Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mainomega

macrumors 6502
Jun 5, 2007
It was on 8.1 as the 8.1.1 update wasn't available. Like I said in my previous post. It still vibrates when the volume is high but my issue was that it vibrated even at low level settings.
The previous and current vibration aren't even the same. The current one vibrates like you would expect a wall to do when playing loud music (follows the beats). The previous one vibrated at low levels and at a high vibration frequency... like not with the bass/music beats. Hard to explain but you KNOW there is a problem when you feel it.

I didn't have any other issues with the old ipad other than the vibration so I'm happy now. No screen issues or bending. The rear pressure would cause the screen to deform but it only did it when applying a lot of pressure and wasn't an issue when I used it with one hard so not a big deal.

Traverse

macrumors 604
Mar 11, 2013
Here
Image your disappointment if you wait 11 months and the iPad Air 3 has the same vibration characteristics.

I thought of that which is why I decided to buy another one. But the second one had a bad screen defect and after two bad units I just decided to wait until next year.

luckylisp

macrumors 6502
Feb 2, 2006
NY state
I was going to upgrade to the Air 2 from my Air 1 on Black Friday, but using the Best Buy demo of the Air 2 the vibration was pretty extreme. I wasn't expecting it to be *that* bad. Sticking with my iPad Air 1 now.

bushido

Suspended
Mar 26, 2008
Germany
Holy i just got my iPad Air 2 today and typing while listening to music is like getting tiny orgasms in your finger tips. Its almost like haptic feedback. The whole back and screen is buzzing and im on like 40% volume

s2mikey

Suspended
Sep 23, 2013
Upstate, NY
Holy i just got my iPad Air 2 today and typing while listening to music is like getting tiny orgasms in your finger tips. Its almost like haptic feedback. The whole back and screen is buzzing and im on like 40% volume

Sucks, doesn't it? It took me five minutes at best buy to experience this issue.

Oh well, my Air is doing great and will easily last me until the next ipad which is only about 10.5 months away now :)

bushido

Suspended
Mar 26, 2008
Germany
Sucks, doesn't it? It took me five minutes at best buy to experience this issue.

Oh well, my Air is doing great and will easily last me until the next ipad which is only about 10.5 months away now :)

I wonder how this ever made it into production like that tbh. That's not even an oversight, it's straight out "we don't care, its thin"

I am surprised there's not more backlash about it in the media

jdogz

macrumors newbie
Nov 12, 2013
I have an iPad Air 2 128GB Wifi - space grey in a smart case and the sound vibration is NOT that bad when HOLDING it. It does take a little getting used to. Something I can live with.

iPad 4 did not do it unless volume was turned up real loud (did not notice as much though). In my eyes this is a MINOR issue. You can definitely feel it through the screen and bottom part by speakers with volume hardly turned up (will notice more with louder volume).

The ipad air 2 will not move across a table or anything like "vibrate mode" on an iphone.

On the plus side volume is way louder not to the point where it distorts.
It's way lighter than an ipad 4 etc. Has touchid and "2GB Ram", fastest device so far. The sound vibration effect is cool with games.

It's better than the "SCREEN DISTORTION" issue with "HARDLY any PRESSURE being applied" in certain points when "holding". Checked before buying and most display models were doing this. I showed the salesman and there reply was that's what happens when you go thinner - yeah right. Mine does NOT do this thankfully.

Last edited:

s2mikey

Suspended
Sep 23, 2013
Upstate, NY
I wonder how this ever made it into production like that tbh. That's not even an oversight, it's straight out "we don't care, its thin"

I am surprised there's not more backlash about it in the media

Well, much of the media and review outlets are on cruise control with Apple device reviews and the reviews are always positive. It's the same for other big advertisers products too, in fairness.

And, they play with the device for like ten minutes and call it good. They dont live with the device for a week or more. They probably don't try or even use it the way most people do.

The thing is that there ARE many other forums and outlets reporting this but none of the reviewers have. Google will show that this problem is not limited to "Mac rumors whiners" despite what the apologists say about it. It's a real problem and is a deal killer for many of us. Sure, some folks don't care or aren't bothered by it. I get that, and that's fine. But it's real and it's happening. Cannot be denied.

I'll wait for the next gen to upgrade. NO big deal to me.

netnative

macrumors 6502
Nov 21, 2013
Puerto Rico, USA
I have a 128GB Space Grey Wi-Fi + Cellular iPad Air 2 and the vibration is very noticeable --with or without the leather Smart Case. I still do not know what to do with it but I am not satisfied. The vibration makes the most expensive tablet on the market feel like a low-end product.

s2mikey

Suspended
Sep 23, 2013
Upstate, NY
I have a 128GB Space Grey Wi-Fi + Cellular iPad Air 2 and the vibration is very noticeable --with or without the leather Smart Case. I still do not know what to do with it but I am not satisfied. The vibration makes the most expensive tablet on the market feel like a low-end product.

