Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

antonis

macrumors 68020
Jun 10, 2011
I'm sorry but who is this Slash person that everyone keeps talking about?

He's the father of paths. Thanks to him we can have nested folders. If it wasn't him, we'd keep all our files in the same folder. :D

I think he also plays guitar sometimes.

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002
But be prepared for more. This year more than any other we'll witness Apples ability to sell premium vaporware.

To quote Arcade Fire: You seem to like "using great big words that [you] don’t understand. For a product to be "vaporware" it has to 1) be officially announced as such & 2) the stated ship date has to be significantly missed to the point people doubt it ever will. I don't know of any products Apple has announced this year, only broad ambiguous statements & lots of unsourced rumor mill fodder. Do tell us your concrete info & source. Make news here.

You can doubt Tim Cook, fair enough based on his record to-date. But it's a bit far fetched to suggest he is going to start announcing product that will never exist.

tazz3

macrumors regular
Apr 26, 2013
Bloomberg west news channel just did a story on ios7.
But i missed it because they talked about Facebook for 20 minutes
Any body see it

autrefois

macrumors 65816
If only apple had enough money to hire more engineers :(
Exactly.

twigman08 said:
Sadly it is not that easy. No matter if they have a Computer Science degree, or even if they were a Doctor of Computer Science (though for a project like this, that wouldn't be "special" to have) and had 5+ years of industry experience you can't just hire someone off the street and the next day they can jump right into this big project that is entering crunch mode and whip off code like that

Good grief! Hiring more painters to put 6 coats of varnish on my livingroom floor won't get it done any quicker. Software development consists of a series of events, not parallel. A critical path needs to be followed, each step dependent on completion of the previous. Throwing more people at it would only result in something akin to the Apple Maps app.

anyone who thinks hiring people off the street no matter what the credentials are is going to speed or fix things has clearly never worked in project management or software development so it would be best not to make ignorant comments like these

It amazes me how short-sighted people are. Every time this straightforward and logical solution is proposed, the same reply comes up defending the idea that the richest tech company in the world can't actually put sufficient resources into properly developing its software and/or online services.

If they are once again pulling people off of one project (OS X) to work on another (iOS), then they simply don't have enough people.

Maybe they can't get people hired and working productively on iOS 7 or OS 10.9 in time to make a difference for this release cycle. Let's just suppose this is the case for the sake of argument. What about preparing for the next release cycle, then? Does this mean they should never hire enough people so they have enough of an iOS team and an OS X team that they don't have to keep pulling people from one project and putting them another (and thus delaying the other project)?

There are 7+ billion people in the world. Some of these people actually write software for a living. I find it hard to believe that there is no one else with the right credentials who, given 6 months or a year at Apple, could be contributing productively to Apple's software development. I'm not saying that no one from OS X should ever help out with iOS, but does one really need to be put on hold so the other can be done properly?

Rogifan said:
Um, have you seen all the software job openings on their website? It has nothing to do with Apple being too stingy to hire people.

If this is true, it's 6 years too late, but still welcome. Maybe in a year's time we may actually be able to see software development for both iPhone/iPad and the Mac going forward without having to assume that if one is being worked on, then the other is being putting on the shelf.

Last edited:

blabliblu

macrumors member
Apr 3, 2013
On time?

Was there ever a date announced?

Apple doesn't give a **** about you. A release date is not for you, it's for people working at Apple in order for the project management to follow the established route.

So yeah there is always a date for any product release.

phoenixsan

macrumors 65816
Oct 19, 2012
More evidence.....

about how iOS had grown in importance, at Mac OS X expense. It is a decission with business sense, the money right now is in iDevices.....how much longer, nobody surely knows. And also makes strong my point about 10.9 purring in mid-late 2014....

:):apple:

GregAndonian

macrumors 6502
Jul 31, 2010
Too bad Apple doesn't have the cash to hire additional engineers. :rolleyes:

(yes, I understand it takes time to get new employees up to speed and productive, so it wouldn't help right now; but they've had years to work out this particular issue)

Gah, beaten by 2 minutes. :(

WWDC sold out during the same timespan that took place between the first post and yours. Amazing! :eek:

iBug2

macrumors 601
Jun 12, 2005
If this is true, it's 6 years too late, but still welcome. Maybe in a year's time we may actually be able to see software development for both iPhone/iPad and the Mac going forward without having to assume that if one is being worked on, then the other is being putting on the shelf.

They have been hiring people, they never stopped. Or do you not remember Jobs talking about the bigger space they will need since they keep hiring more and more people and renting more and more space but it is not enough so ghey will need the space ship campus?

iMcLovin

macrumors 68000
Feb 11, 2009
september ? :( I was hoping something would happen in the apple world in the first half year of 2013. but I guess apple has a new tradition, too keep everything to end of each year....just pile it all up. Guess at least its easy to know when to buy/wait :)

michelepri

macrumors 6502a
May 27, 2007
Rome, Paris, Berlin
So in 2 years Apple will make phones and Microsoft will have the best computer OS again. Some mac users are starting to flirt with Windows 8 already, which is also touch screen. Mac OSX needs many fixes.

sulpfiction

macrumors 68040
Aug 16, 2011
Philadelphia Area
Nothing has been announced. How the hell are we talking about it being late yet. This speculation is so ridiculous.

