a bit weird and even the reviews say that the build and ergonomics aren’t that great. Plus it costs a lot and you still have to pay an additional fee for the keyboard, which all in all doesn’t seem like a good deal to me. So it’s not a brilliant tablet, nor a brilliant laptop. And in Apple’s case it would have to be both. Otherwise, what’s the point?
But if they just make a bigger iPad, then it’s really laughable.

rowspaxe

macrumors 68020
Jan 29, 2010
Surface Pro 3 is definitely an improvement over the 2, but getting $1 billion is still 5 times less than what Apple made from iPads, so I don't think they're panicking at Cupertino yet..

I dont think Apple is panicked by the sp3, but they may be seeing a market opening for that form factor with a daul os.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
i don't get why anyone would want OS X on a tablet. Beef up iOS, don't bring OS X to a tablet.

michaelhunter

macrumors member
Nov 29, 2012
Sydney, Australia
Apple should just be done with it and offer a CTO option, so you can choose the exact amount of inches you want.

Although, come to think of it, it would've been nice if we could do that at birth... :(

rudychidiac

Suspended
May 2, 2012
Lebanon
Honest question: what good does a bigger screen do? Who thinks 9.7" is too small?

I personally would love a bigger iPad, I use iPad mainly for digital painting, i do serious work on it. I decided to use iPad and Procreate over my wacom tablet and Photoshop.

RTony

macrumors member
Sep 13, 2014
I really hope it's not just an upscaled version of the iPad and has some cool feature to it. I honestly wouldn't mind some sort of attachable keyboard...

Microsoft Surface 3 is exactly what I'd love the new iPad to be.

Piggie

macrumors G3
Feb 23, 2010
i don't get why anyone would want OS X on a tablet. Beef up iOS, don't bring OS X to a tablet.

But what "IS" a laptop?

Esp something like the Macbook Air.

It's basically just a Tablet with a keyboard permanently attached.

So you can have a Tablet with a keyboard you can detach when you need it.

Why duplicate items when both items are the same thing, other than they keyboard is either permanently or temporarily attached?

The only reason the two devices need to exist as separate items is that the Tablet does not have the power of the Laptop.

So what do you do when the tablet DOES have the power of the laptop?

Once that is out of the way, there really is no justification to have two devices any more.

mi7chy

macrumors G4
Oct 24, 2014
10" is ok for consumption but too small for productivity and creativity where 12"+ is more suitable.

For productivity and creativity Mac OS X is better than iOS.

Intel Broadwell Core M can power Mac OS X and is fanless so a MacPad Air running Mac OS X will likely appear. Since Apple is accessory focused it'll have official options for book cover type keyboard with touch pad and perhaps even stylus.

A larger iPad, if it appears at all, will likely be limited to bigger size only so it doesn't compete and to keep the price more competitive.

Max(IT)

Suspended
Dec 8, 2009
Italy
With all due respect, Microsoft's Windows10 approach is very impressive... maybe Apple can learn one or two things from Microsoft...

Android.... Now Microsoft... Could you tell me the real reason of your presence in this forum if everyone else is better than Apple ?
I have an answer, but I can't tell you or I' would be banned :D

No, Apple has nothing to learn from Microsoft. Windows 10 doesn't exist yet. And I don't want anything like that on my Mac.
But feel free to discuss about how cool Windows is on one of the several Microsoft based forums out there.

Last edited:

SactoGuy18

macrumors 601
Sep 11, 2006
Sacramento, CA USA
My guess: the 12+ inch iPad will reach dealers around April 2015. And it will sport as much as 3 GB of RAM, because it uses a bigger-sized variant of the A8 system on a chip (SoC).

nando87

Cancelled
Jun 25, 2014
Android.... Now Microsoft... Could you tell me the real reason of your presence in this forum if everyone else is better than Apple ?
I have an answer, but I can't tell you or I' would be banned :D

No, Apple has nothing to learn from Microsoft. Windows 10 doesn't exist yet. And I don't want anything like that on my Mac.
But feel free to discuss about how cool Windows is on one of the several Microsoft based forums out there.

Oh man, Apple has a lot to learn about desktop OS and professional software from Microsoft. I mean, a LOT.

icanhazapple

macrumors 6502a
Feb 26, 2009
Oh man, Apple has a lot to learn about desktop OS and professional software from Microsoft. I mean, a LOT.

agreed - many people may not prefer Windows look/style, but they are an enterprise OS company; good kernel/hardware support and performance. Win8 was a UI mistake, but all the people responsible for that have either voluntarily left, or have been asked to leave ;)

Xenomorph

macrumors 65816
Aug 6, 2008
St. Louis

People want a "full" OS on a tablet.

That's what the Surface Pro 3 has going for it.

Windows "apps" are terrible. Real Windows programs and applications have been industry-leading for decades. Windows "tablets" are mostly junk, but a "real" Windows computer in tablet form (Surface Pro 3) has been somewhat of a success.

There's a lot of stuff one could do on a real OS X installation that isn't so easy on iOS.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.