Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

waloshin

macrumors 68040
Oct 9, 2008
Say and touch to me seems like Apple saying come see our new iPad 3 and be the first to get a hands on.

So that almost sounds like no new iPad for 3+ months.

And I watched the video on their product site, and I believe you will not be able to feel minute details like wool and cashmere, what it does is lowers the resistance of the screen, therefore, you will still be touching a glass screen just at a slower pace. push down slowly on your ipad's or iphone's screen and it sure feels like sand paper.

Can't wait to be -99 soon!

Flood123

macrumors 6502a
Mar 28, 2009
Living Stateside
If thats true, that's some pretty cool stuff. One thing that would be unfortunate is that if it didn't function with the screen protector that a lot of folks use.

Believer

macrumors newbie
Mar 7, 2012
Yes

1. iPhone (first one)
2. iPhone3G (new phone)
3. iPhone3Gs (same phone faster)
4. iPhone4 (completly new phone with retina)
5. iPhone4s (same phone faster + siri -just software-)

1. iPad (first one)
2. iPad2 (new iPad)
3. iPad2s (sorry folks, this will not happen)
3. iPad3 (retina and faster)
...hmmm
Two years after the introduction of the retina display on the iPhone they come up with a retina display as a USP? C'mon folks. Apple is a leader and it's time for hardware news after struggling for leadership with a beta software on the iPhone. The trademark sold the iPhone 4s, not the device itself.

The iPad is a personal computer, it points to a different market than the iPhone. It is their homeressort. They have to include this technology. It's THE evolution of touch displays, of handheld computers, of computing devices of our future.

No doubt, this technology will be presented on stage! I think this night is gonna be legen....you know...daryyyyy!

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
Sounds really neat—but if Apple/Senseg rumors are true, it seems to soon to bear fruit: just 3 months ago on CNet video, Senseg said they were hopeful of having something in the market within 12 months, but it “could slip” to 24 months. They could have said “definitely within 12 months” or something if the iPad 3/HD used it, since the technology and surrounding agreements were highly likely to have been finalized with Apple by then if it were coming now.

It’s certainly possible that Apple could have told them to throw out misleading timeframes, as part of some agreement (maybe even leading to a promised purchase of the compay.) Except wouldn’t Apple have just told them to not talk to the media at all? In the video Senseg was showing a non-Apple tablet with their technology, and talking vaguely about multiple vendors. Doesn’t sound like an demo that Apple had any hand in.

I bet the “smoke” leads to the “fire” that Apple has played with this in their labs, for possible future use. Not for delivery today. I’d love to be wrong. Still, between this and the retina display, the high res probably matters more!

SmoMo

macrumors regular
Aug 20, 2011
Touch and Go

Maybe there will be a recipricol electric current when you move your finger so that you can power the iPad when the battery is low by moving your fingers on the screen.

When it gets down to 5% a little crankshaft appears which you can wind to recharge.

sclawis300

macrumors 65816
Apr 22, 2010
Beyond just the "iPad HD" rumor, there is also the intriguing addition of the "Catalogs" category in the App Store....

Using haptic technology, a user could actually feel the products for sale. Imagine actually feeling wool, cashmere, or suede clothing via a catalog app on the iPad. Now that would be MAGICAL!!

you are kidding, right? Right?????? why dont we just wrap our bodies in the stuff, that would probably be cheaper than buying actual cashmere.

guch20

macrumors 6502
Aug 15, 2011
Michigan, USA
Sounds really neat—but if Apple/Senseg rumors are true, it seems to soon to bear fruit: just 3 months ago on CNet video, Senseg said they were hopeful of having something in the market within 12 months, but it “could slip” to 24 months. They could have said “definitely within 12 months” or something if the iPad 3/HD used it, since the technology and surrounding agreements were highly likely to have been finalized with Apple by then if it were coming now.

It’s certainly possible that Apple could have told them to throw out misleading timeframes, as part of some agreement (maybe even leading to a promised purchase of the compay.) Except wouldn’t Apple have just told them to not talk to the media at all? In the video Senseg was showing a non-Apple tablet with their technology, and talking vaguely about multiple vendors. Doesn’t sound like an demo that Apple had any hand in.

