Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sumsingwong

macrumors 6502a
Dec 15, 2012
You seem to prefer guesswork to facts. Google offers line by line specifics for every app regarding access. Apple demands full access or the app doesn't operate as designed. Once again Apple dictates without choices. Conversely Android is full of choices. There's a huge amount of freedom.

You are correct. If you don't allow the Android app access to everything when you install or update the keyboard/app, you can forget about it. Android just tells you what it needs access to.

Max(IT)

Suspended
Dec 8, 2009
Italy
You seem to prefer guesswork to facts. Google offers line by line specifics for every app regarding access. Apple demands full access or the app doesn't operate as designed. Once again Apple dictates without choices. Conversely Android is full of choices. There's a huge amount of freedom.

There are no third party keyboard on Android without full access. It's not even a choice: you allow it or you can't install it.
You seem to understand very little about what "full access" on iOS advice means.
IOS has a much stronger security on that, since when you enter a password it revert to Apple's keyboard anyway.
And Swype keyboard doesn't even need the full access to work (I have it and I'm using it right now, with full access disabled and every function active).

You are confusing freedom with lack of security.

Btw Android, that I probably know better than you, using it since its beginning (1.5), on the last two iterations has became closer and closer on many aspects, while iOS is opening up a little bit more (under control, as usual).

Max(IT)

Suspended
Dec 8, 2009
Italy
You are correct. If you don't allow the Android app access to everything when you install or update the keyboard/app, you can forget about it. Android just tells you what it needs access to.

If you don't allow it, you can't install third party keyboards

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Pretty sure with Android you either allow all that an app requests or you simply don't install it. There is no line by line way of allowing some things but not others. With Aople you can actually grant some access but not another and change that down the line too while still having the app and using it.

Keirasplace

macrumors 601
Aug 6, 2014
Montreal

No it don't. You just declared yourself ignorant. You accept full access or don't install. That's it.

Even BlueStacks which allows you to run Android on a PC (emulates it), does just the same. Just tested it.

Last edited:

iososx

macrumors 6502a
Aug 23, 2014
USA
Pretty sure with Android you either allow all that an app requests or you simply don't install it. There is no line by line way of allowing some things but not others. With Aople you can actually grant some access but not another and change that down the line too while still having the app and using it.
Your reading and comprehension skills have failed you.

You're claiming things I didn't say.

At no time did I saying anything about allowing some lines to be executed but not others.

Every poster in the thread arguing that Apple and Android both require full permissions are revealing their lack of knowledge.

Is impossible to have a discussion with people that cling to falsehoods.

----------

If you don't allow it, you can't install third party keyboards

SWYPE doesnt require full access, one of hundreds of apps that don't in the Android ecosystem.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011

At no time did I saying anything about allowing some lines to be executed but not others.

Every poster in the thread arguing that Apple and Android both require full permissions are revealing their lack of knowledge.

----------

SWYPE doesnt require full access, one of hundreds of apps that don't in the Android ecosystem.

And what does listing out things line by line offer as far as being better if you can't select some of them and either take them all or nothing? You certainly mentioned it in the context of trying to make it appear that Android is somehow better in that respect, only to show that it isn't (and is actually worse since you either accept everything or nothing while with iOS you can revoke or not grant some permissions and still often get the use of the app).

Now if that's not what you were getting at, then it seems that what you wrote wasn't all that clear as various people appear to have interpreted it the same way that I did as well.

Last edited:

Max(IT)

Suspended
Dec 8, 2009
Italy

----------

False.
This are all permissions Swype required to be installed on Android:

Record audio
Get my approximate and precise location
Read my text messages
Full network access
Pair with Bluetooth devices
Read my contacts
Read terms I've added to the dictionary
Read call log
Read phone status and identity
Modify or delete the contents of my USB storage
Find accounts on my device
View network connections
View wifi connections
Access protected storage

As usual Android false freedom hypocrisy.....
The freedom to give someone else your data.....

Tech198

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2011
The fact that devs can record everything you type is why I refuse to use any custom keyboards.

same here, I was always reluctant to install iOS8, but the give-away of LastPass extension i just can't pass that one up.

