Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lolkthxbai

macrumors 65816
May 7, 2011
There's numerous videos of both the iPad Pro and Surface Pro editing 4k video. The surface pro might look cool, but looks don't process anything. And fstoppers did a video comparing the surface pro to a macbook pro doing the same thing and the macbook pro whipped it handily, even with 5 or 6 filters going.
I'm not surprised. I've always felt like the surface pro wasn't a great performer compared to the MacBook Pro. Just imagine where the next iPad pro will be in terms of performance.

Radon87000

macrumors 604
Nov 29, 2013
To answer your question, the cc is acceptable as it does not affect phone operation one bit, compared to for example the resprings under iOS 8. The number of times I use cc in one day is minuscule compared to safari go example.

It also seems that when people state their devices don't have an issue or to a lesser degree; those posters are gone after.
Its a pity I dont have a workaround for the lag while I can simply use another browser instead of Safari if it crashes

Aston441

macrumors 68030
Sep 16, 2014
If
I really think the issue with these debates is that some don't seem to understand our relationship with Apple.

We are the consumers. We buy Apple products. We go out, work, earn money, and spend it on their devices -- WE keep THEM afloat. They don't donate their products out of the goodness of their hearts, no, they charge quite a lot and in return WE, again as consumers, expect and deserve a reliable, good product for a reasonable amount of time. Personally, I would say a Mac should last at least 5 years, and an iPhone should last at least 2 years (the length of most carrier contracts) with no visible degradation in performance.

Apple has not delivered on this. No matter which way you cut it, they haven't. iOS 9, even 9.2, on the iPhone 6 is a joke. A complete joke. Now, I don't care if I should turn motion off, or turn on reduced transparency, or whether my 'standards are too high' or if what I see is 'inconsequential'. I, ALL OF US, are consumers and we just shouldn't stand for this, lol.

I think of it like this: when I spend £600 on a phone, when I can easily get a cheap Android one for less than £200, I basically go into an unwritten contract that that phone should be, ya know, a decent quality! And I'm not talking about just the hardware, I expect the software to be top notch. What is hardware good for without software? Yeah, my iPhone 6 is pretty, but when I swipe up the control centre, or scroll through my twitter feed, all of that is forgotten. All I see is bleugh.

My initial question I posted on the other forum remains unanswered, and I am genuinely interested. Why do people contradict those of us who point out and say that an issue exists? Why bother? Why say things like 'well ppl complained about iOS 7 and iOS 8 etc. etc.'. Yeah, good! Whose to say that those complaints didn't at least in part make iOS better?

When we complain, at least for me, the end goal is to get people to listen! To not take this rubbish -- because, as a poster earlier pointed out, to think that Apple is above failure is really, troublingly naive. RIM used to be viewed as invincible. Think about that.

I really do believe that the next couple of years are the make it or break it for Apple, because people are starting to listen and notice. I see it in the reactions and reviews of the Apple Watch, I see it in reactions to the (horrendous) 12" Retina MacBook butterfly mechanism keyboard, I see it in iPad Pro reviews. Apple is slowly but surely losing its shine and I promise you, they won't last the next 10-15 years the way they're going.

Now, will next years iPhone sell miserably? Of course not. It will probably break all the records, like every year it seems. But it won't last forever, and if you REALLY care about Apple and enjoy using their products, I implore you to please either speak out about your negative experiences, or, if you don't have any, refrain from bashing those who do.

P.S. if there are spelling mistakes or rough grammar please excuse me, I have had a few drinks and its 2AM right now, haha.

If Google follows/improved the iOS update model, and requires that all Android devices receive zero day OS updates if the user desires (and allows downdates as well (I just invented that word "downdates" and claim copyright)), Apple will be in serious trouble.

jonnyb098

macrumors 601
Nov 16, 2010
Michigan
I'm not surprised. I've always felt like the surface pro wasn't a great performer compared to the MacBook Pro. Just imagine where the next iPad pro will be in terms of performance.
Performance means NOTHING when the software doesn't take advantage. So right now unless you're trying to export edits in video or render high res images.....its means absolutely nothing. No one cares if the app opens 0.002 seconds quicker on the latest iPad.

