Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

newellj

macrumors G3
Oct 15, 2014
East of Eden
I took out my trusty iphone 4 (which is now a glorified ipod) on 7.1.2, as it essentially has the same hardware as an ipad2 sans a cpu. I use the i4 to stream music to bluetooth speakers and listen to music when I don't want deplete the battery on my main device.

I opened up MR in safari. On the bottom of the page is a button labeled use forum theme. Clicking on it results in a safari crash every time. -1 for 7.1.2.

Then for yucks I fired up the ipad 2 on 9.1 and starting opening apps that are essentially as consistent as possible. Surprisingly the iphone 4 beat the ipad 2 by a slim margin in some things, while in others the ipad 2 was clearly faster. While it wasn't an apples to apples comparison (so to speak), my main takeaway, is that safari on 9.1 has come a long way and 7.1.2 is just antiquated at this point as is ios 6.

Interesting results - thanks.

AppleMan2015

macrumors 6502
Sep 25, 2015
DON'T RISK IT!!!!! I had been running 8.4.1 on my iPhone 4s with the only issue being an occasional overheat/battery dive, and updated to 9.1 after restoring factory settings to prepare to give the device to a family member. Now on iOS 9 it has recurring, unpredictable Wifi disconnects both at home and trying it at work. Tried to revert to iOS 8.4.1 but it's no longer allowed by Apple! Reverted back to 9.0.2 and still no dice. Tried everything published on the web: Forget Network, Reset Network, Turn of Wifi and turn back on, Restart, Restore to Factory. It may work for minutes / hours and then disconnect without warning in the middle of something. After disconnecting it often won't even see any Wifi networks, or fails after entering the wifi password. Apple forced an update on me that turned my formerly dependable smartphone into junk. This is the sort of hell that Microsoft used to put its users through - and Mac devotees would say, "see this is why you should switch to Apple". Apple needs to let us revert back to iOS 7 or iOS 8.
Aw man, that honestly seems like the worst review on an older device I've read

ajcgn

macrumors regular
Oct 19, 2014
Toronto, Ontario
my iPad 3 seems to run quicker but crashes more frequently on iOS 9 than iOS 8.
But either way it's a piece of crap and I wish I kept it on iOS 7 like my wife's iPad 2.

FNH15

macrumors 6502a
Apr 19, 2011
I've had my iPad 2 the day it was first available, all the way back on iOS 4. iOS 6 was the fastest, iOS 7 was the most feature filled, and iOS 9.1 is... the most up to date. On 9.1, it's faster than 8.x by a fair margin, but it is still annoying to use (then again, I am used to my 6s now...). I downgraded it to iOS 6.1.3 and have never looked back. To me, having it on 9.1 is far more pretty, but also far less usable. If you use your iPad for "secure" things (think mobile banking, shopping), then keep. update it on 9.1. iOS 6.1 has known bugs. But, if you're like me and use it for more basic things (playing music, reading books, the occasional web browsing,) then downgrade to iOS 6.

wbrat

macrumors regular
Sep 18, 2014
Compared to ios 8? I guess your A5 chip also get upgraded to A8X along the way.

Yes, compared to iOS 8. I am not saying that it is super fast now, because it is not. But it is faster and more stable. The only issue I have is Apple Music pausing, but I am not quite sure if it is iOS dependent.

wickywahwah

macrumors regular
May 6, 2010
I noticed what appears to be a memory issue with my iPad 2 after upgrading to iOS 9. I have updated to 9.1 and haven't had a chance to use it much sense, but here's what was happening. The iPad would randomly freeze briefly and then reboot, seemed like a short reboot, which I read is related to memory. I noticed it first when using the WatchESPN app, which I have never had problems with before. Almost every time I went to scrub ahead/behind, it would crash and reboot the iPad. I noticed this also once while doing updates. Anyone experiencing this? I have an aunt that is having similar issues with her iPad 2 after upgrading.

ajcgn

macrumors regular
Oct 19, 2014
Toronto, Ontario
I noticed what appears to be a memory issue with my iPad 2 after upgrading to iOS 9. I have updated to 9.1 and haven't had a chance to use it much sense, but here's what was happening. The iPad would randomly freeze briefly and then reboot, seemed like a short reboot, which I read is related to memory. I noticed it first when using the WatchESPN app, which I have never had problems with before. Almost every time I went to scrub ahead/behind, it would crash and reboot the iPad. I noticed this also once while doing updates. Anyone experiencing this? I have an aunt that is having similar issues with her iPad 2 after upgrading.
Happens very frequently on my iPad 3 when I am updating the apps. Occasionally when my wife is watching web videos. Did this on iOS 8 and seems more frequent on iOS 9.