The only thing i could say here is at least we all know Apple won't be getting all your keystrokes everytime u use the Apple keyboard.... not only on iOS, but desktop as well..

Of course not.. why would a company who makes the device also go out of their way to install a keylogger too ? :rolleyes: :apple:

Unthinkable !! :eek: We have more faith in a company who makes the devices we use than someone who only makes a extension....

I refuse to believe users don't use any extensions what so ever.

Last edited:

iososx

macrumors 6502a
Aug 23, 2014
USA
False.

Record audio
Read my text messages
Full network access
Read my contacts
Read call log
View network connections
View wifi connections
Access protected storage

The _only_ example of supreme hypocrisy is that which Apple practices.
They brag
They hype
They claim their iPad is Magical & Revolutionary
It goes on and on.
Google makes no such claims. Your suggestion they do only reveals your complete lack of knowledge in many areas.

If you're so paranoid the only solution is to sell your tech gear and get off the net immediately.

Then cancel your healthcare and other insurance policies that have already sold all your personal information to the Big Data industry which is far more dangerous and nefarious than Google is even capable of.

Oh and get out of denial about Apple, they've already made a deal with the devil and harvested and sold Touch ID data to the federal government. Too late, you're exposed.

I on the otherhand have accepted life as it is circa 2014 / 2015 without fear or paranoia. Everything is a risk I'm willing to take while practicing safe computing. :)

Tech198

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2011
Wow....

Seriously people read George Oswell's 1984 book in PDF and ePUB.

This would fall right into that what was imaged 30 odd years ago.

And the thing that is.... "it all came true" everything.

Max(IT)

Suspended
Dec 8, 2009
Italy
The _only_ example of supreme hypocrisy is that which Apple practices.
They brag
They hype
They claim their iPad is Magical & Revolutionary
It goes on and on.
Google makes no such claims. Your suggestion they do only reveals your complete lack of knowledge in many areas.

If you're so paranoid the only solution is to sell your tech gear and get off the net immediately.

Then cancel your healthcare and other insurance policies that have already sold all your personal information to the Big Data industry which is far more dangerous and nefarious than Google is even capable of.

Oh and get out of denial about Apple, they've already made a deal with the devil and harvested and sold Touch ID data to the federal government. Too late, you're exposed.

I on the otherhand have accepted life as it is circa 2014 / 2015 without fear or paranoia. Everything is a risk I'm willing to take while practicing safe computing. :)
Your response, totally avoiding the fact that you said something completely wrong about Android permissions, and your blank defense of Google policy (a company that sell user data as primary target) now clarified me about your attitude.
Thank you.

Ps: TouchID data sold ? Yes, to the Martians I presume.....

TimelessOne

macrumors regular
Oct 29, 2014
False.

Record audio
Read my text messages
Full network access
Read my contacts
Read call log
View network connections
View wifi connections
Access protected storage

and of that list I can go threw and explain why on on everyone one of those. Hell it could only be a single line of code that might require those access.

For example microphone example. I believe swype allows voice to text. That requires microphone access. Your post is what is known as FUD and you are spreading it. It is full of miss infomatation and not understanding how things work.

Android apps have to put anything they require access to in the manifest. Even if it is only one line of code that needs it. in the Keyboard example the reading SMS is needed because the keyboard can learn from you SMS. That requires SMS access. Internet and network related one are because that is one way for them to update their language DB or even learn from OMG gmail. Needs those to get there. Read write to media guess what that is for things like backups that are outside of the app itself. Those require those permisions.

Android hands are tied in changing this as it been in for so long changing it would break a lot of existing apps and would require devs to update apps to address it.

Swift key they chose to require full permision for things like language DB on iOS. They built a key part of their app disconnected launage DB from the app itself and shink the size. Updating laungage packs with out having to update the app means they do those updates with out spending thousands of dollars for an app update. App update cost that much due to the testing time before a release make sure they did not break anything as other things would keep going during that time. Plus any time you can avoid Apples update process you want to. First it takes 1 week to get threw and who knows what they will reject you for. Things you might of gotten threw multiple times before boom you are rejected for this it this time.