C'mon..everyone is expecting a preview of iOS 7 at WWDC. And although no one knows anything for sure, if WWDC comes and goes with no mention of iOS 7, people will be pissed. And if iOS 7 was delayed, then so would the 5S most likely. "On time" is in line with whenever the 5S is to be released. So internally, "on time" means something. Just because we don't know when that is, doesn't matter one bit.

LithePanther

macrumors 6502
Sep 22, 2011
The issue with Apple having enough money to hire more workers is, actually, not true.

A large portion of Apple's finances are tied up in their overseas projects, locations, etc, etc.

Apple doesn't want to bring that money back to the US because that money would end up getting double-taxed - it was taxed already by the country it was earned in, and would get taxed again by the US government, which has the highest tax % of money being brought into a country from another in the world.

iBug2

macrumors 601
Jun 12, 2005
The issue with Apple having enough money to hire more workers is, actually, not true.

A large portion of Apple's finances are tied up in their overseas projects, locations, etc, etc.

Apple doesn't want to bring that money back to the US because that money would end up getting double-taxed - it was taxed already by the country it was earned in, and would get taxed again by the US government, which has the highest tax % of money being brought into a country from another in the world.

LMAO. Good one, if meant as a joke post.

the8thark

macrumors 601
Apr 18, 2011
If they are once again pulling people off of one project (OS X) to work on another (iOS), then they simply don't have enough people.

This could be true or . . .

They could have a flexible number. ie instead of having set numbers for OSX and iOS separately, Apple has a total number of workers for OSX and iOS combined. And Apple just take one off one project and put them on the other whenever the need arises. It's happened in the past. And I'm sure it's nothing to worry about.

gatearray

macrumors 65816
Apr 24, 2010
If only apple had enough money to hire more engineers :(

This is a very common misconception I've heard many times before.

It's not a question of money— it's just not that simple, the talent pool is just not available, and having teams of 1000 engineers is not a good idea.

Unless you're like Samsung, who apparently put 1000 monkeys in a room at typewriters hoping to come up with Shakespeare. Hence, their latest "feature list" that looks like the cat stepped on the keyboard. :)

macfacts

macrumors 601
Oct 7, 2012
Cybertron
He does do more than 1 word. He writes responses to articles and even does product reviews on his site.

The 1-word "Yep" or "Nope" are just when he's directly confirming/denying an Apple rumor based on inside information. Going into more detail in those cases could probably get someone in trouble.

When he reviewed the iPad mini, he said it was only $30 more than the nexus 7. This is how informed he is.

Edit: $50, not $30. http://www.loopinsight.com/2012/10/30/review-ipad-mini/

Ceviche Lover

macrumors 6502
Jul 15, 2012
Exactly.

It amazes me how short-sighted people are. Every time this straightforward and logical solution is proposed, the same reply comes up defending the idea that the richest tech company in the world can't actually put sufficient resources into properly developing its software and/or online services.

Maybe they can't get people hired and working productively on iOS 7 or OS 10.9 in time to make a difference for this release cycle. Let's just suppose this is the case for the sake of argument. What about preparing for the next release cycle, then? Does this mean they should never hire enough people so they have enough of an iOS team and an OS X team that they don't have to keep pulling people from one project and putting them another (and thus delaying the other project)?

There are 7+ billion people in the world. Some of these people actually write software for a living. I find it hard to believe that there is no one else with the right credentials who, given 6 months or a year at Apple, could be contributing productively to Apple's software development. I'm not saying that no one from OS X should ever help out with iOS, but does one really need to be put on hold so the other can be done properly?

short-sighted? you are the one who is short-sighted if you believe throwing more people into the mix is going to make things right.

1)apple has $145 BILLION in cash. if they thought hiring more people would be the answer, then they would do it. can you give me one good reason why they wouldn't? ill tell you why, because(like many others in this thread) realize throwing more people to develop an already complex OS is just asking for disaster. you stick with the people that know how to do it. how many other companies do you know that have $145 billion in cash? when you work on project management and software development(especially under pressure to hit target dates), simply throwing more people into the mix isn't the best idea.

2)why do you or anyone else care if apple pulls engineers from OSX to IOS? the article states IOS will ship 'on time'. does the article state OSX wont ship on time because of it?

3)they pulled OSX engineers from to develop IOS once before, how did that work out for them? 500 million IOS devices sold to date. i have no problem with them pulling engineers once again because it clearly has worked for them in the past.

not really sure why people in this thread are whining about this, the article states IOS will ship on time. nowhere in the article does it say the next release of OSX will be delayed because of it. i guess people just like to complain.:rolleyes:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.