Reactions: Demo Kit and dk001

dk001

macrumors demi-god
Oct 3, 2014
Sage, Lightning, and Mountains
Really? So huge institutional investors whose fund managers make millions of dollars a year are short sighted.

Not usually. Then again, Apple is no longer the "favorite" among that lineup
No I know it for fact as I'm plugged into that type of business. But you do know some of this is available online. https://finance.yahoo.com/q/mh?s=AAPL+Major+Holders But in the end this is an anonymous internet forum, so I throw my creds and education out the window and debate point by point on all topics apple. So carry on with that you think investment strategies are all speculation based on your beliefs.

Then can you shed some light on why Apple has been flat for a good while? Don't own any these days but do have some of others in the same arena and they are growing significantly. Knowing this, why would a fund manager still be delving into Apple stock. I'm looking for an opinion as everything I have read / researched lately says to stay away or hold.

Seiga

macrumors regular
Jun 21, 2010

Then can you shed some light on why Apple has been flat for a good while? Don't own any these days but do have some of others in the same arena and they are growing significantly. Knowing this, why would a fund manager still be delving into Apple stock. I'm looking for an opinion as everything I have read / researched lately says to stay away or hold.
It's a hold for sure right now based on analysis. If you look at the 1 yr trend to 5 yr trend of their stock, apple is pretty predictive when to buy and when to sell. It almost always seems like the best time to buy is July/August. Best time to sell is from december-february. The exception was 2013-2014. O'Leary group has an analysis technique that involves analyzing the graphs for predictive analysis.

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it

Have you seen the global and domestic markets lately? Not really anything to write home about. Last year was a far better showing in certain aspects.

And if you guys are really in the know how about sharing some sure fire bets in the market.

Last edited:

BillyMatt87

macrumors 6502a
Dec 23, 2013
Okay, well if it's not acceptable to you, you know what to do I'm afraid. A small visual glitch doesn't destroy the entire experience for me.

The fact that you're willing to except performance bugs and UI glitches just because its Apple is kinda sad. As Apple users who know that Apple is more than capable of producing high quality software to match their hardware, we shouldn't settle as all that does is enable Apple to not care about improve its software quality in every aspect whether it be on the engineering side or the UI aspect.

I've seen iOS, a mobile OS that used to have amazing performance with a fun and beautiful UI turn into something I would never image Apple release let alone develop in the first place. Steve Jobs would undoubtably hate the direction iOS is going in and I would definitely agree with him. Also, I'd love to have been a fly on the wall during one of those executive meetings where Jony Ive and his team showed off the terrible new UI of iOS 7 to Tim Cook and the board and watch them praise the hell out of Ive just because he led the redesign.

Personally, I have spammed Apple's iPhone/iOS feedback page to put in my input since forum venting doesn't lead to change but gave up as iOS made no genuine attempt to improvement in either UI or performance or common sense features that are either not present or were removed for no reason.

Armen

macrumors 604
Apr 30, 2013
Los Angeles
Don't talk like you know anything about Android which clearly you don't.

The Samsung Note 4 is a year old and is just now getting Android Lollipop (which is also a year old)

The Samsung S6 Edge is a brand new phone and it's also just getting Lollipop. (which is a year old)

Lollipop was released in November 2014
Marshmallow was released in September of 2015.

A brand new Samsung phone is running last year's software.

I don't know what I'm talking about right? Or did you assume that after being bombarded with Samsung ads day and night that people are buying Nexus models or "Pure" editions of Android phones?

Last edited:

Seiga

macrumors regular
Jun 21, 2010
I don't know what I'm talking about? Don't make me laugh.