Get rid of it. Return it and maybe try another one. There is NO way I'd keep a $800 dollar device that acted like that.

At least swap it out and see of the next one you get is a little better. Otherwise, just wait til next release when they'll fix this.

bushido

Suspended
Mar 26, 2008
Germany
Get rid of it. Return it and maybe try another one. There is NO way I'd keep a $800 dollar device that acted like that.

At least swap it out and see of the next one you get is a little better. Otherwise, just wait til next release when they'll fix this.

I dont see how they could fix it. The device is simply "too thin" unless they change the position of the speaker

s2mikey

Suspended
Sep 23, 2013
Upstate, NY
I dont see how they could fix it. The device is simply "too thin" unless they change the position of the speaker

True, but perhaps they'll somehow make it slightly thicker but keep the weight the same? Perhaps a thin but effective padding or layer to buffer the speaker from the screen. Something has to be done though. Even if they got rid of the screen vibrations and let the back stay as it is. That'd be fine with me.

It's the screen vibrations that are the deal KILLER here. Oh well.

ayeying

macrumors 601
Dec 5, 2007
Yay Area, CA
I just got the space gray 128gb air 2. The speakers are loud, of course it'll vibrate a little bit. But it's not bad compared to how people are describing it

Morac

macrumors 68020
Dec 30, 2009
It's the screen vibrations that are the deal KILLER here. Oh well.

I don't get that sentiment. I don't knew about others, but I don't keep my fingers or hands on the screen. I tap or occasionally type, so if would seem that the back or sides vibrating (where it's actually held) would be worse.

majkom

macrumors 68000
May 3, 2011
I don't get that sentiment. I don't knew about others, but I don't keep my fingers or hands on the screen. I tap or occasionally type, so if would seem that the back or sides vibrating (where it's actually held) would be worse.

It vibrates on back side as well as on display... apple screwed this up

s2mikey

Suspended
Sep 23, 2013
Upstate, NY

Yeah, but for many of us we have music going while typing and doing other stuff so the screen part is worse for us. Either way, it's BS. Oh well.

Newtons Apple

Suspended
Mar 12, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida
I admit that the speaker is different than the units in the past but it is no deal breaker for me. I just bought my 2nd Air 2 and we are both enjoying them!

It is just not that big of a deal for us.

netnative

macrumors 6502
Nov 21, 2013
Puerto Rico, USA

I was hesitant on whether or not to keep it. But comparing it to my wife's iPad Air 1 swayed me in favor of returning it. I played the same song on both devices. Not only did the iPad Air 2 vibrate noticeably, the sound in the Air 2 was relatively distorted. For the time being, I will keep using my iPad mini 2.

s2mikey

Suspended
Sep 23, 2013
Upstate, NY
I was hesitant on whether or not to keep it. But comparing it to my wife's iPad Air 1 swayed me in favor of returning it. I played the same song on both devices. Not only did the iPad Air 2 vibrate noticeably, the sound in the Air 2 was relatively distorted. For the time being, I will keep using my iPad mini 2.

Good call. If you would have kept it past the return window you may have regretted it.

The next model wil be out soon enough and those of us that held out can see what next year brings :)

AppleRobert

macrumors 603
Nov 12, 2012
Good call. If you would have kept it past the return window you may have regretted it.

The next model wil be out soon enough and those of us that held out can see what next year brings :)

May I ask why you are so vocal on this thread? Everyone already knows your stance.

s2mikey

Suspended
Sep 23, 2013
Upstate, NY
May I ask why you are so vocal on this thread? Everyone already knows your stance.

Why not? Is there a reason not to be? Many folks are vocal here. You included. Heck, many of us are on lots of threads. Its good to rap with others about the devices and whats going on with them.

I dont get your concern, quite frankly. Sir. Unless its bothering you on a personal level for some reason?

AppleRobert

macrumors 603
Nov 12, 2012
Why not? Is there a reason not to be? Many folks are vocal here. You included. Heck, many of us are on lots of threads. Its good to rap with others about the devices and whats going on with them.

I dont get your concern, quite frankly. Sir. Unless its bothering you on a personal level for some reason?

I have been on some threads no doubt. Carry on but I rather take my new approach and move on after voicing my opinion. It ain't like I would change one's decision regardless. Most folks have made up their mind one way or the other but with approaching BF sales for the Air 2, ...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.