Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

4TheLoveOfTech

macrumors 6502
Feb 27, 2013
If Apple has proven anything, it's that they understand that "design is not how something looks, it's how it works".

Ive was put in charge of "human interface", not graphic design. In other words, he's not just re-skinning iOS or re-photoshopping the icons. iOS will almost certainly display new graphics, fonts, etc. But if Apple is the Apple I know, they will also tackle various usability issues as well - over-reliance on the Settings app, annoying pop-ups and notifications, repetitive sign-in processes, difficulty sharing content, etc.

Why would this year be any different than the past 5?

Apple doesn't give users what they want. Apple gives users what Apple thinks they want. Apple knows best. They tell their users all the time.

You don't know what you want. Just leave it to Apple and you won't be disappointed. Again...

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
More fakes?

http://www.macobserver.com/tmo/arti...er&utm_medium=rss&utm_campaign=rss_everything

20130609newmacproquestionmark.jpg

thleeal

macrumors regular
Jun 24, 2009
Count?

As ever with WWDC etc, the rumours hype things up. Take your expectations and half them or more! Then, you won't be as disappointed!

That wave on the OSX banner, my initial thought was - a renaming from lions - they've gone through most of them - will OSX be rebranded? OSX Wave - but thats too obvious, or OSX being refresh ( a wave being 'fresh').

OSX 10.10 next year would look odd as would 10.11 etc. Why not just make the break for OSX 10.9.

The banners have always something to do whats coming.. of course, after the keynote, its all pretty obvious.

10.10? That's 10.1, you don't go from 109 to 101, you go to 110. That off my chest, I agree with your wave analysis, very cleaver.

StyxMaker

macrumors 68020
Mar 14, 2010
Inside my head.
The only way I could possibly see iOS 7 as polarizing would be if it was a lot more like Android. Your average iOS user likes evolutionary changes, not revolutionary. When the iOS revolution finally comes, expect your local Apple store to be filled with a lot of confused middle-age women seeking answers to why their phones and tablets don't work as well as they used to.

Great, ageism and sexism in one sentence. What makes you think that 'middle aged women' would have more problems with operating system changes than anyone els?

strausd

macrumors 68030
Jul 11, 2008
Texas
Okay, I'll take both dev previews, and iPhone 5S.

rMBP/rMBA, Mac Pro, and iPad can wait until August or whatever back to school announcement they sometimes do.

You couldn't be more wrong.

iPhone 5S will not come out tomorrow.

New Mac Pro and new laptop models will be shown off tomorrow, not August. And these updates, specifically the Mac Pro, cannot wait until August. If you think the Mac Pro, which hasn't been updated for nearly 3 years, should wait longer for an update while a 9 month old phone can't, please put down whatever it is you are smoking.

iPad also won't be updated in August. It will likely be September-October.

Back to school announcements typically start shortly after WWDC. For reference, last year it started on Monday, June 11. This year, WWDC falls on Monday June 10. So they could very well use WWDC to start the promotion. However, it will likely start soon after WWDC with no announcement on stage.

----------

Clear fake. Blurs don't match from the top part of Safari to the actual web page. Plus it looks like that page was just slapped on. You can easily see it on the top two corners, and slightly on the bottom left. Not to mention the URL is conveniently washed out.

JoeG4

macrumors 68030
Jan 11, 2002

yup fake. I don't think Apple would use the term GPU or "in a zip" in title pictures that way.

I also don't expect that a set of say, Geforce Titans would fit into something the size of a G4 cube. Then again, Geforce Titans? I don't expect Apple would actually stick something that powerful into a Mac Pro. They'll probably have the GTX 660 as the highest end option and charge $500 for it.

`ShawnD

macrumors newbie
Jun 9, 2013

New Mac Pro and new laptop models will be shown off tomorrow, not August. And these updates, specifically the Mac Pro, cannot wait until August. If you think the Mac Pro, which hasn't been updated for nearly 3 years, should wait longer for an update while a 9 month old phone can't, please put down whatever it is you are smoking.

Back to school announcements typically start shortly after WWDC. For reference, last year it started on Monday, June 11. This year, WWDC falls on Monday June 10. So they could very well use WWDC to start the promotion. However, it will likely start soon after WWDC with no announcement on stage.

I wholeheartedly agree that an iPhone 5S will not be making it's debut tomorrow. However, your assumption about the Mac Pro being unable to wait until August or later is totally wrong. It's a niche market that definitely includes less than 1% of Apple's userbase. On the other hand, Apple sells 30 million+ iPhones per quarter. An update to the aging smartphone would be welcomed much more than an update to the Mac Pro. The Mac Pro's update should take a backseat to the iPhone 5S.

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002
The only way I could possibly see iOS 7 as polarizing would be if it was a lot more like Android. Your average iOS user likes evolutionary changes, not revolutionary. When the iOS revolution finally comes, expect your local Apple store to be filled with a lot of confused middle-age women seeking answers to why their phones and tablets don't work as well as they used to.

Agree w/ the other poster... idiotic thoughts there.

1) The average iOS user wants something intuitive. Period.

2) My 72 y.o. mom is a whiz on her iPhone and iPad but my 73 old dad is such a technophobe he hangs onto his ancient LG flip phone. Why don't you crawl out of your cave sometime. You might find that there are lots of middle age women who are appreciably more tech savvy than middle age men.

