Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Patriot24

macrumors 68030
Dec 29, 2010
California
Just listened to the podcast. Gruber mentioned the "polarizing" piece extremely casually and basically said he had no idea what it meant. The part about all the leaks being wrong was even more casual.

tl;dr - He doesn't have any good info and we shouldn't read into the comments all that much.

lk400

macrumors 65816
Aug 26, 2012
So lets see what rumors we've heard:

- iRadio
- iOS Flat Design
- AirDrop
- AppleTV App Store
- Siri on OS X
- MBA Change
- MBP retina change

And all are wrong...?

I think it was about the new iOS. I think only the second and third are relevant.

----------

He specifically said leaks, not rumours.

or more importantly

"one source has indicated "all the leaks are wrong" with respect to iOS 7."

jwdsail

macrumors 6502a
Mar 3, 2004
I wonder if they'll *finally* improve the Reminders app to be somewhat.. useful..

1. Let me set the size of the geo-fence.

2. Let me set a stretch of road and a direction of travel. I don't need to be reminded to buy something as I walk into a store, I need to be reminded to stop at the store as I'm about to drive by it.

3. Let me set a location *on a map*. I don't want to have all the stores, offices, etc I go to in my Contacts.

4. Let me set generic locations, like grocery stores, gas stations, etc

5. Let me set reminders by both location and dates.. "Remind me to do X at location x, y or z only on monday-friday"

6. Fold Reminders into Calendar. Why should it be separate apps?

CodeJingle

macrumors 6502a
Oct 23, 2009
Greater Seattle, WA
I'm not even going to WWDC and I am so flippin excited. Hell I even have to wait till Apple posts the video of the keynote to watch it and I am still *THIS* excited. The only thing that could make tomorrow more awesome is if Sir Ive shows up on stage. Donning white-gold chain mail armor.

StyxMaker

macrumors 68020
Mar 14, 2010
Inside my head.
How was Apple's old YouTube app better than what we have now? And yeah I think something like Google Now is loads better than any Apple app.

What applications and interfaces a person likes is a matter of taste.

de gustibus non disputandum est

There is no arguing with taste.

MIZA

macrumors newbie
Mar 29, 2013
I doubt Gruber requested MacRumors post this on their front page. :rolleyes:
You have no clue how marketing works.

You ignite a fire and let nature take its course. You can't control the direction the wind blows... :rolleyes:

Last edited:

FreeState

macrumors 68000
Jun 24, 2004
San Diego, CA
I was thinking that in previous years other than last year. the WWDC banners directly featured the apps themselves. What if that's the case this year as well? What if the colorful squares are the app icons themselves? They're just so freakin minimalist that they have no iconography whatsoever and they're just blank colors. This is most likely not true but I thought it was interesting, it would definitely be polarizing!

It also would be a huge mistake, color blind people would no longer be able to use the phone.

strausd

macrumors 68030
Jul 11, 2008
Texas
Also, Mac Pro hasn't seen a real update in years. No reason why you can't wait a couple more months. There's exponentially more iPhone users, it would make sense for Apple to focus more on that from a financial standpoint. Either way, I don't really care as both are probably coming within a few months.

No update in years is exactly why the need one sooner. The iPhone 5 hasn't even been out for a year, yet you are trying to tell me it requires an update before something that hasn't been updated in 3 years? That makes no logical sense.

I guess I need to remind you, if it wasn't for Mac Pros and other workstations, the iPhone would suck. Every smartphone for that matter would suck. It is because of professional workstations that these are even being built. It is because of workstations that there is content on these devices, that there are great apps, great accessories, and great features.

But we don't have to agree. And there is a specific point here where we clearly don't. You think a 9 month old smartphone is more deserving of an update than a professional workstation that is still using 3 year old components. Ok, fine, think whatever you want. Just go try telling that to the Mac Pro community here ;)

----------

I wonder if they'll *finally* improve the Reminders app to be somewhat.. useful..

1. Let me set the size of the geo-fence.

2. Let me set a stretch of road and a direction of travel. I don't need to be reminded to buy something as I walk into a store, I need to be reminded to stop at the store as I'm about to drive by it.

3. Let me set a location *on a map*. I don't want to have all the stores, offices, etc I go to in my Contacts.

4. Let me set generic locations, like grocery stores, gas stations, etc

5. Let me set reminders by both location and dates.. "Remind me to do X at location x, y or z only on monday-friday"

6. Fold Reminders into Calendar. Why should it be separate apps?

There is way too much purposeful functionality in what you said for Apple to implement it.

portishead

macrumors 65816
Apr 4, 2007
los angeles
You think a 9 month old smartphone is more deserving of an update than a professional workstation that is still using 3 year old components. Ok, fine, think whatever you want. Just go try telling that to the Mac Pro community here ;)

I never said that or implied that. It might make more financial sense for Apple, but I never said Apple should ignore the Pro machine. I've been waiting for 3 years as well like everyone else. I hope it's worth the wait.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
You have no clue how marketing works.

