Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TonyC28

macrumors 68030
Aug 15, 2009
USA
Ran into this error while updating my iPhone 4. :mad:

Apple really need to have handled this better in code -- rather than a scary, vague error message which makes you think your phone is toast, they should have had a "Server busy: Retry?" option.

Agreed. Although the last time I tried it said something like "Unable to connect to the server at this time. Please try again later."

Eric889

macrumors newbie
Oct 12, 2011
First time around, error 3200. (iPhone 4, GSM) Jumped on the forum, read several people finding success after activating airplane mode. Switched it on, hit update..waited for probably a good 20 mins for the backup again then went right through apple's activation points. Hmm

Now, im waiting on "Restoring iPhone apps..."
:p

mechaBORED

macrumors member
Jun 8, 2011
20+ attempts later and my 3rd gen iPod Touch is finally going! Nothing really special done. Just persistence clicking that update button.

Ubbens

macrumors newbie
Dec 15, 2008
the Netherlands
Just to be sure, I myself am not getting error 3200 but instead I keep getting ''The iPhone ''name's iPhone'' could not be restored. An internal error occurred''

Is this the same error? I keep getting it after it tries to verify the restore with Apple. Nowhere am I seeing a code or anything like that though:s

FrogTastic

macrumors regular
Nov 20, 2008
United Kingdom
iPad 2, my Brother in laws 3Gs and my sisters 3GS all dont work. Wont restore and stuck on connect to iTunes.

Apple first the crap iPhone update and now this!

arkon

macrumors member
Aug 17, 2010
appleshirt.png

Omg so ****** off by this!! They had 16 months to test this! Apple iCloud has no QOS for the updaters? Is there maybe a wrong timeout value somewhere??

DogcowUK

macrumors regular
Oct 5, 2007
Tried all combos of Updating/Restoring/DFU restore/Airplane mode etc with no joy.

Apples servers have melted, why don't they gradually roll out the update based on region for all the "normal folk" and let us nerds update when we like from the hidden IPSW :rolleyes:

caazz

macrumors newbie
Aug 10, 2011
Yep my iPhone is going now - in process of restoring apps. Persistence is the key. I just kept clicking restore - lucky for me it worked third time but I can see that others just keep getting the same message. Just keep trying is my advice :eek:

BigTroll

macrumors member
Mar 21, 2010
Maybe apple is using a farm of Performa 6200s with OS 7.5 and Global Village 28.8kbps modems to authenticate their software :apple:

still nothing....

LaLLLy

macrumors member
Jul 12, 2010
Yep my iPhone is going now - in process of restoring apps. Persistence is the key. I just kept clicking restore - lucky for me it worked third time but I can see that others just keep getting the same message. Just keep trying is my advice :eek:
So is mine.... Knock on wood;)

flamingkitties

macrumors newbie
Sep 7, 2010
Preston, Lancashire
Seventh time....I'd be able to get a lot more tries in if it didn't take 20-40 minutes each time to back up this stupid thing. I don't know why I'm bothering to do it at all (yes I do), when I'm queuing at stupid o'clock on Friday fora new one.

Faffy

macrumors newbie
Oct 11, 2011
Devon UK
LOL that was great!!!!

Anyone by chance run across the 3002 error?

yes i has the 3002 and then 3014. i looked up the error code and it looks like the server is down and overloaded !! or my pc has cocked it up !!

Had an idea even Apple's server wouldnt cope with such and iconic update as ios 5 !! i stayed up til 3 am this morning aswell hoping the software update would be shipped after midnight !!

brudog68

macrumors 6502
Feb 20, 2011
TN USA
You guys saying your on the 10th-20th time...How is that possible? Is it not taking a long time to re-do the "backup" each time?

Just curious as each attempt here it did backup each try and that in itself took close to an hour.

By the way 3rd time was the charm and finally past the 3200 error and in the middle of restore at the moment...crossing fingers

sjprxrph

macrumors newbie
Oct 12, 2011
I was only able to succeed when I did a direct download of the iOS update to my computer and ran it from the download (outside of iTunes). The download will start iTunes up again but it proceeded and completed. It might have been coincidence but it worked for me.

jmcgarrell

macrumors member
Dec 11, 2008
Boston/Beverly, MA
I've tried it about 20 times just updating after the actual update was installed.
3200 every time.... got on here to see if there were any tricks to get it to work.

Put it in airplane mode, and worked on first try......

Coincidence or not, TY! lol

aresinferno

macrumors regular
Oct 13, 2008
This is absolutely the worst experience I have ever had with an apple product. I kept getting the same error as everyone else... for the first few times. Then I got another error and my phone was in recovery mode. So I tried restoring. Another error. Luckily nothing had really happened and I was able to get back and iOS 4 was still there with all my settings. So I tried again. This time my phone was stuck in recovery mode. Couldn't seem to get out of it so I tried to restore again. Another error. Now my phone is on an endless loop of apple logo -> loading indicator -> apple logo...

I need my phone to actually work and right now it is utterly useless. I didn't do anything any different to anybody else but my phone simply doesn't work.

zacheryjensen

macrumors 6502a
May 11, 2009
You guys saying your on the 10th-20th time...How is that possible? Is it not taking a long time to re-do the "backup" each time?

Just curious as each attempt here it did backup each try and that in itself took close to an hour.

By the way 3rd time was the charm and finally past the 3200 error and in the middle of restore at the moment...crossing fingers

If you right click the iOS device in the sidebar and tell it to back up, it won't try to back up every time you try to update.

BigTroll

macrumors member
Mar 21, 2010
I tried airplane mode too, it always stops at the verification of the software with apples server, meaning their stupid servers are overloaded.

AlexJaye

macrumors 6502
Jul 13, 2010
It finally worked for me. After I turned off my Mac's firewall. IDK if that helped or what, but it's worth a try :)

zacheryjensen

macrumors 6502a
May 11, 2009
Oh and the airplane mode thing is completely coincidental. It's iTunes accessing the server, not the phone.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.