Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

How much do you give to iOS 9 beta 5 / Public beta 3 ?

• Total voters

oldmacs

macrumors 601
Sep 14, 2010
Australia
Except that the beta is far from terrible for many. And that the GM is usually well ahead of the last betas that it can be different enough. Facts about something that doesn't even exist yet (at least in the capacity of anyone being able say anything about it) simply can't be facts, and that's the only thing that would actually be an actual fact in all of that.

The beta should be consistently fast on all devices (with a clean install).

You don't have any facts that its "far from terrible for many". I have just as many facts about it being terrible as you have for it not being so.

Every single video I have seen of it on the 4S shows it being slower than iOS 8, which it shouldn't be. Why? Because Apple supposedly put a lot of time into optimising their code, and in addition to that, it should not be any slower as there are no new features that would be any more power consuming on the 4S.

iOS 8 was the same. The last beta wasn't great, and neither was the GM.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011

You don't have any facts that its "far from terrible for many". I have just as many facts about it being terrible as you have for it not being so.

Every single video I have seen of it on the 4S shows it being slower than iOS 8, which it shouldn't be. Why? Because Apple supposedly put a lot of time into optimising their code, and in addition to that, it should not be any slower as there are no new features that would be any more power consuming on the 4S.

And none of that says anything anout iOS 9 when it's actually released until it's actually released. People can have their opinions and guesses, but that's just their own personal thinking and doesn't have anything to do with reality prior to it actually existing.

oldmacs

macrumors 601
Sep 14, 2010
Australia
And none of that says anything anout iOS 9 when it's actually released until it's actually released. People can have their opinions and guesses, but that's just their own personal thinking and doesn't have anything to do with reality prior to it actually existing.
I'm not saying I know for sure from the current version, however if you look to the past the final beta has been a good indicator of what a final version will be like.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
I'm not saying I know for sure from the current version, however if you look to the past the final beta has been a good indicator of what a final version will be like.
Except that's what you were implying earlier (even with the use of "fact") and what I was referencing to begin with (that while we can guess and predict it's still not out and not real nonetheless).

oldmacs

macrumors 601
Sep 14, 2010
Australia
Except that's what you were implying earlier (even with the use of "fact") and what I was referencing to begin with (that while we can guess and predict it's still not out and not real nonetheless).
Apologies for that. I agree that the final version will be the one to judge on. If we are still seeing similar issues with performance as on beta 5, that will be when i will be truly worried.

newellj

macrumors G3
Oct 15, 2014
East of Eden

Forums like this provide absolutely nothing that's statistically reliable in terms of performance (either way). All we can say is "some users...other users...".

newellj

macrumors G3
Oct 15, 2014
East of Eden

This is obviously correct and I agree with you. OTOH, it would be more reassuring if the final beta were a resounding success. That doesn't mean 9.0 won't be great, but uneven results in the final beta understandably leave some people skeptical. The proof of this pudding will be in the eating, for better or for worse. ;)

newellj

macrumors G3
Oct 15, 2014
East of Eden
Very true.

I completely understand your concerns. I have had a great experience with PB1 and PB3. (PB 2 ate my battery.) I'm hoping for the best with 9 but frankly I wouldn't bet cash money on 9.0 fulfilling the promises made last spring, which is very unfortunate.

oldmacs

macrumors 601
Sep 14, 2010
Australia
I completely understand your concerns. I have had a great experience with PB1 and PB3. (PB 2 ate my battery.) I'm hoping for the best with 9 but frankly I wouldn't bet cash money on 9.0 fulfilling the promises made last spring, which is very unfortunate.

I have my fingers crossed. I do however feel this may e the first time that I don't update. I have an iPhone 5, iPad 2 and Mini 2, and I just want performance to at least stay the same - otherwise they may have well added a significant number of features.

AngusW

macrumors 6502
Jun 19, 2013
Isn't that supposed to be one of the new "features" of iOS9? If "Wi-fi Assist" is toggled on and the performance of the wi-fi is poor / slow, then it automatically switches to cellular.

True, but when it wont' even connect to wifi to begin with is also a problem. I'm told either it can't connect to the network or it says the password is incorrect. I've even had the IT guys try it and still no luck.

XTheLancerX

macrumors 68000
Aug 20, 2014
NY, USA
I'm voting "Bad"

I'm not going to budge until performance and battery life under iOS 9 is indeed better than iOS 8.4.1, just like they claimed.

Reactions: Act3

nj-morris

macrumors 68000
Nov 30, 2014
UK
I've been getting very good performance until recently. I've been getting awful battery life on my Air 2, having to charge it twice a day.

newellj

macrumors G3
Oct 15, 2014
East of Eden
I've been getting very good performance until recently. I've been getting awful battery life on my Air 2, having to charge it twice a day.

Which beta? I had that problem with PB2. With PB3 I'm basically back to the same battery life as iOS 8.x (which obviously does not constitute an improvement, as was touted this spring...).

nj-morris

macrumors 68000
Nov 30, 2014
UK
Which beta? I had that problem with PB2. With PB3 I'm basically back to the same battery life as iOS 8.x (which obviously does not constitute an improvement, as was touted this spring...).

