Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

homekitapp.jpg
A unified, Apple-designed HomeKit app has been desired by HomeKit users since HomeKit first debuted, and it appears Apple is planning to introduce such an app in the near future, perhaps in iOS 10.

The hint on Apple's HomeKit plans comes from an Amazon reviewer who works in the marketing department at Apple. The name of the reviewer coincides with the LinkedIn profile of an alleged marketing employee at Apple, and we have confirmed that the Amazon review was indeed created by the Apple employee.
As I work in marketing for Apple, we test many Smart Home devices, especially for iOS HomeKit integration. [...]

Some advice, there are many third party applications, most free, that offer more control and customization(s) with many Smart Home devices. "Yonomi" is a free app that I often use, "Home" is another which cost $14.99. Both offer support for many devices with more added daily (including Amazon "Echo"). The next version of iOS due this fall will have a standalone "HomeKit" app as well.
While we verified the source of the information, there's always a chance that Apple's plans could change ahead of the release of iOS 10. There have been several past rumors suggesting Apple would debut a public HomeKit app, but such an app has not materialized even though Apple has long used a HomeKit app internally.

Apple has previously trademarked a HomeKit app icon (pictured above) that could potentially be used for a standalone HomeKit app and rumors have suggested it could be called "Home."

A cohesive, Apple-branded HomeKit app would go a long way towards improving the HomeKit experience. At the current time, HomeKit users with multiple products must use several different product apps, many of which offer different features, or rely on third-party apps.

Update: Further research on the alleged Apple employee who wrote the review suggests the information leaked about an upcoming HomeKit app in iOS 10 was a hoax. It is not clear if and when Apple will release a standalone HomeKit app.

Article Link: iOS 10 Likely to Include Standalone HomeKit App Designed by Apple [Update: Hoax]

Reactions: Icaras and MrUNIMOG

Icaras

macrumors 603
Mar 18, 2008
Not pointless for me as I own several HomeKit enabled products and really would love more hands on control in a single unified experience, so I really look forward to using this app. Bring it on Apple! The icon is looking good too.

ardchoille50

macrumors 68020
Feb 6, 2014
Do these apps really take up that much space on a phone. Stick them in a folder and then you never have to look at them. :rolleyes:
One app doesn't take up much, but ten apps take up a bit.. and more are added as time goes on. It would be different if we were able to remove these apps from our devices, but that isn't the case. Looking at them isn't the issue, consider someone who fills their iPhone to the brim with videos and music and cannot afford to waste their data plan downloading content all the time when they're away from a wifi connection.

Just because you're ok with a certain practice doesn't mean it doesn't adversely affect others.

Last edited:

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
One app doesn't take up much, but ten apps take up a bit.. and more are added as time goes on. It would be different if we were able to remove these apps from our devices, but that isn't the case.

Just because you're ok with a certain practice doesn't mean it doesn't adversely affect others.
I still wonder how much space we are actually talking about even with a few apps put together. Most of the native stock Apple apps are essentially front-ends to functionalities that are already included and built in into the OS itself, so at least from the space point of view, it would seem that removing even some of them wouldn't likely yield much freed up space as while the apps might be gone the actual functionalities that those apps expose and use would still be there in the OS taking up whatever space they took up before (given that built-in things that are part of the OS itself wouldn't really be pulled out of the OS when the the app is uninstalled).

Icaras

macrumors 603
Mar 18, 2008
Omg, bunch of winers... SHUT UP! I feel sorry for your wife, or your mom! Damn!

Thank you Apple for trying to simply HomeKit :)

Yea, Just another day at Macrumors. Whenever I can, I try to balance out all the negativity on these boards with a post or two. Never have I seen a more whiney crowd than on here. :rolleyes:

But to be on subject, I genuinely am excited for the release of this app. I've been waiting for this since accessory makers started selling HomeKit products. It's awesome to be able to tell Siri to control my home but i'd like to start setting up more control with an app. I'm getting quite excited for iOS 10 this summer. :D

69Mustang

macrumors 604
Jan 7, 2014
In between a rock and a hard place
So you felt it was ok for you to whine about the whiners? I feel sorry for your wife, or your mom! Damn!
I was thinking the same thing. To be fair, it is a whine in support of Apple. So that makes it acceptable.:D

Omg, bunch of winers... SHUT UP! I feel sorry for your wife, or your mom! Damn!

Thank you Apple for trying to simply HomeKit :)
"Omg, bunch of winers... SHUT UP!" Alcoholics tend to talk a lot so you may have trouble shutting them up.:p
Whining about whining is still whining. Whether for or against a topic, it's a distinction without a difference. Still whining. Although, better than whining while wining. ;)

On topic: Anything Apple can do to make these side projects like Homekit more cohesive and viable is a good thing. The ideas behind it are good. I'd hate to see it wither and die on the vine.

boston04and07

macrumors 68000
May 13, 2008
I've been wanting this for quite a while, but if they introduce this I really hope it's not iOS only, and has a Mac and even tvOS counterpart. I'm sick of having to find my phone in order to perform a quick and simple task that my MacBook is more than capable of performing...

uid15

Suspended
Mar 9, 2015
JUST PLEASE LET US DELETE OR HIDE APPS WE DON'T NEED, APPLE

If they allowed that, it would detract from simple and efficient support calls. A known (minimum) quantity feature set is required, so that on tech support you can be told "Open X app, and tap..." - if "X app" has been removed on a device, that introduces a layer of unnecessary complexity to the situation.

Known quantities are why Apple devices are so simple to to operate and support.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.