Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

GeneralChang

macrumors 68000
Dec 2, 2013
Well cool, I suppose, though I’m liking the new default keyboard enough that I haven’t felt like trying any of these out.

mrxak

macrumors 68000
I'm very happy with standard keyboard, especially since I know Apple isn't interested in what I'm typing, whereas some of these other companies are a little too interested.

I'm sure a lot of people are going to try out a few alternate keyboards, now that they can, but how many of them will still be using them in a few months?

GeneralChang

macrumors 68000
Dec 2, 2013
um. learning curve. i've been using swype for at least 6 years and do about 65wpm now - if you have the tenacity to stick with it it takes about 6 months to get reasonably good. until now, those of us coming from android and windows mobile and swype have been appalled with the slowness of input in iOS. you're never too old to learn something new. enjoy!

now that i think about it, when i switched from android to iOS last year, it was only after reading that i could install swype keyboard with a jailbreak. then to my dismay, after spending $1000 on a freaking phone, i found out that there wasn't any swypelike keyboard for iOS7 even jailbroken and i have been simmering with anger ever since, until today. if Apple had not allowed swype in this round, i never would have considered ever purchasing another iOS device ever again.

You must spend a lot to time typing on you phone.

Solamar22

macrumors member
Jun 22, 2010
x
Such a great feature, something I missed from Android. Too bad it logs all your keystrokes and even credit card numbers. That's the only thing that concerns me.

Swype is the only one that does not require that full access. Too bad I cannot use Swift Key!

T-R-S

macrumors 6502
Sep 25, 2010
Silicon Valley
It's buggy the top 3 suggestion buttons on the top row covers the qwerty line so when you press the short cut keys it actually types letters instead of the shortcut words = FAIL

warriorz

macrumors regular
Jun 25, 2010
Such a great feature, something I missed from Android. Too bad it logs all your keystrokes and even credit card numbers. That's the only thing that concerns me.
That's the only reason I'm not going to use swift key, it's just too much, full access? To everything you type, including previous, no way.

Solamar22

macrumors member
Jun 22, 2010
x
Wrong, when installing a keyboard there is a prompt ( if the developer chooses ) for "Full Access". You can decline this and as long as you do not give a keyboard "Full Access" it cannot access the network or save/share your keystrokes even with the main application the keyboard extension was installed from.

True, but Swiftkey requires Full access. Swipe does not.

iolinux333

macrumors 68000
Feb 9, 2014
You must spend a lot to time typing on you phone.

Correct. I almost never use a physical keyboard any more for any personal tasks. With swype, since I'm proficient at it, there's really no need. The iOS keyboard was forcing me to open up the MBA from time to time to get things done, it will be relegated now to more or less work use only and go back to living in a drawer.

Solamar22

macrumors member
Jun 22, 2010
x
Once again misinformed. When you install a keyboard there is a "Full Access" prompt on some of them, these are ones where the developer would like "Full Access".

You choose whether or not to give a keyboard full access. Without full access the keyboard extension is 100% sandboxed and has no network access and cannot pass any data back to the application it comes from either or any other application for that matter.

https://developer.apple.com/library...eral/Conceptual/ExtensibilityPG/Keyboard.html

But most of these keyboards (SwiftKey, Flesky) REQUIRE full access.

Edit: OK, I read it. You just convinced me to NEVER EVER IN A MILLION YEARS to allow Full Access. Thank you!

Last edited:

BrettArchibald

macrumors regular
Jul 31, 2007
Go to the keyboards in setting, click edit and move the 3rd party keyboard to the top so it always comes up first.

Aha! Thank you. The obvious solution. :)

----------

No, that doesn't have the numbers across the top as separate dedicated buttons. I'm thinking of something like the keyboard in Fantastical:
http://cdn1.tnwcdn.com/wp-content/blogs.dir/1/files/2013/10/screenshot-5-newevent.png

deez

macrumors newbie
Oct 23, 2002
LA
I tested swype and I was pretty surprised how well it worked. But after a while I noticed that even though it recognised most of the words, it took me waaay longer to write a sentence than with the regular keyboard. The problem to me was that wrong inputs take longer to recognise and correct. Well, and it was just ~90% correct.
Maybe I need to exercise a bit. Although I don't really see the point of exercising something that worked just fine before. Whatever.

The more you use it the better it gets at knowing what you want to say next and how you want to spell it. I've been on android since the G1 and have over 4 years on most of you saving my custom library so I should be right at home when my iPhone gets here. If this is your first time using it you have to stick it out for a while and give it a chance to figure you out.

