Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

GalvaJ

macrumors regular
Oct 28, 2011
No Rush

I still have my 4S on 5.0.1 with the jailbreak and don't really know if I'm gonna upgrade before the jailbreak, if it's released at all that is. I haven't had any issues such as battery drain or anything so there's nothing I'm eager to fix. I'm just really attached to Activator which is the only JB tweak I have installed. I like the ability to swipe my status bar to open the app switcher, as I'm a little OCD about having some apps open all the time, such as the piece of junk Facebook app. I've heard some stories of the home button being overworked due the app switcher and don't wanna risk anything.

Maxipeg

macrumors member
Aug 12, 2004
So far no problems here

Installed 5.1 without the slightest glitch on an iPad1, feels snappier! Like a new iPad... :):):)

I have jailbroken (or jaibreaked?) my 4s because that was the only way to use my PolarBT heart rate belt so I will wait until a jailbreak is available for 5.1.

kiwiboi87

macrumors 6502
Aug 30, 2011
New Zealand
got it on my iPhone 4,
seems faster in alot of areas.
loading of the camera app, switching between apps
the screen even seems more brighter or crisp, it looks good

a bit bummed about the lack of new features,

Bawstun

Suspended
Jun 25, 2009
My 4S still drained 7% sitting idle over night.
Not as bad as before but still not acceptable in that it used to only drain 0-2%. :(

Your battery only has so many cycles and will only retain a certain % or charge the longer and longer the phone goes. If anything your battery will get worse over time, not better.

notabadname

macrumors 68000
Jan 4, 2010
Detroit Suburbs
3G, 4G, & 4G LTE - why not differentiate?

I like the addition of the 4G indicator on the iPhone 4S now. I can certainly see the difference in speed between that and the standard 3G. And since, as independently tested, the HSPA+ is significantly faster than Verizon's 3G, it is reasonable for AT&T to differentiate the capability when you are operating in an upgraded network. And, since the FCC has approved labeling HSPA+ as 4G, why WOULDN'T AT&T do it? Plus, there is a distinct 4G LTE indicator for the LTE network as well on AT&T that the iPhone 4S will never display.

RossMc

macrumors 65816
Apr 30, 2010
Newcastle, UK
I still can't download it. Tried OTA on both iPhone 4 & iPad 2 and get "Unable to Check for Update - An error occurred while checking for a software update" try through iTunes and get a "Contacting the iPhone software update server.." loop which does nothing.

Can't even download the 5.1 .ipsw directly either for some reason.

ThaDoggg

macrumors 6502a
Sep 26, 2010
Burlington, Canada
I was able to download and install this on my iPhone 4 yesterday without any problems. The phone does seem snappier but I'm still wondering how the battery will perform.

jakesteramma

macrumors member
Oct 10, 2007
Contacting the iPhone software update server.

If you're getting the message "Contacting the iPad/iPhone software update server" and it won't do anything.......

It's definitely a DNS issue. I'm on CenturyLink DSL.

This is what I did to work around it....

My DNS setting is 192.168.1.1 which is my DSL modem. I changed it to Google's DNS server at 8.8.8.8.

When I did this, the message "Contacting the iPad...." immediately went away and it started to download.

Hope this helps!!!

tablo13

macrumors 65816
Jul 29, 2010
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
Do you recon that updating it from iTunes would work? Mine's just hanging so far. It's saying "Waiting for iPhone." For the past 10 minutes. And the screen has a loading bar under the logo but it's been blank the whole time.

[UPDATE]

The progress bar finally started moving. So I think this does obviously work. Great.

I don't wanna go through the iTunes update BS. Have to rearrange apps, sync music again... I'm still on 5.0 for that reason.

dysamoria

macrumors 68020
Dec 8, 2011
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9B176 Safari/7534.48.3)

Anyone noticed text selection behavior changes (ie: in Mail)?

mitch1976

macrumors newbie
Mar 9, 2012
also been having trouble upgrading OTA & itunes

I tried for 2 days to install IOS 5.1 in uk on my iphone 4s & ipad. The OTA update found the update but just hung on install and then error'd.

When trying on itunes I on my mac book pro running Mountain Lion, I couldnt get past the iphone server (no im not jailbroken).

In desperation I installed I tunes on a Windows 7 PC and it worked! How weird. Not sure if its Mountain lion to blame as ive never had any problems updating either method before. Also tried using wifi at work and that still error'd on the OTA. Has Apple chnaged settings or done something weird this time round?

