Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

garirry

macrumors 68000
Apr 27, 2013
Canada is my city
If they allowed that, it would detract from simple and efficient support calls. A known (minimum) quantity feature set is required, so that on tech support you can be told "Open X app, and tap..." - if "X app" has been removed on a device, that introduces a layer of unnecessary complexity to the situation.

Known quantities are why Apple devices are so simple to to operate and support.
Yes, but you have to do one or the other: either you bloat the device but you let people remove anything they don't want, either you don't bloat the device and only force apps that are necessary.

uid15

Suspended
Mar 9, 2015
Yes, but you have to do one or the other: either you bloat the device but you let people remove anything they don't want, either you don't bloat the device and only force apps that are necessary.
Well they evidently see the apps that are present and unremovable, AS necessary. Simple. It's hardly "bloat" - I can't say I have EVER concerned myself about Apple apps that are not removable, nor have I bothered to try to remove them... they're just... there... and unused, and unless you have OCD, who cares!

Reactions: Tommyt74 and chabig

garirry

macrumors 68000
Apr 27, 2013
Canada is my city
Well they evidently see the apps that are present and unremovable, AS necessary. Simple. It's hardly "bloat" - I can't say I have EVER concerned myself about Apple apps that are not removable, nor have I bothered to try to remove them... they're just... there... and unused, and unless you have OCD, who cares!
Yeah, well I kinda have OCD so thanks for the respectful comment :rolleyes:

PBRsg

macrumors 6502
Aug 12, 2014
Good. I was wondering if Apple ever planned to show us what we're supposed to do with HomeKit.

It's probably designed to unify all your Homekit devices in on app, otherwise you will have a separate app for each type of device.

tomi03

Suspended
Dec 8, 2015
Genève. Suisse
HomeKit should be optional or a free app like the apps apple give to you when you buy an iPhone/iPad (Pages, Garage Band, etc), why should I get/have something I don't want/use?

Some of you are discussing and attacking others because they have 16g, but instead of that Why don't you blame apple for that? You guys attack Android users with the same about useless apps, but iOS users have these too (compass, podcast, tips, stocks etc). Tbh I don't want HomeKit, it's useless I don't need an app for my house, I need a battery to stay in communication with my family and friends when I need it

Reactions: ardchoille50

ardchoille50

macrumors 68020
Feb 6, 2014
Some of you are discussing and attacking others because they have 16g, but instead of that Why don't you blame apple for that?
It's a psychological problem known as "double standard" and often accompanied by denial. Therapy is recommended but those who are afflicted are often unwilling to admit the need for such intervention.

MH01

Suspended
Feb 11, 2008
Do these apps really take up that much space on a phone. Stick them in a folder and then you never have to look at them. :rolleyes:

Size is not the concern for me, I used to laugh how much bloated apps there were on android when I was using the early versions of iPhone, and how the iPhone experience was refined and simplistic , fast forward, need a folder now just like android , to hide stuff....
[doublepost=1462599145][/doublepost]Had a chat with someone on the weekend who used a number of the HomeKit accessories, it's interesting stuff, a bit gimmicky but cool for those of use that love thier gadgets
[doublepost=1462599494][/doublepost]
If they allowed that, it would detract from simple and efficient support calls. A known (minimum) quantity feature set is required, so that on tech support you can be told "Open X app, and tap..." - if "X app" has been removed on a device, that introduces a layer of unnecessary complexity to the situation.

Known quantities are why Apple devices are so simple to to operate and support.

What.....??. Adding bloatware has in no way made operation of iPhone simpler. And there is zero impact for support purposes for apps you will never use. On the contrary, if these apps were to impact support, having them there does the opposite.

Keirasplace

macrumors 601
Aug 6, 2014
Montreal
HomeKit:
standards.png

It's an app, not sure what you're getting at. Apple provides Photo Apps, did they break the jpg standard by doing so?

John Mcgregor

Suspended
Aug 21, 2015
Newport
"there is an app for that" more and more looks like bad design. Things like Apple TV remote and HomeKit should be integrated into OS in a way that there is o need for an app. Now that would be some serious statement in software design.

speedlimiter

macrumors member
Aug 6, 2014
Best universal HomeKit app in the App Store for me so far is Hesperus (https://appsto.re/de/CCXX5.i).

Advantage over Home is that lights can be directly switched on/ off by tapping on it. It also has nice 3D Touch integration within the app.

As HomeKit already has Siri integration, what could an app made by Apple do better than 3rd party apps?

Last edited:

bushido

Suspended
Mar 26, 2008
Germany
great, another useless App they will show off for 20 minutes during the keynote.

looks like "Nope" is getting a new sibling

Attachments

• image.png
    image.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 166

Keirasplace

macrumors 601
Aug 6, 2014
Montreal
HomeKit should be optional or a free app like the apps apple give to you when you buy an iPhone/iPad (Pages, Garage Band, etc), why should I get/have something I don't want/use?

Some of you are discussing and attacking others because they have 16g, but instead of that Why don't you blame apple for that? You guys attack Android users with the same about useless apps, but iOS users have these too (compass, podcast, tips, stocks etc). Tbh I don't want HomeKit, it's useless I don't need an app for my house, I need a battery to stay in communication with my family and friends when I need it

Those Apps take very little space, all of them together, they're just front ends for existing back-end services that you can't remove even if Apple allowed people to download the app (like control panels in windows). Many software parts are likely also reused.

I got 2 16GB Phones, the 6s and 3GS.

modeyabsolom

macrumors member
Apr 6, 2016
I don't know...maybe if Apple had offered a good comprehensive control app from the beginning the popularity and adoption rate of HomeKit would of been better.

MisterK

macrumors 6502a
Jan 9, 2006
Ottawa, Canada
I'd love to see a more cohesive vision for what Apple imagines is the best case scenarios for smart homes. I have a bunch of Philips Hue light bulbs, and I've seen other gadgets (smart locks, cameras, etc) but it's all a bit piecemeal right now. I'd love to see an inspiring and elegant story or ad that made me want to continue with this "smartifying". Part of me wants to do it but it feels like it's introducing friction rather than removing it and that would be ok, I suppose, if it felt more delightful.

Pupi

macrumors 6502
Apr 12, 2015
It would be nice if there was a menu in settings from where you can enable/disable (some) Apple apps, deleting all the unnecessary resources. When you want to make it show up again, it just downloads them (wifi only or not, according to your settings). But this would be simply attached to your OS installation and not have anything to do with the app store.

LovingTeddy

Suspended
Oct 12, 2015
Canada
Which Android phones comes with a complete installation at less than 1GB?

That's it! None...

What is the usable space with 16GB? It is 11.9GB... What is 16-11.9? It is 4.1GB... Even if you factoring in the difference between bytes and bits, iOS still takes way more than 1GB...So what is your point?

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.