Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Is your Battery Life better or worse?

• Yes, my battery life is noticeably better

Votes: 94 25.1%
  • No, my battery life seems to be a bit worse

Votes: 192 51.3%
  • It's too early to tell. It's my opinion that you shouldn't be able to tell yet.

Votes: 88 23.5%

• Total voters

BigMar89

macrumors 6502
Jun 15, 2013
Seattle, WA
I just got an iPhone 5 replacement from Apple due to a screen issue but I've noticed my device is constantly getting hot and freezing a whole lot, I downloaded SysStats and according to that app my CPU is consistently running above 60% average and that's without even adding more than half of the apps I used (restored as new iPhone) I remember the CPU running at an average 5%-10% on my original device. I already went back to the Apple store and have told me it's not a hardware issue but a rogue app(s) I find this hard to believe and I feel it has something to do with iCloud (again, restored with a new iCloud backup) any suggestions?

BigMar89

macrumors 6502
Jun 15, 2013
Seattle, WA
What I'm getting on a full charge with minimum usage

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    89 KB · Views: 207

Max(IT)

Suspended
Dec 8, 2009
Italy
Not a good result .... Maybe you have a broken app in background.
Did you try a restore as new and then a download of your apps from the store (NOT from your backup) ?

K123456

macrumors newbie
Mar 31, 2014
I dont think this device can perform any more worse with update
this is not a portable device anymore this is the worse update iv ever see so far
and i think i win the tittle who have the worst battery ever

Attachments

• IMG_0098.PNG
    IMG_0098.PNG
    66.4 KB · Views: 195

bkends35

macrumors 6502a
Feb 24, 2013
USA
I dont think this device can perform any more worse with update
this is not a portable device anymore this is the worse update iv ever see so far
and i think i win the tittle who have the worst battery ever

Obviously there's something wrong... I don't consider my battery even ¾ as good as 7.0 and I still get 6.5 hrs of usage regularly. Either restore you device and set up as new or go into an apple store.

applevinci

macrumors newbie
Jul 23, 2008
I have strange trouble with battery on my iPhone and my iPad!
From 00:12 to 09:31 this iPhone was on a table, Do Not Disturb on.
2h usage?!?!

Attachments

• Untitled-1.jpg
    Untitled-1.jpg
    220.8 KB · Views: 211

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
I have strange trouble with battery on my iPhone and my iPad!
From 00:12 to 09:31 this iPhone was on a table, Do Not Disturb on.
2h usage?!?!
Sounds like there might be an app int he background that is doing something.

Vanilla35

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Apr 11, 2013
Washington D.C.
Sooooo, I'm still getting bad battery life. The 7.1 update definitely shaved off like an hour of my per cycle usage time. Used to get maybe 6-7, now I get 5-6. Various tasks, but it hasn't gotten better since the update. There is no weird drain anymore, or irregulatority, just worse battery life.

mysticalos

macrumors member
May 8, 2007
I'm definitely seeing some battery drain issues lately. On 7.1.1 and maybe it's this, not sure

May 14 00:15:19 Adams-iPhone mstreamd[3208] <Notice>: (Warn ) mstreamd: mstreamd shutting down.
May 14 00:15:19 Adams-iPhone mstreamd[3209] <Notice>: (Note ) mstreamd: mstreamd starting up.
May 14 00:15:19 Adams-iPhone mstreamd[3209] <Notice>: (Note ) PS: Media stream daemon starting...
May 14 00:15:59 Adams-iPhone mstreamd[3209] <Notice>: (Note ) mstreamd: Not monitoring for external power.
May 14 00:15:59 Adams-iPhone mstreamd[3209] <Notice>: (Note ) PS: Media stream daemon stopping.
May 14 00:15:59 Adams-iPhone mstreamd[3209] <Notice>: (Note ) AS: <MSIOSAlbumSharingDaemon: 0x12d560180>: Shared Streams daemon

infinite loop basically. my IDLE cpu usage on monitoring shows average of about 5% with spikes at 10-12% that concern me. Spikes coincide with mstreamd process restarting.

I actually tried icloud work around and it didn't stop mstreamd from endlessly restarting. To me it's annoying this process starts at all considering I have all photo stuff disabled. The ONLY two icloud options I use are safari and contacts. My phone has lost 8% battery in standby mode in only 8 hours or so. I have not used phone at all. Wifi is on and it has picked up tweets but I generally don't see this much battery loss. I feel like this started with 7.1 as 7.0.6 was fine.