Yeah it's PB3. As I said it was fine at first, but all of a sudden I'm getting half the battery life that I had before.

George Waseem

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 2, 2015

I think iOS 9 is not that big of a release to the iPad Air 2. The only special feature is the multitasking
In performance, it kinda focuses on iPad 3,4,Air and iPhone 5,5S. I have an iPad 4 that has such an awesome battery that lasts for 2 days when I use it or browsing and playing some non intense graphical games.

nj-morris

macrumors 68000
Nov 30, 2014
UK
I think iOS 9 is not that big of a release to the iPad Air 2. The only special feature is the multitasking
In performance, it kinda focuses on iPad 3,4,Air and iPhone 5,5S. I have an iPad 4 that has such an awesome battery that lasts for 2 days when I use it or browsing and playing some non intense graphical games.

I disagree wholeheartedly. I use picture-in-picture almost daily (it's very useful for doing something during the Game of Thrones intro) and it will be even more useful if YouTube implements it in their app. And after using this keyboard-trackpad feature, I can't go back. Also the bigger folders are cool, but not a deal breaker. I don't really use the multitasking, but that will probably change when third-parties implement it. For now though, Slide-over is very useful for checking emails or taking a quick note at a moments notice.

newellj

macrumors G3
Oct 15, 2014
East of Eden
Yeah it's PB3. As I said it was fine at first, but all of a sudden I'm getting half the battery life that I had before.

Odd - crossing my fingers.

My iPhones occasionally run away for reasons I can't figure out. They're configured nearly identically and generally use and battery life are very similar but every so often one will just burn through the battery (and it's not always the same one, either). Sometimes a reset solves the problem, sometimes a DFU restore is needed.

Paddle1

macrumors 601
May 1, 2013
1: Don't care.
2: Don't care.
3: I do care about others but I have an iPhone 6 so can't comment.
4: Yes, sometimes there is a slight animation delay. Also not very smooth.
5: Don't have an iPad.
6: Don't have an iPad.
7: Apple Music needs quite a few fixes to be fair but I am enjoying it overall.
8: Haven't really used this feature much. Should use it more.
9: Yes, the biggest wish! Hopefully there are things still running in the background that Apple don't disable until the GM so I'm hoping it'll feel smoother and faster.
10: Similar to above.
11: This seems to be the biggest issue. Should software created in 2015 run great on a hardware chip that is four years old? Probably not. I'm sorry but you can't expect brand new software to run on old hardware, it's just not going to work.

Oh, and there will be no beta 6, the GM is already being put on the new iPhones. iOS 9 GM should be available on the 9th after the event. I guess the list above is for the GM and not beta 6.
Four year old computers can run 2015 software just fine, there's no reason this can't be the case with phones too.

I've noticed iOS 9 beta 5 is noticeably faster than beta 4 so I'm hoping that continues to improve in the GM.

Vandam500

macrumors 68000
Sep 29, 2008
iOS 9 Beta 6 / PB. 4
My wish list.
1. New dynamic wallpapers
2. More still wallpapers.
3. Better performance on iPhone 4S
4. Control centre animation fix on iPhones
5. Better notification centre animations on iPad
6. Fix for all app delays on iPhone and iPad
7. Fix for Apple Music app when sliding to the bottom when playing a certain track.
8. Improvement of proactivity
9. Smoother feel
10. Fixing of overall animations of the system
11. Performance of A5 / A6 and some of A7 devices to be improved.
12. Better battery life on iPad 2,3,mini 1/2 and of course on iPhone 4S and later, battery on iPhone is now like officially terrible, I have an iPhone 5S with iOS pb3 and I barely get 3 hours of usage on a full charge, I'm now like 30 % and I've used it for just 2 hours. Really a very bad issue and could possibly ruin some peoples life, if u are outside without a charger, u are probably not going with iPhone, I device u go with the iPad instead.

Edited ;)

iPhone 4S is almost 4 years old, you serious?

Michael Goff

Suspended
Jul 5, 2012
Four year old computers can run 2015 software just fine, there's no reason this can't be the case with phones too.

I've noticed iOS 9 beta 5 is noticeably faster than beta 4 so I'm hoping that continues to improve in the GM.

Bad comparison. In 2011, the traditional PC had matured in terms of hardware and software. The same might be able to be said for the mobile platform TODAY, but I'm not even completely sure about that.

Paddle1

macrumors 601
May 1, 2013
Bad comparison. In 2011, the traditional PC had matured in terms of hardware and software. The same might be able to be said for the mobile platform TODAY, but I'm not even completely sure about that.
I said there's no reason this "can't be the case", how old it is is not the reason it runs badly, it's the actual specs.

Michael Goff

Suspended
Jul 5, 2012
I said there's no reason this "can't be the case", how old it is is not the reason it runs badly, it's the actual specs.

No, it's very much tied to how old it is. And it very much makes sense that mobile devices obsolete quicker than desktop ones these days. It isn't great, but it makes sense. ARM chips in 2011 were good for their time, but not really all that great.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.