Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Do you like Apple's MAps in iOS 7?

• I live in the US and Apple's Maps is great.

Votes: 158 27.9%
  • I live outside the US and Apple's Maps is great.

Votes: 64 11.3%
  • I live in the US nd Apple's Maps is OK.

Votes: 97 17.1%
  • I live outside the US and Apple's Maps is OK.

Votes: 93 16.4%
  • I live in the US and Apple's Maps is a festering pile of excrement.

Votes: 63 11.1%
  • I live outside the US and Apple's Maps is a festering pile of excrement.

Votes: 91 16.1%

• Total voters

CHMK

macrumors regular
Sep 3, 2012
if all the tech companies could just get along, technology would be great.

if apple and google were friends, then apple would be able to pay for googles map services , and all would be fine. just as im sure that google could take advantage of some apple technology etc...

everybody wins.

im not saying u need to copy all each others patents such as the samsung and apple wars but...

sakau2007

macrumors 6502
Oct 12, 2011
still terrible for me. i live in a micropolitan area in the united states. the neighborhood where i live was built in 2007. it is not on the map. instead, random streets that do not exist are shown in its place. i have come to find out that there was once a trailer park on this land and those may have been the street names from back in 2004, you know, when it still existed. there are stores that closed 5 years ago on the map, and there are also stores that do exist shown anywhere from a tenth of a mile to 2+ miles off.

tl;dr version
it's awful

----------

Maps by Apple are far better than Google Maps. They just are.

in what way? certainly not in the sense that the map data is accurate. i feel like anyone who prefers apple maps is basically saying they would prefer a painting by me to Da Vinci because i used higher quality paint than Da Vinci did.

xxBURT0Nxx

macrumors 68020
Jul 9, 2009
Either not true or the parsing of addresses there also need to work better.

oh really??? :rolleyes::rolleyes:

like i said, addresses become clickable, without so much as even needing a city, state, or zipcode.

It also makes text like "3:00 today" clickable to easily make a calendar appointment. Nice try though.

Brazuca

macrumors regular
Jun 25, 2003
in a message you can simply click the address, there is no need to copy the entire thing so i don't see your point. Dates or even terms like "tomorrow at 6:00" or "wednesday at 3" become clickable "links" to create calendar events.

it sure doesn't give me a map when i google those terms. I still don't see why you think that a search engine should be able to separate words for you.

How about places with a hwy called e470 for example? the address E 470 St is not the same as E470 the hwy but you want them to magically know what you are talking about because you don't want to type one extra space.

E 46th St is not the same as
E46th St

just the same as

"The dog is a loud mutt" is not the same as
"The dog is aloud mutt"

If you wanted to search for the first quote, would you leave out the space between "a" and "loud"??? NO

If you want to search for an address would you type

East 46th Street or would you search
East46th Street without a space?

I don't type "HowToMakeChickenWings" into google and expect it to figure out where it should put spaces, so why should I expect a map to do the same?

I mean, based on your logic, why even put spaces in an address at all, it should just figure out what "12255E56thST" means right?

Again, this is Manhattan. It is very common for the address to not include a space before the E. My example of the google search is just to illustrate how common this is.

"123 E43rd St" is common.
"123 East43rd St" is not.
"123E43rdSt" is a joke.

But a parser should be smart about all these cases and try its best. It should know that, in Manhattan, there is no confusing "E43rd st" with some other mythical street named "E43". This is exactly the job of the search engine.

Instead, Apple returns "no search results" because of a missing space on an obvious address in Manhattan. No suggestions, no anything.

That doesn't mean I think that all spelling mistakes should be expected to return the correct result. Only that Apple's implementation can be better and much more aware of the content.

ErikGrim

macrumors 603
Jun 20, 2003
Brisbane, Australia

Attachments

• screenshot.png
    screenshot.png
    346.4 KB · Views: 119

xxBURT0Nxx

macrumors 68020
Jul 9, 2009
:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Like I said. Parsing needs work.
You can roll your eyes, but you are the one who called me a liar and said it doesn't work and is not a feature when in fact it is.

maybe you, like the other guy, need to work on using spaces in your addresses??