I can see how if it is your first day on swype or the like how one would think it is terrible or just different. But once you get past that stage it is pretty spectacular. I'll take the pepsi challenge on my swype vs any stock typer any day. Also swype has some pretty awesome voice recognition, at least on android it did hopefully that has carried over along with my library.

MentalFloss

macrumors 65816
Mar 14, 2012
now that i think about it, when i switched from android to iOS last year, it was only after reading that i could install swype keyboard with a jailbreak. then to my dismay, after spending $1000 on a freaking phone, i found out that there wasn't any swypelike keyboard for iOS7

When I got my Galaxy Tab, to my dismay, after spending $400 on a freaking tablet, I found out that there wasn't any iOS-like keyboard on Android.

I am not joking. I couldn't believe that the stock keyboard on the Samsung tablet did not have japanese text input included. I nearly returned it until I found a keyboard that had a somewhat acceptable option for japanese input. I had taken that completely for granted on iOS. But hey, at least I can install Swype, because that is soooooooo important that some people actually "simmer with anger" if they can't get it.

GeneralChang

macrumors 68000
Dec 2, 2013
Correct. I almost never use a physical keyboard any more for any personal tasks. With swype, since I'm proficient at it, there's really no need. The iOS keyboard was forcing me to open up the MBA from time to time to get things done, it will be relegated now to more or less work use only and go back to living in a drawer.

I type a ton for a living, and I just can’t imagine being relegated to a screen that size for large amounts of text, even if you can type 65 wpm with no errors. More power to ya.

ghsDUDE

macrumors 68030
May 25, 2010
Tried them and wasn't a fan. Turned off quick text too.

Most the times it slowed me down since I needed to look at the words it was trying to predict, I can type faster than it predicts.

iolinux333

macrumors 68000
Feb 9, 2014
I type a ton for a living, and I just can’t imagine being relegated to a screen that size for large amounts of text, even if you can type 65 wpm with no errors. More power to ya.

Well ya if I was typing for a living I'd use a real keyboard too. I do 120+ WPM(tested 2 errors) on a physical keyboard. But like I said, for personal stuff it's more of a PITA to switch to a laptop than to just Swype a bit.

----------

Well ya if I was typing for a living I'd use a real keyboard too. I do 120+ WPM(tested 2 errors) on a physical keyboard. But like I said, for personal stuff it's more of a PITA to switch to a laptop than to just Swype a bit.

And I did type for a living once. Long ago.

jtp098

macrumors 6502a
Apr 19, 2010
Purchase
Once again misinformed. When you install a keyboard there is a "Full Access" prompt on some of them, these are ones where the developer would like "Full Access".

You choose whether or not to give a keyboard full access. Without full access the keyboard extension is 100% sandboxed and has no network access and cannot pass any data back to the application it comes from either or any other application for that matter.

https://developer.apple.com/library...eral/Conceptual/ExtensibilityPG/Keyboard.html

it does not work without full access... or learn in that case.

Narg

macrumors member
Jan 23, 2008
Don't like this yet....

OK, I love the idea. But so far the implementation kinda sucks. Once you have 3rd party keyboards installed, they like to take over the keyboard. Switching to them is easy, but switching out is hard and sometimes difficult. Then they like to come back without you asking them to be there. Once I switch back to my normal keyboard, I'd rather stay there until I specifically ask it to change again. I don't know if this is an Apple bug or the applications being buggy. I hope it's fixed soon. iOS 8 seems to be a bit too soon for Prime Time overall with as much bugs as I'm reading about though....

furi0usbee

macrumors 68000
Jul 11, 2008
I must be the only one content with the stock keyboard... not planning on buying any keyboard plugins.

David R

macrumors 6502
Nov 10, 2003
Orlando, FL
I downloaded several keyboards and immediately deleted them because they wanted Full Access. I don't need a different keyboard that badly when the stock one works fine for me.

But then I saw here that Swype doesn't require Full Access, but it costs $0.99 (i.e. pay us and you are no longer the product.)

So I did it, thinking I would mostly be wasting money and that I wouldn't like it, but hey, a bottle of soda costs at least that much and I buy that without thinking.

Wow! Holy crap! It took me about 30 seconds to start getting the hang of it and once I did I was blown away at how incredibly fast it lets you type, and how accurate it is. Definitely worth the money. Now I'm trying to find excuses to type just so that I can keep using it.

Thank you to those of you who suggested it (and explained it doesn't require Full Access.)

irnchriz

macrumors 65816
May 2, 2005
Scotland
Not sure I want to give any app full access to my input tbh. Default keyboard for me. It's like installing key capture software on your iPhone.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.