Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

LikeWoah

macrumors newbie
Mar 5, 2012
Zweimeter would be so damn legendary if he managed to predict it.

Anyway, I'm certainly not getting my hopes up, as wonderful as this sounds... Apple has always trickled down its features a few at a time, one generation a time. I can't see two major updates (retina display, and haptic display) being announced at once. Perhaps a year too early for this!

scootaru

macrumors 6502
Nov 7, 2008
Columbus, OH
If they announce this feature today, I can't think of a better demonstration than bringing a blind person on stage to read something on the iPad. News outlets would eat that stuff up.

Bensalama21

macrumors regular
Jul 17, 2011
If they announce this feature today, I can't think of a better demonstration than bringing a blind person on stage to read something on the iPad. News outlets would eat that stuff up.
That is an amazing thought! If that does happen, you should write your own book about it.

gkpm

macrumors 6502
Jul 15, 2010
This will be very interesting :) My money is on yes.

15 minutes to go.

wonza

macrumors member
Oct 15, 2008
I wonder if this is all an elaborate ploy by samsung (or whoever) to make us all disappointed :D

marksman

macrumors 603
Jun 4, 2007
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A334 Safari/7534.48.3)

gpsouza said:
I think that its quite a possibility.

Watching the CNET video about Senseg though, its talks about modifying the electrostatic field to change the friction against the screen ...

I'm wondering: If it does it for the whole screen ( modifying the field ) , does that mean that multi-touch haptic feedback is not possible? or would it be able to modulate sections of the screen so that each finger can sense something different.

----------------------

Taking that a step further, it could open up a lot of possibilities for visually impared / blind users.

Even if they do something like this, it depends also the software! It can not simply assume what goes on on the screen and materialize it. Programers would have to completely re-code their programs.

It's not an option for this iPad or even iPad 4

That doesn't make sense.

Of course they could release it and then programmers can update their programs to work with it. Some special developers could already have apps ready

Not saying it will happen but saying it won't happen by iPad 4 is naive. At this point this seems a lock for the iPad 4

wonza

macrumors member
Oct 15, 2008
Well we'll all find out in 10 short minutes. Whatever we say here won't change the outcome :p

guch20

macrumors 6502
Aug 15, 2011
Michigan, USA
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

scootaru said:

Too much could go wrong. "Apple embarrasses blind person when tech demo fails."

marksman

macrumors 603
Jun 4, 2007
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A334 Safari/7534.48.3)

The interesting thing to me is this would cripple android competively as it would be two years before an android release would be readily available to go to the hardware.

charlituna said:
Well Apple did invite the press to see and touch the next iPad.

by it's general nature you touch the iPad. So that could be all that line is about.

Except that is not how apple writes these things.

Last edited by a moderator:

borgqueenx

macrumors 65816
Jul 16, 2010
to bad people! :(
well i guess its waiting for the ipad 4 then ^^
kinda sad but expected this to happen.

would have expected apple to have a hidden meaning in the invitation. Guess not :(

number84

macrumors 6502
Mar 30, 2011
too bad...that would have made it an unbelievable device. but i think they got enough in it to warrant an upgrade.

Clive At Five

macrumors 65816
May 26, 2004
St. Paul, MN
This will be very interesting :) My money is on yes.

15 minutes to go.

... It appears you lost.

If haptic touch is to be implemented in the iPad, the rumor mill will pick up on this well in advance, my guess is.

...Or Apple will flat out BUY Senseg.

Last edited:

wonza

macrumors member
Oct 15, 2008
if senseg retain rights and dont sell to apple, they'd make far more money industry wide (if it's as good as they claim)

scootaru

macrumors 6502
Nov 7, 2008
Columbus, OH
My advanced knowledge of marketing indicates that Tim Cook was playing a big joke today. The real event will be tomorrow.

My prediction is that in 4 months the new iPhone will be released with this new Senseg technology and iOS 6.0 will activate the hidden feature within the new iPad which wasn't available at launch because further testing was needed.

/end pipedream/

striker33

macrumors 65816
Aug 6, 2010
Wow, really. After all this time someone reports my comment.

I guess even in the world of Apple fans, there's always that 1 grumpy parent who likes to think the world is full of innocence and sober teenagers.

sheilaef

macrumors newbie
Jan 13, 2008
SF Bay, CA
Coolest thing about today

was reading about this, and seeing the Youtube video this morning and thinking- that invitation said "see and touch"! Wow!

Least coolest thing about today was sneaking a peek every so often at the feed from the presentation and realizing it wasn't happening.

Cooler screen, a bit faster chip, hmmm. I think I'm hanging onto my gift certificate for a bit more time. The $349 iPad 2 refurb is a deal though.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.