The Samsung Note 4 is a year old and it's just now getting the Android Lollipop update which is already a year old. Google released Marshmellow at the end of September. Maybe the Note 4 will get that update around this time next year.

Not everyone buys Nexus branded or "Pure" versions of Android for your information.

That's like the iPhone 6 getting iOS 8 and not being able to upgrade to iOS 9 until next year while the 6S ships with iOS 9.

Yet there are phones in the Android ecosystem that do timely updates like the Nexus, pure editions, HTC, and much more.

You're comparison in the last statement is comparing apples and oranges. Apple manufactures their own hardware components while taking things like Samsung displays for their phones. They don't have manufacturers that Google has. Updated to iOS contours to their hardware. Updates to Android are spaced with Google devices followed by aosp so that the manufacturers can apply their fixes as well.
Apple doesn't rely on carrier and manufacturer rules due to their contracts. Google has been more open to carriers and manufacturers, but cost them unified updates.

Armen

macrumors 604
Apr 30, 2013
Los Angeles
Yet there are phones in the Android ecosystem that do timely updates like the Nexus, pure editions, HTC, and much more.

You're comparison in the last statement is comparing apples and oranges. Apple manufactures their own hardware components while taking things like Samsung displays for their phones. They don't have manufacturers that Google has. Updated to iOS contours to their hardware. Updates to Android are spaced with Google devices followed by aosp so that the manufacturers can apply their fixes as well.
Apple doesn't rely on carrier and manufacturer rules due to their contracts. Google has been more open to carriers and manufacturers, but cost them unified updates.

Of course there are pure edition Android phones out there but not everyone buys those models so my statement stands true. Depending on what Android phone you get you may or may not get an update and if you do it may come with a long delay as in my example with the Note 4 and S6 Edge.

FWIW I had a HTC Evo 4G back in the day that shipped with Android 2.2. I rooted it, installed Clockwork mod and loaded Cyanogenmod before it was a household name and before he worked for Samsung. Heck, I even had a chat with Kush once on XDA. I'm not that much of a stranger to Android.

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
The fact that you're willing to except performance bugs and UI glitches just because its Apple is kinda sad. As Apple users who know that Apple is more than capable of producing high quality software to match their hardware, we shouldn't settle as all that does is enable Apple to not care about improve its software quality in every aspect whether it be on the engineering side or the UI aspect.

I've seen iOS, a mobile OS that used to have amazing performance with a fun and beautiful UI turn into something I would never image Apple release let alone develop in the first place. Steve Jobs would undoubtably hate the direction iOS is going in and I would definitely agree with him. Also, I'd love to have been a fly on the wall during one of those executive meetings where Jony Ive and his team showed off the terrible new UI of iOS 7 to Tim Cook and the board and watch them praise the hell out of Ive just because he led the redesign.

Personally, I have spammed Apple's iPhone/iOS feedback page to put in my input since forum venting doesn't lead to change but gave up as iOS made no genuine attempt to improvement in either UI or performance or common sense features that are either not present or were removed for no reason.

It's not apple, I would be the same way with another manufacturer such as Samsung. Every release since I started with IOS 4 has had glitches of one type or another. My new SP4 has small glitches that really don't affect overall functionality. This constant if "SJ" were there, how do you really know what "SJ" would have said? Are you in touch with him in the after-life?

Radon87000

macrumors 604
Nov 29, 2013
The Samsung Note 4 is a year old and is just now getting Android Lollipop (which is also a year old)

The Samsung S6 Edge is a brand new phone and it's also just getting Lollipop. (which is a year old)

Lollipop was released in November 2014
Marshmallow was released in September of 2015.

A brand new Samsung phone is running last year's software.

