iOS 7 performance on iPhone 4?

Discussion in 'iOS 7' started by peanutismint, Sep 18, 2013.

1. macrumors 6502

I'm currently running jailbroken 5.1.1 on my iPhone 4. Never bothered to update to iOS 6 but now fancying iOS 7. I've found my phone has become more and more sluggish over the years, and if I upgrade to iOS 7 I'm worried that's going to become worse and worse.

Anybody know what performance of iOS 7 is like on an iPhone 4?

2. Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

You'll lose your jailbreak and I suspect it will be slower then iOS5 though I have no concrete evidence of this, just my opinion

3. macrumors member

iOS 7 is really bad on an iPhone 4. If your jailbreak is running well then dont even bother...

The lag is really really bad...

4. thread starter macrumors 6502

Hmmm sounds a bit sketchy.... Thanks for the heads-up.

Can I ask, is this something you've found from running the beta on an iPhone 4 or just 'heard about'?

5. macrumors 6502

Try it, you still have time to do downgrate to 5.1.1. Just save your shsh blobs with Tinyumbrella.

6. thread starter macrumors 6502

Do you mean I can downgrade back to 5.1.1 from the beta or from the official iOS 7 release?? I think I looked into trying iOS 6 in the past but decided not to after I found some reason why I wouldn't be able to downgrade back to 5.1.1, even with the shsh blobs....??

7. macrumors 6502

On the iPhone4 you can always downgrade using shsh blobs. On the 4S and 5 you can't.

8. macrumors 6502a

Ashin

I'm using it. As smooth, if not smoother than iOS6... in particular in apps is smoother, Safari, Email etc... all so good to use

9. macrumors 68020

Cannot use TinyUmbrella with 5.1.1. now (6.1.3 OK)
    He can use iFaith for Windows

I think how well your iPhone runs with 7 depends on how the install went.

Perhaps one needs to do a clean wipe of phone, reset to factory, and then install.

10. macrumors 6502

If you have Cydia, save blobs within Cydia. Thats enough.

11. thread starter macrumors 6502

Anybody else know if this is accurate?

Well that's good to hear.... Maybe I'll try it! Thanks.

I think this was the problem I was having when I was thinking of upgrading to iOS 6... Looking at TinyUmbrella now, it says I have SHSHs saved for 5.1.1, 5.1.1b, 6.0, 6.0b1-4 and 6.1.3.... but I don't really know what that means (not really au fait with the JB scene!)

I do have Cydia, but when I loaded up TinyUmbrella just now it suggested I disable requesting SHSHs from Cydia.....??

12. macrumors 6502

Download latest TinyUmbrella, check Request SHSH from Cydia, and try to save it.

13. macrumors 68000

JarScott

Running the GM on my iPhone 4 and what I'll say is I can't wait to get my 5s. iOS 7 dates the 4 by about another three years, no transparency or parallax effects. Sluggish animations and transitions. It's works fine, but you'll notice the 4 struggling and it'll probably grate on you.

14. thread starter macrumors 6502

Ok....I won't break anything if it doesn't work, right?

15. macrumors 6502

You won't. :) Post screenshot from TinyUmbrella here.

16. thread starter macrumors 6502

Hmm that's kinda what I was afraid of.... I'm tempted by a 5S (and to be honest, even the 5C looks kinda fun!) but like I said, I have some incompatible hardware accessories that I use all the time....

What about if I found a cheap (presumably, now that the new ones are out) 4S instead? Would that be enough of a power boost to run iOS 7 comfortably?

----------

Ok, I re-selected 'Request SHSH from Cydia' and then changed the save directory so I could see what was in there (the one starting with '.' was hidden on Mac...).

So now I don't have quite as many listed in my 'saved SHSHs' window but still a few:

[​IMG]

----------

Also, when I change the save directory back to '.shsh' it shows the others it has saved; some are bold and some aren't - I'm not sure what this means?

[​IMG]

17. macrumors 68000

JarScott

Haven't seen iOS 7 running on a 4S but I think there was a thread similar to this one hanging around for the 4S. I imagine it runs smoother but don't know if it has the visual effects that the 5, 5c and 5s will have.

18. macrumors 68000

My girlfriends 4S has all the same visual effects my 5 has. Has the life photo filters, dynamic wallpaper, blurring, etc.

19. macrumors 6502

peanutismint, you have .shsh blobs to go back to 5.1.1 anytime. (both on Cydia server and your computer now)

You can freely download 7.0 GM and test it on your iPhone. :)

20. macrumors 68000

I put iOS 7 on my moms iPhone 4 and it runs just as well as iOS 6 did. You aren't going to get lag free performance on a 3 year old phone. But it didn't seem to run any worse than before.

21. macrumors regular

pauliaK

One of the reasons why your phone is more and more sluggish is because apps are getting heavier and more power hungry with every update and new feature. It's not just a new version of iOS. I perfectly remember how I updated my device from iOS4 to 5 without any significant loss in speed, same thing with a transition to iOS6. I have witnessed a loss of speed while using it though, especially during the past year while updating all the apps, so I'd rather say that's the biggest issue, but there's nothing you can do about, unless you may want to stop updating your apps as well as operating system if speed is a priority over functionality for you.

22. thread starter macrumors 6502

Great, thanks! :) Maybe I'll give iOS 7 a try after all....

----------

Thanks, I fear it's a little too late for that now though...!! :) But yeah, the sluggishness does annoy me a little... I guess that's just the way of things as apps become more powerful. It's also a nice little side-effect for Apple to persuade people to buy newer, more powerful hardware...!!

23. macrumors newbie

Irrelevant

24. macrumors 68000

How so? The OP asked "What about if I found a cheap (presumably, now that the new ones are out) 4S instead? Would that be enough of a power boost to run iOS 7 comfortably?"

I was simply providing the info of the features of the 4S. But thanks for your comment!

25. thread starter macrumors 6502

Come on now guys, play nice! :)