Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

xlost6

macrumors 6502
Feb 28, 2011
Unfortunately, I did not solve this at all. It just persists. Are the duplicate albums disappearing when you turn off "Show All Music" ? Because if they are not I think this might be a separate issue, I suppose maybe a re-install of iOS might help you (just a guess).

Thanks. I ended up deleting the duplicate album from iTunes Match and uploaded it again and that seems to have solved the problem :D

Heckle0

macrumors newbie
Sep 25, 2013
Has anyone seen the issue where you have the phone in portrait listening to music and when you switch it to landscape the screen shows a completely different song being played even though its still playing the song from portrait mode?

Martron

macrumors regular
Sep 9, 2007
It's baffling how they've ruined what was pretty much a perfect app. At the very least, it should be more customizable (like pretty much everything else in ios 7) with options to restore it to how it was pre 7.

From what I've been reading this has been the biggest complaint of ios 7, and really it's the only one I personally have, but it also seems that people have been complaining bout it since it was in beta, so I'm not sure that Apple really intends to change it.

DaGrandMastah

macrumors 6502a
Mar 19, 2011
Has anyone heard anything from Apple about the music app???? I know people have submitted bug notices throught he developer section. Any luck receiving a response?

RobbyIdol

macrumors regular
Mar 20, 2012
I'm sure to some folks it seems petty to get so up in arms of the new Music app, but for me, my iPhone is more of an iPod that takes phone calls occasionally than it is a phone!

More than any other app, I use the Music app on my phone all day. Between that and podcasts, it's the sole reason why I swore allegiance to Apple and iPhones ever since owning one and walking away from the Droid world. Until iOS 7, Apple's music players (both iPhone/iPod and iTunes before version 11.1) were the absolute gold standard in digital music libraries and players. I always found the Droid's music app to be clunky, and the EQ settings to mess up the sound for the worse more than not.

First, iTunes took a major hit with version 11.1, which in my opinion is one clunky, unintuitive, flashy P.O.S. The new iTunes store feels like I'm staring at a bunch of billboards instead of racks of albums.

Then the iOS 7 Music app dropped the ball worse than I could have ever imagined. Until iOS 7, I loved Apple and their media players so much that I upgraded without hesitation. No, I wasn't a developer nor was I only websites like this one reading about the early Beta versions of iOS 7 over the last few months. Like most consumers, I was blissfully enjoying my iOS 6 waiting with high hopes for Apple's next move. They only improved every year thus far, so why would the train stop now?

Ugh.

I went back to iOS 6 and I have no plans to upgrade to 7 ever, if I can help it. In fact, if iOS 7 (or 8 or 9) does not show drastic improvement by the time I need a new phone, I may give Droid or other competitors a fresh chance again.

#FirstWorldProblems, for sure. But hey, if I'm paying Apple the money that I am for their products, they better be worth it to me!

nachdenki

macrumors newbie
Sep 24, 2013
Has anyone heard anything from Apple about the music app???? I know people have submitted bug notices throught he developer section. Any luck receiving a response?
No, no response yet, but I suppose their bug system is flooded right now. Also, my personal guess is that apple knew of most of those bugs beforehand anyway, but simply didn't have time to fix them.

I'm sure to some folks it seems petty to get so up in arms of the new Music app, but for me, my iPhone is more of an iPod that takes phone calls occasionally than it is a phone!

More than any other app, I use the Music app on my phone all day. Between that and podcasts, it's the sole reason why I swore allegiance to Apple and iPhones ever since owning one and walking away from the Droid world. Until iOS 7, Apple's music players (both iPhone/iPod and iTunes before version 11.1) were the absolute gold standard in digital music libraries and players. I always found the Droid's music app to be clunky, and the EQ settings to mess up the sound for the worse more than not.

First, iTunes took a major hit with version 11.1, which in my opinion is one clunky, unintuitive, flashy P.O.S. The new iTunes store feels like I'm staring at a bunch of billboards instead of racks of albums.

Then the iOS 7 Music app dropped the ball worse than I could have ever imagined. Until iOS 7, I loved Apple and their media players so much that I upgraded without hesitation. No, I wasn't a developer nor was I only websites like this one reading about the early Beta versions of iOS 7 over the last few months. Like most consumers, I was blissfully enjoying my iOS 6 waiting with high hopes for Apple's next move. They only improved every year thus far, so why would the train stop now?

