Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iOS 6 or Android 4.1?

• iOS 6

Votes: 176 52.1%
  • Android 4.1 (Jelly Bean)

Votes: 162 47.9%

• Total voters

DodgeV83

macrumors 6502a
Feb 8, 2012
All you have to do is be an informed consumer with the know-how to flash software onto hardware and you will be absolutely content with Android phones. ICS can easily be had on MANY handsets. It's just that some manufacturers out there aren't doing their jobs.

The only people who are upset with Android are the people who have an Apple mentality about their gadgets. They want the almighty Google to do everything for them, even with the fact that Android is on hundreds of devices now while Apple only ships out a single handset every year. Those people are going to sit there for a long time because they're too scared to actually be independent and use the tools provided by their open-source community for their handset, provided that they didn't cheap out and got something nice like an HTC One X.

With open-source software, you have to be a man and do some things yourself. The jailbreakers here know what I'm talking about to some extent, while the helpless non-jailbreak iOS users out there simply have no clue.

Replacing the entire operating system, on the one technology device that holds nearly all of our personal information, with one posted from an unknown source in a message forum, is the epitome of insecurity.

I'm sure if Google posted official ROMs on their website, many more people would take advantage of this...now that I think about it, why doesn't Google do this? Do the carriers really have that much power?

Calidude

macrumors 68000
Jun 22, 2010
Forgot the naming and numbering aspect for a second and just look at how the overall ui looks similar for both updates. I don't know what google has planned, but I won't be surprised even if their next update doesn't change the ui much.
Yeah, they don't have to change the UI much because they already include the ability to actually customize the UI, unlike Apple.

When you find something that works for most people, you stick to it, obviously, but you don't lock people into that grid of icons without giving your users the freedom to go past a grid of icons.

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Mar 29, 2011
People don't buy based on a feature list they buy based on ease of us.

I'm not even necessarily talking about feature list though I'm glad you're conceding the feature list for android is larger than iOS. I'm talking about things like "iOS is more stable and smoother". First of all, iOS is not without its hiccups and occasional lag and issues (I've had folders lag, freezing at the lock screen, and icons go missing...). And secondly the disparity between the two OS' smoothness and stability is becoming a non factor. ICS is already amazingly stable and smooth; on par with iOS. And now it looks like jelly bean is going to take it further.

DodgeV83

macrumors 6502a
Feb 8, 2012
I owned 3 Windows Mobile devices. And this post cannot be further from truth.

Hey, if I'm wrong I'd love to hear how :)

From what I see, widgets, custom ROMs, "true multitasking" custom launchers, custom keyboards, installing software directly from websites, fully browsable file-system, heck I even had Flash support and could rip YouTube videos directly to the memory card.

Nearly all of the Android features I've read about, seen, and heard people tout in arguments, I was doing all of it back in 2005.

bidwalj

macrumors 65816
Feb 16, 2007
Yeah, they don't have to change the UI much because they already include the ability to actually customize the UI, unlike Apple.

When you find something that works for most people, you stick to it, obviously, but you don't lock people into that grid of icons without giving your users the freedom to go past a grid of icons.

I'm talking about the core ui, not just how you skin it or change the home screen. Android 4.0 saw drastic changes from gingerbread. If google now sticks to this interference, android users will begin to complain that it's old and boring too eventually. Sure you can customize certain aspects of the ui, but you can't totally make it something else.

depths

macrumors regular
Apr 17, 2012
I'm sure if Google posted official ROMs on their website, many more people would take advantage of this...now that I think about it, why doesn't Google do this? Do the carriers really have that much power?

That's exactly what google does do
https://developers.google.com/android/nexus/images

and that's where you'd go to get updates from Google the moment they are released if you didn't want to wait for an OTA update.

The security of custom ROMS is another matter but being open source the code is readily available to scrutinise. I've never heard of anyones phone being compromised.

nuckinfutz

macrumors 603
Jul 3, 2002
Middle Earth
I'm not even necessarily talking about feature list though I'm glad you're conceding the feature list for android is larger than iOS. I'm talking about things like "iOS is more stable and smoother". First of all, iOS is not without its hiccups and occasional lag and issues (I've had folders lag, freezing at the lock screen, and icons go missing...). And secondly the disparity between the two OS' smoothness and stability is becoming a non factor. ICS is already amazingly stable and smooth; on par with iOS. And now it looks like jelly bean is going to take it further.

