Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

LovingTeddy

Suspended
Oct 12, 2015
Canada
Well they evidently see the apps that are present and unremovable, AS necessary. Simple. It's hardly "bloat" - I can't say I have EVER concerned myself about Apple apps that are not removable, nor have I bothered to try to remove them... they're just... there... and unused, and unless you have OCD, who cares!

Yet, people in this forum complains about bloat on Android.

When it comes to Apple it is not bloat, when it comes to Android, it is the bloat. Apple is always great and Android OEMs are always evil.

Tech198

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2011
I see whats going on here ..

Apple moves more built in features to stand-alone apps, then they "limit" how much of these default apps you can also remove at the same time... so it still wouldn't please users.

Kill two birds with one stone eh' Tim ? *Disclaimer (talking fast): no animals were harmed during this post*

Last edited:

Suspended
Dec 6, 2012
This is a rumor that I hope is true. HomeKit has been languishing since it came out. Although some products support HomeKit, it has been very difficult for me to see any level of cohesiveness across the differnent platforms. I purchased Hue lights before HomeKit and then stopped once I realized the mess that this was going to be with multiple vendors and multiple bridges and multiple apps to control anything. If Apple finally deploys an app that can speak to HomeKit enabled products that will be a huge step. Anther huge step will be a unified bridge or the elimination of bridges in the network.

djcerla

macrumors 68020
Apr 23, 2015
Italy
HomeKit:
standards.png

Pretty much the opposite of this.
[doublepost=1462629617][/doublepost]It's been hinted that non essential apps will be free to delete soon.

Also: how do you know it's a pre-installed app? You don't know so quit the whine.

Jakexb

macrumors 6502a
Mar 18, 2014
Here's hoping Apple releases something that is similar to the Echo. Always on, lives in a particular room, excellent microphones for quickly picking up "hey Siri"

That would be the perfect HomeKit controller.

What happens now when you have a guest over and everything is controllable only through your iPhone?

Or you can't turn things off because your phone is in the other room?

Your house doesn't move, so it seems there should be a stationary controller. I wish the Apple TV had worked this way instead of the Siri Remote

shareef777

Suspended
Jul 26, 2005
Chicago, IL
$5 says not a single home kit enabled device today will be compatible. If my devices don't work with the new app, I'm abandoning home kit all together.

MacGizmo

macrumors 68040
Apr 27, 2003
Arizona
There's never a shortage of people who need to S.T.F.U. already... the constant whining about hiding or deleting apps is not only annoying, but pointless.

If Apple was going to allow you to delete what they consider core apps, you would already be able to do it.

macdiverone

macrumors newbie
May 11, 2015
HomeKit works?

Really?

Have about 25 Devices (Elagto, Hue) - they "work" or don't on surprise based rules which I cannot predict nor enforce.

Once in 6 month surprisingly I got them working from remote. But this behave disappeared sooner as it came.

Lasted less than 30 minutes. Got that experience never again. Nothing changed before, nothing after.

Automagically. Way to go, Apple!

JoeCompenge

macrumors newbie
May 7, 2016
I hope that wasn't a real Apple employee or they're going to have a really awkward conversation with their boss come Monday.
"Step into my office."
"Why?"
"Cause you're f**kin' fired!"

kingtj

macrumors 68030
Oct 23, 2003
Brunswick, MD
Sadly, that was the first thing that went through my head too.

Realistically though? How stupid if Apple does that. There was absolutely *nothing* specific leaked out here. The very general statement that Apple will do their own HomeKit app in the next iOS is something one would almost assume, or at least hope/expect - since Apple created the whole standard and neglected to provide any of their own software to work with it!

Someone's getting fired.

MLVC

macrumors demi-god
Apr 30, 2015
Maastricht, The Netherlands
Hue works fine for me, never fails. I've yet to try other HomeKit products.

I do wonder why most of the posts here always have to be negative, regardless of the topic. Sometimes I feel I'm on an Android forum instead of an Apple one. Thus I read less and less. Shame really.

