Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

PsykX

macrumors 68020
Sep 16, 2006
Current beta 5 on iPhone 5S is terrible. Battery drain is just too much.

I am predicting that this battery drain will remain even in GM release. Then people will complain bitterly on internet about poor battery life. Then reluctantly, Apple will fix battery life after few months on it. But damage has already been done. Most have moved over to new shiny 6S. Awesome strategy.

Planned obsolescence at it's finest. :mad:

I believe you had the same bug as mine, Photos was draining all your battery even though you shut off everything about it, delete every single photo, sign off from iCloud, turn off background refresh, and turn on battery saving mode.

Dude, if that makes the GM release, and kill the iPhones like mine in under an hour, Apple will have to address that and ASAP. I don't think it has anything to do with planned obsolescence.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
I'm not trying to be contentious, but there are two points in your post that need to be addressed. First, Apple is in the business of making money, so if this so-called planned obsolescence is in fact true, well that's the nature of the business.

Secondly, even the old iPhone 4 still runs 7.1.2, if I'm not mistaken, and it still runs perfectly fine, and (most) apps still work on it. Even if newer apps don't, they provide older versions of their software. I still have mine, and could use it if I like, but I prefer using the 6.

All in all, if iOS 9 isn't working that well, you could always stick with 8.4.*.
Well, 7.1.2 certainly runs better than 7.0 on iPhone 4, but I wouldn't say it's "perfectly fine" as much as it's just "OK" at best for most, and even then rather slow. That phone likely shouldn't have gone beyond iOS 6.

As far as iOS 9, the whole part about if it doesn't work that well you can always stick with 8.4 isn't quite true in many cases as the older version stops being signed after some time and there's no way to go back if you try iOS 9 and it's not working out for you. Perhaps if you do it in the first week or two (assuming the older version is still signed at that time) you could potentially do it, but the window of opportunity is a rather small one, and won't be of much help for many people who might not upgrade right away (and even then many probably won't realize they can go back to 8.4 even if it's still being signed).

Reactions: nerdriot

ZebraDude

macrumors 65816
Sep 7, 2014
Naperville, IL
Current beta 5 on iPhone 5S is terrible. Battery drain is just too much.

I am predicting that this battery drain will remain even in GM release. Then people will complain bitterly on internet about poor battery life. Then reluctantly, Apple will fix battery life after few months on it. But damage has already been done. Most have moved over to new shiny 6S. Awesome strategy.

Planned obsolescence at it's finest. :mad:

The Beta software has logging software imbedded that Apple uses to track beta performance and that is removed on the release version and that will help with the battery life.

Hustler1337

macrumors 68000
Dec 23, 2010
London, UK
I believe you had the same bug as mine, Photos was draining all your battery even though you shut off everything about it, delete every single photo, sign off from iCloud, turn off background refresh, and turn on battery saving mode.

Dude, if that makes the GM release, and kill the iPhones like mine in under an hour, Apple will have to address that and ASAP. I don't think it has anything to do with planned obsolescence.
I had a crazy amount of battery drain the other day. In less than 3 hours, my iPhone burned its battery from ~75% to 0% with very little use (I was at work). Got pretty warm in my pockets but I couldn't figure out what it was. Turning on Low Power Mode and Airplane Mode proved useless. This beta seems worse than Beta 1 in terms of battery performance on some days. Other days I seem to get average battery life. I'll keep an eye on Photos, thanks for the info.

QuarterSwede

macrumors G3
Oct 1, 2005
Colorado Springs, CO
I had a crazy amount of battery drain the other day. In less than 3 hours, my iPhone burned its battery from ~75% to 0% with very little use (I was at work). Got pretty warm in my pockets but I couldn't figure out what it was. Turning on Low Power Mode and Airplane Mode proved useless. This beta seems worse than Beta 1 in terms of battery performance on some days. Other days I seem to get average battery life. I'll keep an eye on Photos, thanks for the info.
Mine has done that various iOS releases. A reboot seems to be the only way to kill a rouge process.

PsykX

macrumors 68020
Sep 16, 2006
Mine has done that various iOS releases. A reboot seems to be the only way to kill a rouge process.
Reboots have proven unsuccessful here. I was often forced to just shut down my phone because else I would never be able to make it through the next hour or two.

Reactions: magicMac

jobu3434

macrumors regular
Jun 26, 2012
Virginia Beach, VA
I was really hoping for a Beta 6 but pretty sure its not coming. I have had a really strange coincidence happen on Beta 5 since it has been released. After about a full week and few days after the beta was released, my phone was suddenly crashing in messages, safari, and a few other apps (native and third party). It would freeze immediately after launching a particular app and then crash. It became unusable because it occurred consistently every time I would launch a particular app. I would have to resort to a hard reboot when it would happen and would give me a temporarily fix but it would not last very long and it would soon start up again. I had to restore and set up as a new device to solve the problem. Until today, about the same time frame since then, it started to act the same way again this morning and not wanting to deal with it again, I immediately restored it...So strange...I wonder if its some sort of slow memory leak or something....I have submitted the bug and at least we should see the GM on the 9th. I hope it doesn't start again until then.