You ignite a fire and let nature take its course. You can't control the direction the wind blows... :rolleyes:

It was a throw away comment on a podcast. Lasted less than a minute. He wasn't igniting anything. MR is just looking for hits and knew a headline like this would get plenty.

linux2mac

macrumors 65816
Aug 29, 2009
"City of Lakes", MN
Apple have always been polarising. That is why we get so many Android trolls here. Their hatred of Apple is stronger than their love of Android, so they spend their time on Apple forums.

I never understood why Apple haters would spend so much time on an Apple forum. I have no desire to visit Android/Windows forums even though I vehemently despise their inferior products.

Looking forward to the iOS7 announcement tomorrow!! :apple:

ipedro

macrumors 603
Nov 30, 2004
Toronto, ON
If iOS7 comes out with the same tired look, it would be a massive letdown after all the hype built up. I really doubt Apple would have managed PR so poorly. If there were no new UI coming, their PR machine would have at the very least denied it and may have leaked real upcoming features to quell the false "new UI" rumours. I doubt that "all the leaks are wrong". We'll definitely see Ive's influence all over iOS7 and probably OSX 10.9

What Apple needs to deliver tomorrow:

-- Refreshed UI to carry iOS for the next 4 or 5 versions.
-- Maps 2.0. They have to address the failure of maps (even if only a public perception failure) and re-introduce Maps with all the problems corrected (including built in transit and probably a new partner for data accuracy)
-- Improved Siri to match Google's speed.

Anything else is gravy but these three are perceived weaknesses of iOS and Apple needs to turn them around and that must be delivered clearly and strongly in tomorrow's keynote.

dampfnudel

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2010
Brooklyn, NY
Great, ageism and sexism in one sentence. What makes you think that 'middle aged women' would have more problems with operating system changes than anyone els?

Based on what I've seen at a couple of Apple stores and if I've offended any middle age women who don't fall into this category, I'm sorry.:(

----------

At some point they'll have to adapt, so hopefully that time will come sooner rather than later (preferably tomorrow).

Hoping that time comes soon rather than later as well.

----------

Agree w/ the other poster... idiotic thoughts there.

1) The average iOS user wants something intuitive. Period.

2) My 72 y.o. mom is a whiz on her iPhone and iPad but my 73 old dad is such a technophobe he hangs onto his ancient LG flip phone. Why don't you crawl out of your cave sometime. You might find that there are lots of middle age women who are appreciably more tech savvy than middle age men.

3) If Apple makes an OS that slows down existing iDevices that's on Apple. Many more people than middle age women will be flocking to Apple Stores. But a new design doesn't necessarily correlate with slow operation.

Actually, I have to agree with your points, but like with everything in life, there are exceptions. I also find older women learn faster than older men, based on my parents. Again, I apologize if I offended anyone.

Michaelgtrusa

macrumors 604
Oct 13, 2008
Icons ?

Attachments

• app-store.png
    app-store.png
    251.6 KB · Views: 67
  • mail.png
    mail.png
    145.5 KB · Views: 73
  • music.png
    music.png
    238.8 KB · Views: 73
  • photos-app.png
    photos-app.png
    49.3 KB · Views: 63
  • safari.png
    safari.png
    257.2 KB · Views: 89

JoeG4

macrumors 68030
Jan 11, 2002
The wording is WAY too nerdy, long winded and specific - I'm just relieved people like this don't choose the taglines for Apple products... nope, they are probably too busy working on Android, creating confusing menu systems :p

Also... conveniently fuzzy, that photo - and the machine looks like someone's (very unimaginatively) stretched the Mac mini vertically, and shaded it a bit... it looks GHASTLY!

Naming conventions are ridiculous, man. If GPU was the name of a model of BMW, I could bet you the most dense marketing person could tell you what each letter meant. Since it's a computer, I sense a feeling of disgust instead.

I find this attitude highly disrespectful. Still, I wouldn't expect Apple's marketing to use the term GPU in a banner, nor that form of vocabulary exercised in the picture. Of course, a Mac Pro user might know what GPU stands for, so it'd be relevant to them...

Then again I often see it pushed here that only "people that work with video" are people that need Mac Pros.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.