I bet the “smoke” leads to the “fire” that Apple has played with this in their labs, for possible future use. Not for delivery today. I’d love to be wrong. Still, between this and the retina display, the high res probably matters more!
. Maybe they got done early. Remember, Corning thought there'd be no way they could get Gorilla Glass production up to speed before the release of the iPhone, but after talking with Steve Jobs, they pushed and got it done.

Hopefully these folks had a chance to talk to Mr. Jobs.

wonza

macrumors member
Oct 15, 2008
I think I'm starting to doubt this more now. To get hardware changes like this fully integrated takes ages, then you have months of testing and refinement. Let alone changes to the software to fully support it. Then you also have changes to the API to allow devs to take advantage of it.

eclipseblur954

macrumors regular
Mar 19, 2011
While like the rest of you really wish this technology makes the cut, i HIGHLY doubt it. A. it seems not quite there yet (and you know apple must perfect the product before introducing it) B. It will be a key selling point for iPad 4, apple doesn't use processor speeds and ram storage numbers as selling points. They use key features, this year will be retina and 4g, next year will be haptic and new design.

rmwebs

macrumors 68040
Apr 6, 2007
Some interesting facts about Senseg's technology:

- You can even feel the effect from a small distance, without touching the screen:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=Yv-R1IzNYPc#t=187s

- When used frequently, it reduces battery life around 5%
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=_11yYgt-h84#t=288s

Actually the whole GizmoFusion video is worth watching, it sums up a good bunch of information plus you can see the Senseg guy struggling not to mention Apple, haha. :p ( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_11yYgt-h84&t=6m31s )

IMO 5% is pretty decent for such a cool addition. I wouldnt really mind the battery life being slightly reduced by it. I'd assume though that an option to disable it would be provided in the settings app.

eclipseblur954

macrumors regular
Mar 19, 2011
. Maybe they got done early. Remember, Corning thought there'd be no way they could get Gorilla Glass production up to speed before the release of the iPhone, but after talking with Steve Jobs, they pushed and got it done.

Hopefully these folks had a chance to talk to Mr. Jobs.

They spoke 3 months ago.... Steve passed a few months before that

whooleytoo

macrumors 604
Aug 2, 2002
Cork, Ireland.
I think I'm starting to doubt this more now. To get hardware changes like this fully integrated takes ages, then you have months of testing and refinement. Let alone changes to the software to fully support it. Then you also have changes to the API to allow devs to take advantage of it.

Apple could build in support for it; so for example any standard iOS button in any app would 'feel' like a button.

However, that wouldn't work for games or any apps that create custom UI elements; that would require work on the part of the developers.

I tend to agree, it may be coming, but not today. (Would love to be wrong!)

Dorje Sylas

macrumors 6502a
Jun 8, 2011

Well Senseg already has a base API for their tech which Apple could link to, although I'm not sure they would.

Actually some big changes come to mind in Universal Access. With a haptic screen it would totally be possible to get a Braille mode into iOS. Outside of a Braille mode I think Apple would be inclined to create a haptic rendering mode for UI and Web elements. For example giving the lines around these posts could be given a texture as part of a custom rendering of the page. Very big software changes to implement which hasn't really been rumored by the trickles out of the developer community.

StangerHD

macrumors newbie
Mar 7, 2012
you are kidding, right? Right?????? why dont we just wrap our bodies in the stuff, that would probably be cheaper than buying actual cashmere.

No, I'm not kidding. I do think that it would be a frigggin' amazing technology. Don't you?

If you look at some of the links that have been posted earlier on this forum, Senseg does showcase different textures -- gravel, corrugated material, sandpaper -- so it's not a huge leap to being able to feel clothing or other materials in catalogs.

But as I mentioned, I don't anticipate it happening this generation...it's simply too short a timeline based on Senseg's own comments. If the tech actually works and has a lifespan of 2+ years on a device, I do think it will come eventually.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.