Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
And of course the commercial release fixes none of the problems a bunch of us have reported.

Apple, this is pathetic.
Seems like they fixed quite a few issues that likely quite a few people experienced, it's just that they haven't fixed everything, which is pretty much always the case (for pretty much any software, especially that which is as complex as an OS).

oldmacs

macrumors 601
Sep 14, 2010
Australia
And it seems like iOS 8 and/or 7 have been worse for many (and seemingly many more) others

And you have evidence for this? I'm not arguing iOS 9 is worse on the whole because I don't have the statistics.

Yes, on a pure essentially literal level of it, it's certainly unfortunate that Apple didn't fully live up to the marketing and that things in some cases for some people have gotten worse

Its not just 'not living up to marketing' its not delivering promised features. 'Foundation' was on of the key advertised features of iOS 9 and I'll believe it as soon as someone shows me iOS 9 performing better in terms of app opening times/speed inside apps/fluidity or animations/app response times. As I've said countless times, there is plenty to show iOS 9 being slower than iOS 8, but not one shred of physical proof beyond some people saying 'my device feels better' which doesn't prove anything other than that their iOS 8 install may have been dodgy.

but in the overall sense the release doesn't seem to be all that different then what the past few releases were like

And thats the point. Apple put together a crap release with few features, didn't deliver promised features, and yet it is still worse than iOS 8, which was no stunner in the stablitly/performance department.
generally not as bad as some make it out to be

Again proof? Show me iOS 9 performing at least the same as iOS 8 on an A7 iPad.

but that's really based on their own usage, devices, and experiences and doesn't mean that it translates like that to others).

Again, I'm more then happy to believe that somehow clean installs of iOS 9 differ better perfectly working iPads and iPhones if someone can demonstrate iOS 9 performing at the level of iOS 8 or above.

Its now months since this argument started, yet I'm yet to use an iOS 9 device that does not have degraded performance over its iOS 8 counterpart in some way.

oldmacs

macrumors 601
Sep 14, 2010
Australia
And of course the commercial release fixes none of the problems a bunch of us have reported.

Apple, this is pathetic

All of my devices (As of last week when I last tried) crash to an unstable state when control centre is cleared. Apple still hasn't addressed this as far as I know. Pathetic given the featureless release that iOS 9 was.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
And you have evidence for this? I'm not arguing iOS 9 is worse on the whole because I don't have the statistics.

Its not just 'not living up to marketing' its not delivering promised features. 'Foundation' was on of the key advertised features of iOS 9 and I'll believe it as soon as someone shows me iOS 9 performing better in terms of app opening times/speed inside apps/fluidity or animations/app response times. As I've said countless times, there is plenty to show iOS 9 being slower than iOS 8, but not one shred of physical proof beyond some people saying 'my device feels better' which doesn't prove anything other than that their iOS 8 install may have been dodgy.

And thats the point. Apple put together a crap release with few features, didn't deliver promised features, and yet it is still worse than iOS 8, which was no stunner in the stablitly/performance department.

Again proof? Show me iOS 9 performing at least the same as iOS 8 on an A7 iPad.

Again, I'm more then happy to believe that somehow clean installs of iOS 9 differ better perfectly working iPads and iPhones if someone can demonstrate iOS 9 performing at the level of iOS 8 or above.

Its now months since this argument started, yet I'm yet to use an iOS 9 device that does not have degraded performance over its iOS 8 counterpart in some way.
The level of discussions that iOS 7 issues generated and even iOS 8 issues generated from threads here to tech media articles to even mainstream media articles seems to be greater than what has been going on with iOS 9. That provides some evidence toward a reasonable conclusion that iOS 7 and/or 8 have been somewhat worse for more people. There really won't be anything specific that really proves it one way or another if that's what anyone is after.

And again, proof that things aren't as bad as some make it out to be? How does something performing somewhat better or worse in iOS 8 vs. 9 fit into that--it's not about comparing the two, it's about things not being as bad as a lot of hyperbole that has gone into quite a bit of discussion of things being unusable or horrible or something else extreme like that.

