Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

duffman9000

macrumors 68020
Sep 7, 2003
Deep in the Depths of CA
The artist photos in the music app are odd - some of them are just .... wrong.

Here's an example from my iPhone 5; I have five albums from the band "Cream" - Eric Clapton, Jack Bruce and Ginger Baker.

I don't know who these two folk are, but they aren't Eric Clapton!

This bug happened during the iOS 6 and iOS 7 betas. I have no idea why.

Prime Mover

macrumors newbie
Dec 27, 2010
I wish I had known about this earlier, or I would not have upgraded. Music app is worthless to me, as I tend to have many albums by many artists (I have a 32GB iPhone 5, mostly filled with music). When I like a band, composer, or artist, I usually follow them and buy quite a few albums. 18 Rush albums, 8 Weather Report albums, huge assortment of John Adams music... How the hell am I going to find anything quickly? I'm looking forward to spending 3 minutes finding one track, even when I know exactly where it is!

But there's no escape... there is NO solution in the Music app, Apple has closed signing to downgrade to iOS6. Write to apple, then let's talk alternatives going forward.

There are other Music apps out there. A few even look and operate pretty closely to iOS6s apps. None of them are going to completely seamlessly integrate into iOS as the old Music app, but they come pretty close. Different apps retain different amounts of "iOSness". I think the best class are apps that are as close as they can be to the original Music app, but add functionality. There are several EQing and processing apps out there that try to become a seamless replacement and do a fairly good job. I downloaded and am using Audyssey, and it's pretty close. Many other apps were created as replacement interfaces for iOS6 Music. Thing is, I liked the iOS6 Music app! I don't want to turn my iPhone into a Zune, or make it look like a spaceship.

But, with all the iOS developers out there. You know there will soon be plenty of iOS6 Music app knockoffs out there, some of which will be very good.

So, for now, until Apple comes to their senses, that's what we need to do, and I'd love to hear what people are coming up with.

duffman9000

macrumors 68020
Sep 7, 2003
Deep in the Depths of CA
I wish I had known about this earlier, or I would not have upgraded. Music app is worthless to me, as I tend to have many albums by many artists (I have a 32GB iPhone 5, mostly filled with music). When I like a band, composer, or artist, I usually follow them and buy quite a few albums. 18 Rush albums, 8 Weather Report albums, huge assortment of John Adams music... How the hell am I going to find anything quickly? I'm looking forward to spending 3 minutes finding one track, even when I know exactly where it is!

You should file a bug. That's the only way this is going to get fixed. If the bug is closed, file it again. That's what I'm going to do.

purpleparrotuk

macrumors 65816
Jun 26, 2010
What have apple done to the music app!

What have apple done! They have removed the ability to just play one album unless you are in album view. So if I look by artist for instance it shows you all the albums but you have to play them all. So I then have to look at the album name and go to albums to play it.
Also you can no longer add an album to a playlist you have to select each track individually. Blinking stupid.

BaggieBoy

macrumors 6502a
May 29, 2012
UK
So if I look by artist for instance it shows you all the albums but you have to play them all.
Not so, when viewing all albums for an artist you can scroll down to the album you want to play and start there; no reason to play all the albums. I do think however removing the ability to go straight to an album by selecting the album thumbnail is a retrograde step.

GreyOS

macrumors 68040
Apr 12, 2012
Not so, when viewing all albums for an artist you can scroll down to the album you want to play and start there; no reason to play all the albums. I do think however removing the ability to go straight to an album by selecting the album thumbnail is a retrograde step.

If there are albums after the one you want to listen to it'll play that though. Plus the shuffle options (even those on album headers!) work across all the artist's tracks.

sk1wbw

Suspended
May 28, 2011
Williamsburg, Virginia
From my experience with Google Play Music, I wish Apple had the ability to let you download the music to your phone as part of the service. Of course, you'd have to subscribe to iTunes Match for this as Apple's service is free unlike Google Play Music, but still it would be a cool feature.

nachdenki

macrumors newbie
Sep 24, 2013
I actually like the new music app quite a bit, but I got a huge problem and I hope someone can help me out: I am using iTunes Match, and since iOS 7 the music app started showing up my downloaded songs twice (see screenshot).

The funny thing is that is works initially, but after a couple of hours (at most a day) all my songs suddenly appear twice. The only way to solve this is to completely disable iTunes match on the device, which sometimes leads to the music being kept on the device but not being recognized anymore - which means I have to completely reinstall iOS, and I don't have time to do that every single day ^^

Fun fact: When I delete one of the double songs, it simply disappears from the music list.

Any ideas? Any help? This is literally rendering my music app useless, but I depent on both the music app and iTunes Match, unfortunately! I am especially confused by this because google doesn't turn up this problem, so it seems no one besides me is experiencing this.

PS: When this happens it is also accompanied by random strangeness, like "Download all songs of this artist (2 songs)" being shown when there is nothing to download and stuff like that.

Attachments

• IMG_0862.PNG
    IMG_0862.PNG
    408.8 KB · Views: 73

mcfly88

macrumors 6502
Nov 3, 2012
I know other people are experiencing this.. but found a way to avoid the app crashing when erasing songs. start deleting songs from the last song to first, I've noticed it doesn't crash.

DaGrandMastah

macrumors 6502a
Mar 19, 2011

But there's no escape... there is NO solution in the Music app, Apple has closed signing to downgrade to iOS6. Write to apple, then let's talk alternatives going forward.