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
Happens very frequently on my iPad 3 when I am updating the apps. Occasionally when my wife is watching web videos. Did this on iOS 8 and seems more frequent on iOS 9.
Since iOS 9 my iPad 2 has been a joy to use. Don't have any issues other than the occasional web reloaded message,

doxielover

macrumors 6502a
Apr 12, 2011
CA
I've been using a 4S since the day it launched and iOS 9 is really good on it, no regrets.

My 4s is running so much better on iOS 9.0.2 than 8.4.1. I'm wondering If the old iPad 2 will be better on iOS 9.02 also? Don't want to go to 9.1 as I'm jailbroken.

uhaas

macrumors 6502
Aug 31, 2012
Boston, MA
my iPad 3 seems to run quicker but crashes more frequently on iOS 9 than iOS 8.
But either way it's a piece of crap and I wish I kept it on iOS 7 like my wife's iPad 2.
I was having this problem and a re-install of the OS and restore from backup straightened it out. Haven't had the problem since.

My assumption is the frequent panics of iOS 7 and iOS 8 left the filesystem corrupt. The reinstall re-formatted the filesystem and the restore put it back the way it was. Wasn't quick, restore takes 3-4 hours to get all the apps re-loaded.

Reactions: ajcgn

ajcgn

macrumors regular
Oct 19, 2014
Toronto, Ontario
I was having this problem and a re-install of the OS and restore from backup straightened it out. Haven't had the problem since.

My assumption is the frequent panics of iOS 7 and iOS 8 left the filesystem corrupt. The reinstall re-formatted the filesystem and the restore put it back the way it was. Wasn't quick, restore takes 3-4 hours to get all the apps re-loaded.
Thanks, I will give it a try.

Lexdexia

macrumors regular
Jan 15, 2015
IOS 9.1

Is someone testing it ?
Are performance better ?

iOS 9.1 is horribly optimized, it even lags on the latest iPhone 6S Plus with the A9 chip.

iOS 9.1 is 'usable' on iPhone 4S (if your definition of usable doesn't include fast performance, responsiveness, and buttery smooth animation across the OS)

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
iOS 9.1 is horribly optimized, it even lags on the latest iPhone 6S Plus with the A9 chip.

iOS 9.1 is 'usable' on iPhone 4S (if your definition of usable doesn't include fast performance, responsiveness, and buttery smooth animation across the OS)
Your experience on the 6s+ doesn't jive with others. If you experience lag on the 6s+ your phone is broke.

Lexdexia

macrumors regular
Jan 15, 2015
Your experience on the 6s+ doesn't jive with others. If you experience lag on the 6s+ your phone is broke.

So my iPhone 6S Plus and every other iPhone 6S Plus on display in Apple Stores are broke? Sure, I thought it was a problem with only my device, so I went to my local Apple Store and checked. And all the 6S+ demos had low frame rate when using the multitasking app switcher and spotlight search. It's obvious when the animations are not 60 FPS buttery smooth.

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
So my iPhone 6S Plus and every other iPhone 6S Plus on display in Apple Stores are broke? Sure, I thought it was a problem with only my device, so I went to my local Apple Store and checked. And all the 6S+ demos had low frame rate when using the multitasking app switcher and spotlight search. It's obvious when the animations are not 60 FPS buttery smooth.
It depends on how the phone is configured is my guess. Not every person has animations and transparency configured as such. I'm not talking about me.

Radon87000

macrumors 604
Nov 29, 2013
Although the lag is there its nothing compared to what I am facing on my 6

Lexdexia

macrumors regular
Jan 15, 2015
It depends on how the phone is configured is my guess. Not every person has animations and transparency configured as such. I'm not talking about me.

Sure, Reduce Transparency makes it noticeably smoother. But it's unreasonable for me to experience any lag on a brand new iPhone 6S Plus. Especially being a premium product that costs such a premium price.

Lexdexia

macrumors regular
Jan 15, 2015
Although the lag is there its nothing compared to what I am facing on my 6
I have an iPhone 6 that's also running iOS 9.1. The animations clearly look smoother across the board than my 6S Plus. What lags are you having?

nordique

macrumors 68000
Oct 12, 2014
I personally felt iOS 9 is better on iPhone 4s than iOS 8 was.

Not everyone shares the same opinion, but I do feel the animations are much smoother, the multi task app switcher is a bit quicker, and there is not as much animation lag as there was on iOS 8.

In speed tests, iOS 8 may be better and launch apps faster, but it felt like it jittered and stuttered. iOS 9 resolves those animation issues and makes it feel better overall

Its not as good as iOS 7 or especially iOS 6 was, but its certainly a usable device for your basic needs.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.