Iphone is 5S

Coupz

macrumors regular
Dec 24, 2013
I'm definitely seeing some battery drain issues lately. On 7.1.1 and maybe it's this, not sure

May 14 00:15:19 Adams-iPhone mstreamd[3208] <Notice>: (Warn ) mstreamd: mstreamd shutting down.
May 14 00:15:19 Adams-iPhone mstreamd[3209] <Notice>: (Note ) mstreamd: mstreamd starting up.
May 14 00:15:19 Adams-iPhone mstreamd[3209] <Notice>: (Note ) PS: Media stream daemon starting...
May 14 00:15:59 Adams-iPhone mstreamd[3209] <Notice>: (Note ) mstreamd: Not monitoring for external power.
May 14 00:15:59 Adams-iPhone mstreamd[3209] <Notice>: (Note ) PS: Media stream daemon stopping.
May 14 00:15:59 Adams-iPhone mstreamd[3209] <Notice>: (Note ) AS: <MSIOSAlbumSharingDaemon: 0x12d560180>: Shared Streams daemon

infinite loop basically. my IDLE cpu usage on monitoring shows average of about 5% with spikes at 10-12% that concern me. Spikes coincide with mstreamd process restarting.

I actually tried icloud work around and it didn't stop mstreamd from endlessly restarting. To me it's annoying this process starts at all considering I have all photo stuff disabled. The ONLY two icloud options I use are safari and contacts. My phone has lost 8% battery in standby mode in only 8 hours or so. I have not used phone at all. Wifi is on and it has picked up tweets but I generally don't see this much battery loss. I feel like this started with 7.1 as 7.0.6 was fine.

Iphone is 5S
Exactly what I've been seeing in the last couple days in an System activity app. Some days I end up at over 3xxx process id and I tried the suggestion on page 7 or 8 for killing mstreamd.

And those who get 200% battery boost with 7.1.1 should think about how much they use their phone. I had the same with over 5hours usage and 50% battery. It's mostly ghost time and that's why many people believe, they have better battery life!

Last edited:

Dented

macrumors 65816
Oct 16, 2009
Since 7.1.1 in particular (possibly before) I'm seeing very noticeable "ghost usage". If I leave my phone for half an hour, at least 10-15 minutes will be added to my usage time, and that hit is reflected in my battery life through the day.

I've tried turning off everything basically - icloud and my exchange email account, freq locations, all background refresh, iMessage, you name it - nothing makes a difference.

As someone else said, if I posted screenshots you'd probably be impressed at how much use I apparently get out of the phone before it dies. The problem is, at least a third of that usage - probably more - is completely bogus.

Coupz

macrumors regular
Dec 24, 2013
Since 7.1.1 in particular (possibly before) I'm seeing very noticeable "ghost usage". If I leave my phone for half an hour, at least 10-15 minutes will be added to my usage time, and that hit is reflected in my battery life through the day.

I've tried turning off everything basically - icloud and my exchange email account, freq locations, all background refresh, iMessage, you name it - nothing makes a difference.

As someone else said, if I posted screenshots you'd probably be impressed at how much use I apparently get out of the phone before it dies. The problem is, at least a third of that usage - probably more - is completely bogus.

Try downloading an system activity app and look how often mstreamd starts again in loop.
I have restarted my phone in the morning and then unplugged it. 12 hours later the process is of mstreamd is 1843!!

Dented

macrumors 65816
Oct 16, 2009
Try downloading an system activity app and look how often mstreamd starts again in loop.

I have restarted my phone in the morning and then unplugged it. 12 hours later the process is of mstreamd is 1843!!

Can I ask what app you're seeing this in? I have one that shows running processes, but it doesn't show mstreamd running at all - I don't know if it should be?

Coupz

macrumors regular
Dec 24, 2013
I have installed SYS-Lite and Systeminfo.
Dunno if these are available in other stores then Austria. I think it should be available in other stores too.

lookatchu

macrumors regular
Sep 25, 2013
Yes, battery life has been significantly worse with iOS 7 than iOS 6. But you know what? I got tired of worrying about it, especially considering that I'll probably get an iPhone 6 in a few months. If the degraded battery life continues, at least I'll have a new toy to take my mind off it.

I made a decision (though sometimes it's hard) to stop sweating about battery life, or else I'll never fully enjoy the phone. If, after a while, the Phone 6 continues a trend of being inferior to it's predecessor and competition, then I'll consider a switch to Android for my next phone. Apple innovation is lacking. And not that I really care, but the iPhone carries a negative connotation nowadays, as an "unhip" phone for older folks; something that granddaddys and grandmothers think is groundbreaking and get excited over.

joshisaboss

macrumors member
Oct 10, 2013
Earth
This phone is utter rubbish - been listening to music all day with about half an hour playing dEXtris inbetween. Cannot wait to get my upgrade in November!!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    87.7 KB · Views: 176

Vanilla35

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Apr 11, 2013
Washington D.C.
Yes, battery life has been significantly worse with iOS 7 than iOS 6. But you know what? I got tired of worrying about it, especially considering that I'll probably get an iPhone 6 in a few months. If the degraded battery life continues, at least I'll have a new toy to take my mind off it.

Thanks for your comment, but this thread is about iOS 7.1 versus 7.0

Dented

macrumors 65816
Oct 16, 2009
iOS 7.1 - Battery Drain (merged)

I have installed SYS-Lite and Systeminfo.

Dunno if these are available in other stores then Austria. I think it should be available in other stores too.

Well I have good, bad, and weird news.

I followed a tip in another thread and reset all settings - which is a PITA because it means resetting all your preferences afterwards and reconnecting to wifi etc - BUT it solved my phantom usage problem so was totally worth it.

