Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

T'hain Esh Kelch

macrumors 603
Aug 5, 2001
Denmark
9.2 is a gigantic improvement on my iPad 2 over 9.1. From using it for ten minutes, I believe it is more or less as fast as iOS7.1.2 on the same model. And some things actually feels faster! Very pleasently surprised.

Last edited:
Reactions: jhuynh and I7guy

dingclancy23

macrumors 6502
Nov 15, 2015
iPad mini 1 is running really well with iOS 9.1. The app switching is faster, and getting in and out of apps is no longer painful. Even the software keyboard is much more responsive as I am typing this.

I will see if I can push some old games on these without lagging, but so far the update makes the iPad Mini 1 legit again.

Reactions: jhuynh

Danilo - Italy

macrumors 6502
Oct 22, 2014
IOS 9.2 is very slow on my iPhone 4S. It is usable but very slow, expeccialy Safari.
In my iPad 4 IOS 9.2 is more usable but always a little slow; Safari is the slowest part.

xmichaelp

macrumors 68000
Jul 10, 2012
I have a 4S on 7.0.2 and am debating updating to 9.2. I'm just so sick of not being able to run certain apps. Periscope for example won't even download for iOS 7.

I'm scared to update though...

Isamilis

macrumors 68020
Apr 3, 2012
Thanks for pointing this out.

I think I will downgrade my retired 4s before i used it for backup phone. Currently it has 7.1.2 jail broken, but a bit slow. I need only basic functionalities and... Speed.

You can downgrade to iOS 8.4.1 now with OdysseusOTA 2 now. And you can even revert to iOS 6.1.3 with the same procedure ;)

T'hain Esh Kelch

macrumors 603
Aug 5, 2001
Denmark
Could we keep this thread on subject, and keep comments to iPad 2 and iPhone 4S please?

I have a 4S on 7.0.2 and am debating updating to 9.2. I'm just so sick of not being able to run certain apps. Periscope for example won't even download for iOS 7.

7.1.2 was significantly faster than 7.0.2 on the 4S, so based on comments in this thread, you'd likely not see a slowdown.

alp00

macrumors newbie
Mar 4, 2015

I have update from 7.1.2 to 9.2 on a 4s and I think it runs pretty well. There are loads of security updates since ios 7 , that's why I updated.
I expected it to run quite badly but I was surprised how well it runs. The animations opening and closing folders occasionally stutter. Its not that much slower than ios 7, it's still very usable.
I updated on iTunes which may make a difference.

Reactions: jhuynh

xmichaelp

macrumors 68000
Jul 10, 2012
Could we keep this thread on subject, and keep comments to iPad 2 and iPhone 4S please?

7.1.2 was significantly faster than 7.0.2 on the 4S, so based on comments in this thread, you'd likely not see a slowdown.

So I ended up upgrading... Did a fresh install from iTunes.

7.0.2 is definitely faster. It isn't even close. I was used to a smooth and fast iPhone and now it's not. I thought my device was a brick at first with how bad it was, but it seems to be better now. Safari is totally useless though. Even browsing a single tab is just so slow and the scrolling is awful.

I get like 30 mbps wifi and for some reason it takes like 10 seconds to load a page.

I wouldn't say I regret upgrading just because now I can use Periscope, Apple News, 500px, and some other news apps that were not available to previous versions

rdy0329

macrumors 6502a
Mar 20, 2012
So I ended up upgrading... Did a fresh install from iTunes.

7.0.2 is definitely faster. It isn't even close. I was used to a smooth and fast iPhone and now it's not. I thought my device was a brick at first with how bad it was, but it seems to be better now. Safari is totally useless though. Even browsing a single tab is just so slow and the scrolling is awful.

I get like 30 mbps wifi and for some reason it takes like 10 seconds to load a page.

I wouldn't say I regret upgrading just because now I can use Periscope, Apple News, 500px, and some other news apps that were not available to previous versions

Give it time. Since you made a big jump, the OS might need to reindex all your files. I agree with the person above. Come back with your experience after a day ir twi.

Joelburman

macrumors regular
Oct 31, 2014
I just updated my aunt's iPad Mini 1st Gen (thats also an A5-powered device) to iOS 9.1.
I cannot say that it runs ultra-smooth but in my opinion better that iOS 8.4.1 did! Absolutely OK with reduced transparency and reduced motion activated (was activated on iOS 8, too).

Edit: Found transparency settings under help settings.

Last edited:

caioferrari

macrumors member
Oct 14, 2012
Watching out this topic....

After an awful experience upgrading an iPad mini retina to iOS 8.0.0 ( constant Wifi drops that took a lot of time to get solved by Apple) I did the downgrade to iOS 7.1.2 and I still there.
I'm looking forward to get the great features from iOS 9, but I'm afraid to screw up my iPad that works great now. I'm just a little pissed off with Safari crashes, specially with Facebook.

On the other hand, my iPhone 4S will certainly get away from any update. Is runs iOS 7.1.2 right now and, to be honest I really consider downgrading it to iOS 6. I miss all that speed.

srch

macrumors newbie
Dec 22, 2015
I strongly recommend not updating. generally it's made my iPhone 4s very unstable. apps regularly crash, and the phone restarts itself fairly often. WIFI is particularly bad. the settings pane hangs, will not open or crashes, i have not been able to join any new networks since updating, and the connection to known networks drops enough to be useless. I'm going to try to move back to 7

se95dah

macrumors regular
Dec 30, 2014
I'm finding 9.2 to be much better than 9.0 was on my iPad 2. I originally updated from 8.4.1 to 9.0 on launch day and the performance was terrible, with apps regularly freezing for several seconds. After a few days I downgraded to 8.4.1 and stayed there until 9.2 arrived. 9.2 is much better in my experience. I find it about equal to 8.4.1 in performance, so it's certainly much slower than say iOS 5 used to be, but it's perfectly usable and stable and I have no regrets updating this time.

I'm delighted to have had 4.5 years of use out of this device and as its still performing OK I'll probably hold off on buying a new one for another year. Did anyone get 5 years use out of a Motorola Xoom??

Reactions: Skika and I7guy

Radon87000

macrumors 604
Nov 29, 2013
To the naysayers.It looks like someone finally showed the guts to drag Apple to court on their planned obsolescence strategy.Interesting to see how Apple responds as the plaintiff seems to have proof there is a severe slowdown before and after iOS 9

Reactions: east85
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.