Michael Goff

Suspended
Jul 5, 2012
And it seems like iOS 8 and/or 7 have been worse for many (and seemingly many more) others. Yes, on a pure essentially literal level of it, it's certainly unfortunate that Apple didn't fully live up to the marketing and that things in some cases for some people have gotten worse, but in the overall sense the release doesn't seem to be all that different then what the past few releases were like (again, even if it was supposed to be) and in some ways better as well as far as stability and functionality go for many. Again, it's not that it can't be better or shouldn't be better, it's more that it's not that shocking or surprising and generally not as bad as some make it out to be (and perhaps it's really that bad for someone, but that's really based on their own usage, devices, and experiences and doesn't mean that it translates like that to others).

But I'm sure you wouldn't mind the responsiveness that was there prior to iOS 7 (in the sense of it simply applying just that aspect of it to what iOS is now).

A more responsive UI is always better.

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
Just updated to IOS 9.2. iphone 5s, iphone 6s, ipad 2 no issues. I think safari on ipad 2 is a bit more stable, meaning even less reloads and battery life on on 6s seems to be same or better.

na1577

macrumors 6502a
Jan 20, 2008
iOS 9 is the first version since 2.0 that I've been running into frequent, reproducible bugs. They're mostly minor annoyances relating to UI rendering, but it's frustrating that Apple seems to be taking their time fixing some pretty obvious glitches. They just barely fixed the Settings bug that's been in place since iOS 9 launched back in September. I'm shocked that such an obvious glitch was left in place for so long. It wasn't a major issue, but it shows that Apple's standards for quality and polish have dropped. It makes me wonder what other glitches are still lurking in the OS waiting to be discovered.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
iOS 9 is the first version since 2.0 that I've been running into frequent, reproducible bugs. They're mostly minor annoyances relating to UI rendering, but it's frustrating that Apple seems to be taking their time fixing some pretty obvious glitches. They just barely fixed the Settings bug that's been in place since iOS 9 launched back in September. I'm shocked that such an obvious glitch was left in place for so long. It wasn't a major issue, but it shows that Apple's standards for quality and polish have dropped. It makes me wonder what other glitches are still lurking in the OS waiting to be discovered.
It's interesting that a completely inconsequential issue like the Settings shift demonstrates a shift in Apple's standards and indicates how bad iOS 9 is, while something like completely random restarts/resprings that affected many in iOS 8 somehow didn't live up to that level, or the very noticeable decrease in usability design and performance from iOS 6 to 7 didn't do it.

na1577

macrumors 6502a
Jan 20, 2008
It's interesting that a completely inconsequential issue like the Settings shift demonstrates a shift in Apple's standards and indicates how bad iOS 9 is, while something like completely random restarts/resprings that affected many in iOS 8 somehow didn't live up to that level, or the very noticeable decrease in usability design and performance from iOS 6 to 7 didn't do it.
I skipped over iOS 7 entirely so I can't comment on its performance. I've also never experienced any random restarts or resprings with iOS 8 or iOS 9, so I guess I'm just commenting on issues that I've seen..

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
I skipped over iOS 7 entirely so I can't comment on its performance. I've also never experienced any random restarts or resprings with iOS 8 or iOS 9, so I guess I'm just commenting on issues that I've seen..
In that case it sounds like it's all quite subjective and thus different for everyone.

Narcaz

macrumors 6502
Jul 18, 2013
The level of discussions that iOS 7 issues generated and even iOS 8 issues generated from threads here to tech media articles to even mainstream media articles seems to be greater than what has been going on with iOS 9. That provides some evidence toward a reasonable conclusion that iOS 7 and/or 8 have been somewhat worse for more people. There really won't be anything specific that really proves it one way or another if that's what anyone is after.

And again, proof that things aren't as bad as some make it out to be? How does something performing somewhat better or worse in iOS 8 vs. 9 fit into that--it's not about comparing the two, it's about things not being as bad as a lot of hyperbole that has gone into quite a bit of discussion of things being unusable or horrible or something else extreme like that.

I thought you had at least some more or less objective consumer satisfaction index or something better to backup this better/worse for others claim. But your "method" really only consists of reading macrumors and a few techblog articles. Not even the official Apple Support Forum, which is by the way full of iOS 9 problems. And yet you present your personal opinion nonchalant as a scientific fact and accuse others of hyperbole.

