Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

betabeta

macrumors 6502a
Jun 28, 2013
My guess is there should be one more beta release in the next few days, maybe Monday. The last beta will basically be the final, gives them few weeks to be 100% sure it's ready for the 18th. But I'm not having any major issues with the last one.

batting1000

macrumors 604
Sep 4, 2011
Florida
My guess is there should be one more beta release in the next few days, maybe Monday. The last beta will basically be the final, gives them few weeks to be 100% sure it's ready for the 18th. But I'm not having any major issues with the last one.

Nope. GM has to be flashed onto the devices. They can't flash the final build onto the devices the day the 6s comes out lol. Beta period is over. Would've seen a new beta already if there was one. GM will be released September 9th / event day which is 2 weeks from today.

PsykX

macrumors 68020
Sep 16, 2006
I wish. But the beta period is definitely over. I have a pretty decent source about it ;)

Nyk0n

macrumors regular
Aug 13, 2008
Well, I hope beta 6 maybe adds WiFi calling for Rogers in Canada, but as a Rogers customer and a Canadian.. We get shafted on almost everything.

Well I doubt Wifi Calling will be added since Rogers really pushes their customers to use the Rogers One Number app which does work over wifi

vultuk

macrumors member
Jun 24, 2015
Bolton, England
The worry for me is that my iPhone 6plus is not useable for Joe public. Over heating, sometimes battery draining to 0% from full in under 2 hours on standby, general bad battery life, watch loosing connection and having to be wiped and re-paired and proactive doesn't do half the things it does for most people.

If this is the last beta and GM arrives in a week or so there's a good chance these things won't be fixed and will go live. I don't care for myself I'm used to betas have spare devices and workarounds but I'm worried for the users!

sam3020

macrumors 6502a
Dec 3, 2007
The worry for me is that my iPhone 6plus is not useable for Joe public. Over heating, sometimes battery draining to 0% from full in under 2 hours on standby, general bad battery life, watch loosing connection and having to be wiped and re-paired and proactive doesn't do half the things it does for most people.

If this is the last beta and GM arrives in a week or so there's a good chance these things won't be fixed and will go live. I don't care for myself I'm used to betas have spare devices and workarounds but I'm worried for the users!
Try restoring your phone and do not restore from back up. I upgraded mine first and experienced the same issues as yours and then did a clean install and it is pretty stable

vultuk

macrumors member
Jun 24, 2015
Bolton, England
Try restoring your phone and do not restore from back up. I upgraded mine first and experienced the same issues as yours and then did a clean install and it is pretty stable

Thanks. I have tried all of those things multiple times, many different ways or installing, downgrading first, not restoring backups, full DFU etc etc but none of them have ever helped. I always do a full clean install for the GM anyway, but as I say it's more everyone else I'm worried about, the general public. I just really hope Apple have got everything fixed and tested internally because I can guarantee telling the general public to do a clean install without restoring backups will not fly!

Ramesh Chandram

macrumors newbie
Aug 27, 2015
If the GM is already being burned onto the new devices, they why does Apple keep it from us devs until event day. Why not just release the GM now?

SMIDG3T

Suspended
Apr 29, 2012
England
Because often technical details of the new devices exist in the software which would end up surfacing before the event.

This.

iOS 9 GM will probably have Force Touch settings for example and while it's all but confirmed, Apple won't release it before unveiling the 6s and 6s Plus.

madmad

macrumors newbie
Aug 22, 2015
Beta 5 definitely feels worse than beta 6.

We need beta 6!

I still cannot successfully back up at iCloud with all these iOS 9 beta. beta 5 is better in the sense that the progress bar can move, but never be able to be completed...

annoying...

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011

Well, there's a good amount of time between last beta and GM for Apple to do quite a bit in. On top of that while there are people that experience weird battery issues and the like, there are also many who don't, which puts it in a category that it's not necessarily something in iOS itself or something else that's off and not widespread. Doesn't make it less of an issue for those that are dealing with it of course, but doesn't necessarily mean iOS itself isn't right or something like that.

fullfast

macrumors 6502
Mar 24, 2010
Must admit using the 6 plus on latest beta still has glitches, sluggish performance on apps when switching between landscape and portrait....better than previous but still there...also performance when talking to watch as well as picking up calls......

Agree with vultuk ....if they deliver this to end user they are not going to be happy...

Reactions: TeToslaw

batting1000

macrumors 604
Sep 4, 2011
Florida
Must admit using the 6 plus on latest beta still has glitches, sluggish performance on apps when switching between landscape and portrait....better than previous but still there...also performance when talking to watch as well as picking up calls......

Agree with vultuk ....if they deliver this to end user they are not going to be happy...

Why are people so convinced that beta 5 is what will be released come mid-September? Apple will have had roughly a month (and maybe even longer due to farther along internal builds) to work on the GM. There's no way the GM will = beta 5.

Reactions: CharlieBrown-DE

DrBlueBox

macrumors 6502
Jun 8, 2015
Chatham

So strange.

Beta 5 is incredibly stable on my 6 Plus. I'm getting over an hour of extra battery life compared to what I was getting on 8.4.

Pro-active seems to do everything Apple advertised that it would for me too, though I don't really use it or see the point of it. All my frequently used apps are on my homepage, swiping left to get to them just adds an extra step so I really don't "get it"

If beta 5 had been the GM I would have been happy. Odd how experiances can differ so dramatically on the same software.

newellj

macrumors G3
Oct 15, 2014
East of Eden
Why are people so convinced that beta 5 is what will be released come mid-September? Apple will have had roughly a month (and maybe even longer due to farther along internal builds) to work on the GM. There's no way the GM will = beta 5.

Totally agree, though the GM won't have the benefit of broad public testing and feedback (which would appear to be desirable, given the various different user experiences being reported with the current beta). Oh well - it's not my job. ;)

Jt69yupper

macrumors regular
Jun 18, 2015
Let's look at the odds, has there ever been a beta released between the announcement date of the event to the event?

Reactions: februarian

sanke1

macrumors 65816
Nov 9, 2010
Current beta 5 on iPhone 5S is terrible. Battery drain is just too much.

I am predicting that this battery drain will remain even in GM release. Then people will complain bitterly on internet about poor battery life. Then reluctantly, Apple will fix battery life after few months on it. But damage has already been done. Most have moved over to new shiny 6S. Awesome strategy.

Planned obsolescence at it's finest. :mad:

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011

I am predicting that this battery drain will remain even in GM release. Then people will complain bitterly on internet about poor battery life. Then reluctantly, Apple will fix battery life after few months on it. But damage has already been done. Most have moved over to new shiny 6S. Awesome strategy.

It doesn't seem like this was there in the previous beta right before beta 5, so in the span of two weeks some glitch appeared in a beta update, why could it not be resolved in the span of over a month before the GM/final version is out?

nerdriot

macrumors regular
May 16, 2015

I'm not trying to be contentious, but there are two points in your post that need to be addressed. First, Apple is in the business of making money, so if this so-called planned obsolescence is in fact true, well that's the nature of the business.

Secondly, even the old iPhone 4 still runs 7.1.2, if I'm not mistaken, and it still runs perfectly fine, and (most) apps still work on it. Even if newer apps don't, they provide older versions of their software. I still have mine, and could use it if I like, but I prefer using the 6.

All in all, if iOS 9 isn't working that well, you could always stick with 8.4.*.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.