Ugh.

I went back to iOS 6 and I have no plans to upgrade to 7 ever, if I can help it. In fact, if iOS 7 (or 8 or 9) does not show drastic improvement by the time I need a new phone, I may give Droid or other competitors a fresh chance again.

#FirstWorldProblems, for sure. But hey, if I'm paying Apple the money that I am for their products, they better be worth it to me!
Well, while I agree with you that the music app right now is one large pile of... I suppose iOS 7.1 will fix most of the issues.

me7

macrumors regular
Sep 18, 2013
Well, while I agree with you that the music app right now is one large pile of... I suppose iOS 7.1 will fix most of the issues.

iTunes 11.1 didn't fix the problems introduced by iTunes 11. Probably because people didn't complain enough.

IMO, iTunes 11 was a step back, but it was a step back I could live with. I don't use iTunes as much as I use my iPod.
The new iOS7 music app, however, is way worse. If you want it fixed, write a feedback to Apple. Tell them that the app is broken and that you have no intention to buy a new iPhone/iPod if the problems aren't fixed.

http://www.apple.com/feedback/

taps-1975

macrumors newbie
Oct 13, 2009
iPad Lyrics

I have read contradictory posts on this - is it possible to view lyrics in iPad Music App? Works on my iPhone but tapping the art on iPad just toggles the rating (no lyrics).

GWLBE

macrumors newbie
Sep 23, 2013
Long term lurker here, 1st post. I have owned every Iphone since the original, and I must say I'm very disappointed with the Music App. I have a 64 gb 5. I shell out the coin to have the largest space available for my music collection. Streaming is ok, but I prefer to have my collection in my pocket which is cool. I typically shuffle all songs which includes music videos. Music Videos play fine in portrait, but when in landscape the album wall pops up. You can't put a playlist in the Video App so that won't work. Apple sells music videos so why would they not let you see them when they are played in the music app. Any work arounds?

RobbyIdol

macrumors regular
Mar 20, 2012

Possibly, depending on how important they think the Music app is. They could think the Music app is "New & Improved!" and "Better than ever!" for all we know :rolleyes:

Only time will tell. And really, this app's performance really impacts my decision to ever buy an iPhone or iPod again. I used to think about selling my iPod Touch 4G, but now I've reloaded that little guy with all my music and won't let him and his beautiful iOS 6 go!

Tyler23

macrumors 603
Dec 2, 2010
Atlanta, GA
Long term lurker here, 1st post. I have owned every Iphone since the original, and I must say I'm very disappointed with the Music App. I have a 64 gb 5. I shell out the coin to have the largest space available for my music collection. Streaming is ok, but I prefer to have my collection in my pocket which is cool. I typically shuffle all songs which includes music videos. Music Videos play fine in portrait, but when in landscape the album wall pops up. You can't put a playlist in the Video App so that won't work. Apple sells music videos so why would they not let you see them when they are played in the music app. Any work arounds?

Watch videos in the Videos app?

Man on the moon

macrumors regular
Jun 7, 2010
Los Angeles
That the damn music app loses the pink alphabet to the right of the screen if you turn off "Show all music" in settings/Music. (Under Artist category)

Also the album sorting, scrolling down with artist that has multiple albums is a bit annoying as oppose to choosing specific album.

People who have a large library on iphone will understand.

I do not want to show all music and i should still have the alphabet instead of scrolling from A-Z.

CapeCodKid

macrumors newbie
Sep 26, 2013
Signing Out of "iTunes & App Store" May Be the Key

For some reason Apple decided it a good idea to ignore your tag edits and use their own for album titles and artwork in album view. For example, I normally erase "(Deluxe Version)" and edits I made such as adding "- Single or - EP" no longer exists. Idk, why the hell they would do this. half of their tags are incorrect or just messy. Is there any way, to avoid this?? I want my own tags, I've spent hours organizing my music and now its all a mess.

This was a problem for me too. After hours of troubleshooting I found something that may work for you.

Try this:
  1. On your iPhone/iPad/iPhone go to "Settings>iTunes & App Store".
  2. Click on your Apple ID (in blue text) and choose "Sign Out".
  3. When you're signed out delete the incorrectly named album(s) from the iPhone/iPad/iPod;
  4. Edit your album(s) name in your iTunes library to your liking (if not done already);
  5. Move the song(s) and(or) entire album(s) from your iTunes library back to your iPhone/iPad/iPod.
Your edits should now move to your iPhone/iPad/iPod. You can then sign back in to "iTunes & App Store" and your changes will hold.