Even an Android at parity doesn't provide safe haven. Google does not run a platform that is as stable as Windows or Mac OS X. The Web is important but notoriously difficult to gain control of as evidence by Google+ not really making a dent in Facebook's momentum.

Android's success came at the right time. Microsoft had lost its strategy for phones, RIM turned into a "push email" one trick wonder and and Apple was on a single carrier.

Today :

RIM's on its death bed
Microsoft has fought its way back
Apple is on more carriers than ever and has largely unified their mobile and desktop platform.

Android is FAR from a shoe-in to even remain in the race.

MattInOz

macrumors 68030
Jan 19, 2006
Sydney
Wait Ice Cream Sandwich to Jelly Bean is only x.1 update?
That makes no sense at all, it's like a completely unrelated method of production.

Not holding out much hope for Jelly Bean. Only the baked goods Androids are ever any good :)

Calidude

macrumors 68000
Jun 22, 2010
If google now sticks to this interference, android users will begin to complain that it's old and boring too eventually.
No, they won't, because Android is modular. Don't like the launcher? Install a custom one. Don't like the setting page? Install a custom rom. Don't want to use the same SMS client? Download another one from the store. Want a more useful homescreen? Install some widgets or a custom homescreen.

This is what Apple is missing, simply because they KNOW their users are mostly helpless people who beg some kid at an Apple store to make their iPhone do something.

LIVEFRMNYC

macrumors G3
Oct 27, 2009
Why not just make a Apple fanboy vs Android fanboy thread? Cause that's basically what the results are from all these versus threads. Can't have nobody state a reason why they like one or the other without some childish replies. And for the simple reason of this being an iPhone section, I gotta place most blame on the Android fanboys.

DodgeV83

macrumors 6502a
Feb 8, 2012
That's exactly what google does do
https://developers.google.com/android/nexus/images

and that's where you'd go to get updates from Google the moment they are released if you didn't want to wait for an OTA update.

The security of custom ROMS is another matter but being open source the code is readily available to scrutinise. I've never heard of anyones phone being compromised.

Very interesting! I read earlier someone was complaining that Verizon was delaying updates on the Nexus or something like that, guess not.

Yes, the code is available to look at, but unless you compile it yourself, there is no guaurantee that the binary you're downloading was from that source code.

nuckinfutz

macrumors 603
Jul 3, 2002
Middle Earth
Why not just make a Apple fanboy vs Android fanboy thread? Cause that's basically what the results are from all these versus threads. Can't have nobody state a reason why they like one or the other without some childish replies. And for the simple reason of this being an iPhone section, I gotta place most blame on the Android fanboys.

I enjoy the threads (obviously). I don't have a problem with Android. In fact this Xmas I may just grab a Nexus 7".

However if someone tells me somethings better they have to be persuasive. I'm ok with someone telling me that Android is best for them. Because I reserve the right to do the same but discussing the relative platform benefits across larger groups of users lets us discuss what we like about our platform, what we dislike and more.

I learn by this exchange of ideas even if it appears to be heated discussion.

Calidude

macrumors 68000
Jun 22, 2010
Replacing the entire operating system, on the one technology device that holds nearly all of our personal information, with one posted from an unknown source in a message forum, is the epitome of insecurity.

These aren't unknown sources. These are developers with high traffic websites who release their source code, officially recognized and reviewed by major publications, with a huge paper trail headed to their bank accounts from donations. They aren't some shady guy lurking in some forum. They're people with a reputation to uphold that can easily be found and prosecuted to the full extent of the law.

Sure, I wouldn't trust some custom ROM that was cobbled by some kid on a forum that few people frequent, but that's where your intelligence comes in so you can avoid that.

And btw, the carriers have power because Google allowed them to have that power due to their business model, since getting this OS into as many people's hands is how they do business. This is why Apple only started on AT&T at first.

jeffe

macrumors 6502a
Feb 17, 2008
I can think of plenty of reasons why someone would want both swype and voice dictation. Anyways, Android currently offers both and Jellybelly brings improvements which is demonstrated at the link below.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fOQPU7YxQ4Q

Nothing wrong with having choices IMO, whether it be in phone OS/ecosystems or in how you are able to use the device.

