Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jays83

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 1, 2016
I have an iMac 27" (late 2009 version 11,1) and is had been working just fine. After the hdd went bad I installed a new one and installed El Capitan without any problem. But after I tried to use icloud services it wont work. After some digging it turned out that the serial number is not the same as the bottom of the computer. I found out that the logic board was changed some years ago and they must have entered wrong serial on the new one.

Is there any way I can change it or somehow trick the system so I can use icloud services?

FreemanW

macrumors 6502
Sep 10, 2012
The Real Northern California
Contact AppleCare.

THIS.

Whomever serviced this unit, replaced the logic board? Yeah, they fornicated the K-9, badly. Any Apple Authorized Service Provider has software that interrogates the unit and displays the serial number. It also provides a register or enter for the serial number.

My late 2012 displayed "Unavailable" for serial number immediately prior to having the hdd replaced on the recall. The Service Provider connected my unit on intake and I observed as they entered the correct S/N.

Among the one thing they did correctly, two guys did the deed. One read back the S/N to the other one as the other one was viewing the screen.

Good luck

bogg

macrumors 6502
Apr 12, 2005
Sweden
I have an iMac 27" (late 2009 version 11,1) and is had been working just fine. After the hdd went bad I installed a new one and installed El Capitan without any problem. But after I tried to use icloud services it wont work. After some digging it turned out that the serial number is not the same as the bottom of the computer. I found out that the logic board was changed some years ago and they must have entered wrong serial on the new one.

Is there any way I can change it or somehow trick the system so I can use icloud services?

in the system info does it show a serial? If it is unavailable or blank there they could have missed setting a serial altogether. If that is the case you should be able to use the following guide: http://rogersm.net/icloud-problems-mountain-lion-serial-number

If it is in fact set but wrong, contact Apple as that is your best hope

jays83

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 1, 2016
Contact AppleCare.
in the system info does it show a serial? If it is unavailable or blank there they could have missed setting a serial altogether. If that is the case you should be able to use the following guide: http://rogersm.net/icloud-problems-mountain-lion-serial-number

If it is in fact set but wrong, contact Apple as that is your best hope

Yeah, it has a new serial thats not valid. I've contacted the company who did the service. The problem is that the computer is old but the service itself was made during the the first two years. They looking into a solution here. They must have added totally wrong serial.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.