Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nwlondonlad

macrumors 65816
Sep 20, 2007
UK London
Hi everyone, not sure if this has been mentioned anywhere else but T-Mobile are doing a mico sim only deal for iPhone 4 where you get 12 months free internet, limited to 500mb per month.

I've bought 2 of these and they work perfectly in iPads. All you do is insert the sim into your iPad or iPhone 4 and call T mobile (landline, mobile, twitter) and ask them to activate your free 12 months internet. Once they have activated it you will receive a text letting you know its been activated.

I know 500mb is little but for a one off £10 (which you still keep as a top up) its quite a good deal.

http://www.t-mobile.co.uk/shop/iphone/micro-sim/

Online its £15 but if you walk into any T-mobile store you only pay for the £10 top up. Just don't tell them its for your Ipad

yegon

macrumors 68040
Oct 20, 2007
That sounds almost too good to be true! I take it you have have to top up every month, or is it as you say, a one-off payment of £10? Surely not....

ct2k7

macrumors G3
Aug 29, 2008
London
PCW update on my order. Someone was looking for my delivery specifically at the warehouse. Turns out that there was nothing there for me.

What I do know, is that stock is scheduled to come in today. They've agreed to keep me updated via phone call on this.

nwlondonlad

macrumors 65816
Sep 20, 2007
UK London
That sounds almost too good to be true! I take it you have have to top up every month, or is it as you say, a one-off payment of £10? Surely not....

Its a one of payment, like i said its an iphone 4 deal. The whole point is to give you 12 months free internet as an incentive for you to top up your phone with pay as you go.

For instance, if you choose to top up £10 every month, T-mobile throws in an extra 100 mins talk time.

MattZani

macrumors 68030
Apr 20, 2008
UK
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_1 like Mac OS X; en-gb) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8G4 Safari/6533.18.5)

Fell in love with the iPad 2, none in stock at west quay though :(

yegon

macrumors 68040
Oct 20, 2007
Its a one of payment, like i said its an iphone 4 deal. The whole point is to give you 12 months free internet as an incentive for you to top up your phone with pay as you go.

For instance, if you choose to top up £10 every month, T-mobile throws in an extra 100 mins talk time.

Great spot there then! Cheers!

Not bought an iPad 2 yet (had an iPad 1 3G) and was leaning towards wifi only this time as I didn't really use 3G enough to warrant the £7.50 I was paying 3. But given that £110 will give me 3G functionality and a years mobile internet I'm thinking of going 3G again now. 500mb is *easily* enough per month for me.

sochet

macrumors regular
Nov 1, 2006

What's the reception like?

nwlondonlad

macrumors 65816
Sep 20, 2007
UK London
Great spot there then! Cheers!

Not bought an iPad 2 yet (had an iPad 1 3G) and was leaning towards wifi only this time as I didn't really use 3G enough to warrant the £7.50 I was paying 3. But given that £110 will give me 3G functionality and a years mobile internet I'm thinking of going 3G again now. 500mb is *easily* enough per month for me.

Yeah its a good deal, I just sold my iPad 1 3G but got and used the sim before selling it. Just now trying to get my hands on an iPad 2 3G.

The reception in my area is fine and the speed tests i got when using the iPad were

PING 204ms
DL 1.45 Mbps
UP 0.29 Mbps

2nd test
Ping 206 ms
DL 1.66 Mbps
UL 0.30 Mbps

yegon

macrumors 68040
Oct 20, 2007
Are Apple still doing that post-9pm reserve and collect thing? I see no mention of it on their website, it's ended or am I looking in the wrong place?

yegon

macrumors 68040
Oct 20, 2007
It ended last week.

Booooo! Thought it sounded faaar too simple considering other people's woes. Haven't been in any great rush to get an iPad2, been on holiday amongst other things this past month and honestly thought I'd be able to simply buy one from a store by now.

Thanks for the info though.

yegon

macrumors 68040
Oct 20, 2007
Yeah, I've been keeping an eye on that but it always seems to be PC World/Currys that gets stock in, and judging by a few on here they don't appear reliable...or am I wrong?

THFourteen

macrumors 6502a
Apr 8, 2010
London
can't vouch for either unfortunately.

I know from personal experience John Lewis and Tesco Direct are great, both with next day service. They do go quickly on those sites tho

wrecker

macrumors newbie
Jun 20, 2010
Managed to order a ipad2 32g wifi yesterday with pc world when they had stock in. Does anyone know how to find out when they are sending them out? Anyone else managed to get one ordered yesterday?

ct2k7

macrumors G3
Aug 29, 2008
London
Managed to order a ipad2 32g wifi yesterday with pc world when they had stock in. Does anyone know how to find out when they are sending them out? Anyone else managed to get one ordered yesterday?

They haven't had stock in for a while. I know iPad stock was due in today, but I don't think it's arrived yet. Call tomorrow morning, at 9AM.

ct2k7

macrumors G3
Aug 29, 2008
London
I haven't managed to call yet, but will do later today.

Currys and PCW showed stock through 3-7AM. They could have had a delivery, but I haven't heard anything from them yet.

I won't be in for the next two hours, so I would appreciate if someone could check for me with CS.

ct2k7

macrumors G3
Aug 29, 2008
London
Just called PCW, they're not sure of what's going on - they don't see any stock, and still on forward order. I got my legal side out and reminded the lady that on Monday 26th, the day is marked as the 30-day limit to which they have to deliver, or forfeit the contract. Till date, they've done a pretty piss-poor job of their contractual obligations to me - they haven't indicated that they won't be able to make this date either!

ramshaw

macrumors newbie
Oct 24, 2007
I ordered from Argos last night as they were showing, and still are, that they had stock on http://www.ipad-stock.co.uk/. They let me pick the delivery time so naturally I picked the soonest which is between 7am-3pm tomorrow. I'm sceptical that they pull it off with the bank holidays but I'll happily be wrong :eek:.

The problem is I had an existing preorder with Apple and from the looks of things they have put some kind of hold on the money in my account for when they shipped, which seems a bit dodgy to me as most retailers don't charge you until just before shipment. Hopefully that doesn't slow things down.

sochet

macrumors regular
Nov 1, 2006
I ordered from Argos last night as they were showing, and still are, that they had stock on http://www.ipad-stock.co.uk/. They let me pick the delivery time so naturally I picked the soonest which is between 7am-3pm tomorrow. I'm sceptical that they pull it off with the bank holidays but I'll happily be wrong :eek:.

The problem is I had an existing preorder with Apple and from the looks of things they have put some kind of hold on the money in my account for when they shipped, which seems a bit dodgy to me as most retailers don't charge you until just before shipment. Hopefully that doesn't slow things down.

Oh it will. I had a utter, utter nightmare getting my iPad from Argos. For starters the bank may have blocked your payment as it might have accidentally been seen as fraud (most banks do this for large payments on personal accounts these days)

I've got a long post on the previous page with all my problems getting my delivery. I hope they don't use Home delivery network to ship your iPad!

Last edited:

ct2k7

macrumors G3
Aug 29, 2008
London
Ordered from Argos, delivery on the 26th.

Time to cancel PCW who won't have stock in for the next 2-4 weeks.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.