I guess beta is beta...

magicMac

macrumors 6502a
Apr 13, 2010
UK
I'm quite impressed with the stability of the latest iOS 9 beta. Fairly bug free too. But the battery life is horrendous ! I really hope apple know what's causing the drain and can fix it in one last beta in the next few days. I can't understand how apple can predict iOS 9 will have 1 hour of extra battery life than iOS 8 when every beta so far has had worse battery life :s

rillrill

macrumors 6502a
Jul 27, 2011
New York
Same battery issue on my 5s. 8.4.1 runs like a champ. I refuse to upgrade.

What new features does iOS 9 give a 5s owner anyway?

On my iPad Air 2 iOS 9 beta is awesome. I'm wondering if Apple put way more effort into the iPad software this time because of this rumored iPad pro....

newellj

macrumors G3
Oct 15, 2014
East of Eden
Same battery issue on my 5s. 8.4.1 runs like a champ. I refuse to upgrade.

What new features does iOS 9 give a 5s owner anyway?

On my iPad Air 2 iOS 9 beta is awesome. I'm wondering if Apple put way more effort into the iPad software this time because of this rumored iPad pro....

My feeling is about the same. It's great on my Air 2. I haven't found a compelling reason to try the beta on my other four iOS devices.

macrumors 601
May 19, 2011
Still having huge problems with battery life and heat with 6 Plus running latest PB. Needs fixing soon!!

GroningenNL

macrumors member
Jun 2, 2015
Groningen
The battery drain on my iPhone 5S is terrible, from 100% to 20% within 2 to 3 hours. It gets worst by the day, the only thing i'm doing is FB, Twitter, Instagram, messages, make a call and mail.

An 80% drop so fast, think i'll reinstall iOS 9b5, hopefully it will help.

tjleonard

macrumors 6502a
Jun 25, 2013
Hows the Battery life on iPhone 6 units through IOS 9 beta testing ? i'm on the fence of trying the Beta vs staying on 8 until GM release of 9 ..

It's not as bad as what some of the above posters have mentioned. I get a typical day and trickle charge off and on. I do think iOS 8 lasted a little longer, but it's not been bad enough for me to roll back. There is some choppiness / lag, but it's pretty minor as well.

My Apple Watch on the other hand, well that's a completely different story.

iPhone.Freak

macrumors newbie
Oct 16, 2007
USA
I was really hoping for a Beta 6 but pretty sure its not coming. I have had a really strange coincidence happen on Beta 5 since it has been released. After about a full week and few days after the beta was released, my phone was suddenly crashing in messages, safari, and a few other apps (native and third party). It would freeze immediately after launching a particular app and then crash. It became unusable because it occurred consistently every time I would launch a particular app. I would have to resort to a hard reboot when it would happen and would give me a temporarily fix but it would not last very long and it would soon start up again. I had to restore and set up as a new device to solve the problem. Until today, about the same time frame since then, it started to act the same way again this morning and not wanting to deal with it again, I immediately restored it...So strange...I wonder if its some sort of slow memory leak or something....I have submitted the bug and at least we should see the GM on the 9th. I hope it doesn't start again until then.

I guess beta is beta...

Do you have an iPhone 6 Plus? Apple has told employee's about a hardware issue dealing with the digitizer. And to swap any iPhones were the touch screen no longer responds to input.

jobu3434

macrumors regular
Jun 26, 2012
Virginia Beach, VA
Do you have an iPhone 6 Plus? Apple has told employee's about a hardware issue dealing with the digitizer. And to swap any iPhones were the touch screen no longer responds to input.

I do have 6+. It seems to just freeze up for about 10 sec and then the screen goes black for a couple more sec and then crashes to the home screen.

tjleonard

macrumors 6502a
Jun 25, 2013
I'm not trying to be contentious, but there are two points in your post that need to be addressed. First, Apple is in the business of making money, so if this so-called planned obsolescence is in fact true, well that's the nature of the business.

Secondly, even the old iPhone 4 still runs 7.1.2, if I'm not mistaken, and it still runs perfectly fine, and (most) apps still work on it. Even if newer apps don't, they provide older versions of their software. I still have mine, and could use it if I like, but I prefer using the 6.

All in all, if iOS 9 isn't working that well, you could always stick with 8.4.*.

Yah, I'm not sure anyone can complain about an iPhone 4, much less a 2 year old phone. Android phones stop updating after a year or two. Who believes a phone can really last that long with so many tech advances!?

Reactions: nerdriot

UsK

macrumors newbie
Aug 6, 2015
Both iPhone 5s and iPad Air 2 got this pop up now (Sunday 1AM, EST)
But no update is available...

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    112.8 KB · Views: 253
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.