----------

Your response, totally avoiding the fact that you said something completely wrong about Android permissions, and your blank defense of Google policy (a company that sell user data as primary target) now clarified me about your attitude.
Thank you.

Ps: TouchID data sold ? Yes, to the Martians I presume.....

Any company that does advertisements sells your data. You know that Apple does it as well. Heck google is more clear on what they do with it and even offer more chances to opt out. Apple no such choice but Apple is selling your data.

Things otherwise is ignorant. Apple is selling your data and you have less control over it with apple..

OneMike

macrumors 603
Oct 19, 2005
He hee exactly. The fear mongers are scared of a few 3rd party apps when the entire system is designed that way. We gave up our rights immediately the internet was invented.

Not true. I agree that nothing on the internet is private, which is precisely why many want to prevent the data from potentially leaving their device in the first place.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
and of that list I can go threw and explain why on on everyone one of those. Hell it could only be a single line of code that might require those access.

For example microphone example. I believe swype allows voice to text. That requires microphone access. Your post is what is known as FUD and you are spreading it. It is full of miss infomatation and not understanding how things work.

Android apps have to put anything they require access to in the manifest. Even if it is only one line of code that needs it. in the Keyboard example the reading SMS is needed because the keyboard can learn from you SMS. That requires SMS access. Internet and network related one are because that is one way for them to update their language DB or even learn from OMG gmail. Needs those to get there. Read write to media guess what that is for things like backups that are outside of the app itself. Those require those permisions.

Android hands are tied in changing this as it been in for so long changing it would break a lot of existing apps and would require devs to update apps to address it.

Swift key they chose to require full permision for things like language DB on iOS. They built a key part of their app disconnected launage DB from the app itself and shink the size. Updating laungage packs with out having to update the app means they do those updates with out spending thousands of dollars for an app update. App update cost that much due to the testing time before a release make sure they did not break anything as other things would keep going during that time. Plus any time you can avoid Apples update process you want to. First it takes 1 week to get threw and who knows what they will reject you for. Things you might of gotten threw multiple times before boom you are rejected for this it this time.

----------

Any company that does advertisements sells your data. You know that Apple does it as well. Heck google is more clear on what they do with it and even offer more chances to opt out. Apple no such choice but Apple is selling your data.

Things otherwise is ignorant. Apple is selling your data and you have less control over it with apple..

That doesn't mean that all your data is sold or is even available to be sold.

Max(IT)

Suspended
Dec 8, 2009
Italy

----------

Apple isn't selling your data . That's plain false.
Apple is an hardware and software company.

generalgeek

macrumors member
Sep 20, 2014
Agreed - once Apple launched iAd, they entered the ad business. While they may not be necessarily selling your data, they are certainly using it to feed you ads.

Illbay

macrumors newbie
Nov 1, 2014
Houston
Geez, I guess I'm too easy...

My only complaint is that I LIKE the iOS default keyboard appearance and wish it persisted through every app, rather than allowing the app to dictate the keyboard appearance.

"First World Problems," eh?

----------

He hee exactly. The fear mongers are scared of a few 3rd party apps when the entire system is designed that way. We gave up our rights immediately the internet was invented.

Disagree. We didn't "give up any rights," we just agreed to live in the environment we find online.

Unless and until you have the ability as an individual to create your own network that somehow allows you to connect to those people and services you wish to, with full privacy controlled by you, then you simply have the choice to take the online world as you find it, or leave it alone.

It's no different than when you walk in a clothing store, note the security cameras hanging everywhere, browse for clothes under the watchful eye of their security, then hand the cashier your credit card (or enter it into THEIR POS system yourself).

In order to avail yourself of the goods and services the store provides, you agree to enter their domain and subject yourself to their security protocols.

That's not "giving up your rights," it's INTERACTING with others. They have the right to security as much as you have.

If you're not comfortable with their protocols, then don't shop there. Period.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
[MOD NOTE]
This is about iOS keyboards, not Google and its practices. Lets get back on topic please.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.