Like my swype scenario. Why would someone take the effort to learn a new way of using a keyboard over using the very power they've had for 95% of their life. Speech.

Technology is cool but in the end it must be relevant and even pragmatic for the masses to utilize it.

0m3ga

macrumors 6502
Mar 1, 2012
"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication"

Reminds me of when Android users try to show me swype. I then grab my phone. Hit a button and dictate a paragraph of text with punctuation. Then I just look at them and they get the point without me having to say another word.

LOL. You believe the iPhone invented speech to text? Just about every phone with Android has had that feature for years. It is a nice feature on the iPhone, assuming you don't have any sort of accent and speak English. Otherwise, not so great on iphone.

Next thing I am gonna hear from you is how great iPhones notificaion center and turn by turn navigation is (as if Apple invented them for phones.) it is amazing that some people believe Apple invented everything and nothing can be better.

Last edited:

LIVEFRMNYC

macrumors G3
Oct 27, 2009
I enjoy the threads (obviously). I don't have a problem with Android. In fact this Xmas I may just grab a Nexus 7".

However if someone tells me somethings better they have to be persuasive. I'm ok with someone telling me that Android is best for them. Because I reserve the right to do the same but discussing the relative platform benefits across larger groups of users lets us discuss what we like about our platform, what we dislike and more.

I learn by this exchange of ideas even if it appears to be heated discussion.

Yes I agree with that. But that's why I stated fanboys on both sides. They just can't accept anyone having a differ opinion. And I much as I like comparisons and opinionated discussions, the rampant wave of fanboys from both sides which leaves to nothing but trolling is not entertaining no more.

depths

macrumors regular
Apr 17, 2012
Very interesting! I read earlier someone was complaining that Verizon was delaying updates on the Nexus or something like that, guess not.

Yes, the code is available to look at, but unless you compile it yourself, there is no guaurantee that the binary you're downloading was from that source code.

Verizon customers received a differant version of the Nexus (32gb instead of 16gb, larger battery and LTE) and unfortunately, as far as I'm aware, are dependant on the carrier to provide updates (I'm Australian and use an international version).

I'm not doubting downloading ROMS from XDA or Rootzwiki could potentially be dangerous but I've never heard of anyone having an issue. I'd guess that as long as you stick to trusted developers like the cyanogenmod team or AOKP you're pretty safe.

0m3ga

macrumors 6502
Mar 1, 2012

And there is no guarantee what you download from the app store isn't safe. How many apps do we hear about weekly that have to be taken down? How many Apple apps have sneaky ways of getting money off unsuspecting people?

You know how many times I have heard that someones iTunes account was hacked and money stolen out of their account because someone was puchasing hundreds of dollars worth of apps? Don't believe for one second, that Apple = security. At least with Android, you can check every app before you download it to see what it does with your info and OS.

Calidude

macrumors 68000
Jun 22, 2010
And there is no guarantee what you download from the app store isn't safe. How many apps do we hear about weekly that have to be taken down? How many Apple apps have sneaky ways of getting money off unsuspecting people?

You know how many times I have heard that someones iTunes account was hacked and money stolen out of their account because someone was puchasing hundreds of dollars worth of apps? Don't believe for one second, that Apple = security. At least with Android, you can check every app before you download it to see what it does with your info and OS.
Heck, you can't really trust Google OR Apple with your info these days, even.

You're completely right. At least with open source, people can actually choose to rid themselves of malware, both officlal and unofficial.

0m3ga

macrumors 6502
Mar 1, 2012
I think it's ironic that the poll above shows that about two thirds of people on a Mac board voted for Android 4.1 over iOS6.

Calidude

macrumors 68000
Jun 22, 2010
I think it's ironic that the poll above shows that more than two thirds of people on a Mac board voted for Android 4.1 over iOS6.
It's because Steve Jobs is gone so Apple's reality distortion field isn't as strong anymore, especially with the massive disappointment iOS6 was.

0m3ga

macrumors 6502
Mar 1, 2012
It's because Steve Jobs is gone so Apple's reality distortion field isn't as strong anymore, especially with the massive disappointment iOS6 was.

True that. But I would never say anything bad about Jobs. Man was a visionary,hard worker and an amazing salesman. I respect him for what he gave the world and his impact on the tech industry.

----------

Where exactly is the irony?

GPS tracking shows it at 1 Infinite Loop.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.