Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mrbyu

macrumors 6502
Jul 5, 2011
I'm using Fleksy and it supports a ton of languages. I have Dutch and English set up as my default languages and its very easy to switch between them

You're right, I've just checked, Hungarian is indeed supported! Then I might give it a try!

MentalFloss

macrumors 65816
Mar 14, 2012
I am sorry for being so stupid, but how are those keyboards actually activated once you install them? Do they appear in the keyboard list like a new "country keyboard" and you select them via the "Globe" button on the keyboard?

Can I use a country keyboard e.g. for Japan from the stock keyboard and easily switch from there to a custom keyboard such as Swype without having to go through the Settings?

Yaboze

macrumors 6502a
May 31, 2007
The Garden State
Non Apple keyboards don't seem to have a click sound. Anyone know how to get that back? It sounds strange, but it really helps me for some reason, lol.

Adamb10

macrumors member
Dec 13, 2004
So how is SwiftKey able to offer their keyboard for free with no IAP? Are doing this out of kindness or monetizing it in other ways?

On Android Swiftkey used to cost about $4 but they made it free with the announcement of including a theme store inside the app. The Android version has IAP that let you change the color/style of the keyboard. I assume that's coming to iOS soon too.

Macula

macrumors 6502
Oct 23, 2006
All over the place
I am likewise intrigued and happy to try out these new keyboards. While still awaiting a keyboard with a tab key, I confess being alarmed by the amount of battery energy these keyboard apps have been sucking (as reported by iOS)… It might be because they phone home all too often. At any rate, battery drain and privacy considerations discourage me from continuing to use them, much as I do type much faster on them.

sza

macrumors 6502a
Dec 21, 2010
The default keyboard is the best because it is not buggy.

cwwilson

macrumors 68000
Jan 27, 2009
Oklahoma City, OK
Such a great feature, something I missed from Android. Too bad it logs all your keystrokes and even credit card numbers. That's the only thing that concerns me.

That's just ridiculous and borderline fear mongering. I've been using Swype, Swift Key and a number of other keyboards on Android for years and years and have had none of my credit card numbers or accounts compromised.

It doesn't store your passwords.

jml12286

macrumors regular
May 15, 2014
Denver
So far Ive been loving TouchPal as it has Swype like typing, easy Emoji access and color themes all for free! Also quick spanish keyboard switching.

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
Swiping and resizing both appeal to me enough to try for a while. Appearance-wise, they'll improve.

I just wish a greater number of them allowed basic functionality without enabling "full access" (network). There are very few companies I'd trust with that, and I can do without cloud frills like prefs synching. Unless a keyboard relies 100% on remote processing for learning (fair enough, if encrypted and anonymized, but I'll pass) it ought to work while remaining isolated from the Internet.

Any of these keyboards put the numbers across the top without switching screens? I'd pay a buck for that. Checked the links and no mention.

That would be great sometimes. I wish it were an option (to choose instead of the suggestions bar) on Apple's default keyboard. (And in Landscape or on 6 Plus you could fit at least one or two suggestions AND small numbers.)

Actually, a giant (taller than normal keyboard) 3rd-party numpad keyboard could be even better.

MentalFloss

macrumors 65816
Mar 14, 2012
I would never change an apple keyboard for something that originated on android.

I would say that this is silly fanboyism, but sadly, the keyboards have actually been by far the biggest annoyance on my Android tablet and have cost me quite a bit of time (and money), and I still haven't found a solution that comes anywhere close to the ease of use of the iOS stock keyboard.

CrAkD

macrumors 68040
Feb 15, 2010
Boston, MA
Swift key is super buggy so are the others I went back to the Apple keyboard cause they stopped coming up when they were supposed to

TheYellowAudi

macrumors member
I'm trying them all out; I don't have swype yet, but for $.99 or whatever, I'll try it. Honestly, I can tell the swipe-style is GONG to be faster, but it's not yet, as I get used to it. So for now, I actually still like the stock keyboard & it's new predictive text is brilliant, but I think over time, I'll like the swipe-style better.

twynne

macrumors 6502a
Apr 21, 2006
London, UK
Loving the swipe capability, but finding I miss the keyboard shortcuts that are built into iOS. The perfect solution would be a custom keyboard that both supports swipe and integrates with TextExpander. Hoping it's coming soon!

jclardy

macrumors 601
Oct 6, 2008
I tried both SwiftKey and Swype, and was not a fan. Maybe on my iPhone 6 I will appreciate them more, but for now I am sticking with Fleksy. The autocorrect is awesome and I can type so much faster with it. The only thing I don't really like is how the punctuation works.

Twimfy

macrumors 6502a
Sep 11, 2011
UK
I would never change an apple keyboard for something that originated on android.

Like wise. I installed Swiftkey on my Android Tablet and it requested access to ALL of my information. I noped straight to the un-install menu.

wdog119

macrumors member
Jun 20, 2010
Seems a few are buggy to me.

They don't show up in quick reply sometimes.

Sometimes it doesn't keep which one I had up when I close out of an app and have to reselect which one I'm using.

AndyUnderscoreR

macrumors 6502
Jul 11, 2008
Swiftkey was swiftly deleted here, not only does swiping not work at all on iPads, the app actually blocks you from posting reviews on the app store!

darkslide29

macrumors 68000
Oct 5, 2011
San Francisco, California
SwiftKey is supposed to let me drag my finger across letters without lifting my finger, right? Or is that only Swype? The promo video seems to indicate that I should be able to.

I installed the keyboard, allowed it full access, pull it up in messages, but I can't for the life of me get this feature to work. It's just one letter at at time.

EDIT: I guess the post above me answers my question. Thanks.
Swiftkey was swiftly deleted here, not only does swiping not work at all on iPads, the app actually blocks you from posting reviews on the app store!

Freyqq

macrumors 601
Dec 13, 2004
So far Ive been loving TouchPal as it has Swype like typing, easy Emoji access and color themes all for free! Also quick spanish keyboard switching.

Also, it doesn't need full access for the swype-like feature

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.