This also works with artist pictures. I did not like the stock images (or random album art) iTunes associated with my artists - I wanted album art instead, but I wanted the choice of which album art is associated with the artist.

After you sign out of your Apple ID (same as above):
  1. Remove the album(s) associated with the artist from your iPhone/iPad/iPod;
  2. Move the song/album from your iTunes library back to your iPhone/iPad/iPod, however, the FIRST ALBUM you move over to your iPhone/iPad/iPod will be associated with that artist.
For example, I have seven AC/DC albums but I want the cover of "Back in Black" to be associated with AC/DC on my iPhone's artist listing. After I've signed out of my Apple ID, I transfer "Back in Black" to my iPhone first and then the other six albums in any order. "Back in Black" will be the album picture associated with AC/DC on the artist page.

Not sure if this is a bug or how Apple intended this to be, but this works for me. Hopefully it can for you too.

Cygnus311

macrumors regular
May 6, 2006
Count me in as another one that hates the changes to Artist/Album display and everything associated with them mentioned on the last couple of pages. I have artists that have 20 or 30 albums. Why would I want to scroll through these with all songs displayed? Why would I want fewer artists displayed at once with big random pictures of the artist? So many stupid, backwards decisions with the Music app.

Also, is it just me or did they squish the back/play/forward buttons together again? Those buttons are too close together and you really have to be careful when using your thumb to pause that you don't hit forward or backward.

Lazlow

macrumors regular
Sep 6, 2007
I really hate all the changes made in the Music app in iOS 7. I, like others, use my iPhone just as much as an iPod as I do as a phone.

• Why is there so much album art everywhere? I went from being able to see 8 artists / albums on my screen at a time when browsing to 3.5. Consequently it takes me forever to scroll through things now.
• Tapping on an artist or composer shows you every single album with its tracklist expanded, meaning you have to scroll through every track to get through an album at the bottom. Just stupid.
• When you tap on a genre, it shows you a list of artists in that genre. When you tap on that artist, it shows you all the music in your library by that artist - not just the ones in that genre. News flash: sometimes artists make music in different genres, Apple.
• On that note, no way to list all the songs in a particular genre, something I like to do frequently and just put the whole genre on shuffle.
• I'm forced to use the terrible Podcasts app instead of accessing them from within Music.
• Now that the scrubbing bar is on the bottom of the screen vs. the top, you have to drag your thumb upwards to get to half- or quarter-speed scrubbing, and in the process, your thumb blocks your vision of the scrubbing bar... so you can't see how much you're scrubbing...

The whole Music app feels like some summer interns made it. Here are some side-by-side shots of the Remote app (which, as of writing this, retained the 6.0 feel) and the new iOS 7 Music app. Now, c'mon Apple, which of these makes the most sense?

IMG_3955.PNG
IMG_3957.PNG

IMG_3956.PNG
IMG_3958.PNG

jon3543

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2010
Here are some side-by-side shots of the Remote app (which, as of writing this, retained the 6.0 feel) and the new iOS 7 Music app. Now, c'mon Apple, which of these makes the most sense?

The Remote App hasn't yet "caught up" with Music WRT the browsing interface, but it actually got brain-damaged WRT not respecting album boundaries for playback and shuffle when you enter through its Artists view back in January. Someone at Apple deeply believes people want the Artists view to create an implicit playlist of all songs by that Artist, organized by album, but with playback and shuffle ignoring album boundaries. I hope everyone is going here to tell them differently:

http://www.apple.com/feedback

noobinator

macrumors 604
Jun 19, 2009
Los Angeles, CA
This may have been covered multiple times in this thread already but it's huge so bear with me.

How do I delete songs/artists from the music app? I delete a song but the artist/album still shows and the song shows with an icloud download symbol. I have all kinds of music I've downloaded over the years that I don't want to have appear in my app.

ErikGrim

macrumors 603
Jun 20, 2003
Brisbane, Australia
This may have been covered multiple times in this thread already but it's huge so bear with me.

How do I delete songs/artists from the music app? I delete a song but the artist/album still shows and the song shows with an icloud download symbol. I have all kinds of music I've downloaded over the years that I don't want to have appear in my app.
Turn off Show All Music in settings.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.