Tommyt74

macrumors newbie
Jan 5, 2016
Not pointless for me as I own several HomeKit enabled products and really would love more hands on control in a single unified experience, so I really look forward to using this app. Bring it on Apple! The icon is looking good too.
Concur, we need one app to control everything.

PotatoLeekSoup

macrumors regular
May 10, 2015
Texas
Great... One other pointless app that fills up 16GB iPhone. Good job Apple, amount of bloated app is catching up Android phone.

Think of the base 16GB iPhone as the scaled-down option. The real "base" iPhone is the 64GB model, which costs more than the scaled-down option. I don't get the complaints about small storage. If you want more, choose that option; if you want less, choose that other option. Non-existent problem is solved.

AbSoluTc

Suspended
Sep 21, 2008
Really looking forward to this. I have HUE and iDevices outlet and having different apps isn't bad but its not intuitive. One app that would work across the board and make everything cohesive would be ideal.

I also am looking forward to a more powerful HomeKit. It's not bad now but it could be way better. One hub would be nice.

Zirel

Suspended
Jul 24, 2015
What is the usable space with 16GB? It is 11.9GB... What is 16-11.9? It is 4.1GB... Even if you factoring in the difference between bytes and bits, iOS still takes way more than 1GB...So what is your point?

Oh gosh!

16GB is 16 billion bytes, which is 14.9GB, it's industry standard. Those 14.9GB have to be NTFS formatted, and some space reserved for filesystem metadata.
[doublepost=1462662239][/doublepost]
It's an app, not sure what you're getting at. Apple provides Photo Apps, did they break the jpg standard by doing so?

It's not only an App, it's a protocol.

And it's the best protocol. Because Apple designed a competent standard, but they don't make appliances for that, so anybody can come in.

Samsung also has a standard, but only works with their appliances, and it has bad security.
Google is also making a standard (not entirely ready), but they also have Nest.

uid15

Suspended
Mar 9, 2015
Yet, people in this forum complains about bloat on Android.

When it comes to Apple it is not bloat, when it comes to Android, it is the bloat. Apple is always great and Android OEMs are always evil.

Android has ZERO consistency or uniformity. I'll take a TINY handful of unused apps and a platform which knows where it's at, thanks all the same.

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
I guess it's just as well that Apple officially announces their foray into the home automation market. Given all the recent news about the lack of security and lack of support and poor interoperability, if it's one company who can get it done right, it's Apple.

LovingTeddy

Suspended
Oct 12, 2015
Canada
[QOUTE]

Oh gosh!

16GB is 16 billion bytes, which is 14.9GB, it's industry standard. Those 14.9GB have to be NTFS formatted, and some space reserved for filesystem metadata.[/QUOTE]

I believe I motioned difference between byte and bit. 11.9 out of 14.9GB, iOS itself takes 3GB of data.

The iOS 9.3.1 ipsw file takes 1.9GB and it is being compressed.

Now you tell me which iOS installation comes below 1GB?

And iOS does not use NTFS file format. Just in case you don't know.

canadianreader

macrumors 65816
Sep 24, 2014
Apple take a lesson from android where you can disable an app so you don't see it in the drawer or home screen if one cannot delete it because it is system or essential app. My suggestion is when an app is disabled is at the same time compressed so it doesn't take space.

RogerWilco

macrumors 6502a
Jul 29, 2011
Here's hoping Apple releases something that is similar to the Echo. Always on, lives in a particular room, excellent microphones for quickly picking up "hey Siri"

That would be the perfect HomeKit controller.

What happens now when you have a guest over and everything is controllable only through your iPhone?

Or you can't turn things off because your phone is in the other room?

Your house doesn't move, so it seems there should be a stationary controller. I wish the Apple TV had worked this way instead of the Siri Remote
The stationary controller is called a wall switch. Simple, user-friendly, equally accessible to owners and guests. Modern versions can be programmed to add nuances and features, even HK control. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.