Also hung when trying to download the ipsw file from the apple servers as a direct link!

Last edited:

dougal55

macrumors newbie
Sep 14, 2009
London
If you're getting the message "Contacting the iPad/iPhone software update server" and it won't do anything.......

It's definitely a DNS issue. I'm on CenturyLink DSL.

This is what I did to work around it....

My DNS setting is 192.168.1.1 which is my DSL modem. I changed it to Google's DNS server at 8.8.8.8.

When I did this, the message "Contacting the iPad...." immediately went away and it started to download.

Hope this helps!!!

I am still having no luck in the last 2 days with OTA nor through iTunes getting the 5.1 iOS update so I tried your suggestion of adding DNS Server for Google as I don't have any but still the same result. Im gonna have to call in to the Apple Store on Sunday afternoon to see if they can help. Any suggestions?

Apple, resolve this asap!

dougal

Luis Ortega

macrumors 65816
May 10, 2007
When the hell are they going to get siri working with locations outside the US?
Here in the UK, O2 is running a totally fraudulent ad making it sound like siri can find local information when in fact it is not true.

ps89

macrumors newbie
Dec 25, 2010
Hello everyone. I noticed that my iPhone 4s automatically enables 3G after some time even though I remember that I have kept it disabled. Just to note that I didn't reboot my phone or anything. This didn't happen in iOS 5.1 Beta 3. Has anyone else noticed this or is it just me? Thanks.

P.S. I did a clean restore without backup.

saberahul

macrumors 68040
Nov 6, 2008
USA
Just did OTA on iPhone 4 yesterday and iPad under process now. iPod Touch OTA worked out yesterday as well. Other iPad's also OTA'd yesterday with no problems. Not sure why others are facing issues.

BiggAW

macrumors 68030
Jun 19, 2010
Connecticut
I still have my 4S on 5.0.1 with the jailbreak and don't really know if I'm gonna upgrade before the jailbreak, if it's released at all that is. I haven't had any issues such as battery drain or anything so there's nothing I'm eager to fix. I'm just really attached to Activator which is the only JB tweak I have installed. I like the ability to swipe my status bar to open the app switcher, as I'm a little OCD about having some apps open all the time, such as the piece of junk Facebook app. I've heard some stories of the home button being overworked due the app switcher and don't wanna risk anything.

SBSettings is a great one, I have a switch to turn off vibrate, which I use at night, and MiWi is great as well. SBSettings also allows you to force EDGE. Three of the reasons I'm not getting 5.1!

GalvaJ

macrumors regular
Oct 28, 2011
When the hell are they going to get siri working with locations outside the US?
Here in the UK, O2 is running a totally fraudulent ad making it sound like siri can find local information when in fact it is not true.
Possibly when it's no longer considered to be in beta by Apple.

Taz Mangus

macrumors 604
Mar 10, 2011
Installed 5.1 without the slightest glitch on an iPad1, feels snappier! Like a new iPad... :):):)

I was pleasantly surprised how much more responsive the iPad 1 feels after the iOS 5.1 update. It indeed does feel like a new iPad all over again.

----------

Mine fluctuates in the "overnight" drain... some nights it's literally 1-2% some nights up to 5%... (still on 5.0.1 though)

After I installed the iOS 5.1 update and did a full charge that night, after removing my iPhone 4S from the charger where it sits at least 8 hours after the full charge, the next morning the battery level would be at 99% or 100%. With iOS 5.0.1 I would see at least a 5% battery drain under the same circumstances. I see no down side to the iOS 5.1 update.

Leonard1818

macrumors 68020
Nov 15, 2011
I was pleasantly surprised how much more responsive the iPad 1 feels after the iOS 5.1 update. It indeed does feel like a new iPad all over again.

----------

After I installed the iOS 5.1 update and did a full charge that night, after removing my iPhone 4S from the charger where it sits at least 8 hours after the full charge, the next morning the battery level would be at 99% or 100%. With iOS 5.0.1 I would see at least a 5% battery drain under the same circumstances. I see no down side to the iOS 5.1 update.

Since I last said that I let mine sit overnight and then some. it didn't move off of 100%. I got 10+ hours of standby without a single percent drop. (5.1)

trajkamal

macrumors newbie
Mar 12, 2012
Personal Hotspot Is Missing

Personal Hotspot Is Missing in iphone4s After iOS 5.1 Upgrade, did any one have solution for this. I tried all the possible way i found on net but i cant get it, plz find any.....

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.