3) If Apple makes an OS that slows down existing iDevices that's on Apple. Many more people than middle age women will be flocking to Apple Stores. But a new design doesn't necessarily correlate with slow operation.

Stella

macrumors G3
Apr 21, 2003
Canada
10.10? That's 10.1, you don't go from 109 to 101, you go to 110. That off my chest, I agree with your wave analysis, very cleaver.

Of course you can go to 10.10 - its just two numbers signifying a version, obvious examples:
* 10.11 - the 11th major revision of OSX ( OS 10).
* 10.10 - the tenth major revision of OSX.

10.10 is not a decimal number- its a version number.

Last edited:

xcodeaddict

macrumors 6502a
Mar 2, 2013
yup fake. I don't think Apple would use the term GPU or "in a zip" in title pictures that way.

I also don't expect that a set of say, Geforce Titans would fit into something the size of a G4 cube. Then again, Geforce Titans? I don't expect Apple would actually stick something that powerful into a Mac Pro. They'll probably have the GTX 660 as the highest end option and charge $500 for it.

The wording is WAY too nerdy, long winded and specific - I'm just relieved people like this don't choose the taglines for Apple products... nope, they are probably too busy working on Android, creating confusing menu systems :p

Also... conveniently fuzzy, that photo - and the machine looks like someone's (very unimaginatively) stretched the Mac mini vertically, and shaded it a bit... it looks GHASTLY!

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002
Great, ageism and sexism in one sentence. What makes you think that 'middle aged women' would have more problems with operating system changes than anyone els?

Obviously read it in the current cave carving of StoneAge Magazine, that women were stoopid, and middle age women even dumber than that. And hey, if it's carved in stone it must be true. Must be, it's in stone. :D

strausd

macrumors 68030
Jul 11, 2008
Texas
I wholeheartedly agree that an iPhone 5S will not be making it's debut tomorrow. However, your assumption about the Mac Pro being unable to wait until August or later is totally wrong. It's a niche market that definitely includes less than 1% of Apple's userbase. On the other hand, Apple sells 30 million+ iPhones per quarter. An update to the aging smartphone would be welcomed much more than an update to the Mac Pro. The Mac Pro's update should take a backseat to the iPhone 5S.

Try going to the Mac Pro forums and saying that the Mac Pro should take a backseat.

The Mac Pro has taken the backseat for years. If you try and just push it back forever, it never gets updated. There are multiple reasons why the Mac Pro sales are less than their other products. But one reasons their sales are significantly worse than other professional workstations is that they still hold 3 year old hardware.

They have a chance to dramatically change the professional market. You know, the market that makes all the iPhone sales what they are today. The market that makes all the apps you use. The market that makes all the content you watch. You can't just tell the professional market to take a backseat or everything else will suffer. And it is because of this mentality that Apple lost a Mac Pro customer, myself. I had a Mac Pro, but the lack of updates made me switch.

I also find it funny that you call a 9 month old iPhone aging and think a 3 year old Mac Pro shouldn't be updated.

Stella

macrumors G3
Apr 21, 2003
Canada
The 7.

The rumours of the flat IOS 7 look may well be true - that is a very texture less and flat 7.

As someone else pointed out, may be the 7 are the colours options of the next iPhone.

My thought: the colours that are used in iOS7.

Maybe they are introducing Dashboard to iOS 7. So, whenever you turn it on it will default to the dashboard. If you swipe to the right you can search, and if you swipe to the left you get the standard springboard pages with apps and folders.

I like that concept of the iOS dashboard.. I wish it were.. unfortunately, its too busy. Apple would think a screen that busy would confuse the poor user...

StyxMaker

macrumors 68020
Mar 14, 2010
Inside my head.
Let's see....

That ultra skinny version of Helvetica will be the new standard font, meaning it will be unreadable for anyone over 30.

More unnecessary ageism. At 63 I have no problem reading that, or any other font. Why do people have to make such stupid comments?

StyxMaker

macrumors 68020
Mar 14, 2010
Inside my head.
Here's a thought. I think Apple could possibly announce that there won't be Mac OS X 10.9 - instead, they're going to go back and 'reboot the franchise', if you will, and the next version will simply be called OS X.

On a slightly more optimistic and personal note, they'll also announce they're going to bring back the rainbow Apple logo but with gradual colour changes instead of solid bands of colour. One can hope!

They need to wait until they get to OS X 10.10, then they can rename it OS X X X

portishead

macrumors 65816
Apr 4, 2007
los angeles

It's not me being "wrong". I was replying as a joke to another poster who said to choose 3 things I wanted. It wasn't a prediction. Besides, nobody knows what is being released tomorrow, so it's all speculation.

Also, Mac Pro hasn't seen a real update in years. No reason why you can't wait a couple more months. There's exponentially more iPhone users, it would make sense for Apple to focus more on that from a financial standpoint. Either way, I don't really care as both are probably coming within a few months.

----------

Well I guess you beat me to it. But yes, I agree with you.

lk400

macrumors 65816
Aug 26, 2012
Maybe Tim is actually 'doubling down'...

Its plausible. I dont know anything about how Apple is organizationally, but I guess they do their software in-house, so its primarily Apple employees they have to control until now. Unlike contracting out the build, where people take bits home or snap pictures.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.