Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Recognition

macrumors 6502a
Jun 27, 2013
This is what I'm hoping. But there was a very similar feature a month ago (which didn't actually do that) so I'm not holding my breath.. I want it so I can bring my Apple TV to locations with no wifi and airplay netflix from my unlimited iPhone data plan... This would have come in handy just a few weeks ago... But no, my iPhone can't even feaking use the remote app without being on the same network...

I believe i found a work-around for the problem you're describing.

My friend wanted to stream from their iPhone to the ATV but didn't have a wifi network setup at their home yet.

I suggested setting up a hotspot on the iPhone and having the ATV connect to it.

It worked for me at my home, hopefully it may work for you too!

wikiverse

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2012
never had any problems so far... even my diskstation airplays videos to it without problems, even if its not an apple device.

For me it works about 60% of the time. I constantly have to reset the wireless on my iDevices.

It is very inconsistent.

Lord Hamsa

macrumors 6502a
Jul 16, 2013
What on earth would you do with 16 GB of storage? Store like 3 movies?...

Not for storing movies, but for storing apps, I believe, is the reason behind that particular wishlist item.

As far as my wish list for AirPlay is concerned, I'd like to be able to

1) Multicast AirPlay from one device to multiple receivers
2) Use iOS devices as AirPlay receivers

Take those two in combinations and you can do things like do presentations to a group of people without projectors or large-screen devices, but rather just mirror them on the devices they're already carrying with them.

Another option would be an in-car entertainment system for families that would allow multiple iOS devices to be used for display screens during the drive, and then used as regular iOS devices when you're not in the car (or in the car, but not multicasting a movie... or even if the particular passenger wants to opt out of watching the movie in lieu of doing something else with their device.) Same principle, on a larger scale, for mass transit (bus, train, airplane, etc.) options.

darkslide29

macrumors 68000
Oct 5, 2011
San Francisco, California
I believe i found a work-around for the problem you're describing.

My friend wanted to stream from their iPhone to the ATV but didn't have a wifi network setup at their home yet.

I suggested setting up a hotspot on the iPhone and having the ATV connect to it.
It worked for me at my home, hopefully it may work for you too!

Clever!

jrswizzle

macrumors 603
Aug 23, 2012
McKinney, TX
Probably needs a newer phone than the 4S. (Just a guess, I don't have iOS 8, so I can't test.)

----------

No, it uses WiFi - it just makes a direct device-to-device WiFi connection. It likely uses Bluetooth "iBeacons" to discover each other, though.

Likely similar tech to AirDrop - which uses both WiFi and BT to create a p2p connection.

Really great to see this. One of, if not the best unannounced features in iOS 8.

BrentD

macrumors 6502
Jun 25, 2010
This could also be helpful for frequent travelers in hotel rooms that have no wired connection. Most hotel wifi requires you agreeing to some sort of conditions on a portal page to get on their wifi, and the ATV doesn't do that. This way you could connect via your phone or laptop and Airplay it to the ATV to stream what you want. Of course, you could always buy the HDMI adapter for you device for less than an ATV, I suppose.

busbou66

macrumors newbie
Jun 4, 2014
Huh?

"Which means you can present or share your work even if you're offline or the organization has a complex network."

Calling corporate or campus wireless networks "complex" because Bonjour is a poorly designed protocol is *********. Apple's fix? Use BlueTooth instead of WiFi.

Lame.

jrswizzle

macrumors 603
Aug 23, 2012
McKinney, TX
This could also be helpful for frequent travelers in hotel rooms that have no wired connection. Most hotel wifi requires you agreeing to some sort of conditions on a portal page to get on their wifi, and the ATV doesn't do that. This way you could connect via your phone or laptop and Airplay it to the ATV to stream what you want. Of course, you could always buy the HDMI adapter for you device for less than an ATV, I suppose.

Exactly what I was thinking - I'm looking forward to bringing my ATV with me this month as I travel to check it out.

jayducharme

macrumors 601
Jun 22, 2006
The thick of it
This could be really great for schools that have one-to-one programs for the students or the option for teachers to use iOS devices in the classroom or lecture hall.

I've been doing just that, and because of our wonky network at the school the result has been spotty. This iOS 8 feature should fix that. Also, I discovered that I can wirelessly mirror my iPhone's camera and use it in my video class for demoing composition and camera movement, which gives me tremendous freedom. (Previously I had use a video camera physically tethered to a converter box.) It just keeps getting better and better....

MrXiro

macrumors 68040
Nov 2, 2007
Los Angeles
This doesn't make any of our previous Airplay speakers able to airplay without connecting to a wifi router first though does it? Only AppleTV?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.