I don't know what I'm talking about right? Or did you assume that after being bombarded with Samsung ads day and night that people are buying Nexus models or "Pure" editions of Android phones?
Galaxy S6 Edge launched with Lollipop.Anyway if you want an Apple style update system in Android just get a Nexus.The Nexus update system is actually better than Apple because I can actually downgrade my phone version down to the minor point releases

lolkthxbai

macrumors 65816
May 7, 2011
No one cares if the app opens 0.002 seconds quicker on the latest iPad.
A lot of people actually do care if their apps open quicker. I'm not sure where you're getting 0.002 seconds from but if the cpu performs twice as fast you'd care too if you were playing a graphics intensive game or waiting for a drawing to open on AutoCad. There's plenty of other uses and developers are only scratching the surface as the iPad pro has only been available for a few weeks.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
A lot of people actually do care if their apps open quicker. I'm not sure where you're getting 0.002 seconds from but if the cpu performs twice as fast you'd care too if you were playing a graphics intensive game or waiting for a drawing to open on AutoCad. There's plenty of other uses and developers are only scratching the surface as the iPad pro has only been available for a few weeks.
The issues in relation to all of this are essentially only aimed at the OS UI and not really beyond that.

jonnyb098

macrumors 601
Nov 16, 2010
Michigan

And the iPad has been out for years.....iOS 7 came out and it took tweetbot about three years to update. I use my iPad heavily every day. It's my main device. But we are at a point where typical apps aren't seeing massive improvements on the iPad pro. My whole point is Apple gets on stage and brags about power......shows off a couple fancy apps and few developers follow suit, especially for gaming. There are some amazing games out there but clouded by a crummy market and freemium garbage. Apple TV will fall down the same rabbit hole unless Apple starts doing a better job promoting or partnering with developers to create more amazing apps and games. Bragging about 100,000 apps ( candy crush clones) isn't exactly high honor. The ecosystem won't advance otherwise. They need to take lessons from Nintendo and Sony by working with indie developers and have an onslaught of killer apps that make people say......wow I gotta have that. No one is saying that with Apple TV or the Apple Watch for example. Apple wants everyone else to tell them.....I just expect more in that regard the company with a quarter trillion in cash. Call me crazy.

Armen

macrumors 604
Apr 30, 2013
Los Angeles
Galaxy S6 Edge launched with Lollipop.Anyway if you want an Apple style update system in Android just get a Nexus.The Nexus update system is actually better than Apple because I can actually downgrade my phone version down to the minor point releases

That's the thing. Not everyone knows about or likes the Nexus. People will usually gravitate toward Samsung phones because of all the advertising or brand recognition. Some cheaper handsets can't even support future versions of Android due to hardware limitations.

If I did happen to go back to Android I would most likely get a Nexus phone even though i can't stand the curved back.

stevemiller

macrumors 68000
Oct 27, 2008
I think h
So what workaround are we talking about that doesn't involve a downgrade in visuals?

My guess he's implying if you don't like it then leave. And sadly he may start getting his wish.

I was a big fan of Apple the last 10 years, and a large factor of that was their attention to detail. Things have never been perfect by any means, but you could sense the attempt was being made. I strongly feel like the new mantra is simply to get things "good enough," and the ever lengthening feature list is more important than the quality of the experience.

In that regard I'm not obsessed with having the latest and greatest. I'd take ios6 over iOS 7-9 any day. I have it on my 4s, and if I'd known how to roll back to it a year ago I'd likely have skipped buying an iPhone 6 entirely.

Anyway, it's a false dichotomy that my disappointment in the direction Apple has taken the last few years means I have to like the direction of android or windows phone. But, when I'm in the market again, I'm probably going to at least start considering the alternatives if only because Apple in my mind no longer offers some unique value proposition.

I do find it weird that some people here would rather drive away long time Apple fans than just say "sorry to hear that bug/performance glitch is frustrating you, hopefully they fix it!"

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
I think h

My guess he's implying if you don't like it then leave. And sadly he may start getting his wish.

