Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Max(IT)

Suspended
Dec 8, 2009
Italy
I think that's exactly nando87's point.

You can easily find hundreds of complaining about incompatibilities and drivers issue on Windows based forums.....

----------

Such blind fanboy ignorance. There is so much Apple could add to the iPad from the surface, multi tasking, pen support, kick stand, keyboard just for starters.

iOS on the iPad is a joke, if not for third party apps taking advantage of the 9.7" screen the iPad would be nothing but a blown up iPod Touch if apple were left alone

Kick stand ? Keyboard ? Give me a break.....
I'm glad Apple doesn't think they have to mess up things on their tablet like the "successful" Surface... :rolleyes:

Renzatic

Suspended
Kick stand ? Keyboard ? Give me a break.....
I'm glad Apple doesn't think they have to mess up things on their tablet like the "successful" Surface... :rolleyes:

It's like Apple doesn't support their bluetooth keyboard on the iPad, or made their Smart Cover double as a stand.

I flat out do not understand all the complaining about the kickstand on the Surfaces. It's a good idea, done well. It's there when you need it, and all but disappears when you don't.

michaelmccain

macrumors newbie
Sep 21, 2012
Honest question: what good does a bigger screen do? Who thinks 9.7" is too small?

For me... I could use it in the classroom when I teach to project my lessons. The current size is to small for me to lecture on. I have tried it... but there's just not enough room to lecture on.

name99

macrumors 68020
Jun 21, 2004
Honest question: what good does a bigger screen do? Who thinks 9.7" is too small?

People who are older and want an eBook reader where everything looks bigger. (Just like the iPhone 6S offers a scaled-up mode where everything is bigger...)
People who use their iPads to read legal documents (which, for god knows what reason are always formatted to legal size not letter size).
People who use their iPads for various sorts of professional work (eg reading blueprints, examining commercial photos).

The fact that an iPad is portable does not mean that that level of portability should be its DEFINING feature. Why not ask what could be done with the same OS+apps if you're willing to give up a little of that portability?

----------

Interesting article I saw today showing the A8x may already have a challenger..

http://www.slashgear.com/nvidia-tegra-x1-benchmarks-put-apple-a8x-on-notice-05361880/

Don't you love a bit of competition :)

(a) You do realize that the A8X shipped last year, and god knows when the Tegra X1 will ship.
If we're going to play that game, you know what's even BETTER than a Tegra X1? The A10X. Man, you would not believe how cool that chip is...

(b) X1 are pushing their GPU because that's where their strength is; the CPU is a standard A57, and we already know that's less impressive than an A8X. If you're a gamer, fine, buy an X1. But Apple are more concerned with balanced performance than with being the number one game engine. X1 and A8X are simply competing for completely different TYPES of markets.
X1 may well be an awesome product for the sorts of things nV is advertising (eg various sorts of vision applications). That doesn't necessarily translate into being an awesome chip for general purpose phones, tablets, or even Chromebook type devices.

BvizioN

macrumors 603
Mar 16, 2012
Manchester, UK
Web browsing... Great, we can see more ads! Once the width is comparable to an 7-8" column of text, the advantages are limited. Same goes for email.

Video/Games... Big is beautiful for video, but the interface challenges on games seems like a challenge.

Point remains: why is it worth more money? It needs to do something another device cannot do effectively, not just marginally better.

I think we can see more content. More lines of writings, more photos, bigger maps, etc. Ads? There is away to block them for some people.

Interface challenges on video games are not users problems, rather developers problems (even though not sure what kind of challenges are you on about)

Yes, as it have clearly been proven by the record sales on these 2 large screen iPhone 6, it is worth the money. Trust me, if people weren't willing to pay some extra money for the larger screens, they would have gone for a cheaper option of the screen size they wanted.

And my point was, it's not simply an extra row of icons as some people (including yourself) believe.

Digital Skunk

macrumors G3
Dec 23, 2006
In my imagination
"its not a tablet if you cant hold it in one hand" crowd sleeping in today.

Really interestedto see how --or if--Apple deals with the keyboard, kickstand, pen issues.

This is only true if you really think about how insane people must be to believe that something isn't something if you can't hold it with one hand.

So we have to hold our phones with one hand or it's not useable, and we have to hold our 9.7" tablets with one hand or they aren't tablet?

I hear you on the size thing, though, i just think the concept of holding it in a hand is overrated -- except for phones, but I can hold a Note 4 and iP6+ in one hand and use it one handed just fine.

Then again .... I can hold and use an iPad Mini one handed and use it just fine too. Only the iPad Air I have a problem with, and I think it's too big to be portable.

With that written, I will add that a larger iPad Pro would be nice and I'd also love to see how Apple handles productivity, which they are sorely lacking in when it comes to iOS.

The Dev space picks up a lot of the slack, but it seems they have a hard time conceptualizing apps for screens larger than 4.7". In most cases they just make things bigger.

randlsa

macrumors newbie
Nov 8, 2013
Ipad Pro is Apple's bridge product

"its not a tablet if you cant hold it in one hand" crowd sleeping in today.

Really interestedto see how --or if--Apple deals with the keyboard, kickstand, pen issues.

If this is just an iPad Air 2+, it won't be a big deal. If they bump performance to compete with notebooks, it could be a very big deal. They could add a second graphics processor, more RAM and some unique OS interface elements, along with the kickstand and keyboard you mention, this would destroy the MS surface pro.
I have been wondering how long it would take for Apple to add touch to their notebook products, but I think this is their answer. Don't think of this as a tablet, think of it as a clean execution of a convertible laptop that doesn't have keys exposed under the screen, like Lenovo Yoga Pro, etc. Since Apple is very particular about design, they wouldn't want a compromised tablet experience, so it can stand alone too. The keyboard will be key here. Expect a new Apple case with integrated keyboard and stand that will follow their design language. It will have to be better than the Surface Pro, which is pretty sweet as far as the keyboard solution goes.

rowspaxe

macrumors 68020
Jan 29, 2010
It will have to be better than the Surface Pro, which is pretty sweet as far as the keyboard solution goes.

MS made so many good calls on the surface pro--its kind of shocking :eek:. They have some refinement to do--but its a very nice form factor

RTony

macrumors member
Sep 13, 2014
MS made so many good calls on the surface pro--its kind of shocking :eek:. They have some refinement to do--but its a very nice form factor

I wish Apple adopted surface idea before Microsoft did. I can see myself abandoning my MacBook for a surface and just a have a mac pro or iMac at home for power heavy processing. Also, I wish Microsoft took its customers and production more serious. I purchased the first surface and was so disappointed, I was angry. Good idea and marketing, but terrible execution.

Surface 3 on the other hand is perfect. Almost.

Keirasplace

macrumors 601
Aug 6, 2014
Montreal
I wish Apple adopted surface idea before Microsoft did. I can see myself abandoning my MacBook for a surface and just a have a mac pro or iMac at home for power heavy processing. Also, I wish Microsoft took its customers and production more serious. I purchased the first surface and was so disappointed, I was angry. Good idea and marketing, but terrible execution.

Surface 3 on the other hand is perfect. Almost.

They've lost billions on it till now. So, maybe it was better for Apple to wait a while...

JPIndustrie

macrumors 6502a
Mar 12, 2008
Queens, NY
How much do you think this would come in for?

Would Apple surprise everyone and knock down the 'standard' iPad 9.7" to $299/399 and have the 'plus' take over the $499 tag?

Or would these compete with Surface Pro's @ $699/799+?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.