There are other Music apps out there. A few even look and operate pretty closely to iOS6s apps. None of them are going to completely seamlessly integrate into iOS as the old Music app, but they come pretty close. Different apps retain different amounts of "iOSness". I think the best class are apps that are as close as they can be to the original Music app, but add functionality. There are several EQing and processing apps out there that try to become a seamless replacement and do a fairly good job. I downloaded and am using Audyssey, and it's pretty close. Many other apps were created as replacement interfaces for iOS6 Music. Thing is, I liked the iOS6 Music app! I don't want to turn my iPhone into a Zune, or make it look like a spaceship.

But, with all the iOS developers out there. You know there will soon be plenty of iOS6 Music app knockoffs out there, some of which will be very good.

So, for now, until Apple comes to their senses, that's what we need to do, and I'd love to hear what people are coming up with.

I am in the exact same boat as you. This isn't a solution by any means but the album view will (somewhat) give you what you want by allowing you to pick an album by an artist. The problem is that it's sorted by name so all the albums are mixed in....you can have a rush album at the bottom, one in the middle and one at the end depending on the alphabetical order. Again, not a fix but it's something.

I hate this part of the ios. Honestly, it's the ONLY thing I hate about it. I don't understand why they went with this format. I already filed a bug. How do we check if it's been fixed?

Gemütlichkeit

macrumors 65816
Nov 17, 2010
My only complaint with the new music app is that Artists albums now continue playing to the next album when finished. I actually liked when the album was done and stopped playing. 99% of the time I search for music I'm using artist and not by album.

DaGrandMastah

macrumors 6502a
Mar 19, 2011
You should file a bug. That's the only way this is going to get fixed. If the bug is closed, file it again. That's what I'm going to do.

DO you have the link for submitting a bug? I did it once but can't find it. Also, how do you check if it's been fixed?

theycallmetc

macrumors newbie
Feb 8, 2013
I had a random problem where the artist image that the music app displays isn't the actual artist. Is there a way to change it? Most, if not all of my music is ripped straight from CDs, not bought on iTunes.

nachdenki

macrumors newbie
Sep 24, 2013
I had a random problem where the artist image that the music app displays isn't the actual artist. Is there a way to change it? Most, if not all of my music is ripped straight from CDs, not bought on iTunes.

What I've read in the Apple Forums the new music app pulls those automatically - but not always correctly. Right now, this seems to be a bug and there is no way to change it.
I hope they will show album cover in the future, the artist images are not really helping in finding the correct artist even if they are correct.

narly

macrumors newbie
Oct 13, 2008
Ok, so I've now been playing with the music.app for about three days, and can safely say these are the downright stupid things that Apple have done with their Music App;

1) No ability to delete artist/album, only able to delete one song at a time
2) No ability to collapse the artist or album view - everything is listed
3) No ability to sort the albums per artist other than in chronological order
4) No Repeat Album in Artist view, this is only available when you list Albums
5) No continuation of music after a few hours when you pause a track. When you press play on headphones ALL music on the iPhone is played on shuffle regardless of what you listening to
6) No indication on the home page that you are playing music.

Huge leap backwards for what is essentially the core app of the phone, after all Apple released a perfect iPod, and then tacked on a sub par Phone when they first released the iPhone.

Orlandoech

macrumors 68040
Jun 2, 2011
Ok, so I've now been playing with the music.app for about three days, and can safely say these are the downright stupid things that Apple have done with their Music App;

1) No ability to delete artist/album, only able to delete one song at a time
2) No ability to collapse the artist or album view - everything is listed
3) No ability to sort the albums per artist other than in chronological order
4) No Repeat Album in Artist view, this is only available when you list Albums
5) No continuation of music after a few hours when you pause a track. When you press play on headphones ALL music on the iPhone is played on shuffle regardless of what you listening to
6) No indication on the home page that you are playing music.

Huge leap backwards for what is essentially the core app of the phone, after all Apple released a perfect iPod, and then tacked on a sub par Phone when they first released the iPhone.

7. No shuffle in genre, Siri is the only workaround.

Last edited:

Orlandoech

macrumors 68040
Jun 2, 2011
8. Artwork in artist view can be wrong / not using artwork attached to files.

9. Bug/glitch when adding music to iPhone, then changing the ID3 tags and adding the music back the iPhone doesn't update/take the changes, even if you delete the music from the phone prior.

xlost6

macrumors 6502
Feb 28, 2011
I actually like the new music app quite a bit, but I got a huge problem and I hope someone can help me out: I am using iTunes Match, and since iOS 7 the music app started showing up my downloaded songs twice (see screenshot).

The funny thing is that is works initially, but after a couple of hours (at most a day) all my songs suddenly appear twice. The only way to solve this is to completely disable iTunes match on the device, which sometimes leads to the music being kept on the device but not being recognized anymore - which means I have to completely reinstall iOS, and I don't have time to do that every single day ^^

Fun fact: When I delete one of the double songs, it simply disappears from the music list.

Any ideas? Any help? This is literally rendering my music app useless, but I depent on both the music app and iTunes Match, unfortunately! I am especially confused by this because google doesn't turn up this problem, so it seems no one besides me is experiencing this.

PS: When this happens it is also accompanied by random strangeness, like "Download all songs of this artist (2 songs)" being shown when there is nothing to download and stuff like that.

How did you solve this because I have duplicate albums in my iTunes Match library that I can't remove even when I turn iTunes Match off and on. It's very frustrating and I hate the feature where it plays the next album without my permission.

nachdenki

macrumors newbie
Sep 24, 2013
How did you solve this because I have duplicate albums in my iTunes Match library that I can't remove even when I turn iTunes Match off and on. It's very frustrating and I hate the feature where it plays the next album without my permission.

Unfortunately, I did not solve this at all. It just persists. Are the duplicate albums disappearing when you turn off "Show All Music" ? Because if they are not I think this might be a separate issue, I suppose maybe a re-install of iOS might help you (just a guess).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.