I was a big fan of Apple the last 10 years, and a large factor of that was their attention to detail. Things have never been perfect by any means, but you could sense the attempt was being made. I strongly feel like the new mantra is simply to get things "good enough," and the ever lengthening feature list is more important than the quality of the experience.

In that regard I'm not obsessed with having the latest and greatest. I'd take ios6 over iOS 7-9 any day. I have it on my 4s, and if I'd known how to roll back to it a year ago I'd likely have skipped buying an iPhone 6 entirely.

Anyway, it's a false dichotomy that my disappointment in the direction Apple has taken the last few years means I have to like the direction of android or windows phone. But, when I'm in the market again, I'm probably going to at least start considering the alternatives if only because Apple in my mind no longer offers some unique value proposition.

I do find it weird that some people here would rather drive away long time Apple fans than just say "sorry to hear that bug/performance glitch is frustrating you, hopefully they fix it!"
Why do you think a random poster on an internet forum wants to drive away anybody? That seems to me to be peculiar thinking. No one gains from from such an attitude.

I certainly want my expensive little device to work perfectly. In my case, real world, it's not perfect and I have to weight the pros and cons of a non-perfect device against the alternatives. To me the positives outweigh negatives. There also tends to be a reaction on internet forums when blanket statements are being made, such as what has been said about IOS 9 being complete garbage. That obviously is not the case for everybody.

It's up to the individual to decide the appropriate consumer product and if that product is a good fit for their requirements. But continual bashing, name calling, observations of a "personal nature" really don't further any conversation.

lolkthxbai

macrumors 65816
May 7, 2011
And the iPad has been out for years.....iOS 7 came out and it took tweetbot about three years to update. I use my iPad heavily every day. It's my main device. But we are at a point where typical apps aren't seeing massive improvements on the iPad pro. My whole point is Apple gets on stage and brags about power......shows off a couple fancy apps and few developers follow suit, especially for gaming. There are some amazing games out there but clouded by a crummy market and freemium garbage. Apple TV will fall down the same rabbit hole unless Apple starts doing a better job promoting or partnering with developers to create more amazing apps and games. Bragging about 100,000 apps ( candy crush clones) isn't exactly high honor. The ecosystem won't advance otherwise. They need to take lessons from Nintendo and Sony by working with indie developers and have an onslaught of killer apps that make people say......wow I gotta have that. No one is saying that with Apple TV or the Apple Watch for example. Apple wants everyone else to tell them.....I just expect more in that regard the company with a quarter trillion in cash. Call me crazy.

If the iPad Pro had been out already for three years and the iPad apps still didn't take advantage of the new technologies in the iPad Pro, then I could see your point. Apple has done a lot for developers to help support them and help guide them on how to best make use of the new features introduced every time a new software update or piece of hardware is released. They hold the WWDC every year, host sessions online available worldwide to all developers and even hold conferences in person in multiple cities worldwide. They also released guidelines on how to transition an app from a visual standpoint from iOS 6 to iOS 7. And they did partner with Hipster Whale to develop a version of Crossy Road with multiplayer support in time for the new Apple TV launch. The new Apple TV is not going to replace an Xbox One or a PlayStation 4 but it's already winning with casual gamers just like the iPhone and iPod Touch did when it was first released. It's no slouch either and can run some really beautiful games like Transistor, Ocenhorn and Asphalt 8. This is really just the beginning for these products and for the platform too. Apple is not a company that is known to actively compete in the gaming industry so they still have much to learn and can learn from Nintendo and Sony. For example, forcing developers to make Siri Remote support necessary was not a popular move. Many developers were upset and complained about this but they did it because they probably wanted every owner to be able to have access to every game on the AppStore without having to purchase an additional controller. Maybe if they made their own controller then it would make more sense to get rid of that requirement. All I'm saying is that these things take some time but 3 years like you said is definelty too long. Some developers might just be stubborn or not see any incentive to include support for the new technologies if it doesn't bring any value to the app's purpose.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.