I mean, I don't search on google for "HowToCookLobster" I don't know why you guys type your addresses like 13345BanannaStreetDenverCO80445 or even 13345,Bananna,Street,Denver,CO,80445

I mean, I'm just saying. And even if that is how you write addresses in australia, it's pretty apparent that the search they are using is unable to figure it out, so perhaps, you should adapt and try to help yourself by helping the search out? I mean I guess you could just keep doing it the other way, never getting the results you want, and continuing to complain because that's probably easier for you....

jdsingle

macrumors regular
Oct 28, 2011
It was pretty good from the very start actually. At least the map data was accurate.

Seriously? I lived in Southern California and Google Maps was a joke when it first started off. I don't see what the big deal is with Apple Maps, if it sucks, don't use it. Google Maps is available on your iPhone, use it.

kaielement

macrumors 65816
Dec 16, 2010
I down loaded the Google maps for iOS and found that I got wring directions a few times. So far on iOS I haven't had as many issues. IOS maps for now when using my iPhone.

thekb

macrumors 6502a
May 8, 2010
Apple Maps has been dead-on balls accurate for me.

It's an industry term.

robjulo

Suspended
Jul 16, 2010
Until they add a way to scroll the map while navigating so I can see the upcoming route (or zoom out) I will continue to use google. A task as simple as trying to to figure out where it is taking you shouldn't involve going through "overview"

AMPoulos

macrumors newbie
Sep 27, 2013
Indianapolis
Always have like Maps.
Only one time did I have a discrepancy.
I use Maps daily to log distance and time.
It Works very well, and is very, very accurate.

odin

macrumors member
Jul 22, 2002
Visit the TomTom website. Notice most Apple Maps errors are TomTom errors. Use TomToms site error reporter to report errors that gives feedback on when or if your error is accepted and will be in next update or refused. Do this for each error. Watch Apple Maps improve even more quickly.

imhereareyou

macrumors regular
Aug 28, 2013
The maps tend to work awesome for me, my girlfriend has some big ole phone and that damn thing literally makes us go in circles, I am not even kidding, just happened last weekend. So we always pull out my trusty iphone.
Where are you guys from that this is happening? It works fine in San Francisco and Chicago where I normally go...

----------

Apple Maps has been dead-on balls accurate for me.

It's an industry term.

LMAO. I wish I could like this post!

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
what would make you think that you can enter 433 E46th St???

Any logical search engine would assume that to mean "E46" Street, not East 46th Street. I don't type "EArapahoe Ave" to search for Arapahoe Ave. I don't type WBroadway to search for Broadway, so I still am confused why you think that apple should know to separate an arbitrary letter you add to the beginning of your street names in its search. when you look for something on google do you type "How to make AMovie"?? NO, you type "how to make a movie" Do you search for "HowOld Is the EiffelTower"? NO, you separate your individual words, why should a map search be any different?

I can understand that apple maps are not perfect, but your decision to merge two separate words into one is not a problem with maps, it's a problem with your ability to use a search engine.

Yet entering that address in every other gps system as Exx st works perfectly fine. So what are you talking about? Logical search engine lol

gentlefury

macrumors 68030
Jul 21, 2011
Los Angeles, CA
Just because some tech blogs made rash, snap judgements on maps when it first came out, why do people have to go on saying it sucks. Apple maps kills google in every way.

The Phazer

macrumors 68030
Oct 31, 2007
London, UK
Just because some tech blogs made rash, snap judgements on maps when it first came out, why do people have to go on saying it sucks. Apple maps kills google in every way.

Because we're not blind and stupid?

Maps is unforgivably bad. Still. Apple has done no meaningful fixing of it's data which is junk in the UK.

chibamac

macrumors 6502
Jan 10, 2009
Ridiculously bad here in Ontario.. What a shame, it was designed to look very nice unlike google's maps. I'll settle for ugly maps that work properly however.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.