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
I thought you had at least some more or less objective consumer satisfaction index or something better to backup this better/worse for others claim. But your "method" really only consists of reading macrumors and a few techblog articles. Not even the official Apple Support Forum, which is by the way full of iOS 9 problems. And yet you present your personal opinion nonchalant as a scientific fact and accuse others of hyperbole.
Ever read a Windows forum on microsofts site or other third party site? I often wonder how people have these issues that are posting about.

A lot of what is read is repetitive about the same thing and that is not saying hardware/software is perfect; but it becomes hyperbole when some general conclusion or statement is drawn from your use case.

Some statements are valid for example like the stutter on the cell data app list, but that is not indicative of the o/s as a whole nor should it warrant a general statement.

Nobody can really make a general claim is the point. The only mitigating factor is if Apple is breaking sales records people want to buy the product for their own reasons.

Radon87000

macrumors 604
Nov 29, 2013
Ever read a Windows forum on microsofts site or other third party site? I often wonder how people have these issues that are posting about.

A lot of what is read is repetitive about the same thing and that is not saying hardware/software is perfect; but it becomes hyperbole when some general conclusion or statement is drawn from your use case.

Some statements are valid for example like the stutter on the cell data app list, but that is not indicative of the o/s as a whole nor should it warrant a general statement.

Nobody can really make a general claim is the point. The only mitigating factor is if Apple is breaking sales records people want to buy the product for their own reasons.
You can thank Steve for building up the brand image for the sales.Funnily enough Watch is the only non Steve product and Apple doesnt announce its lacklustre sales

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
It's got more going for it than it doesn't. (And realistically the Apple Support Forum and even this forum and others like it have all kinds of complaints for every single version of iOS, and that still falls into much of what I've been saying as far as iOS 9 not being somehow worse than previous releases and that much of this outrage and surprise and comparisons to some days of perfection in the past that some people seem to have just doesn't really hold up.)

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
You can thank Steve for building up the brand image for the sales.Funnily enough Watch is the only non Steve product and Apple doesnt announce its lacklustre sales
How do you know it's lack luster if sales aren't announced? More hyperbole? Apple has moved on from the SJ era, and it's not going back.

BillyMatt87

macrumors 6502a
Dec 23, 2013
How do you know it's lack luster if sales aren't announced? More hyperbole? Apple has moved on from the SJ era, and it's not going back.
That's ultimately gonna be their undoing. Just like John Scully moved Apple's direction away from what Jobs would've done and look how that turned out.

Michael Goff

Suspended
Jul 5, 2012
You just answered your own question on why they didnt announce sales

They also don't tell how many of each Mac they're selling, how many Magic Mice or Keyboards, break down which types of iPhones are selling, or almost anything else except big picture numbers.

That's ultimately gonna be their undoing. Just like John Scully moved Apple's direction away from what Jobs would've done and look how that turned out.

Yeah! Base your company on what one guy decided and never change or evolve. That will surely lead to continued growth in the future.

Radon87000

macrumors 604
Nov 29, 2013
They also don't tell how many of each Mac they're selling, how many Magic Mice or Keyboards, break down which types of iPhones are selling, or almost anything else except big picture numbers.

Yeah! Base your company on what one guy decided and never change or evolve. That will surely lead to continued growth in the future.
Macs dont sell that well and the things that DONT sell well are clubbed together by Apple which is why it doesnt announce sales numbers on the Watch and also why they had it on a bundle with the iPhone with $50 off.The iPhone already got its own category in contrast

Reactions: Demo Kit

Michael Goff

Suspended
Jul 5, 2012
Macs dont sell that well and the things that DONT sell well are clubbed together by Apple which is why it doesnt announce sales numbers on the Watch and also why they had it on a bundle with the iPhone with $50 off.The iPhone already got its own category in contrast

Macs do sell well for PC, but not compared to the iPhone. I'm assuming the Apple Watch is selling better than any other smartwatch, but the category is so small it isn't worth saying.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.