Interestingly this is phantom usage that I was before and after a complete DFU restore - that didn't solve it, but a "reset all settings" did, and it was less hassle than setting up as a new phone.

So after this I looked again in my system info app (called BMSSM) which *wasn't* showing mstreamd at any time before, and I checked many times - and lo and behold suddenly it's there. The reset kicked it back into life.

And yes - just like yours, it's restarting multiple times, even as I watch it in the process list. Certainly seems like odd - and potentially battery draining - behaviour, and yet I didn't see it at all until I solved my phantom usage problem. Weird!

It's way too soon to say whether my battery life is actually any better either way..

Coupz

macrumors regular
Dec 24, 2013
We'll 24 hours ago, I also tried a "Reset All Settings" on my phone and changed only Text Size and keyboard. Now I got following stats (with background refresh on).
Well it's like 2.5 hours of this usage is phantom usage, haven't used my phone at all since yesterday.

And mstreamd is still running -_-

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    95.5 KB · Views: 155

Wagwaan

macrumors newbie
Apr 29, 2014
How's this for battery life?
If only....
By the way just to put my 2 cents in on ios 6 I was getting 10 hours of heavy usage and that's whatsapp Facebook and browsing also watching movie on my phone for maybe a couple of hours a day. Then two months ago I decided to take the plunge and update to ios 7 and since then it's gone absolutely abysmal. If I do the same amount if things I that I did on ios 6 I'd b lucky to get 4 hours of usage. This is an absolute joke from apple. They make a nice phone but then they just make it a hassle to keep it running after charging the consumers premium prices. My 3 year old iPhone 3GS which is jail broken has better battery life which is what I use when my iphone 5 dies. Apple need to fix up by ios 8 else im jumping ship.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    86.4 KB · Views: 161
Last edited:

LightOnAHill

macrumors regular
Jun 26, 2010
You can charge the phone all you want it will not hurt it. In fact Li-ion batteries prefer to be charged/topped often. Also what you are missing is the fact that you restored the backup After the restore. So what I am suggesting is the reset of settings AFTER you restored your backup from the older version of iOS. Perhaps if you are not fully charging the phone that is part of your issue as well. The meter shows 100% a while before its totally fully charged. It goes to a trickle after the meter hits 100 for another 45 to 60 minutes. That alone will yield more battery life but the process I have outlined will re-calibrate the software to the battery. I know for a fact it has helped numerous users over the years. Of course you are free to do what you want but the process I have outlined is a known solution to these types of issues dating back to at least iOS 5. Way I see it you have nothing to loose and everything to gain. That's my advice, do with it what you will. Best of luck to you!

This is correct about Li-Ion batteries, that they like to go up all the way often,

BUT,

DO NOT leave your battery always above 90 percent, or near 100 percent because a Li-Ion battery will corrode inside (its natural process, can't stop it) FASTER when fully charged than when between 60% and 90%

I prefer to charge my device before bed to about 85% and then let it sit overnight at that, and then in the morning top it off before I leave for the day or on the way to work.

Plus, peoples batteries may be at different states of corrosion, and thus ability to hold charge, and hold voltage output at different levels of drain.

Thus, I'd expect to find WAY too much variation between people's experiences based on the condition of their battery to be able to conclude overall whether an OS has slightly better battery life or not. (vastly better battery life or not will show up across lots of users irregardless of their battery condition, within the first or second s of dev).

:D

sunking101

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2013
How's this for battery life?
If only....
By the way just to put my 2 cents in on ios 6 I was getting 10 hours of heavy usage and that's whatsapp Facebook and browsing also watching movie on my phone for maybe a couple of hours a day. Then two months ago I decided to take the plunge and update to ios 7 and since then it's gone absolutely abysmal. If I do the same amount if things I that I did on ios 6 I'd b lucky to get 4 hours of usage. This is an absolute joke from apple. They make a nice phone but then they just make it a hassle to keep it running after charging the consumers premium prices. My 3 year old iPhone 3GS which is jail broken has better battery life which is what I use when my iphone 5 dies. Apple need to fix up by ios 8 else im jumping ship.

Exactly my findings. iOS7 didn't just lower my battery runtime, it absolutely slayed it. Hours less.

Wagwaan

macrumors newbie
Apr 29, 2014
I used I backup not on my iphone iPhone 3GS and after 793 cycles I had only lost 170mah from its original charge capacity whereas after 485 cycles on my iphone 5 I had lost 280 mah. Doesn't say much for the iphone 5 does it. Could the batterie be detriotibg quicker with the the new ios or what? The iPhone 3GS has been through around 3 years if heavy usage. Whearas I've my iphone 5 is just over a year old.

AHDuke99

macrumors 68020
Nov 14, 2002
Charleston, SC
It's just garbage. I've grown accustomed to carrying my charger around with me now because I get maybe a half day out of my iPhone 5. And yeah, phantom usage. I could not use my phone all day and I'd still see 3-4 hours of usage under battery usage.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.