Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

drblank

macrumors regular
Feb 12, 2006
[/COLOR]
Slash is wearing a Chang beer shirt. I happen to also own a Chang beer shirt. I'm gonna go grab a guitar. I'll report back if there are any other similarities between us.

To me, that's too many similarities. Was that picture taken BEFORE or AFTER Slash stopped drinking?

maxosx

macrumors 68020
Dec 13, 2012
Southern California
not really sure why people in this thread are whining about this, the article states IOS will ship on time. nowhere in the article does it say the next release of OSX will be delayed because of it. i guess people just like to complain.:rolleyes:
I don't see it as whining.

This is a forum of public opinion, therefore it's simply a matter of people expressing themselves. Some have negative outlooks and others are positive.

It's all a matter of individuality.

MadDawg2020

macrumors 6502
Jun 20, 2012
ummm

Okay, even for a rumors site this story is a bit far fetched.

How does a product that has not even been officially announced yet, let alone given a release date, have a problem with shipping 'on time' ?

tekno

macrumors 6502a
Oct 15, 2011
Why can't Apple employ/train more people so engineers from other departments don't have to 'pitch in' when there are problems?

I remember several years ago waiting anxiously for the new OS X only to read that it was delayed as all engineers had to halt all projects in order to work on problems with iPhone OS.

antonis

macrumors 68020
Jun 10, 2011
Why can't Apple employ/train more people so engineers from other departments don't have to 'pitch in' when there are problems?

I remember several years ago waiting anxiously for the new OS X only to read that it was delayed as all engineers had to halt all projects in order to work on problems with iPhone OS.

Well, it happens to all companies every now and then, when specific needs rise. It's almost impossible to have the exact number of human resources assigned in each department, every single time. And no company is willing to pay spare people that will not need all the time, just to be there for when deadlines are near expired. So what's left is adjustments (e.g. moving people across departments) to do the job.

Winni

macrumors 68040
Oct 15, 2008
Germany.

Throwing more money and more developers at an already late product will only delay the product further.

That being said, it should have been obvious for a couple of years now that OS X is only an afterthought in Cupertino. Apple makes its money in with the iOS ecosystem, not with Macs. The Mac business has become a rounding error in their accounting. If you had were in their position, you'd probably make the same decision: "iOS first."

However, for a company that has 140 billion USD in the bank and more than 40,000 employees (or how big are they now actually?), products are developed and released at a glacial pace. And it's not like there have been any real innovations since the release of the original iPhone and the original iPad - only small evolutionary updates, but nothing really new. Heck, even Microsoft - the company whose own customers don't even WANT innovation! - managed to completely overhaul Windows, Office, the Xbox and all their online services in the meantime.

But if you're looking for real innovation, you have to look at Mozilla and Canonical. The small guys are defining the future of mobile Internet and mobile computing - not Apple, not Microsoft, not Google.

Oh, and one last side note: Slash used to be a part of Microsoft's (Xbox) ad campaigns and he even was on stage with Bill Gates (at least) once. Interesting that nobody here mentioned this before.

JustMartin

macrumors 6502a
Feb 28, 2012
UK
The problem with being on here and not working for Apple (or not being able to say that you do) is that we don't know what's normal practise for the different phases of development.

Large software projects are typically built of smaller projects that depend on each other, typically in a pyramid shape. As you get further down the pyramid to the core modules they become so small that you can't have large numbers of people (no matter how talented) working on them because the 'room' is too small, they'd just get in each other's way. So, if I'm rewriting/testing a module that depends on something being finished at a lower level, I have to wait. So, you potentially have 100s of engineers twiddling their thumbs while someone finishes a set of API calls. Rather than have them doing nothing all day but visit rumour sites you employ them somewhere else where they can do something productive, that somewhere else being a large project at a different stage of development.

So, this may not be Apple not caring about OSX, it may not be Apple being caught out because their hiring strategy is wrong. It may be simply the normal way that Apple works.

nikaru

macrumors 65816
Apr 23, 2009
Nothing has been announced. How the hell are we talking about it being late yet. This speculation is so ridiculous.

It being late internaly. Maybe they still dont have a working demo for some of the apps they will present at WWDC. Injecting a singe code line in the OS takes 6 or 7 phases of tests, aprovements, quality checks and with every single modification the process starts all over again. Every phase can take from days, to weeks. Implemnting a single shadow for a toolbar with the exact color, saturation and animation, can take up to a month before it appear at Ive´s test unit.

Ill be excited to se Ive taking the stage to present iOS 7.

mabhatter

macrumors 65816
Jan 3, 2009
If only apple had enough money to hire more engineers :(

And that's the point really. Apple already has the number of engineers on the payroll for the project they think can effectively manage the project and do the work. In general for ANY software project, adding more workers this late is a BAD IDEA. Tim Cook has been hanging around Chinese factories too long.

At this point iOS 6 is fine. I'd be happy waiting till Christmas for iOS 7 if theyINCLUDED all the features it's supposed to have. I don't want iOS 6.9 & 1/2.

Frankly the yearly updates are either too aggressive, or too assuming people will pay for them. I just don't see the need.. I'm happy with my Apple stuff, And I'm sitting on stuff about to drop off support. (3GS & 09 MacBook)

The LAST thing I want is to buy an "almost done" product.

----------

He's just an old rock and roll hippy/Apple guy who happens to know people.

Steve Jobs was the same way.

But Steve hung out with Bono... Bono's band is WAY COOLER than Slash's band!

jaison13

macrumors 6502
Jun 20, 2003
pittsburgh
would love to see more stuff you got from the jailbreak mods. more apps on the control bar and per page. i jail broke one device but there were hiccups. i loved putting 10 apps in the dock. i rarely had to flick through pages because all the stuff you'd bounce out of an app to look at were right there.

RobertMartens

macrumors 65816
Aug 29, 2002
Tokyo, Japan
Too bad Apple doesn't have the cash to hire additional engineers. :rolleyes:

Cash and Manpower don't solve software problems.

Apple knows that, Microsoft definitely knows that.

Frankly the yearly updates are either too aggressive, or too assuming people will pay for them. I just don't see the need..

Apple isn't really trying to make money off you.
They are just making this years version for this years Mac.

If you want it too great. Or just wait two more years until you get your next Mac. And if you think that is too quick to get another computer then you really don't need this either.

But at 30 dollars how can you go wrong.

jimbo1mcm

macrumors 68000
Mar 21, 2010
Found the delay problem:

After lunch, the IOS 7 engineers have been made to go over to the Apple Campus and help mix cement.

RobertMartens

macrumors 65816
Aug 29, 2002
Tokyo, Japan
I dislike when important people say "nope" or "yep".

So you should have no problem here as he doesn't actually claim to be. As for rude comments about the man personally, you probably should just layoff. His information appears to be accurate, but he has never said how he knows. One thing for sure is, you don't know.

Last edited:

CopyCatz

macrumors newbie
Jun 23, 2009
If Slash were the lead designer on iOs it probably would have a pretty narrow field of view... Come to think of it, maybe Slash is behind the iPhone 5...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.